• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motherboard - Steam is Full of Hate Groups

I can’t believe Valve is such a profitable company with a huge billionaire at the helm, but somehow they can’t be bothered or spend the low amount of money to weed out the cesspool in their platform garden.
I don’t like easy platitudes, but honestly, that failure looks like the logical conclusion to this creeping techno-libertarian worldview, where human and social problems somehow fix themselves thanks to crowdsourcing and algorithm.

I don’t think they get these averse effects by design, I just think they don’t care too much about them because they’re still successful so who cares. There’s little incentive for them to course correct.

If a news editor can find all these groups by searching for basic keywords, then so could a moderator. A moderator would also be able to remove these groups.

Curators is not full of (obvious) hate groups. Steam has 21000+ curators. Searching "nazi" brings back 5 results, two of which appear to be anti-Nazi. Jew, 9. Trump, 11.
Maybe Valve does have people (or robots) cleaning that up. Two of the Nazi ones in the article appear to have been removed.

Steam groups is a different story...

Steel

Banned
If a news editor can find all these groups by searching for basic keywords, then so could a moderator. A moderator would also be able to remove these groups.

Curators is not full of (obvious) hate groups. Steam has 21000+ curators. Searching "nazi" brings back 5 results, two of which appear to be anti-Nazi. Jew, 9. Trump, 11.
Maybe Valve does have people (or robots) cleaning that up. Two of the Nazi ones in the article appear to have been removed.

That would require them to hire an actual moderator.

red731

cLcB3ti.gif

The level of any moderation on Steam is... non existent.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that Valve leaves these groups alone but passes the members' info to the FBI.

I mean, let's think about it for a moment. If Valve shuts these assholes down, they'll just scurry somewhere else and the Feds will have a harder time tracking them down. But if they're all congregating in plain sight, it's easier to keep tabs on them.

This kinda makes sense right?

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that Valve leaves these groups alone but passes the members' info to the FBI.

I mean, let's think about it for a moment. If Valve shuts these assholes down, they'll just scurry somewhere else and the Feds will have a harder time tracking them down. But if they're all congregating in plain sight, it's easier to keep tabs on them.

This kinda makes sense right?

No. That's commonly referred to as mental gymnastics, a phenomenon that some people find themselves engaging in in an attempt to make something seem logical or rational when it's not.

El Sloth

Banned
Doesn't Valve's top brass all drink from the Silicon Valley libertarian paradise koolaid? To be expected from them and their bullshit

Sadly, that’s a good portion of them. Most of the younger people who got into that don’t obviously get the original joke. I used to game with some of them and it was obnoxious. Everyone isn’t like that of course.
2 of the most popular curators that are always on the front page have 'Master race' in the title. It really does make Steam look shit.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
None of this should be shocking for anybody who ever visited the steam forums.

Gabe Newell is a billionaire and is one of the 100 richest people in the US.

You don't get rich by spending money, geez

/s if it wasn't clear

Z..

With such low counts of average members per toxic group it's no wonder they're not doing anything. I doubt anyone of import is breathing down their necks about this and in a country where money is god and capitalism is the bible you will never deliberately debilitate your earning potential unless forced to.

Top Bottom