• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 360 Games on Demand Thread of UnUnified Prices, Releases & Paying Way Over Retail

OldJadedGamer said:
FINALLY!!! Thank you. Now we can say that COD2 is "way over retail".

Says it's out of stock. It could be $0.01 or $15,000 and it wouldn't matter cause you can't buy it.

So are you saying 14.99 is some temporarily out of stock special price? How cunning of them.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
30 bucks for a launch game for a 5 year old system is waaaaay too much. Good game or not.

Charge 20 for it. I understand wanting to set a floor on prices on the games and not letting the discounting get out of hand. 20 bucks is a good sale price for a good older game.

30 should be the price for newer AAA games (say 1-2 years old).

OldJadedGamer said:
Show me where I can buy it on Amazon for $14.99 and you have an argument. Another poster already showed an in stock available game for $15 at newegg.com so like I said... now this game can be considered "way over retail".

Btw, check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Game-Year-Xbox-360/dp/B000L3YRF0/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1249617639&sr=8-12

LOL

I don't know what argument this is about but I could order it right now for 14.99 and they will send it to me when they get a copy. At the end of the day I still paid 14.99.

Everything about DD is cheaper for the publisher yet we have to pay the "Can't piss off retailers" Tax. Great, consumer gets screwed again.

xbhaskarx

__DreamVsPS2__ said:
hold on, are you saying that cod 2 at $30 isnt overpriced?

Did you read the comment that you quoted? I said the exact opposite of that... I said I'm NOT suggesting anyone pay $30 for CoD2, and that there are better deals available (eg newegg).

OldJadedGamer said:
Show me where I can buy it on Amazon for $14.99 and you have an argument. Another poster already showed an in stock available game for $15 at newegg.com so like I said... now this game can be considered "way over retail".

Btw, check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Game-Year-Xbox-360/dp/B000L3YRF0/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1249617639&sr=8-12

LOL

Here you go...

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=46220244&extid=FroogleVG

But I think the point is that these are "new" prices with a case, booklet, the whole fucking works AND you could take the damn thing to a friend's house if you wanted. To buy a $30 digital copy that doesn't come with shit, is locked to your account, and can never be resold is just an ass-raping. Just drop it to $20 like anyone with an ounce of common sense would do, gain some good will with the gaming community, and save yourself a metric shitload of bitching online.

And remember these are new prices. I could find 5 copies of the game for $30 if I tried.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Did Microsoft not even give this whole pricing thing more than 10 seconds of thought?

MiDNiGHTS said:
I don't know what argument this is about but I could order it right now for 14.99 and they will send it to me when they get a copy. At the end of the day I still paid 14.99.

Uhhh, hate to break it to you but just because you ordered something from Amazon that is out of stock doesn't mean it's coming to your house. I've been shopping there for years as a Prime customer and there are many... many items I've tried to order from them that were out of stock that have never shipped... ever.

And you are wrong. At the end of the day you are not paying $14.99 for the title through Amazon since they don't charge your card until it ships so if they don't ship it "at the end of the day" you aren't paying $14.99 for it. It's out of stock, you aren't buying it and they aren't shipping it.

xbhaskarx

StoOgE said:
30 bucks for a launch game for a 5 year old system is waaaaay too much. Good game or not.

Charge 20 for it. I understand wanting to set a floor on prices on the games and not letting the discounting get out of hand. 20 bucks is a good sale price for a good older game.

30 should be the price for newer AAA games (say 1-2 years old).

I pretty much agree with this.
CoD2 should be $20, that's the price that makes sense. $20 may still may be overpriced, but it's as low as they can go and if people don't want to pay it they don't have to.

BigNastyCurve said:
Here you go...

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=46220244&extid=FroogleVG

But I think the point is that these are "new" prices with a case, booklet, the whole fucking works AND you could take the damn thing to a friend's house if you wanted. To buy a $30 digital copy that doesn't come with shit, is locked to your account, and can never be resold is just an ass-raping. Just drop it to $20 like anyone with an ounce of common sense would do, gain some good will with the gaming community, and save yourself a metric shitload of bitching online.

And remember these are new prices. I could find 5 copies of the game for $30 if I tried.

But you are bitching about DD in general. When the first full game came out for DD on the PSN (Burnout Paradise) it was the same price as retail and every one including myself saw it as a great thing. Not sure I remember anyone bitching about used prices of the game. This is a great move forward to release day DD titles even if it's not done completely right at the start.

