• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

jem0208

The controls really aren't bad.

They're completely different to the old ones so they take a while to get used to. However, after a few hours I've noticed they're clearly better than the old ones.

You have a much finer grain of control over everything.

NOKYARD

It wasn't metric.

It was based on World Units where 1WU = Master Cheif's height. Map coordinates are still as they have always been, it's just the Primitives which changed.

It wasn't metric.

It was based on World Units where 1WU = Master Cheif's height. Map coordinates are still as they have always been, it's just the Primitives which changed.

we used metric as a reference point to scale to the world units on the old blocks for 3d modelling

that feeling when you rotate a piece on a 30° angle and don't have to do any math or freehand it
rejoice.png

Homeboyd

So, how many people were watching my stream earlier? My display said 9 but then i noticed 59 new followers in my inbox.

Also, file saving is broken and the team is looking into it as we speak.
You had 86 or so at one point. Thanks for streaming for as long as you did. Caught part of the saving issue thing. What was happening there?

NOKYARD

They apparently fixed the saving glitch already. You could Save As but not Save or Quick Save.

Going to go look in 5 minutes and complete the Grifball test court if saving is indeed fixed.

It took me a bit to get used to the controls, then I wanted to see all the items. I believe I placed one of probably 30%-40% of everything and I need to take a break. There's just so much.

Noobcraft

I'm a total forge noob, but would it be possible to build a large space station with rotating parts/asteroids around it? How large can things scale up?

With Halo 5, sharing maps has been changed. This is taken from the Halo Waypoint press release for Cartographer's Gift. "At launch, Forge will support a basic implementation of File Browser, which will allow you to bookmark, play, and share maps and modes created by players on your active roster. This doesn’t require a 'mutual' friendship, but only that you follow the player you want to grab a map from. From the player details page, you’ll be able to view a player’s files and their bookmarks. To grab a map or mode, simply bookmark the file, and it’ll be ready to play in custom games or open up in Forge."
Well that's a major disappointment. I'm not bothering with this unless they improve this.

Is there news on what they plan after launch?

It's hard to believe that we were capable of providing people with a download link to our maps, gametypes, and video clips 8 years ago.

They apparently fixed the saving glitch already. You could Save As but not Save or Quick Save.

Going to go look in 5 minutes and complete the Grifball test court if saving is indeed fixed.
Wait, is Grifball a gametype now?

I thought Assault wasn't in this game.

jem0208

Well that's a major disappointment. I'm not bothering with this unless they improve this.

Is there news on what they plan after launch?

It's hard to believe that we were capable of providing people with a download link to our maps, gametypes, and video clips 8 years ago.

Wait, is Grifball a gametype now?

I thought Assault wasn't in this game.
This is only a "basic" implementation of file share. It's quite likely they'll update and improve it.

welp i did it. scripted an asteroid to spin around and float on a loop. looks a bit jittery though so i'll keep messing with it.

edit: game crashed when i tried to add a third script lol

seeing people make a lot of cool stuff with scripting though.

FyreWulff

The metric thing is funny because iirc during Reach, Bungie stated that the Halo world is canonically metric because "it's the future, and the future is progress" or something like that.

we non-canon now

Random17

The metric thing is funny because iirc during Reach, Bungie stated that the Halo world is canonically metric because "it's the future, and the future is progress" or something like that.

we non-canon now
Bungie is to metric as 343i is to US customary units.

I'm half serious with that comment.

mouse and keyboard plz

Or just swap A and B with the bumpers. The old scheme was really easy to speed forge with, especially if you had magnets on. And coordinate editing used to be a single button press away.

We have way more control and precision now, but speed forging is dad.

Unless you have an Elite Controller.

Welfare

I don't know if it is just glitchy, or the Xbox One can't handle it, but trying to change the time of day just takes forever to load and sometimes stutters while loading.

HTupolev

Why is altitude on A/B and selection on LB/RB? This is exactly opposite of everything ever, and it's not obvious to me how it accelerates anything.

BraXzy

Why is altitude on A/B and selection on LB/RB? This is exactly opposite of everything ever, and it's not obvious to me how it accelerates anything.

It really confuses me. Especially since while you are moving said camera, your thumb is unavailable for Z movement o_O

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man I put in 20min and found it complicated lol but I am sure it will get better once I explore more.

But forging is just not my thing, looking forward to all the maps from talented GAF people

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This is too complex for me. I appreciate adding more depth for the hardcore forgers, but by doing that the ease of use is gone.

The menus are insanely cluttered and cutting the premade structures was dumb.
Yeaaaah. I think I agree. Will be good for the community though.

RowdyReverb

Does crushing damage kill Spartans?
For instance, would a Star Wars style garbage compactor created with scripting prove deadly, or just goofy?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So, scripting pieces to move is only on the x, y, and z axis? No rotation? :(

RowdyReverb

It really confuses me. Especially since while you are moving said camera, your thumb is unavailable for Z movement o_O
I assume it's so you can select/deselect multiple objects at once. Imagine trying to do that while taking your thumb off of the RS.
Or maybe it's secretly a ploy to make you buy an Elite Controller

Makes no sense.

A should be select and B should be deselect like we've been conditioned to do since the dawn of games. The bumpers are much better when they're used for movement because it speeds up workflow.

I assume it's so you can select/deselect multiple objects at once. Imagine trying to do that while taking your thumb off of the RS.
Or maybe it's secretly a ploy to make you buy an Elite Controller

You're more often moving around the canvas than you are drag-selecting multiple pieces.

Computron

in the stream they said this is the equivalent of keeping your hands on the home row on the keyboard for them.

apparently no one there changes elevation, or else they must have an extreme claw grip. I guess they multi select and deselect all the time.

i cannot get used to the select and i don't think it really works without a mouse, but I change elevation all the time.

Also, did they invert the orbit controls or is my muscle memory going crazy?

Top Bottom