• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•15-17•17 - Assassin and mother! clowned, lack "IT" factor

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I am torn between seeing It or mother! today.

Leaning towards the latter though since I love me some cinematic fuckery.

justjohn

Saw the trailer for American Assassin. Quite possibly the most generic movie trailer I've ever seen in my life. Can't believe they actually still make movies like this.

kswiston

I am torn between seeing It or mother! today.

Leaning towards the latter though since I love me some cinematic fuckery.

IT will still be in theatres in October. Mother! will not.

Once those 2 week contracts are up, theatres are going to dump mother! with haste.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'll make sure to always link to Mother's BO performance whenever someone comes into a Thor thread or whatever the fuck to complain about why Hollywood doesn't make new movies anymore.

kswiston

I'll make sure to always link to Mother's BO performance whenever someone comes into a Thor thread or whatever the fuck to complain about why Hollywood doesn't make new movies anymore.

People have a longstanding tradition of complaining about a lack of originality in Hollywood, while simultaneously ignoring anything with originality.

The real thing they want is wholly original blockbuster films, which is a pretty silly thing to expect.

If you want risks and originality, you're going to find most of it in the $5-50M budget range.

Holy shit @ It. I am ashamed to admit this was my expectation for the first week.

I wonder how how high can go WW. If it can get to $350 million in Domestic market, I can see it getting to $600 million worldwide.

$350 million DOM
$250 million INT
$600 million WW

This is bigger than most Marvel Phase One movies that were not Iron Man.

kswiston

Holy shit @ It. I am ashamed to admit this was my expectation for the first week.

I wonder how how high can go WW. If it can get to $350 million in Domestic market, I can see it getting to $600 million worldwide.

$350 million DOM
$250 million INT
$600 million WW

This is bigger than most Marvel Phase One movies that were not Iron Man.

IT can hit $300M overseas. It is at $150M after a $60M weekend, and there are still a handful of major openings left later this month.

People have a longstanding tradition of complaining about a lack of originality in Hollywood, while simultaneously ignoring anything with originality.

The real thing they want is wholly original blockbuster films, which is a pretty silly thing to expect.

If you want risks and originality, you're going to find most of it in the $5-50M budget range.

Not everyone can be Mr. Nolan and deliver critically and commercially successful original blockbuster films.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Were people expecting more out of mother! ? Wasn’t this supposed to be an Oscar-tier movie? Also there was zero-marketing I felt like. I only knew of this movie because I look up what films JLaw is going to be in.

Alienfan

Wasn't expecting IT to be bigger than Conjuring, WB basically control the big budget horror market. I don't see any horror movie hurting it except maybe Jigsaw, but that's so far away

Cipherr

Any chance Spidey hits $900m? Or Spidey 3 at $890m?

Probably not About to hit DVD soon at this weekend's Intl is 15. So assuming a slow runoff it will end right at about $880. ~10m shy of the best performing Spiderman film of all time. Would have been nice to have that #1, but the poor films involving Spidey in the past have to have some effect.

Still, it did amazing.

Slayven

LOL, like I say if you can't find something new, you ain't looking

I am just really glad to see Apes return for a 60 million weekend (international). Don't care about It or Mother.

edit: It's the China release btw, so that would make China vs everyone else 60 out of 433. IF it's getting to 500m that would mean China accounted for over 20% of the movie's total gross.

Cvie

Probably not About to hit DVD soon at this weekend's Intl is 15. So assuming a slow runoff it will end right at about $880. ~10m shy of the best performing Spiderman film of all time. Would have been nice to have that #1, but the poor films involving Spidey in the past have to have some effect.

Still, it did amazing.

it'll be 877ish after this weekend will definatley pass 880 next weekend. probably end somewhere 885-890

IT can hit $300M overseas. It is at $150M after a $60M weekend, and there are still a handful of major openings left later this month.
$300 million without China would be AMAZING. Not sure if Japan is huge on Horror so i was being conservative with IT. $250 million is still pretty good result without China.

Were people expecting more out of mother! ? Wasn’t this supposed to be an Oscar-tier movie? Also there was zero-marketing I felt like. I only knew of this movie because I look up what films JLaw is going to be in.
mother! for Oscars? I highly doubt it. Even the reviews are mixed bag for it and it is nowhere near the peak of Afronsky's best.

N21

Congrats to the filmmakers of IT, may the blessing of a thousand kings be bestow on to you.

Jumeira

Banned
Really happy that ITs performing well. Amazingly put together film, especially for us who love the 80s/Goonies/Stand by me.

Speaking of the Oscars, what do you guys think will get nominated for Best Picture? I know we got a couple of months left for the more award-friendly movies but, still, I'm curious to see what you think.

I think The Disaster Artist has a good shot.

Timu

New movies these days need marketing to do well, which would encourage Hollywood to try new stuff most likely.

kswiston

$300 million without China would be AMAZING. Not sure if Japan is huge on Horror so i was being conservative with IT. $250 million is still pretty good result without China.

mother! for Oscars? I highly doubt it. Even the reviews are mixed bag for it and it is nowhere near the peak of Afronsky's best.

France, Germany, Italy, and some smaller EU territories also haven't had their launches yet, in addition to Japan.

Off of a $60M weekend, the holdover markets should be able to hit that $250M pretty easily. I think that the remaining territories can do $50M or less to push IT over $300M.

Congrats to the filmmakers of IT, may the blessing of a thousand kings be bestow on to you.

