• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell is #134 on Forbes' richest people of USA 2016 list

Venus Van Dam

Neo Member
giphy.gif

So that's how Steam works?

Robot Pants

Maybe he should finally step down and retire and let someone else take over.
Maybe we'd get an actual game out of them finally. Dare I say even a Half- Life sequel?

Adnor

Banned
Maybe he should finally step down and retire and let someone else take over.
Maybe we'd get an actual game out of them finally. Dare I say even a Half- Life sequel?

Or they would go public and then investor would shit on everything Valve's been building these last few years.

I hope Gabe Newell doesn't retire anytime soon.

Tenck

lol how this guy gets a free pass of not releasing games and Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft get criticized to hell and back everytime they either delay/cancel a game is beyond me.

PC gamers are too easy on him.

Too busy enjoying the updates Valve puts in to their games for free.

Christhor

What's more amusing to me is that Notch is so "close" at 1.3 billion, despite only making one game. Happy for the guy either way.

SparkTR

I kinda expected more ?

The entire PC gaming industry is kinda under his (steam) thumb.

Steam barely accounts for much for the PC industry. Battle.net and Blizzards offerings alone probably eclipses Steam worldwide, never mind the other behemoths in China

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When people ring the "monopoly!" alarm bell, it's usually with the assumption that monopolies will subvert the quality of their supply or raise prices without the counterbalance of competition.

In Steam's case, their """monopoly""" comes from actually lowering prices beyond all reason. What would be the consumer-side benefit if Steam's dominance is broken up? In a hypothetical world where GOG, GMG, Amazon, Uplay, Origin, UWP, Steam, etc. each have a similar amount of marketshare, alongside various independent digital game distributions like Minecraft and League of Legends, what would they actually be competing for?

Lower prices? We already have that! And it would result in massive client bloat as well.

People talking about valve's "monopoly" make an interesting argument.
It is kind of like how google "monopolize" the internet and no one cares because the services they provide are mostly superior to the competition.
Dude put together a killer service and its making him bank. Good for him.

AHA-Lambda

Steam barely accounts for much for the PC industry. Battle.net and Blizzards offerings alone probably eclipses Steam worldwide, never mind the other behemoths in China

???

Source on that cos I just don't believe you.
There is no way Battle.net is bigger than Steam

Wow I expected Lucas to be loaded, but Spielberg is rich as hell too. Gabe is understandable, he's the owner of a massive business that sells things every second.

From where do you guys think most of Spielberg money comes from? Can't be box office percentages alone, can it?

Vitet

???

Source on that cos I just don't believe you.
There is no way Battle.net is bigger than Steam

World of Warcraft is still a beast in revenue. And Overwatch is above any Steam game too. I don't think if it's bigger but their games makes a lot of money.

tPJMxxe.png

DgM3f0K.png

lol how this guy gets a free pass of not releasing games and Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft get criticized to hell and back everytime they either delay/cancel a game is beyond me.

Free pass? People are constantly complaining about Valves move away from developing single player titles. Though comparing Valve to the first party console manufacturers doesn't make much sense.

riotous

Banned

That's an exaggeration; at least in the Western market Steam is likely the largest single source of sales.

Yes, huge players exist outside of Steam, but Steam does several billion a year in revenue most likely.

Here's an estimate from 2015:

http://gearnuke.com/steam-sales-2015-valve-generated-total-3-5-billion-paid-games/

And the company I believe is outright owned by 2 people, and doesn't have many employees or big costs. It's why Gabe is so filthy rich.

He could probably sell Steam for far more than he is worth now too.

ArjanN

Probably because PC gamers already have a massive backwards-compatible library of games they can play and also get more new games than the consoles.

Momentary

Banned
I'm still waiting for the day for Valve to go public... which will probably be never. I am on standby though. I would sell 70% of shares I have now just to buy into Valve.

I'm still waiting for the day for Valve to go public... which will probably be never. I am on standby though. I would sell 70% of shares I have now just to buy into Valve.

I would buy in as well, but man the possibility of valve being destroyed by a hostile takeover is so not worth it.

Lucian

Page 2 and this thread already has some of the best responses ever. Does anything bring out the GAF snark better than Gabe?

Kayant

How would they estimate his net worth when value don't release any data?

Still the jump from September 2016($2.2B) to August($4.1B) is insane if anyway near accurate.

How would they estimate his net worth when value don't release any data?

Still the jump from September 2016($2.2B) to August($4.1B) is insane if anyway near accurate.
and the HTC Vive is going to bring him more wheelbarrows of money too

nothing stops the GabeN train

Top Bottom