• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisGuy

I want to get a racing game but I don't have a wheel. Anyone have a cheap wheel they can recommend? I learned recently the typical wheels recommended run around 150-300 or so. Been a few weeks, numbers might be sketchy. Yet still, those numbers...

Padinn

Next question on Assetto Corso. Could someone tell me the steps I need to do to get it to work in VR? I did enable OpenVR rendering mode. When I launch a race I get a black screen and it doesn't appear to ever load in. Should it be in desktop theater mode in its steam properties page? Anything else I am supposed to do?

derFeef

Finally playing Rec Room made me realize my playzone in my flat is not big enough to be comfortable for roomscale. I always fear I might bang against a wall or furniture. That's a shame since those game with a high interactivity level are the best ones. I would have a bigger space at my GF's house but no PC there - I am now in the process of looking for a gaming laptop or maybe a small PC with good enough graphics capabilities. My poor wallet, but I realized it will be worth it.

edit: I would be happy with recommendations!

atom519

The new sci-fi quest in Rec Room is no joke. I keep dying in that cargo room.

Yeah, the new quest is super fun. I lucked out last night and joined two good groups and we were able to reach the end both times. The last one had me frantically teleporting around Jumbotron reviving the rest of my team while dodging lasers, barely beat him. Oh and I got a new helmet!

Love Rec Room, so polished for a VR game. I would gladly spend $50 if it meant more quest modes.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My dang vive is out for delivery. I hope it arrives before I get home from work! :eek:

MimiMe

Next question on Assetto Corso. Could someone tell me the steps I need to do to get it to work in VR? I did enable OpenVR rendering mode. When I launch a race I get a black screen and it doesn't appear to ever load in. Should it be in desktop theater mode in its steam properties page? Anything else I am supposed to do?

I am using an Oculus and probably of no help. If I remember correctly post process has to be turned off. Did the settings ages ago.

I want to get a racing game but I don't have a wheel. Anyone have a cheap wheel they can recommend? I learned recently the typical wheels recommended run around 150-300 or so. Been a few weeks, numbers might be sketchy. Yet still, those numbers...

Imho Thrustmaster Sets are a great starting point.
Thrustmaster TX, T300, T500, etc

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
OMG according to Amazon my dang is vive is sitting on the porch!!!!!!! I still have 3 hours of work to get through though.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Dreadhalls

A Chair in a Room

Brookhaven Experiment

There's probably some newer ones.

I've actually played 1 and 3. 3 feels less scary, more tense and gamey but enjoyable. I started playing some one yesterday, got to the room with the lady and said "actually how about climbey" lol. Dreadhalls was the arbiter for my interest in trying out more horr games. I was unaware of the second, and its definitely on the wishlist now.

Emily wants to play
Dead secret

Emily Wants to Play feels very FNaF and I know my SO enjoyed watching videos on that so thanks for the heads up.

A horror mystery is a cool idea, on the wishlist for the next sale.

Besides what others have mentioned, The Bellows is free for limited time on Steam.I played the demo briefly and it was pretty creepy.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/529670/

Also I really enjoyed my time with time with Ghost Town Mine Ride & Shooting Gallery.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/459010/

Ghost town mine ride seems like a fun little experience. More "Shock!" than scare but I'm fine to try that, thanks. Also - downloaded The Bellows.

Padinn

I've been noticing some pretty bad flicker in my headset. I tried switching HDMI ports on my 1080 and it made it worse (green dots everywhere). Switched back, cranked up fans on video card, and it seems like it resolved for the most part. I assume its an overheating issue (but temps are in mid 60s) or that my 1080 (its Gigabyte Premium Plus edition) is clocked to high - but I'm not pushing it too hard.

I was able to get Assetto Corsa to run in VR by enable AA in game. Weird bug!

Saw this while browsing through the store: http://store.steampowered.com/app/590530/

It's a game(?) called World Builder. You just, well, build worlds. It actually sounds really appealing. That seems like it'd be really relaxing and fun to do while watching something, the VR equivalent of a podcast game. It definitely needs the ability to share worlds though. Walking around and checking out the worlds your friends have built would be awesome. I don't know how many creation tools are in it atm, but i'll be keeping an eye on it. It makes me wish there was something like Project Spark or Kodu in VR.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Good times so far. Had a helluva time setting it up though. I neglected to secure a drill so I had to hand twist the screws into my walls and it was shitty. My back has been hurting lately too so it was a very real struggle.

Got it all set up, still need to update the firmwares but Ill do that tomorrow. I need to redo all the cabling too. But its very very good. My space is 2.3x3.2m currently but I can get a bit more once I move some stuff around.

Anyway its unreal. I can see all the gripes about the optics but you really do forget about them once you're engaged.

Haha, within the first five minutes during the balloon test thing I jumped and smacked my right controller into the ceiling pretty dang hard. Good thing I took the ceiling fan down.