I think they should really thank Tim Curry earlier performance and Fukunaga's involvement with the new one. The movie itself doesn't work *that* hard to gain the title, but the status of the miniseries (the many, many, gifs in particular) is more likely driving its success.

You could say the same of Stand By Me and Stranger Things too. People just really want to see the stuff they remember really liking before, regardless of whether the newer version are actually better or worse. The new IT is definitely better in some areas though, but things like Jurassic World and other remakes are so much worse. I'll refrain from dragging TFA into this, but that movie's success is driven by the logic as well, not the qualities of the movie itself.

Wonder when we'll get Tommyknockers and Langoliers. I think we gotta wallow through a remake of The Stand first before we can get to those.

kswiston

Speaking of the Oscars, what do you guys think will get nominated for Best Picture? I know we got a couple of months left for the more award-friendly movies but, still, I'm curious to see what you think.

I think that Call Me By Your Name, Lady Bird, and the Shape of Water have the most buzz out of film festival stuff from the past few weeks.

Out of the stuff that has already been in general release, Dunkirk is probably a shoe-in for a nomination. I could see Get Out nominated as well, but it won't have a shot at winning.

Prompto

Banned

Call Me By Your Name seems like a sure nomination. Maybe Wind River and Get Out as well. Disaster Artist seems like it'll have an uphill battle to get a nomination since it's a comedy but maybe if Franco is good enough he'll get a Best Actor nom.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Wow! Mother flopped big time. I was expecting $15M OW.

Paramount can't catch a break eh

Call Me By Your Name seems like a sure nomination. Maybe Wind River and Get Out as well. Disaster Artist seems like it'll have an uphill battle to get a nomination since it's a comedy but maybe if Franco is good enough he'll get a Best Actor nom.

It would be amazing if Disaster Artist got a lot of noms and we see Wisseau making a speech with Franco lol

Potentials based on what's out and what's got early good word,

Detroit, The Big Sick, Call Me by Your Name, Dunkirk, Shape of Water, The Beguiled, Wind River, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, Molly's Game, A Ghost Story, Logan Lucky, Lady Bird.

possible but unlikely: Get Out, Wonder Woman, War for the Planet of the Apes, Darkest Hour (maybe? Gary Oldman is likely nominated for Best Actor regardless)

Best picture nomination is easy: Logan. Yeah yeah yeah, it's not a real contender for the pretense of the title, but together with Get Out, those are the real 'political' nominations to have. I suspect WB is going to try to get Wonder Woman in there instead, but neither of them is a real pick for the title. Get Out is going to get the 'original screenplay' or whatever.
Is that realistic, Bobby?

New movies these days need marketing to do well, which would encourage Hollywood to try new stuff most likely.

"marketing" is a big word to throw around when in reality people are not really that influenced by marketing itself. I know that sounds paradoxical, but consider this: if marketing was so great at promoting things, how come it utterly fails to promote original ideas?

The lion share of marketing as we know it is more about outbidding your competitors for visibility and reinforcing hype among the already known targets than it is actually good at promoting new things.

I don't mean that as an insult to the industry, but there is a complete mismatch between the amount of money thrown at the problem of visibility and what actually makes it through. If marketing worked so well, no studio would be desperate about having no clue as to what works anymore or why.
edit: everything needs visibility by virtue of marketing, yes, but nobody knows --other than nostalgia-- why some things tip over into mass visibility and other don't. "Trying new things" is not a very appealing strategy to the bottom line when nostalgia is much more successful.

Madao

i'll admit i'm one of those that went to watch IT because of the 90s miniseries.

that miniseries was one fo the very few horror things that scared the shit out of me as a kid to the point i was scared to even watch the whole thing. in fact, i've never seen it completely yet. might go do it after the second part of the new version is made (i don't want to get "spoiled")

Potentials based on what's out and what's got early good word,

Detroit, The Big Sick, Call Me by Your Name, Dunkirk, Shape of Water, The Beguiled, Wind River, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, Molly's Game, A Ghost Story, Logan Lucky, Lady Bird.

possible but unlikely: Get Out, Wonder Woman, War for the Planet of the Apes, Darkest Hour (maybe? Gary Oldman is likely nominated for Best Actor regardless)

I don't think Get Out is that unlikely at all but we'll see.

And I wouldn't bet on Detroit (didn't make that much of a splash), The Beguiled (very divisive) or Logan Lucky (no one saw it). Not that box-office equals nominations obviously but there's just not that much conversation around these films from what I've seen.

It'd be incredible if the movie about the worst movie of all time becomes an Oscar contender.

Well Ed Wood got some awards back in the day, right?
edit: yeah, Best Supporting Actor for Martin Landau and best makeup.

i'll admit i'm one of those that went to watch IT because of the 90s miniseries.

that miniseries was one fo the very few horror things that scared the shit out of me as a kid to the point i was scared to even watch the whole thing. in fact, i've never seen it completely yet. might go do it after the second part of the new version is made (i don't want to get "spoiled")

I confess I've never rewatched it for the exact same reason. As silly as the series seems now, as a kid...

I think I'll put on the October Halloween list for this year. Kinda surprised that thread isn't up yet though. SOON

Litan

Slayven Hyped for Thor now? wtf

First a 180 on Captain Marvel now this???
I'm actually mad he did a 180 on Captain Marvel. One of the reasons I was looking forward to it was because I knew, once it inevitably turned out good, people would be lining up to shove crow down his throat after years of him shitting on the character at every opportunity.
But Slayven saw it fit to take such simple pleasures away from us.

Also, I'm pretty sure he was always hyped for Thor.

Top Bottom