• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump threatens to ‘totally destroy’ North Korea.

Hazu

Can't say I disagree with Trump on that matter. I mean, what else could we do if we were attacked by NK?

"Let's try to talk first!"

Yeah..no.

Nobody is saying Trump is smart but you have just created an impossible fantasy where NK strikes and people are not killed. That makes no sense and nuclear weapons are not the only thing the U.S. can use to defend itself or its allies. Maybe you think it is okay for a madman like Un to have his forces start attacking people without a response but I have a feeling most people in SK and Japan will not approve of being sitting ducks. Call it a hunch.

Hope you are right.

Kasumin

Putin chastised Trump for doing shit like this recently. It's stupid. Everyone in the world knows that harsh rhetoric like this is fuel on the fire and exactly what the regime in DPRK wants. Everyone except Donald and the dumbasses he surrounds himself with.

Exactly. The problem is HOW the president said what he said. In matters like this, it's important to keep a certain amount of decorum in how you speak. This is international policy that affects millions or even billions of lives. So outright saying "destroy" like that is really fucking dangerous.

HOW you say things is important. The Republicans have worked to break down the level of discourse in the US, and it seems like the idea of decorum is a casualty of this. This administration completely threw decorum out the window day one.

Speaking like this just makes the US look worse and weakens its position in the world.

Lombax

Banned
So what you're saying is that NK has been doing all of this just for fun?

I do question the sanity of what NK is doing, and if I'm honest I don't understand how they can act this recklessly on the world stage without being penalized [it would appear that sanctions mean fuck all to them].

Davidion

"but it's totally what our stance has always been!"

Says a bunch of geniuses who don't understand that how something is phrased can have impact on a massive scale.

norm9

I do question the sanity of what NK is doing, and if I'm honest I don't understand how they can act this recklessly on the world stage without being penalized [it would appear that sanctions mean fuck all to them].

NK used to rattle their sword only when they needed supplies and money. With our admin having an unhinged person in charge, they've acted up more because our guy is insane and doesn't know the game being played.

Volphied

Can't say I disagree with Trump on that matter. I mean, what else could we do if we were attacked by NK?

"Let's try to talk first!"

Yeah..no.

NK is not gonna attack the US, and Trump is not helping the current situation with his genocide talk.

Speaking of genocide, I have a question for all the people advocating war: How is "destroying North Korea" supposed to help all the oppressed North Korean civilians to achieve freedom? You can't be free if you're buried under radioactive rubble.

RDreamer

"but it's totally what our stance has always been!"

Says a bunch of geniuses who don't understand that how something is phrased can have impact on a massive scale.

Especially since this phrasing is kind of different from the actual policy. I'm not sure our stance has ever been to "totally destroy" North Korea should they attack. It's probably to totally destroy the regime. Totally destroy the government, maybe. There's a big problem in a leader just saying they would totally destroy a country, though, especially when you look at our previous history interfering in other countries. Totally destroying a country has a lot of implications.

Un loves when Trump talks like this, validates his nuclear program in the eyes of the NK people and makes his reign even stronger.

llien

How about posting what was actually said as the thread title rather that blatant clickbait.

Yeah, this is quite an important if, indeed: "If the United States is forced to defend itself or its allies, “we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea"

So what you're saying is that NK has been doing all of this just for fun?

The DPRK bases everything it does on the perception that the US wants to destroy their country. Their military posturing is all about appearing strong to their people, who are all brainwashed from birth to believe that the US hates them and intends on destroying them. It's their primary belief alongside adoration for dear leader.

Condom

Threaten countries with invasion and destruction and then complain about them investing in weapons. The US gets angry at other countries when they start protecting themselves from US intervention.

commedieu

Banned
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ge-emerges-us-president-nuclear-a7884666.html

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/l...re-emptive-north-korea-attack/article/2631153

“There are two scenarios where we would go to war with North Korea. If they attack Guam, or some other American interest, or our allies. Or if they tried to keep developing an ICBM with a nuclear weapon on top to try and hit the homeland, we would act,” Mr. Graham said.
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/9/lindsey-graham-donald-trumps-heated-warnings-have-/

Why all of you are forgetting that a "threat" includes continuing their weapons program to get cuties off about click bait and fake news is beyond me. Preemptive strikes are definitely in the air.

We blew up a country because we, thought, they had wmds folks. This time we have a literal moron in office.

Tamanon

Banned
Are we at the point where we use those old "the destruction of Israel doesn't mean the actual destruction of Israel" points?

Luschient

Now, if NK does get people killed, then that's gonna be a pill the world is gonna have to decide if they want to swallow, and I bet a lot of countries will be against it.

I guarantee if NK launched as much as a firecracker at SK, Japan, Guam, etc. then the US military would open up on them.

NK doesn't have to do some spectacular attack to set this thing off.

llien

The DPRK bases everything it does on the perception that the US wants to destroy their country. Their military posturing is all about appearing strong to their people, who are all brainwashed from birth to believe that the US hates them and intends on destroying them. It's their primary belief alongside adoration for dear leader.

Note how this is only part of it.
There is another one: North Korean government is the only "real" government of Korea, South is occupied by US and ruled by ia government controlled by US,, NK has souveren right to "free" entire peninsula.

That is as likely to happen as what Trump said in his 'if they do things" statement.

NK will build even stronger missiles and likely real hydrogen bombs too.
Trump will throw threats left and right.
Russia would go "US problem" with its population of course being more on NK side, than US/SK.
China, possibly the only stakeholder that cares and could change things, would do nothing.

Chances of actual war effectively zero.

Why all of you are forgetting that a "threat" includes continuing their weapons program to get cuties off about click bait and fake news is beyond me. Preemptive strikes are definitely in the air..

Oh, wow.
I think it's because nobody thinks he really means it.

Sounds like the only "or else" argument at negotiation table.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I look forward to a survivor of the nuclear holocaust reading through this conversation on a banged up computer terminal in an abandoned apartment in a devastated, irradiated city somewhere.

brian577

Banned
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ge-emerges-us-president-nuclear-a7884666.html

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/l...re-emptive-north-korea-attack/article/2631153

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/9/lindsey-graham-donald-trumps-heated-warnings-have-/

Why all of you are forgetting that a "threat" includes continuing their weapons program to get cuties off about click bait and fake news is beyond me. Preemptive strikes are definitely in the air.

We blew up a country because we, thought, they had wmds folks. This time we have a literal moron in office.

Because Graham's opinion isn't worth shit.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
go on... trump supporters tend to not last long on here. tell me how you really feel when I shit on your orange idol?

Been a member since 2008, but whatever makes you happy. My responses to your comments haven't even mentioned trump, just that you've contributed nothing meaningful to the conversation that's taking place.

Any other insights?

Been a member since 2008, but whatever makes you happy. My responses to your comments haven't even mentioned trump, just that you've contributed nothing meaningful to the conversation that's taking place.

Any other insights?

that your alt must still be in the queue for activation because clearly you've been triggered and aren't willing to let this account go yet

norm9

InternetFight.gif

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
that your alt must still be in the queue for activation because clearly you've been triggered and aren't willing to let this account go yet

I have no other accounts, nor do i need any other. Feel free to continue shitting up this post with quirky (quirky in your head only of course) trump comments that aren't actual talking points to what we're discussing though as it clearly gives you an e-boner.

Done with you..

This.

Still looking for the text that couches this only as a response to a direct attack from NK.

When Mattis speaks of "running out of time" with Korea, its not the time until NK attacks us. Its a believed window of opportunity before NK has nuclear capable ICBMs.

Top Bottom