• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is bread really THAT bad for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining

Good bread:
tumblr_l9tlimUOSV1qa0jkr

Bad bread:

When people are saying fruit juice is bad what kind of fruit juice is that exactly? I have the orange one where I just put a thumbs thickness of juice in it and dilute the rest with water. Are these bad too? Or is it the pure orange/apple juice kind that are bad?

Gintamen

All juices are worse than the original product, since they mostly have no fiber and are made out of concentrate, worse, most of those are even 50%concentrate; 50%whatever.

Of course many of those have "good" ingredients too, like antioxidants in cherry juice, but never use it as a complete surrogate for cola/fruits/vegetables.

IceCold

What's your argument, exactly?
Is the manufacturing of canola oil somehow bad for you? If so, how exactly?
Are the temperatures we cook canola at bad for us? If so, how exactly?

Or is this just yet another "Processed foods are bad, mmmkay?" argument?

Same for you. Enriched and fortified foods are good things. Refining is just a process of removing shit you don't want from what you do want.

Well as you saw canola oil is chemically removed and has healthy ingredients such as lye and bleach used in its production process (canola oil was first invented as fuel in the 1800s and it tasted like shit...until they found a way to remove its bitter taste). Contrast this with olive oil which you could extract from your home by using an olive presser if you wanted to. These vegetables oils at high heat produce free radicals which are known to be bad for you. On top of that, these oils are usually high in PUFA which should be limited. In contrast, animal fats are high in saturated fats which are good for you.

You can forget about paleo and just consider this: If you want to eat healthy, cut the vegetables oils, and replace them with stuff like butter, coconut oil, and lard. Olive oil is good too (I wouldn't cook at high heat with it, but it's great to put on your salads, vegetables, fish etc.). Reduce your carbs by cutting the simple carbs (pasta, bread, white rice) and reducing carbs in general (such as from fruits and potatoes). Cut processed foods. Exercise.

If it's too much for you try sticking to a 80/20 model. Meaning you follow this 80% of the time, and 20% of time you eat other stuff. So you could eat a sandwich once in a while, a bag of chips, etc. Just understand what you are putting in your system.

But forget it, it's all bullshit anyways.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
When people are saying fruit juice is bad what kind of fruit juice is that exactly? I have the orange one where I just put a thumbs thickness of juice in it and dilute the rest with water. Are these bad too? Or is it the pure orange/apple juice kind that are bad?

Some are bad some are good but the real issue is the modern serving size. A tall glass of juice in general is way too much sugar. Either drink it out of a small cup or eat the fruit it originally came from.

Bread consumed in 10,000 BC is not the same as most bread consumed in 2013 AD.

funny thing is the human gut never stops adapting to changing environments. It's a very efficient system.

The only "bad" bread is stuff like Wonder Bread. Buy good quality whole grain bread and pay attention to the ingredients. Modern bread has been about the same for a long time and the only difference is the spngy, white bread that you find in many supermarkets that is like $2 for a loaf.

The problems of the American diet in the last 50 or so years is the reliance on fast food and the lack of fruits and vegetables and drinking lots and lots of sugary drinks.

Low carb and paleo "work" in the sense that many people overeat starchy and carb loaded foods (look at the typical "american" food: fried breaded chicken, potatoes, corn; better choice: grilled chicken breast, "California mix" veggies). With substituting lean meats and vegetables, you've effectively changed your diet for the better. This isn't new. That's why in a lot of success stories, people have gone from a diet heavy in junk food to diets loaded with veggies and lean meat. It's a no-brainer.

harSon

Banned
funny thing is the human gut never stops adapting to changing environments. It's a very efficient system.

The only "bad" bread is stuff like Wonder Bread. Buy good quality whole grain bread and pay attention to the ingredients. Modern bread has been about the same for a long time and the only difference is the spngy, white bread that you find in many supermarkets that is like $2 for a loaf.

The problems of the American diet in the last 50 or so years is the reliance on fast food and the lack of fruits and vegetables and drinking lots and lots of sugary drinks.

Low carb and paleo "work" in the sense that many people overeat starchy and carb loaded foods (look at the typical "american" food: fried breaded chicken, potatoes, corn; better choice: grilled chicken breast, "California mix" veggies). With substituting lean meats and vegetables, you've effectively changed your diet for the better. This isn't new. That's why in a lot of success stories, people have gone from a diet heavy in junk food to diets loaded with veggies and lean meat. It's a no-brainer.