I played a bit of SPT after I kinda lost interest in the lab. I intend to go back to the lab but the arcade game made me want to just try SPT.

Google Earth and Tiltbrush are up for after dinner. Im really excited for my GF to try Google earth.

Finally gave TheWaveVR a try and oh man is it trippy. Spent about half an hour exploring the social space messing with stuff. Then explored the home room again and found the DJ set. Got lost for about 45 minutes mixing tracks and dancing by myself lol. Can't wait to be there for a live event.

Managed to beat the Jumbotron quest in Rec Room too. Really cool. In some ways it feels like a VR version of a Destiny strike. Actually they should lean a bit in to that and let you pick classes with some abilities to mix up combat.

Saw this while browsing through the store: http://store.steampowered.com/app/590530/

It's a game(?) called World Builder. You just, well, build worlds. It actually sounds really appealing. That seems like it'd be really relaxing and fun to do while watching something, the VR equivalent of a podcast game. It definitely needs the ability to share worlds though. Walking around and checking out the worlds your friends have built would be awesome. I don't know how many creation tools are in it atm, but i'll be keeping an eye on it. It makes me wish there was something like Project Spark or Kodu in VR.

That is pretty cool.

Padinn

Was playing Arizona sunshine last night and hit what I thought was a wall. Turns out it was my tv :( looks like I either scuffed or scratched it ( bought an inch, shaped like a crescent). It wasn't appear pixels were damaged. Any recommendations on self repair kits?

E-flux

Any recommendations for great horror games?

I wanna get fucked up.

Doom 3 and Penumbra games have been modified to work with vive controllers and they work fairly well. Doom 3 kinda suffers because of the fast movement but the Amnesia predecessor Penumbra is scarier than ever when you are the one swinging that rave stick around.

Was playing Arizona sunshine last night and hit what I thought was a wall. Turns out it was my tv :( looks like I either scuffed or scratched it ( bought an inch, shaped like a crescent). It wasn't appear pixels were damaged. Any recommendations on self repair kits?

I don't know about any kits,sorry.

Did you have the chaperone bounds/walls set to off?
If not, then maybe turning on the middle marker for your playspace in the advanced setting helps. I always have that on because I always want to see quickly where the middle of my room is so I can recenter myself and don't accidentally punch through my chaperone walls (I've made them trigger very late because I only have a small play area available and don't always want to see the walls when stretching out my arms etc)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Doom 3 and Penumbra games have been modified to work with vive controllers and they work fairly well. Doom 3 kinda suffers because of the fast movement but the Amnesia predecessor Penumbra is scarier than ever when you are the one swinging that rave stick around.

Penumbra just happens to be 80% off this weekend, so perfect timing my dude! Already owned Doom 3 and the VR mod for that is definitely on my list. Thanks bud.

Padinn

I don't know about any kits,sorry.

Did you have the chaperone bounds/walls set to off?
If not, then maybe turning on the middle marker for your playspace in the advanced setting helps. I always have that on because I always want to see quickly where the middle of my room is so I can recenter myself and don't accidentally punch through my chaperone walls (I've made them trigger very late because I only have a small play area available and don't always want to see the walls when stretching out my arms etc)

No, just sometimes lose track of them in my smaller play area. I used some rubbing alcohol on it with a microfiber cloth and I didnt notice it watching TV today. I suspect it was more of a scuff. Ity's still visible when TV is off, but not in use as much, so I'm good!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I Have a 1080 and a 3770k and am wondering about the Supersampling in SPT..
I feel like I should be able to turn it on but I'm still so new to this and am worried I won't be able to tell when the interpolation kicks in if it tanks the framerate. Usually with a traditional game you just push it until it looks smooth enough but with VR I'm worried I won't really be able to tell when somethin fishy is goin on. Or is it glaringly obvious when the interpolation kicks in?

You should disable desktop theater. And post-processing in-game as someone suggested.
The VR mod for Half-life 2 seems to be making progress.

I didn't know they're still working on it. Now I'm hyped.

I miss the days of HLVR on DK1 and then DK2+hydra.

On the Vive with proper locomotion, roomscale and the controllers it's going to be insane.

I feel like I should be able to turn it on but I'm still so new to this and am worried I won't be able to tell when the interpolation kicks in if it tanks the framerate. Usually with a traditional game you just push it until it looks smooth enough but with VR I'm worried I won't really be able to tell when somethin fishy is goin on. Or is it glaringly obvious when the interpolation kicks in?

I'm not sure myself, the idea (I think) is that you wont notice when it runs ... and idealy also when it kicks in but I've read different posts about it. It could be that I am missunderstandng you and you don't really mean the moment it kicks in but the entire time it is on?

