• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

UberTag

Is it worth picking up Calamity Trigger first for story continuity or should I start with BlazBlue here due to Tutorial mode?
Also, is Malibu Stacy a playable character? I want to use that new hat.

Is it worth picking up Calamity Trigger first for story continuity or should I start with BlazBlue here due to Tutorial mode?
Also, is Malibu Stacy a playable character? I want to use that new hat.

This includes CT's story, so there's no reason at all for you to get it.

Ken

Blazblue is the one fighting game I wish I could get into but can't. Feels like it has such a high learning barrier/curve.

Mognet

I got the Vita version preordered... I wont be playing it until the end of Febuary unfortunately. ):

I'm hoping to learn a character who isn't Hazama this time (who am I kidding? I can't stay away from him).

danmaku

Already bought this, waiting for PAL release to find someone online... but I still think that this version should've been DLC. Now we'll have a smaller online community and fewer people at offline meetings because Arcsys wants to milk the franchise like crazy.

T.O.P

Banned
Pickin up both Vita and 360 versions on D1

Gonna try the shit out of Relius :D

Add me up

Live: Marty McFly o3

Esura

Banned
Amazon isn't offering release day delivery so I won't be day 1. I'll be there as soon as I can though!
My apartment building is right behind (literally) a Gamestop...well an entire plaza of stores actually so I do all my preorders at Gamestop.

I don't actually like preordering on Amazon personally because most games I would like to preorder don't have release day deliveries.

Blazblue is the one fighting game I wish I could get into but can't. Feels like it has such a high learning barrier/curve.

It does, and I haven't even made it half way across the barrier (I can't do Noel's damaging BnBs for the life of me). lmao

I still love this series though for the characters, story, beautiful graphics, and scrubbing out with some peeps online.

Ken

My apartment building is right behind (literally) a Gamestop...well an entire plaza of stores actually so I do all my preorders at Gamestop.

I don't actually like preordering on Amazon personally because most games I would like to preorder don't have release day deliveries.

It does, and I haven't even made it half way across the barrier (I can't do Noel's damaging BnBs for the life of me). lmao

I still love this series though for the characters, story, beautiful graphics, and scrubbing out with some peeps online.
The sad thing is that I've bought Calamity Trigger, Continuum Shift, the Continuum Shift LE from Japan, and CSII for 3DS just to try again and again to like the game. I'll probably give in to Extend too, one day. ;_;

I really like BB but there is no way they getting another $80 (price of the new version where i live ) out of me for this game.
Not after i bought the DLC and this only has 1 char and can't work with other version they will see me back when they bring out BB3.

Fugu

Learning BnBs is, incidentally, the easiest part of learning this game as BnBs are one of the few things that you can brute force. It's far more important to learn how to actually be dynamic and creative in a fight, which takes constant effort and introspection. It's counter-intuitive but I think that part is more fun, anyway.

Believe it or not guys, I never really played through the story modes. So now if I do ill be putting in Rpg hours for ct, cs, and ex's stories

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The european le is shitty :(

I'll buy it for vita at launch, can someone explain me the gameplay differences between guilty gear and blazblue? Thx :D

danmaku

Believe it or not guys, I never really played through the story modes. So now if I do ill be putting in Rpg hours for ct, cs, and ex's stories

I never played story mode, either. I never even bother to clear the arcade mode in previous games, I did it in CSE for the first time because I couldn't play online. And holy shit it was boring. Playing against the CPU has the same appeal as playing against bots in Team Fortress 2 or Unreal Tournament. Needless to say, I fucking hate when you have to unlock characters by playing single player modes (vanilla SF4, I'm looking at you!).

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Imported this for Vita last year and may end up buying the U.S. version for the story mode stuff, which I never played before.

I don't play BB very much and am not sure if I am going to get it on consoles, but this version of the game really does seem to be a hell of a lot more balanced.

Any shortcomings for the Vita version?
Like statics backgrounds, bad sprite downscaling, etc.?

Nothing...it looks beautiful and nothing is missing as far as I can tell. The game looks absolutely gorgeous on the Vita screen and the online play is very, very good (way better than UMvC3). Not as good as the console versions, but I have still had plenty of matches against Japanese players with minimal lag.

I would say that Continuum Shift Extend Vita sets the bar pretty high for portable fighting game ports. UMvC3 is no slouch either, but it has some noticeable visual downgrades from the console versions. BB does not.