Btw, someone already found COD2 cheaper through newegg.com and in stock for this one title.

OldJadedGamer said:
Uhhh, hate to break it to you but just because you ordered something from Amazon that is out of stock doesn't mean it's coming to your house. I've been shopping there for years as a Prime customer and there are many... many items I've tried to order from them that were out of stock that have never shipped... ever.

And you are wrong. At the end of the day you are not paying $14.99 for the title through Amazon since they don't charge your card until it ships so if they don't ship it "at the end of the day" you aren't paying $14.99 for it. It's out of stock, you aren't buying it and they aren't shipping it.

What if they do ship it and then charge me 14.99? Just because something happened to you does not mean that applies true 100% of the time for everyone else. The entire point is that the price will not be changed back up to 30 when they have copies and down to 14.99 when they are temporarily out of stock.

MiDNiGHTS said:
What if they do ship it and then charge me 14.99? Just because something happened to you does not mean that applies true 100% of the time for everyone else. The entire point is that the price will not be changed back up to 30 when they have copies and down to 14.99 when they are temporarily out of stock.

What if.... what if.... You won't know that "if" until it happens will you? The point was dead simple. Today... right now... you CANNOT buy COD2 from Amazon for $14.99. Can you in 6 months? Maybe. If tt's not in stock... it's not in stock no matter what price it is since you can't buy it. It's not rocket science here buddy.

AAAANNNNYYYYYYWWWAAAAYYY, as someone else pointed out at newegg.com it's cheaper and in stock so this one single title can be considered over priced. All I wanted to see was that these games could be found cheaper new at retail and I could get right now... for cheaper than what they were sold for on DD.

OldJadedGamer said:
What if.... what if.... You won't know that "if" until it happens will you? The point was dead simple. Today... right now... you CANNOT buy COD2 from Amazon for $14.99. Can you in 6 months? Maybe. If tt's not in stock... it's not in stock no matter what price it is since you can't buy it. It's not rocket science here buddy.

The reason I made that post was because someone said it was 34 dollars on Amazon and I showed them that it is not. I never said anything about today, yesterday, or tomorrow...those are your standards.

MiDNiGHTS said:
The reason I made that post was because someone said it was 34 dollars on Amazon and I showed them that it is not. I never said anything about today, yesterday, or tomorrow...those are your standards.

We are talking about DD downloaded games though. DD games are never out of stock so it's silly to compare it to an out of stock item at at a retailer to something you can always get right this second.

That's like saying, I'm throwing a party tonight and need a fifth of vodka. My grocery store has it for $15 bucks but they are out of stock and I'll have to wait 2 weeks for them to get it in. My corner liquor store has it in stock but it's $30 bucks. I want to get drunk now... do I wait 2 weeks and save half the money or do I go and get it now for double the price and start drinking right this second?

Burai

shitonmychest57
OldJadedGamer said:
But you are bitching about DD in general. When the first full game came out for DD on the PSN (Burnout Paradise) it was the same price as retail and every one including myself saw it as a great thing. Not sure I remember anyone bitching about used prices of the game. This is a great move forward to release day DD titles even if it's not done completely right at the start.

Btw, someone already found COD2 cheaper through newegg.com and in stock for this one title.
Burnout was still a relatively new game and had price parity with retail.

These games are old, widely available for less. They are the sort of games you'd buy for 10 bucks on impulse with your grocery shop and play for a few hours, not something you'd want to invest 30 dollars and any decent amount of time in.

Burai said:
Burnout was still a relatively new game and had price parity with retail.

These games are old, widely available for less. They are the sort of games you'd buy for 10 bucks on impulse with your grocery shop and play for a few hours, not something you'd want to invest 30 dollars and any decent amount of time in.