You don't really transition to lean meats when doing low-carb.

kirblar

Found out I couldn't eat wheat and had essentially been poisoning myself at 23. Mammoth life changing difference. But that's for me. Not for everyone.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just a 30-45 min. walk to the gym deads, squats, and bench. For assistance I do chins, pulls, leg press, and rows-just recently.

I'm 5'7'' 170 lbs. last I checked, it's around 4:00 AM here and I apologize if I'm not being too clear on things.
Additionally, I started Intermittent Fasting a few years ago and I eat within an 8 hour window after working out, usually about 20 oz. of chocolate milk, and a tin of sardines sometimes in water, no extra PUFA besides that in the fish.
Then I walk back, liver once a week, at least 4 oz., other days steak post workout, steak usually every day, eggs at night, lots of cheese and kerrygold butter or coconut oil. A glass of orange juice to wash things down if I feel like it, definitely fruit, maybe ice cream.

It's my personal paleo basically with the addition of sugar, mostly from fruit related things, and I feel very good on it.
If you're interested in it in more depth, Ray Peat, who basically coined this way of eating long ago, goes into various detail throughout his site in articles.
Here's a list of more candid exchanges between him and others detailing his beliefs in a more base way as some find his articles overly complex and I skim them mostly:
http://peatarian.com/?qa=private-corresponding#58.
Good night and be good.

Bonus:Fun coffee article. http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtml

Thanks for the in-depth reply. I'll definitely look into this Ray Peat guy and his way of eating.

IceCold

You don't really transition to lean meats when doing low-carb.

This. People say it's a no-brainer but it isn't as you can see from the post you quoted. To go LCHF is to go against what most of the dietary/nutritionist community advocates. You are going against the grain. Doing simple low crab without upping your fat is a terrible idea. You'll feel tired all the time and you'll become depressed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This. People say it's a no-brainer but it isn't as you can see from the post you quoted. To go LCHF is to go against what most of the dietary/nutritionist community advocates. You are going against the grain. Doing simple low crab without upping your fat is a terrible idea. You'll feel tired all the time and you'll become depressed.

I suspect this is the reason you see people in diet threads who complain about feeling lethargic all the time after going low-carb or full-on keto. They are probably eating like 80% protein or something, which is not a good idea.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Ugh, pages of people who don't know what they're talking about talking completely out of their asses.

Yes, (most) bread is unhealthy, yes because of the carbs. What do the large amount of carbs from bread do in your body after you eat it? How does it affect insulin? How much carbohydrate does the average person actually use as glucose fuel before those carbs are stored as fat? What are the affects that prolonged spans of very high dietary carbohydrates (aka the food pyramid diet), have on most people's insulin response?

If you disagree with the fact that bread is not healthy, can you answer any of these questions? And If you don't even know what bread does in your body, then how exactly do you think you're qualified to post on this subject? Please.

Thank you to the people in the thread who actually know what they're talking about.

RM8

Legit question - if I eat 5 times the carbs I'm "supposed" to eat, but while on a calorie deficit, does it matter at all? It's just... Well, including myself, I know a ton of people who eat a lot or carbs and are not overweight or sick. And I myself I'm pretty sedentary to boot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Legit question - if I eat 5 times the carbs I'm "supposed" to eat, but while on a calorie deficit, does it matter at all? It's just... Well, including myself, I know a ton of people who eat a lot or carbs and are not overweight or sick. And I myself I'm pretty sedentary to boot.

You'll have to give it a try to find out. Weight loss (and gain) can be affected by a wide variety of factors and everyone is different, so it's really not that simple.

RM8

It's a bit difficult for me to believe a ton of people can eat plenty of carbs while other people can't at all. Why would fat storage vary so much? It's just weird. My Japanese relatives would have two bowls of white rice with breakfast alone, and they're absolutely not overweight. Nor athletes. I mean, it's just weird to me, I don't claim to be right.

That's what carbs are for. A reduction not complete removal. That's why the standard diet guide contains suggestions for stuff like whole grains.

People get depressed and other stuff on restrictive diets. There has been psychological studies that show that stress is increased when presented with food you cannot eat due to diet or peer pressure.

That's why I always say go to a dietitian first to get a personal and professional suggestions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's a bit difficult for me to believe a ton of people can eat plenty of carbs while other people can't at all. Why would fat storage vary so much? It's just weird. My Japanese relatives would have two bowls of white rice with breakfast alone, and they're absolutely not overweight. Nor athletes. I mean, it's just weird to me, I don't claim to be right.