I never played story mode, either. I never even bother to clear the arcade mode in previous games, I did it in CSE for the first time because I couldn't play online. And holy shit it was boring. Playing against the CPU has the same appeal as playing against bots in Team Fortress 2 or Unreal Tournament. Needless to say, I fucking hate when you have to unlock characters by playing single player modes (vanilla SF4, I'm looking at you!).

Well my reason for the story mode not being touched was more along the lines of me being a bit intimated. I don't caring negative feelings towards fighting game stories especially not this one.

Theonik

To buy the PS3 Limited Edition or the Vita Limited Edition. That is the question.
Getting both and Vita version first but I want the PS3 LE so it can match with my other 2 BlazBlue LEs >.>

Any shortcomings for the Vita version?
Like statics backgrounds, bad sprite downscaling, etc.?

There is sprite downscaling. Blazblue arcade runs natively at 1280 x 768 so the sprites are downscaled for the 544p qHD display on PSVita.
As you can see from the OS-level screenshots though, it scales quite nicely, unlike the old PSP and 3DS ports of CT and CSII.

The european le is shitty :(

I'll buy it for vita at launch, can someone explain me the gameplay differences between guilty gear and blazblue? Thx :D
In short, Blaz is both slower paced and easier than Guilty. Lots of GG diehards hold that against BB, but I don't care.
There are lots of parallels in game systems. Dead Angle Attack, Burst, Barrier Block, Instant Block, Roman Cancels, Negative Penalty, etc. are all there in some repsect or another.

Learning BnBs is, incidentally, the easiest part of learning this game as BnBs are one of the few things that you can brute force. It's far more important to learn how to actually be dynamic and creative in a fight, which takes constant effort and introspection. It's counter-intuitive but I think that part is more fun, anyway.
Mission mode combo replays are also a godsend for this game. It makes it easy for people to find their own shorter versions of complicated combos. I know it was a lifesaver for me.
You'll enjoy story mode for this game so long as you keep an open mind. The joke endings and alternate paths are hilarious too haha. You'll be cracking up at Jin's erratic behavior too. :p

Yes, if you're going to play story mode you NEED to get the joke endings. Sure, BB's story is good for a fighter, but personally, for me the joke endings were the best part of both CT and CS's stories. Except Lambda's, god damn all of her endings are depressing one way or another :(

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
There is sprite downscaling. Blazblue arcade runs natively at 1280 x 768 so the sprites are downscaled for the 544p qHD display on PSVita.
As you can see from the OS-level screenshots though, it scales quite nicely, unlike the old PSP and 3DS ports of CT and CSII.

You can't even tell the difference on the Vita screen.

Again...perfect port. Makes the 3DS version of CSII look really, really, REALLY poor in comparison, although that was just a lazy PSP port to begin with.

Z3M0G

Conflicted...

Didn't finish story mode of Continuum Shift, and didn't buy any of the DLC...

May need to get this one day, but I should finish Continuum Shift first to know if it is worth it. The story dialogues are WAY too long compared to the first one...

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Great OT, _dementia!
I sent you a PM with a special thank you :)

The game ships in T-minus 6 days *gasp*!

I hope you all enjoy it! :D

Naite

Got the LE for $40 from Amazon as well, but I live in Canada, so add in the shipping and I end up paying a few dollars less than the normal price.

This includes CT's story, so there's no reason at all for you to get it.

From what I've read, the CT part is just an extended version of the True End route. So he'd be missing out on quite a bit.

Havn't played since the original. Time to learn about all those nerfs I heard Tager got. I'm still here for you big guy!

Suprisingly Tager is actually pretty good in this version.

Guess who forgot to check out after putting the game into the cart in Amazon for the $40.00 LE?

THAT'S RIGHT

QisTopTier

mini edit: finally found the OT

frequency

To buy the PS3 Limited Edition or the Vita Limited Edition. That is the question.
Getting both and Vita version first but I want the PS3 LE so it can match with my other 2 BlazBlue LEs >.>
Vita LE exists? I don't see it anywhere. Just see PS3/360 LE.

Suprisingly Tager is actually pretty good in this version.

I'm ok with this. Getting pretty hyped for this game again. Loved CT more than any other fighting game this gen (probably because I'm a GG player at heart), but got sort of upset with the quick release of CS. My body is ready, though!

Top Bottom