• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well-preserved wreck of WWI German submarine found off Belgian coast

lord quas

Via Reuters
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The well-preserved wreck of a World War One German submarine, possibly still containing the bodies of 23 crew members, has been found off the Belgian coast, Belgian broadcaster VRT said on Tuesday.

It was not yet clear which of the 11 known German submarine wrecks, often referred to as U-Boats, had been found, and authorities said they would not give the exact location of the wreck to deter looters.

The use of submarines in World War One to disrupt British trade routes in the English Channel and the North Sea was a key part of Germany's military tactics.
xxl.jpg

(Drawing of the wreck)

I love this kind of stuff.

Edit: more info with thanks to E-phonk
Some more picture and a slightly longer article that I (google) translated and adapted from De Morgen:

In the North Sea, near Ostend, the wreck of a German submarine was found. More than likely, the bodies of all 23 crew members are still on board.

Shortly before the summer, underwater scans revealed that there was possibly a submarine in the vicinity of Oostende. The location was scouted by scuba divers and the investigation showed that it is a German UB-II boat. The boat is on the starboard side at the bottom of the sea.

Particularly, the wreck with a length of 27 meters and a width of 6 meters is almost intact. It is the best-kept wreck of this type. Only the fork lacks two meters, but the torpedo tubes are still intact. Equally unique is that all the shutters are still closed, which indicates that the wreck has not been discovered before and shows that the 23 crew members are still in the wreckage.

What kind of submarine it is exactly is still unclear. It may be the UB-27, the UB-29 or the UB-32. The Flandern Flottille had 19 of these submarines, 15 of which were sunk. Together the U-Flanderen Flottille were responsible for sinking 2554 ships during World War I

This is the eleventh submarine that was found in the North Sea. The lists of crew members have already been requested. As soon as confirmation comes, the 23 missing people will be officially known. That has never happened to such a find in the North Sea.

How the boat is sunk is still unclear, but the damage on the bow indicates that a blast of a contact mine on the top of the submarine could be the cause. Where the submarine is found, scientists and governors do not want to say. This to avoid adventurers. In the meanwhile, the German embassy has been informed and a dossier is being drafted to protect the wreckage.

State Secretary for the North Sea Philippe De Backer must ensure that it gets officially recognized. He waits for the complete research report, but in any case he has the intention to protect this unique finding. This allows the wreck to be explored by officials, but closes other activities on the site such as fishing. There have already been eight shipwrecks with this special status.

Shadybiz

That is very interesting! Actually reading "The Guns of August" right now, so this is especially relevant to my interests.

Mohonky

Would never catch me in one of those things, Im surprised the officers can fit in those things considering the size of the balls it must take to even consider being on one of those things.....

E-phonk

Banned
Some more picture and a slightly longer article that I (google) translated and adapted from De Morgen:

In the North Sea, near Ostend, the wreck of a German submarine was found. More than likely, the bodies of all 23 crew members are still on board.

Shortly before the summer, underwater scans revealed that there was possibly a submarine in the vicinity of Oostende. The location was scouted by scuba divers and the investigation showed that it is a German UB-II boat. The boat is on the starboard side at the bottom of the sea.

Particularly, the wreck with a length of 27 meters and a width of 6 meters is almost intact. It is the best-kept wreck of this type. Only the fork lacks two meters, but the torpedo tubes are still intact. Equally unique is that all the shutters are still closed, which indicates that the wreck has not been discovered before and shows that the 23 crew members are still in the wreckage.

What kind of submarine it is exactly is still unclear. It may be the UB-27, the UB-29 or the UB-32. The Flandern Flottille had 19 of these submarines, 15 of which were sunk. Together the U-Flanderen Flottille were responsible for sinking 2554 ships during World War I

This is the eleventh submarine that was found in the North Sea. The lists of crew members have already been requested. As soon as confirmation comes, the 23 missing people will be officially known. That has never happened to such a find in the North Sea.

How the boat is sunk is still unclear, but the damage on the bow indicates that a blast of a contact mine on the top of the submarine could be the cause. Where the submarine is found, scientists and governors do not want to say. This to avoid adventurers. In the meanwhile, the German embassy has been informed and a dossier is being drafted to protect the wreckage.

State Secretary for the North Sea Philippe De Backer must ensure that it gets officially recognized. He waits for the complete research report, but in any case he has the intention to protect this unique finding. This allows the wreck to be explored by officials, but closes other activities on the site such as fishing. There have already been eight shipwrecks with this special status.

CHC

I can't even imagine how anxiety-inducing spending any amount of time in a World War I era submarine must have been. All I can think of is YouAreAlreadyDead.jpg, really.

Amazing, though, that these kind of things can still exist, preserved and undiscovered, on the ocean floor.

bosseye

Fascinating. It's such an emotive subject, especially if the crew is still inside. Just a scattering of bones in a gigantic rusted sarcophagus, lost in the dark at the bottom of the sea; what were their last moments like? Did anyone miss them? Is there descendants alive today who will finally know the last resting place of a family member?

bremon

Point still stands I'd say. 100 years of peace would sound nicer but, you know.

Fascinating. It's such an emotive subject, especially if the crew is still inside. Just a scattering of bones in a gigantic rusted sarcophagus, lost in the dark at the bottom of the sea; what were their last moments like? Did anyone miss them? Is there descendants alive today who will finally know the last resting place of a family member?
I'd hazard a guess that they would be "terrifying", "yes" and "yes".

Likely not the specific one, but reminding me that sinking the Lusitania and getting the US involved was a very fatal mistake for Germany, who might've ended up winning WWI otherwise.

Likely not the specific one, but reminding me that sinking the Lusitania and getting the US involved was a very fatal mistake for Germany, who might've ended up winning WWI otherwise.

A shame all it took for the US to get into the war was the british using passanger liners as munitions smuggling ships, purposely neglecting to say that the germans were right in targeting the ship because of the 100 or so tons of it aboard, and people in the US being told that germany celebrated the killing of innocent civilians.
Im a bit shakey on the last part, not sure about the truth behind that.

Cant wait for the day Britain has to own up to that nasty little war crime.

Top Bottom