I used to get small hitching, screen jumping now and then, nothing major but it was noticable and I had the thought that it was maybe the reprojection turning on/off. When I turned on "always reprojection on" the hitching disappeared, maybe it was unrelated and an update took care of it, I'm not really sure about these things.

Has anyone tried out Racket NX yet?

The Steam Page Video makes it look like a game that is unplayable with the cord still attached to the HMD, I guess the vid was done a little bit over the top... if you really have to jump to get the ball that's not possible in my room lol

How does it compare to Holoball? I'm not the biggest fan of holoball to be honest but I like the idea of a squash/tennis like game in VR, just haven't found one that I really like.

edit: Just saw there is a demo of it, guess I'll check it out then.

Edit: 2

Tried it, is an instabuy, much better than holoball, I always felt that holoball sometimes doesn't register my racket and the ball goes right through it, could have been my fault of course but it just didn't feel right to me. That doesn't happen with Racket NX. Looks slick, sounds great, the cable is a problem though, it's playable with it but this game requires you to move freely 360 degree to get the ball. It works but I want to spin around carelessly.
I have not bought it yet because I have lot's of other stuff to finnish first and I'm kinda afraid of damaging my shoulder with this game lol... there is a reason I never played Tennis/Squash in real life.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure myself, the idea (I think) is that you wont notice when it runs ... and idealy also when it kicks in but I've read different posts about it. It could be that I am missunderstandng you and you don't really mean the moment it kicks in but the entire time it is on?

I used to get small hitching, screen jumping now and then, nothing major but it was noticable and I had the thought that it was maybe the reprojection turning on/off. When I turned on "always reprojection on" the hitching disappeared, maybe it was unrelated and an update took care of it, I'm not really sure about these things.

Hmm, well it looks like its been set to notify you if you drop frames and I have yet to see such a notification so I guess I can try pushing it a little more.

Dang, SPT is such a good game for the first thing in the morning! Just roll out of bed and start dancing around. Its awesome.

I played Budget Cuts last night and it was the most mindblowing thing ever.

Look at you gun when moving it. Interpolation will be pretty obvious due to blurriness instead of the perfect 1:1 you usually see.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Look at you gun when moving it. Interpolation will be pretty obvious due to blurriness instead of the perfect 1:1 you usually see.
Cool. I'm gonna try this when I get home. I also discovered that SteamVR can record frametimes etc in the settings menu. Didn't know that before. I think tuning things should be pretty straight forward.

Moondrop

Banned
I purchased the package deal with the 1070!

Is there anything special a VR-dedicated PC build should have besides the graphics card (and an SSD)? Any particular motherboard or RAM or anything like that? Can I go with Windows 7 OEM or is it finally time to learn Linux?

SomTervo

I purchased the package deal with the 1070!

Is there anything special a VR-dedicated PC build should have besides the graphics card (and an SSD)? Any particular motherboard or RAM or anything like that? Can I go with Windows 7 OEM or is it finally time to learn Linux?

Windows 7 fine (10 also fine).

The more RAM the better. VR is a guzzler. I'm on 16GB but genuinely tempted to get another 16.

I'm rocking a high-end i5 Intel processor and that seems to do just fine, but if you can budget higher (e.g. to an i7), do it.

derFeef

I really wonder how many and how well (supersampling?) Vive games a 1060 laptop could lift. I am hitting the wall (literally) with my room space available and a relocation could help a lot - but my desktop PC stays where it is.

Moondrop

Banned
Windows 7 fine (10 also fine).

The more RAM the better. VR is a guzzler. I'm on 16GB but genuinely tempted to get another 16.

I'm rocking a high-end i5 Intel processor and that seems to do just fine, but if you can budget higher (e.g. to an i7), do it.
Thanks. Yeah, planning an i7 to be a bit futureproof. A couple of follow-ups:

Would you get a motherboard with a slot for a second graphics card (under the plan that soon we'll be able to use one card for each eye)?

Can you get away with an SSD only if it's just a VR machine?

Durante

Would you get a motherboard with a slot for a second graphics card (under the plan that soon we'll be able to use one card for each eye)?
No, upgrading your single GPU (and selling the old) will probably always be a more effective option going forward.

Can you get away with an SSD only if it's just a VR machine?
At least for now, VR games aren't huge, so I'd say yes. (For now)

Moondrop

Banned
No, upgrading your single GPU (and selling the old) will probably always be a more effective option going forward.

At least for now, VR games aren't huge, so I'd say yes. (For now)
Thanks, really appreciate everyone handling my basic questions. Can't wait to join y'all in the future.

I got to experience old school VR at a Dave & Buster's in the 90's. All I remember was a group of us running around platforms hanging in empty black space, and a dragon would swoop down and attack us. And it was mind-blowing, even back then. That's how I know I can order this sight unseen.