But they aren't widely available for less... new are they? So you're saying that Burnout wasn't for sale used when the PSN version hit? Again, you could purchase Burnout used for way cheaper once it hit PSN but no one complained. Everyone was just happy to have a retail to DD title go up. Also, age means nothing. Panzer Dragoon Saga is about 15 years old and it still cost $100 bucks used. My point is that they are the same price on live as they are new outside of COD2 which is a rip off.

the reason why its over priced is probably because MSFT doesn't want to piss off retailers... imagine the backlash if they priced the games lower than their retail counterparts... if it were the same price, i imagine people would be 50/50 on whether to download or purchase at a store, and retailers would still get pissed off...

that is prolly the reason that they are taking it slow, trying to see if the people buying the games are buying it as an impulse thing, and wanting to gauge the impact it has on retailers...

next-gen... my guess is that we will see a far better pricing mechanism and perhaps pay-per-play options (i.e. pay for 48-72 hours of use at a time)... retail and rental will be utterly disrupted when and if GOD goes mainstream with highly competitive prices...

Chrange

Banned
PSGames said:
But if these are platinum hit titles than retail isn't making much off them anyway. I say fuck retail when it comes to these older titles and price them at no more than $20 MAX.

Retail makes a ton off games that are older - those $25-35 impulse sales generate a lot of money. I think it was Ubisoft who recently showed a decline in revenue and (though they also blamed piracy, which got ALL the press) blamed a great deal of it on catalog sales being unusually low.

Old titles don't sell 100,000 copies in a month, but they move enough to matter.

OldJadedGamer said:
But they aren't widely available for less... new are they? So you're saying that Burnout wasn't for sale used when the PSN version hit? Again, you could purchase Burnout used for way cheaper once it hit PSN but no one complained. Everyone was just happy to have a retail to DD title go up. Also, age means nothing. Panzer Dragoon Saga is about 15 years old and it still cost $100 bucks used. My point is that they are the same price on live as they are new outside of COD2 which is a rip off.
i'd love to pay for the used versions of these digital downloads.

OldJadedGamer said:
We are talking about DD downloaded games though. DD games are never out of stock so it's silly to compare it to an out of stock item at at a retailer to something you can always get right this second.

That's like saying, I'm throwing a party tonight and need a fifth of vodka. My grocery store has it for $15 bucks but they are out of stock and I'll have to wait 2 weeks for them to get it in. My corner liquor store has it in stock but it's $30 bucks. I want to get drunk now... do I wait 2 weeks and save half the money or do I go and get it now for double the price and start drinking right this second?

The whole point of DD is to bring costs down for all involved. If you are being beaten by retailers on price then you only have convenience left.

MiDNiGHTS said:
The whole point of DD is to bring costs down for all involved. If you are being beaten by retailers on price then you only have convenience left.

In theory, I totally agree but let me ask you... when have you ever seen console DD for any system cheaper than retail? Retailers still carry a very big stick with MS/Sony right now and they are more then happy to bend over for them because right now... they have to.

Lothars

Alphahawk said:
I still don't understand why that's a good thig. High Markup Prices+Large install size=me loving retail for life.

It's not a good thing and it won't be for a long time if ever because prices won't drop and I can promise you 90% of the games listed here you can buy at retail for cheaper than they have listed here.

I can go and buy Mass Effect for 20 bucks cdn at retail but on live I have to pay 30 bucks cdn, it's not fully about retail but that's a big part of it but even without retail, I don't think we would see much difference than we are now.

Gowans

Updated the op with the Canadian points and Australian Pricing, I'll add more as they come (when I get the time).

It's crazy MS have priced it so they have basically killed the service on arrival outside the US, I really wish they would ave stuck to there guns and maintained reasonable prices and one worldwide price point.

I'm surprised none of the big sites/blogs have picked up on the complete mess that is this service yet.

Gowans007 said:
Updated the op with the Canadian points and Australian Pricing, I'll add more as they come (when I get the time).

It's crazy MS have priced it so they have basically killed the service on arrival outside the US, I really wish they would ave stuck to there guns and maintained reasonable prices and one worldwide price point.

I'm surprised none of the big sites/blogs have picked up on the complete mess that is this service yet.

Epic failz then, i cant even be arsed to fire up the xbox that has the new dash on to look. I might have impulsed bought one or two of these at decent prices but hellz no at prices on show. Wow ms wow.:lol

snoopeasystreet said:
Yeah, I'll try it with my US and Japanese accounts. Worst part of all is that I already have Mass Effect.
Just to confirm, to check the region compatibility you have to try it on a different region of console, not a different region of gamertag. If it was that easy to cheat the system we'd all be doing it!

Also Mass Effect is region free on disk anyway so it's not the best game to test. I'm sure the region coding will be the same as on the disk games though.

