• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Phoenix Ain't Looking Too Good

Reading the comments section on that update, some people are asking for a refund and the director is refusing. Others are just directing their hate at him for the project saying that he's a failure. Not surprising. lol. Shit's flying.

Sounds like the project is run by people who have no appreciation for programming and think (thought?) they can just bring in any guy to implement their brilliant ideas. Having ideas is the hard part, right? Specfinically calling out "lore" but not programming in the original budget is hilarious.

Come on man; the lore isn't going to write itself. That $5k is a totally necessary expenditure!

Lol for a project eager to attach Japanese names and bring up JRPGs, at least after watching the video, there appears to be nothing "J" about this project.

Hektor

Oh god I just checked my PayPal for Aug/Sep 2013 it shows this:

20 USD
株式会社CIA

Is that it? :X Plz say no.

Ok, then i'll say no.

Z5pFHZJ.png

ZeroX03

Banned
jRPGs and kickstarter don't mix.

Freaking Soul Saga is nowhere near done either. He has been releasing this demo he updates ala FFXV.

Soul Saga was clearly a disaster from the get go. I think that game is doing better than should have been expected. I mean it still looks bad, but I'm surprised he even has anything to show for it. He's determined to put something out. Ryan Camus' music sounds decent too. Aivi Tran's sounds awful.

OMORI is another big one that question marks around it. Currently in "semi active" development, whatever that means. They went dark for months. Granted that had a lot to do with RPG Maker MV not being public, but they literally just went dead and didn't answer anything.

Like with most of these Kickstarters that implode, it's pretty easy to see coming. Check up on the team, make sure their plans are feasible and if they can't answer the hard questions then that means they probably don't have satisfactory answers.

ultrazilla

Wow this is brutal. There's no game here. Where did the million dollars in funding go? They haven't even started programming!

When I see the advertised art vs the development art I can't help but feel like the backers have been cheated. I am glad I didn't back this project but I was really close due to the art style and the 'veteran developers'
CPxuG7TWsAApUpe.png:large

Shenmue 3 will come out better just because it's being headed by Yu Suzuki, who is next to the likes of Miyamoto as a legend in the field. This game has a newcomer going straight into Directing and Producing his own game.

Here's to hoping the other recent Japanese Kickstarters end up better.

Particularly since I dropped cash on them.

This one wasn't even really a Japanese development or a JRPG at all. The only three members of the team who were Japanese was the Art Director, who has left the project, the general story writer who has finished her work and Uematsu who seems to have just composed some music and dumped it on them to mix and arrange themselves. The battle system and general design is far more inspired by WRPGs and PC RPGs than it is any JRPG. lol.

dormata

Neo Member
Apparently all the funding is already spent, not on the team but on Hiroaki himself. Just ask him about his nice new house in Tokyo. (Which he will deny and say that he rents, everyone on the team knows that).

This rumour was once floated before by ShouTime

"ShouTime on June 17
Also, would be great to hear about that new house you bought with these KS funds."

"ShouTime on June 17
I have it on good authority that you tried to cash out the remaining money from this Kickstarter and leave the project hanging but a certain someone stopped you.
What are your true intentions for this project?"

After their apparent meeting, no records were set straight afterwards. Furthermore, I liked how they blamed everything on the programmer David Clark. Dave Clark has left the project approximately 2 years ago to work on Ori, however with the lack of progress they've decided they needed a scapegoat so they've dragged his name in the dirt and blame lack of progress on him.

Ontop of this mess of a project, Hiro's been involved in another project https://www.facebook.com/projectdreamwalker?fref=ts
Lets not forget Under the Dog until they booted him.

I've met and talked with him on a few occasions, really nice guy but definitely really dodge and misleading. I have serious doubts this game will ever get made, it's just a shame there's so many loyal backers that leap to Hiro's defense.

Apparently all the funding is already spent, not on the team but on Hiroaki himself. Just ask him about his nice new house in Tokyo. (Which he will deny and say that he rents, everyone on the team knows that).

This rumour was once floated before by ShouTime

"ShouTime on June 17
Also, would be great to hear about that new house you bought with these KS funds."

"ShouTime on June 17
I have it on good authority that you tried to cash out the remaining money from this Kickstarter and leave the project hanging but a certain someone stopped you.
What are your true intentions for this project?"

After their apparent meeting, no records were set straight afterwards. Furthermore, I liked how they blamed everything on the programmer David Clark. Dave Clark has left the project approximately 2 years ago to work on Ori, however with the lack of progress they've decided they needed a scapegoat so they've dragged his name in the dirt and blame lack of progress on him.

Ontop of this mess of a project, Hiro's been involved in another project https://www.facebook.com/projectdreamwalker?fref=ts
Lets not forget Under the Dog until they booted him.

I've met and talked with him on a few occasions, really nice guy but definitely really dodge and misleading. I have serious doubts this game will ever get made, it's just a shame there's so many loyal backers that leap to Hiro's defense.

Meh, as bad as this project has been managed overall, this sounds like a baseless rumor to me. We don't need that.

Wow this is brutal. There's no game here. Where did the million dollars in funding go? They haven't even started programming!

If you red anything the pumped on the blog..
they think that the WHOLE game should be done by assigning around 3% budget to programming..
like.. say what? :)

Yaqoub

My biggest Kickstarter regret.

It's interesting to watch the upcoming events unfold at the very least, shit's going down the drain it seems.

Project Phoenix is truly the gift that keeps on giving, it's still one of the bigger bullets I've dodged on Kickstarter.

The tragedy in this (at least for myself) is that since I've had a handful of crowdfunding projects go south or fall from expectations, it makes any future project I find interesting suffer because I just hesitate so much to back it.

I had this internal debate with myself for days before I pulled the trigger on backing the Indivisible IndieGoGo that's going on right now, and at least they have something to show that they've done good work in the past, but even then that doesn't mean projects will end up in a good way; I've had projects from longtime devs disappoint me, as well as those who've made older games that some hold dear to their heart so people like me place faith in them irresponsibly.

Crowdfunding is just gambling in my eyes, gambling with money and good will. It's a bit depressing.

AdaWong

I had this internal debate with myself for days before I pulled the trigger on backing the Indivisible IndieGoGo that's going on right now, and at least they have something to show that they've done good work in the past, but even then that doesn't mean projects will end up in a good way; I've had projects from longtime devs disappoint me, as well as those who've made older games that some hold dear to their heart so people like me place faith in them irresponsibly.

Lab Zero would never, ever be as irresponsible as these studios. You can absolutely trust them with your money; they're realistic, honest, and 100% professional. Just look at their campaigns (and history, too!)

Lab Zero would never, ever be as irresponsible as these studios. You can absolutely trust them with your money; they're realistic, honest, and 100% professional. Just look at their campaigns (and history, too!)

That's what I repeatedly tried to tell myself when I hit the pledge button. And from the Indivisible thread, the devs are very nice and actively talk to the community, so that helped too.

That's what I repeatedly tried to tell myself when I hit the pledge button. And from the Indivisible thread, the devs are very nice and actively talk to the community, so that helped too.
Wasn't this project literally built on one dude? Made me weary. Stuff like Indivisible has a working prototype atleast. I always back with demos or working prototypes in mind. I think Gone Home had a working multiplayer? Something like that BEFORE the campaign really makes me feel confident plus with the feedback, professional attitudes and histories made me back Indivisible. :)

Holy shit, this project is a disaster.

Hindsight is 20/20 but looking back you can't help but notice the obvious red flags. As a rule of thumb, I don't trust a crowdfunding project that has more artists/designers than programmers. And really? This project had the lead programmer position "unannounced"??

To be fair, this project launched in 2013 back when big Kickstarter failures hadn't really dropped the other shoe yet, so it wasn't as easy for backers to vet projects and be aware of those red flags as it is today.

As for their progress to date percentages, that's pathetic. All of that "work" is where a project needs to be before it even tries to ask for money on Kickstarter.

desu

The tragedy in this (at least for myself) is that since I've had a handful of crowdfunding projects go south or fall from expectations, it makes any future project I find interesting suffer because I just hesitate so much to back it.

Basically this, I have stopped backing anything and this project has been a big factor in it. 50$ down the drain ...

When I see the advertised art vs the development art I can't help but feel like the backers have been cheated. I am glad I didn't back this project but I was really close due to the art style and the 'veteran developers'

Holy shit, that's disgusting. Probably even further from the implied art style than Mighty No. 9. It looks like a cheap mobile game.

As an backer of this, this email was sent to us ~10 hours ago:

813fc81f18.png

Nothing positive here for me to take.

So they haven't even started programming in two years since the project was funded?! Is whoever they hire going to work for free on a commission/royalty basis?!

Crowdfunding is just gambling in my eyes, gambling with money and good will. It's a bit depressing.

I mean, it is gambling in the sense that there is never any guarantee that the games will be delivered (not helped by most devs lowballing their budget), but you cannot compare Indivisible to this heap of steaming horse shit. Lab Zero have been completely open about their funding situation and spent months building a very high-quality prototype demo on both PC and PS4. Ravidrath is a really active member of the forum and they have obviously put a lot of thought into their budget and are being 100% realistic about the realities and expectations of their project. I've got nothing but respect for the way they've handled it, and I think had they gone the Kickstarter route they probably would have reached their funding goal easily. But we still have a few days left and the rate of backers has really accelerated, so I'm thinking of increasing my $30 pledge to help them get over that line.

element

You know things are bad when a studios calls themselves AAA talent, but are posting to the UnrealEngine forums looking for programmers...

Hedge

I was so hoping this would work out, but it seems not. A pity. I loved the sales pitch.
Maybe they should just admit defeat? Nothing the backers can do at this point, I assume.

I mean, it is gambling in the sense that there is never any guarantee that the games will be delivered (not helped by most devs lowballing their budget), but you cannot compare Indivisible to this heap of steaming horse shit. Lab Zero have been completely open about their funding situation and spent months building a very high-quality prototype demo on both PC and PS4. Ravidrath is a really active member of the forum and they have obviously put a lot of thought into their budget and are being 100% realistic about the realities and expectations of their project. I've got nothing but respect for the way they've handled it, and I think had they gone the Kickstarter route they probably would have reached their funding goal easily. But we still have a few days left and the rate of backers has really accelerated, so I'm thinking of increasing my $30 pledge to help them get over that line.

I apologize if anyone is taking my post as a knock to Lab Zero (because I respect them), my main point was that even in the case of a big, proven teams/people/developers, there's still a chance that everything can still go south.

Just one example, look at how everything revolving Mighty No. 9 (and it's several Red Ash attempts) went down, but everyone threw their faith into MN9 because the creator of Mega Man was behind it. Look how much Inafune has done in the past, and still he managed to create a particularly unfavorable situation with his crowdfunding projects. There are enough threads on GAF about it that I'll spare details here, but between that Project Phoenix email earlier today/yesterday and talk of crowdfunding projects in general, I just needed to vent a bit.

Hektor

I was so hoping this would work out, but it seems not. A pity. I loved the sales pitch.
Maybe they should just admit defeat? Nothing the backers can do at this point, I assume.

Yup, just put it down. That'd end at least our suffering.

Castef

Banned
At least Mighty No. 9 will probably release. It'll disappoint, but I get the impression this project would also disappoint considering how much people were banking on this.

I don't know what people says about Might No. 9, yet it was well alive, kicking, promoted and fun at the latest Lucca Games fair in Italy.

img-20151030-113931_1h68.jpg

I actually enjoyed it.

Castef

Banned
Lesson 1 of crowdfunding: Don't make your first game too ambitious especially if your budget is less than a million dollars.

Actually, no. The first lesson should always be: if you are planning to create a videogame be sure you have at least a pair of coders.

You know things are bad when a studios calls themselves AAA talent, but are posting to the UnrealEngine forums looking for programmers...

Actually, no. The first lesson should always be: if you are planning to create a videogame be sure you have at least a pair of coders.

I think kickstarter backers could learn a lot from the "Minimum Viable Product" episode of Silicon Valley. Zero % script and programming after two years is a disaster. It's the Vs 13 debacle on a smaller scale.

Sounds like they thought they could just cobble the story together in a few months after they got their Diablo clone up and running. Pouring all that money and time into assets when you don't even have a level designer? If the game is even Too Human - tier I'd be amazed.

duckroll

I decided to go back 2 years and read the launch thread for this Kickstarter: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647459

Good times. Lol.

For those unaware, after getting over a million for Project Phoenix, Yura and CIA went on to launch a second Kickstarter for an anime project. I'm a big fan of the director they managed to get, so I contributed to that one. Before anything came out of it, Yura and CIA were kicked off the project and all the funds were handed directly over to the anime studio in charge because of major disagreements over how things were handled. Sounds like they really dodged a bullet there seeing how Project Phoenix is coming together (or not coming together).

ugh

they did not do a good job translating the art to 3D

maybe they should have went 2d?

I'm guessing they want programmers with experience but not willing to put the money they're worth, and don't want someone willing to learn because they want results fast.. well, good luck at not making this game then.

I'm guessing they want programmers with experience but not willing to put the money they're worth, and don't want someone willing to learn because they want results fast.. well, good luck at not making this game then.

Core game creators should have been the first priority on the list

I think too many creators are building from dreams, ideas, drawings.... and not looking at how to BUILD an actual game

Top Bottom