It all depends on the person's lifestyle and what they eat. It's not as simple as just saying under X calories or X carbs = weight loss. Only general guidelines can be offered because everyone is different and most people simply don't, or can't, evaluate every aspect of their lives.

IceCold

You won't really gain weight at a caloric deficit like that but time may catch up to you later on. By eating like that you may be skinny but still have a less than flattering amounts of body fat on you (skinny-fat like body) ). But there are other health issues as to why you'd want to reduce your carbs (such as the increase of the small dense LDL cholesterol (pattern B) or mouth hygiene). If you want to lose weight, nothing beats low carb + caloric deficit.

That's what carbs are for. A reduction not complete removal. That's why the standard diet guide contains suggestions for stuff like whole grains.

No. That's what fat is for. If you eat a lot of carbs your body won't use its fat reserves as effectively due to insulin. The food pyramid is fucked and advocates wayyyy to many grains, and too little fat (dat Agricultural subsidy). They advocate something like 6+ servings of carb heavy food products and only 0-3 servings of fat. That's ridiculous. No wonder everyone is getting fat.

It's the amount of carbs you eat a day is what matters the most.

Doesn't matter if its bread,rice,etc.

Keep it at around 100g or so a day(less might be a little better) and your good.

You won't really gain weight at a caloric deficit like that but time may catch up to you later on. By eating like that you may be skinny but still have a less than flattering amounts of body fat on you (skinny-fat like body) ). But there are other health issues as to why you'd want to reduce your carbs (such as the increase of the small dense LDL cholesterol (pattern B) or mouth hygiene). If you want to lose weight, nothing beats low carb + caloric deficit.

No. That's what fat is for. If you eat a lot of carbs your body won't use its fat reserves as effectively due to insulin. The foot pyramid is fucked and advocates wayyyy to many grains, and too little fat (dat Agricultural subsidy). They advocate something like 6+ servings of carb heavy food products and only 0-3 servings of fat. That's ridiculous. No wonder everyone is getting fat.

Uh, they have updated the food guide since then. They also make the distinction between whole grains and refined ones.

Everyone is getting fat because of sugary drinks and bad food and no exercise. You have like a large percentage of Americans getting most of their caloric intake from soda alone.
If Americans were to change two meals a day to a healthier alternative and cut soda out, we'd be in a much better situation.

Bread is basically sugar, all refined carbs, and shoots your blood sugar level faster than sucrose. For the calories you get it's also pretty low in nutrients. So if you are worried about your weight you shouldn't eat too much of it.

White bread and multi grain is all the same shit.

It explains why so many vegetarians I've met are so heavy - they load up on the breads to feel more full when lacking protein.

Yeah this worked for me. Eating keto dropped my cholesterol from over 200 to 113 with most of it being HDL......according to doctors i should be having a heart attack from eating a dozen eggs and a package of bacon a day.

My diet is different now but it did what I needed it to do.
Now I just eat grilled chicken breast, broccoli, and 1 serving of almonds a day.

Just on the almonds thing - wouldn't you be at risk of developing a nut allergy that way?

IceCold

Uh, they have updated the food guide since then.

Everyone is getting fat because of sugary drinks and bad food and no exercise. You have like a large percentage of Americans getting most of their caloric intake from soda alone.

Still says the same thing: http://www.health.gov.sk.ca/canadas-food-guide

Fat isn't even on the list.

What does the USDA say?
http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

Again no fat shown in the image. Most of your energy comes from the carbs since they exclude fats and promote grain. And when they do they claim canola oil is healthy.

Still says the same thing: http://www.health.gov.sk.ca/canadas-food-guide

Fat isn't even on the list.

What does the USDA say?
http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

Again no fat shown in the image. Most of your energy comes from the carbs since they exclude fats and promote grain. And when they do they claim canola oil is healthy.

True. I'm not saying I completely agree with the USDA suggestions. Stuff like olive oil, nuts and meats have been quite demonized when they're actually beneficial.
That's the problem with demonizing foods, it leads to extremes. Yes, most people need to limit their carbs to 2-3 servings of whole grains . Yes, they need to add more fats to feel full. They also need to eat a lot more vegetables, which to a lot of Americans mean bland, boiled all to hell vegetables which is not the case in many other cultures.

And eggs, people still believe they raise cholesterol.

As always, go to a professional and don't rely on the internet.

Keto for 2 years now. Don't miss the carbs at all, and love the meat, eggs, cheese and green leafy veggies.

