• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Powered by Custom Nvidia Tegra Chip (Official)

NVidia already built like 90% of this with the Shield tablet... how much that is different depends on what's new in the dock.

vaderise

So if anyone wants to know the power levels are like this:
Wii U = Robin (Tim Drake)
Switch = Nightwing
Xone= Batman

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
And there we go. Really interesting to hear them talk about a new API, that's the kind of thing Nintendo never would have talked publicly about before, which bodes well for them being more open about technical details this time around.

Nvidia being involved in the software/API side is good news in and of itself as well.
Definitely. I just hope it's not running CUDA..

JV3bwkD.png

Lister

Banned
NVIDIA gaming technology is integrated into all aspects of the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system, which promises to deliver a great experience to gamers.

Probably fanciful daydream, but could this possibly also mean streaming PC games to the Switch, like the NVidia tablet?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So we know it's Tegra, but we still don't really know any deets.

Wonder if we will get any hard details before launch or not.

OCD Guy

I'm glad they've gone for Nvidia. They generally provide very good hardware. I mean they're actually always the most powerful in their respective class aren't they?

Most powerful gpus for pc, most powerful mobile chips.

Man I'm so exited for this console. I wish it was out this year though :(

cheesekao

Fill me in on this guys. Will the game perform the same in "Home Console" mode and "Handheld" mode or do we not know that yet?

kris.

Banned
hahaha i was wondering why GAF was running so slow. didn't expect an announcement today at all. this looks neat af.

LuuKyK

As someone thats completely clueless to what this all means, where does it stand compared to the Wii U or other consoles?

AGITΩ

SuperMetalDave64 and HappyNintendoFan.

Stay strong, you two. 'Cause it's gonna' be a rough week for you.

Stuck to those guns through the late hours of the night.
That's a hard L to carry.

On topic though, I hope nVidia or Nintendo gives us a clear cut comparison of where this custom GPU stands among the rest.

sfried

A Nintendo system with NVidia tech. Never thought I'd see the day.
Same here.

Call me a skeptic who's (glad) to be proven wrong! I guess those initial deals with Nvidia back in the 3DS era really helped solidify Nintendo's position.

I wonder what will AMD think now. Will they have a chance (of securing another design win) for Nintendo in the future?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
What does this mean exactly?

1080p at 30fps at least?

Framerate and resolution are basically always choices of individual developers when making games. It's fairly impossible to answer that question without specific games being mentioned and then without examining what the game does while hitting that resolution/framerate.

But I'm going to guess the resolution companies aim for will be partially dependent on the screen. I bet Nintendo goes with 720/60 again or perhaps 1080/60 as their main target.

Scum

This is great. The best thing about Switch for me. Out with exotic hardware design, in with common SoC architecture. Nice one, NCL.

Thraktor

I think this may be a worthwhile thread to talk about the fact that there's a vent on top of NX... I mean Switch (that'll take some time to get used to). That means active cooling, which means the potential for significantly increased clock speeds.

Nvidia describing the SoC as a "scalable processor" also has me thinking that this might be for docked mode only. Absent any kind of battery life limitations, there's no reason we couldn't see this clocked up to 1.5GHz in docked mode, giving a big enough performance boost for games to push 1080p in docked mode (vs 720p in handheld).

So if anyone knows the power levels are like this:
Wii U = Robin (Tim Drake)
Switch = Nightwing
Xone= Batman

Intriguing. The mobility aspect [even though I don't game on the go outside the house] is ace enough to potentially to make up for sub X1 capabilities. The idea is sound but I'm not doing backflips. I want see the games, price, I want more details. Seems solid enough though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I wonder how it stacks up against Wii U. BotW will be an interesting comparison too, since this is a more modern architecture but might not be as powerful?

Gt750ti equals something similar to Gtx950m mobile chip for laptops and it can preety much run anything at 720p and leaks suggested that games will run at HD-res so yes, probably.

good to know, thanks.

the new Cruisin' arcade game uses GTX 750Ti hardware so I was curious, lol

MrNelson

Banned
But I'm going to guess the resolution companies aim for will be partially dependent on the screen. I bet Nintendo goes with 720/60 again or perhaps 1080/60 as their main target.
I would be fine with that. Nintendo games on Wii U look damn good, even if they're running below 1080p.

The Lamp

So with these inferior specs, how are they going to convince third parties to invest time optimizing a port for this platform with wonky controllers and unproven online infrastructure when their money and time are better off spent developing PS4/XB1/PC versions with larger proven installbases and more flexible hardware?

Again, Nintendo is caught in the awkward position of being unattractive to the development of AAA third party games.

I get they announced a list of supporting third parties. They do that every gen to compensate their insecurities. But last time, it just ended up being mostly inferior ports until support died out.

Unless development costs on the platform are record low and accessible, I find it hard to imagine RDR2 or the next Battlefield coming to Switch.

Top Bottom