To whoever said that getting Japanese shmups on the service would get them buying, me too. If they release those for anywhere near 2000MSP (and the Japanese stuff looks like it's going to be cheaper) then I'm all for GoD. Maybe there's a use for it after all.

Gowans

Guess Kotaku has picked this thread up (blocked at work) but just got a text off a Uni mate asking why my gamertag was the source :lol

Anyone want to copy and paste there interpretation in the thread?

Hammer24

Banned
Gowans007 said:
Guess Kotaku has picked this thread up (blocked at work) but just got a text off a Uni mate asking why my gamertag was the source :lol

Anyone want to copy and paste there interpretation in the thread?

You´re welcome! :D

Kotaku said:
Did you think that when Microsoft's Games on Demand service launched, it'd be an egalitarian wonderland where every game would be the same price around the world? Well sorry. That's not the case.

The service (well, the listing for it; you can't download the games yet) is popping up all over the world for those signed up to Microsoft's new dashboard preview, and along with the game listings are game prices. Not every game seems to have turned up yet, but most have.

Some of them are fine. They're exactly what you'd pay at retail for the game, and although you could say that's still a rip-off (since your digital product lacks a box and printed manual), that's how digital delivery rolls these days. Sorry.

Most games are divided between two main price points.

$20

Mass Effect
Need for Speed
Sonic the Hedgehog
Viva Pinata

$30

Lego Star Wars
Oblivion
Call of Duty 2
BioShock
Assassin's Creed

But others? Others are ridiculous, especially when you compare prices across different regions. Take poor Australia, for example. In Australia, if you want to buy Mass Effect from the safety of your couch, it'll cost you 6000 Microsoft Points.

The game retails in stores for AUD$30-50, but on Games on Demand, that's AUD$99. Over twice the price. It's a similar story with Call of Duty 2; in the US, it's 2400 MSP, but in New Zealand, it's 4400 MSP.

Now, before you go bananas, the Games on Demand service doesn't officially go live until August 11. So there's a chance these might be placeholder prices (or in the case of the previously-unannounced BioShock, placeholder...games?). Then again, they might not be.

We've got some questions in with Microsoft about how permanent these listings and prices are, and will update if we hear back from them.

In the meantime, you can consult the GAF thread below, which is being constantly updated with prices from around the world.

[Gowans007 @ NeoGAF]

Gowans

Really interested in MS's response on this if Kotaku can get it.

Especially focusing around why they have broken their universal pricing structure on this set of digital download stuff (why its ok with DLC & XBLA but not this) and their reasoning why people in other areas have to pay more.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Do the digital version of these games include some kind of digital manual available from the pause menu or something? How is that handled for PS digital download games on PSN?

onken

DarienA said:
Do the digital version of these games include some kind of digital manual available from the pause menu or something? How is that handled for PS digital download games on PSN?

Nah Burnout just points you to the website as far as I'm aware. PS1 games are great though, they have a hi-res scan of the original manual which you can pull up at any time from the PS menu.

domlolz

Banned
DarienA said:

I think I read that the manuals are provided to you in the form of a web address

Anyway, they should of went with a price of around £15(1800-2000 points) and I might of bought something but £20, nahhhhhh

tim1138

OldJadedGamer said:

AAAANNNNYYYYYYWWWAAAAYYY, as someone else pointed out at newegg.com it's cheaper and in stock so this one single title can be considered over priced. All I wanted to see was that these games could be found cheaper new at retail and I could get right now... for cheaper than what they were sold for on DD.

Here's another: using GoD Viva Pinata is $20, but you can buy it new (and its in stock) from Amazon for $10. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HCL5QO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Bioshock - AU: $49.95 - 3000MSP

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - AU: $49.95 - 3000MSP

35am9ow.png

Digital distribution, fuck yeah.

To make things fecking worse, I'm finding that Mass Effect to be downloading mad slow.

I mistakenly bought it this morning at 1am and have been downloading it ever since. It's at 59% (14:09).

Granted, I only have a 3mb connection but when I download off steam I can usually leave a game downloading at night and its their when I wake up.

I live in a rural area and only have access to a bicycle and the bus service but in the time that it's taking me to download the game I could of got the bus into Dublin City (an hour away) bought the game and returned home. The further kick in the groin is that I could of got the game for cheaper doing this despite the bus costing me 6.50 for a return trip.

Sort this shit out microsoft

Top Bottom