I do, however, use heroin. But only in moderation.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
True. I'm not saying I completely agree with the USDA suggestions. Stuff like olive oil, nuts and meats have been quite demonized when they're actually beneficial.
That's the problem with demonizing foods, it leads to extremes. Yes, most people need to limit their carbs to 2-3 servings of whole grains . Yes, they need to add more fats to feel full. They also need to eat a lot more vegetables, which to a lot of Americans mean bland, boiled all to hell vegetables which is not the case in many other cultures.

And eggs, people still believe they raise cholesterol.

As always, go to a professional and don't rely on the internet.

I disagree because a lot of professionals just get their official opinion from organizations that get their opinion from the USDA, who get their opinion from lobbyists and "scientific studies" funded by industry giants.

But, do whatever you feel is best, obviously. I'm not advocating that you take any specific post you find on the Internet, but I think it's a much better idea to really research this stuff on your own rather than ask any one person or organization for an opinion on what you should do.

That doesn't solve anything and that's exactly why everyone is so confused about what to eat and what not to eat. There's too much noise.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That doesn't solve anything and that's exactly why everyone is so confused about what to eat and what not to eat. There's too much noise.

All it takes is time and a will to learn to sift through it. I think most people will come to a similar conclusion after a while. I've seen it happen a dozen times in the Weight Loss thread.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

Ok, take me for example.A year ago I was between 350-400 pounds, being a lacto-ovo vegetarian whose diet was almost exclusively junk food. For dinner each night I'd have 4 blocks of fucking RAMEN with marinara sauce. Every night. for years. I say I was between 350-400 pounds because I could never find a scale that went high enough even if for some reason I'd WANTED to know the ugly truth.

A year later, still a lacto-ovo vegetarian but now out of a shitty marriage and reclaiming my life. Now I'm down to 195 and log every one of my daily 1,750 calorie allotment on My Fitness Pal. I have good reason to suspect that I'll hit my goal of 160 by the end of summer.

Now, being a vegetarian a lot of sources of protein and fat are lost to me. I eat TONS of eggs, full-fat yogurt, peanuts, etc... because otherwise my diet would be entirely plant-based carbs. As it is my diet is between 55-60% carbohydrates daily, and I eat roughly 250g of carbohydrates daily.

Carbs aren't the devil necessarily, it's largely due to what they come from to my understanding. I may eat 250g of carbs a day, but it doesn't come from much bread which I eat exceedingly rarely. I eat tons of beans, lentils, and every morning for breakfast I eat 12 ounces of oatmeal, which is a real treat.

I keep my sugar intake to around 35g daily and my fiber intake is up around 50-70g daily.

As has been said, carb source is so important and while I'm no scientist perhaps your Japanese relatives have evolved subtly over time to metabolize rice more efficiently due to it being a staple. It might also be due to their activity levels, genetics, or what the REST of their diet consists of.

In several weight loss communities I belong to, including here on GAF, I'll admit the zeitgeist seems to be centered around low-carb eating. Maybe if I could do it and ate meat I would have lost even more weight even more quickly. I can't really attest either way.

What I can promise you is that low-carb, while an excellent way, is not the only way. Even with my ingesting huge amounts of carbohydrates every day I've done alright.

I can't really answer the question "Is bread really that bad for you?". It's quite complicated, as you can see. I still eat it occasionally, myself. I can answer, from my own experience, that carbs themselves aren't necessarily that bad for you.

I'd sincerely like to try low-carb some time, but I just can't bring myself to eat meat and don't feel like putting the effort to figure out if there is a way for vegetarians to do it since I'm having pretty good luck with my current system.

Tesseract

Banned
i use the fuck it diet of eating whatever i want so long as i keep my 155 pound 6 feet stature. centrum silver and everyday exercise does me good.

i'll probably die at 60 or 70. whatevers.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I love bread but my digestive system really hates wheat. When I go wheat free I feel so much better.

IceCold

That's the way it is and unfortunately it won't change. The USDA has it's stamp of approval on all sorts of bullshit products. Now imagine if they did a 180 on their stance. They'd lose all credibility.

The worst part is that when the anti-fat craze started, maybe people were skeptical and scientists wanted the government to do more research before committing to the idea that fat and cholesterol leads to heart disease.

George McGovern's response to that was: "Well I would only argue that senators don't have the luxury that a research scientist does of waiting until every last shred of evidence is in"

Imo, you should support diets such as paleo whether you agree with them or not since they try to break the status quo. It doesn't take a genius to realize that the food industry is fucked.