Temperatures outside are down a little and my room is a bit cold, so I'm standing in the middle of my room with my VR headset on, exploring a cave in the Solus Project and getting hypothermia warnings in the game. I stopped for second and thought about how cool this felt (pun intended), I'm in a cold environment in the game and I actually feel a little frosty in my on room. This game is great!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dude I don't think I was ready for Raw Data. I got seriously flustered on the first level when the invisible midboss robot shows up. It was fucked, I had a very brief moment of sheer panic. I instinctively went to tear the headset off but since I was using the advance grip mode I dropped my gun and then banged my controller into my face. I beat that robot but ended up quitting before Wave3 started.

My girlfriend got really weirded out in Budget Cuts, too. Its really impressive how scary it is to have something coming right at you.

I still don't quite have my bearings right with teleportation/slide locomotion. It feels clumsy still, like the first time I played an FPS with two joysticks. In Raw Data last night I got to the point where I was aiming the teleporter behind me and zooming backwards as I was shooting in front of me and it felt really cool but I still get all turned around and stuff since I'm sorta walking around my room and teleporting at the same time.

The other night in the SPT menu I was laying on the floor lobbing grenades up in the air and watching them fall down right next to my head. It was crazy. At point one of them rolled away and I tried to go after it and sorta dove from standing on my knees to a few feet in front of me and came basically in contact with the wall. I didn't smash the vive full force straight into the wall but it did make some contact. The headset had lost tracking maybe 5 inches before The wall so I stopped myself in time. But it was sorta like how a hockey goalie would dive after a puck.

Ideally I would put 1/2inch foamcore over the areas I'm most likely to make contact with.

Anyway, today is my first day off with the Vive and I have no plans to leave the house except for some beer later.

The most amazing sensation in Raw Data is the elevator. Specifically when you're looking at your hands in relation to the room moving. It really feels like you're moving! It feels exactly like being in an elevator. Its insane. It actually feels like you're moving. I can't exaggerate enough how it feels like you are actually in an elevator. You can feel it in physically in your stomach and inner ear.

Dude I don't think I was ready for Raw Data. I got seriously flustered on the first level when the invisible midboss robot shows up. It was fucked, I had a very brief moment of sheer panic. I instinctively went to tear the headset off but since I was using the advance grip mode I dropped my gun and then banged my controller into my face....

I believe over time you will not have this reaction of being confronted by something in VR or having an obstacle close in front of your face etc, it definitely weakens. I remember twitching back from the fish in the TheBlue environment and now I let geometry pass through me very casually without reacting to it that intensly any more.
You also get a very good feeling with the space your controller take up over time, that said, I was playing Climbey yesterday and had the bright idea to nullify momentum when jumping on a plattform by grabing the plattform below my feet so that I wont go over the edge and fall off, was the first time I smashed my controller into my floor lol. Luckily not damaged.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I just had a pretty long session and after seeing the crawling robots in the dark bit a few times the scare factor lessened. Its still highly immersive and uncomfortable though.

Durante

I think some parts of Raw Data are always going to be a bit scary alone (I mostly play it in coop).

About teleportation though, I'd say it's like any other gaming skill. You'll get really good at it with practice, and be able to zoom around levels even while fighting. It feels pretty great.

Picked up Rick and Morty a few days ago and got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Seems like a good game to show off to friends if they like the show.

I realized this is my first VR pickup in a few months so I figured I'd ask, what's been everyone's top VR game that's come out this year so far?

My girlfriend got really weirded out in Budget Cuts, too. Its really impressive how scary it is to have something coming right at you.

Budget Cuts was one of the first games I tried on my Vive and it's the first one that really gave me that feeling of presence. I was standing up on a second floor near railing and I wasn't sure where to go next. I wanted to scope out the room below me so I tried to lean on the railing so I could get a good view of the room. That railing didn't actually exist and I almost fell on my face. I completely forgot that it wasn't real, it didn't cross my mind that I couldn't lean my weight on it.

Picked up Rick and Morty a few days ago and got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Seems like a good game to show off to friends if they like the show.

I realized this is my first VR pickup in a few months so I figured I'd ask, what's been everyone's top VR game that's come out this year so far?

Doesn't count as a game, but OVRdrop is getting used almost everyone time I use my Vive. A lot of VR games are perfect to watch stuff with, especially slower games like Vivecraft, Tilt Brush, Elite Dangerous or VRChat.

There's something incredible about building a house in Vivecraft, placing the OVRdrop screen onto a wall, pulling up a chair and sitting in the home you created to watch some Netflix.

I think some parts of Raw Data are always going to be a bit scary alone (I mostly play it in coop).

About teleportation though, I'd say it's like any other gaming skill. You'll get really good at it with practice, and be able to zoom around levels even while fighting. It feels pretty great.

The second level in Raw Data where the robots without legs jump at you.... After owning the game for months I still haven't beaten that level, I have to nope out every time, those leaping robots are too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom