• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAINWAY announced: Third party eShop app for streaming PC games to your Switch

Vash63

I doubt the latency will be good enough for action games (maybe locally or for 30fps games), but this could still be an awesome feature. I'm surprised Nintendo is allowing it.

Permanently A

KWl6pqT.jpg

There's no way Nintendo lets this through, I think you all know that, deep down.
No idea at the moment honestly, considering theres a lack of info.

How is he making the app? Does he have a Switch devkit?

He has a track record of developing software for the PC though, which is good, so Im surprised if he is making this claim without Nintendo's say.

Brofield

If this makes it to the eShop, I need to ensure that I download this immediately.

For the love of God, please no one use it for any fucked up illegal piracy to ruin it for the rest of us in the beta

Zomba13

I don't really use streaming like this. Only used it the one time with PS4->Vita so me and my cousin could basically LAN play some Destiny with him using my TV (and his PS4) and me on my Vita (and my PS4) and it was alright for the most part.

How hard is it/are we there yet to get it like the Wii U? Like how it feels the same going from Wii U to TV via HDMI and Wii U to Gamepad via Bluetooth/Wifi/air magic? With the same (seemingly lack of) latency and video artifacts. Obvious going to a Switch in handheld mode you'd only be streaming 720p and it'd be over a local network so could it be on that level? Again, I've not really used streaming from a pc to devices and don't even know how the Wii U works its magic.

PCGAF: "Give me 120fps or give me death"
Industry: "How about a way to play your games with inherent latency?"
PCGAF: "Excite!"

Puzzling.

That said, the point is moot as this will never see the light of day on Switch outside of homebrew firmware.

Never heard of a steam link?

Only thing puzzling is this posts huge generalization.

Hikami

This would make me get a Switch sooner if it goes through and works well.

I tried to do this on my Vita with homebrew apps but they're all pretty incomplete and have huge latency.

Speely

Banned
There's no way Nintendo lets this through, I think you all know that, deep down.

That's def my gut reaction, but I want to believe. I am assuming that it will never come to be, but boy would it be a game-changer.

That said, my most-wanted game in portable mode is Hyper Light Drifter, and the thought of playing it with input latency is horrid.

I am conflicted in many ways.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I have been on the streaming-to-handheld train longer than most (I played WC3 on my ipaq 3950 back in 2003...) and I have to say that even today, local rendering play is a better experience than streaming, even in optimal conditions, so I don't see Nintendo's software suffering much from this. IS good to have options, though.

Also, streaming over cellular networks is only for rich folks on a reduced number of cities... and public access wifi is too crappy for it.

Somnid

I don't think Nintendo is necessarily the biggest issue here. Provided they follow the developer agreements I don't see any strong reason why Nintendo would disallow it.

However,

We've seen this type of thing dozens of times. Some nobody hypes up something they claim to be working on, and it's either a lot of vapor or doesn't go as planned. The only thing missing is the developer starting a kickstarter, getting a NeoGaf account, and then getting banned when it doesn't materialize.

Cerium

I don't think Nintendo is necessarily the biggest issue here. Provided they follow the developer agreements I don't see any strong reason why Nintendo would disallow it.

However,

We've seen this type of thing dozens of times. Some nobody hypes up something they claim to be working on, and it's either a lot of vapor or doesn't go as planned. The only thing missing is the developer starting a kickstarter, getting a NeoGaf account, and then getting banned when it doesn't materialize.
He's pretty well known in the PC space, not some random charlatan.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
GPDWin cried a little.

Holy Moly... this is fantastic!

The OG Shield is better than the GPDWin for streaming anyway. And the main advantage of the GPD Win will still be there: local rendering access to your whole PC library (quality of the experience will vary, though).

qko

"I want to buy an indie game on Switch, I'll just buy it on steam instead of the official release"

I think that's why Nintendo actually wants indies to add something to their ports. Even timed exclusivity in some cases.

Also, it might work well, but it just might never achieve a native experience.

iavi

tbh I can see Nintendo axing support, but I do see MS letting it through the XB shop as a UWP. There's already streaming apps on the store now--garbage, but there.

I'd be excited as hell just to be able to stream my PC games to my tv without having to switch over to the steam link.

akira28

hrm now you can moonlight to your Switch? I was thinking about this a few weeks ago, but can't remember the application I had in mind for it.

molnizzle

Wired LAN >>> WiFi.

Steam streaming is pretty great on a device with decent WiFi. I played many dozens of hours of Witcher 3 streamed to my MacBook Air in bed each night. Shit was infinitely better and faster than streaming PS4 to Vita.

Now that I think about it, PS4 to MacBook Air streaming is also pretty good. Vita's wifi chip was just bullshit.

I'm still trying to understand what this does exactly for the Switch. Can anyone explain like I'm five?

This is like PS4-to-Vita remote play but for PC games to Switch.

Moonlight on iOS has been around for a while and has support for MFi controllers (including the Gamevice). Not to mention that the Nvidia Shield original portable came out even earlier than that.

OH FUCK YES

I was expecting to have to wait for hacks for this

The expectation that this feature would eventually be implemented is like half the reason I bought the Switch

selo

Whaaaat?! If true this is gonna be awesome! A game changer of course. Hopefully Nintendo is on board with this, and it'll actuallly sell more Switches (once they're in stock). Looking forward to playing tons of my steam games on handheld :D

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Steam streaming is pretty great on a device with decent WiFi. I played many dozens of hours of Witcher 3 streamed to my MacBook Air in bed each night. Shit was infinitely better and faster than streaming PS4 to Vita.

Now that I think about it, PS4 to MacBook Air streaming is also pretty good. Vita's wifi chip was just bullshit.

This is like PS4-to-Vita remote play but for PC games to Switch.

Mileage will vary. At my house, 2.6Ghz is a no go for streaming, but I do have a 5Ghz AC that I bought for streaming. I played and finished several games streamed to my OG Shield. That thing had a good wifi chip, but random lag spikes were still there. I also have a Steam link, but I found that 1080p@60fps with good quality was too much for my Wifi setup, so it is now wired to my router. Yes, I have several meter long LAN cables through my house, totally worth it!

Theosmeo

I would go nuts if true, there's so many PC visual novels i have trouble getting into due to being spoiled by lying in bed

Ziocyte

This seems insane to me. There isn't a ton of stuff on the eShop. Nintendo is still able to vet every piece of software that gets submitted. If they were going to allow something like this, why not just go all the way and team up with Nvidia or something?

Paz

My Switch's wifi is kind of atrocious compared to every other device I run, didn't think it'd be a big deal but damn it'll suck if this comes out and I can't use it well with my network setup.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Trails the 3rd on Switch feelsgoodman

This is what I thought immediately haha. I played 1st and 2nd on my iPad mostly through Moonlight actually. I got Moonlight running on my Vita once but this would clearly be better. Seeing Nintendo allow it in the eShop is an exciting idea for sure

Top Bottom