Ok, take me for example.A year ago I was between 350-400 pounds, being a lacto-ovo vegetarian whose diet was almost exclusively junk food. For dinner each night I'd have 4 blocks of fucking RAMEN with marinara sauce. Every night. for years. I say I was between 350-400 pounds because I could never find a scale that went high enough even if for some reason I'd WANTED to know the ugly truth.

A year later, still a lacto-ovo vegetarian but now out of a shitty marriage and reclaiming my life. Now I'm down to 195 and log every one of my daily 1,750 calorie allotment on My Fitness Pal. I have good reason to suspect that I'll hit my goal of 160 by the end of summer.

Now, being a vegetarian a lot of sources of protein and fat are lost to me. I eat TONS of eggs, full-fat yogurt, peanuts, etc... because otherwise my diet would be entirely plant-based carbs. As it is my diet is between 55-60% carbohydrates daily, and I eat roughly 250g of carbohydrates daily.

Carbs aren't the devil necessarily, it's largely due to what they come from to my understanding. I may eat 250g of carbs a day, but it doesn't come from much bread which I eat exceedingly rarely. I eat tons of beans, lentils, and every morning for breakfast I eat 12 ounces of oatmeal, which is a real treat.

I keep my sugar intake to around 35g daily and my fiber intake is up around 50-70g daily.

As has been said, carb source is so important and while I'm no scientist perhaps your Japanese relatives have evolved subtly over time to metabolize rice more efficiently due to it being a staple. It might also be due to their activity levels, genetics, or what the REST of their diet consists of.

In several weight loss communities I belong to, including here on GAF, I'll admit the zeitgeist seems to be centered around low-carb eating. Maybe if I could do it and ate meat I would have lost even more weight even more quickly. I can't really attest either way.

What I can promise you is that low-carb, while an excellent way, is not the only way. Even with my ingesting huge amounts of carbohydrates every day I've done alright.

I can't really answer the question "Is bread really that bad for you?". It's quite complicated, as you can see. I still eat it occasionally, myself. I can answer, from my own experience, that carbs themselves aren't necessarily that bad for you.

I'd sincerely like to try low-carb some time, but I just can't bring myself to eat meat and don't feel like putting the effort to figure out if there is a way for vegetarians to do it since I'm having pretty good luck with my current system.

For weight loss I'd say low carb is the the best way: http://www.dietdoctor.com/science

werks

Banned
Carb back loading and loving it. Losing fat and gaining muscle and strength. Don't really care what the "experts" have to say.

Geez, 400 pounds while being a vegetarian. My dreams of eating health & not gaining any weight just shattered.
The fact you lost over 50% of that in a year is proof whatever diet you are on now is solid.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Carb back loading and loving it. Losing fat and gaining muscle and strength. Don't really care what the "experts" have to say.

I've read a bit about carb backloading and am interested in learning more about it. What sources did you use to get started?

Geez, 400 pounds while being a vegetarian. My dreams of eating health & not gaining any weight just shattered.
The fact you lost over 50% of that in a year is proof whatever diet you are on now is solid.

Well, the first step is to stop equating vegetarianism with "eating healthy."

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

Well, the first step is to stop equating vegetarianism with "eating healthy."

Oh man, there are so many awful ways to eat even when you're a vegetarian. The concept is so beautiful- Don't eat meat. You'd think that means load up on fruits and veggies, huh? Not for many vegetarians I knew.

You've REALLY got to train your system to stop expecting to feel "full" from fruits and veggies the same way it would feel "full" from another one of my favorite ol' dishes, taking about 8-9 small Yukon Gold potatoes and baking them with about half a cup of margarine.

Basically, it all comes down to educating yourself and learning how to have a healthy relationship with food. The thread last month that showcased the insidious lengths that the food industry will take to override your personal agency just goes to show that modern man sorta has the deck stacked against them when it comes to learning healthy eating.

It's hard to compete with food lobbies seducing politicians and spending millions of dollars finding the exact right flavoring and mouth-feel to make something irresistible to humans.

JB1981

I am going to say it depends on the person, their metabolism, their level of insulin resistance and their level of physical activity. I eat bread all the time, have done so all my life and I have maintained a perfectly normal bodyweight for my height and age. I'm 5'11" 185lbs and I'm lean. I'm have a little tiny bit of "fat" in the tummy but its negligible. I work a desk job 8-5, do a lot of driving and still eat bread and don't put on poundage. Now I usually eat organic multigrain bread so which is full of fiber and nutrients so maybe that helps. I also eat a lot of rice, but also eat a lot of fat and protein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom