• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS launches June 16

Right, my point is just that there's already been videos and topics discussing the game's pace, tech, watchability, and viability...and those resources generally go overlooked in lieu of continuing to ask those already-addressed questions. There's not been a single ARMS topic that's gone by without multiple people wondering whether the game has online play or not, despite it being confirmed literally during the game's initial mainstage reveal.

Part of this is a problem with Nintendo's messaging for the game, to be sure, but even on this site there's been a lot of inattention to detail, willfully or otherwise. I don't think another topic showing the old invitational video is going to change any minds here, I guess is my point.

Another thing is Nintendo's focus on the motion controls is probably more damaging than we thought. I'm sure the motion controls are great, but nobody really cares about motion controls. Unless it's integrated with VR it's not a selling point anymore. I just listened to a recent episode of The Giant Beastcast where the group completely dismissed the game cuz it reminded them too much of a Wii game, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who don't have strong feelings for this felt that same way.

DKL

To be honest, even if the game didn't have motion controls, I suspect that the same people would write the game off as being simple and casual without even looking at the system mechanics or what you can do with them.

People just like to... say things.

Someone in the NCR thread said that Tekken didn't have the depth of Street Fighter and I reeled back in my chair and tried to figure out how this would make sense to anyone who progressed beyond mashing Eddy's kicks or whatever.

To be honest, even if the game didn't have motion controls, I suspect that the same people would write the game off as being simple and casual without even looking at the system mechanics or what you can do with them.

People just like to... say things.

Someone in the NCR thread said that Tekken didn't have the depth of Street Fighter and I reeled back in my chair and tried to figure out how this would make sense to anyone who progressed beyond mashing Eddy's kicks or whatever.

Yeah. Most of it is coming from the FGC side that is still not entirely convinced it will stack up with other fighters.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I'm really starting to worry about Single Player content, or lack thereof with ARMS.

I mean, they showed a singleplayer minigame-like thing in the direct and said it was one of many modes. Why would you start to worry about Single Player once they start showing single player content?

Neoxon

Yeah. Most of it is coming from the FGC side that is still not entirely convinced it will stack up with other fighters.
In terms of competitive popularity, ARMS has quite the steep hill to climb. Between Street Fighter V, both Smash games (Melee & Smash 4, both of which are rumored to be Switch-bound via Virtual Console & an enhanced port respectively), Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, Tekken 7, Guilty Gear Xrd: REV 2, & a bunch of others, ARMS may not have the easiest time right now in terms of breaking through into the FGC.

DKL

In terms of competitive popularity, ARMS has quite the steep hill to climb. Between Street Fighter V, both Smash games (Melee & Smash 4, both of which are rumored to be Switch-bound via Virtual Console & an enhanced port respectively), Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, Tekken 7, Guilty Gear Xrd: REV 2, & a bunch of others, ARMS may not have the easiest time right now in terms of breaking through into the FGC.

KOF so dead it's not even on your list after 2K pot bonus at NCR ;_;

(I think it paid more than UMVC3? lol)

That said, I feel like the game doesn't necessarily need to "break through"...

(and let's be real: FGC is pretty poverty outside of SFV... there's like no real money anywhere else and Bronson even shat on the dude he was playing with in Tekken 7 Grand Finals by saying that he won even though he has a job lol)

Wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the go to side tourney game since it's portable and apparently enough people own a Switch.

I won't necessarily care if it becomes a main event or not as long as people play it lol

EDIT:

Wait, MK.

I think I remember Sonic Fox making a lot of money on that.

But yeah, it's not this widespread thing.

Takat

Now that you mentioned that it made me think that maybe that's why Nintendo didn't unveil Smash for now, to let Arms shine. If a smash port was seen I don't think Arms would have such an impact.

Neoxon

KOF so dead it's not even on your list after 2K pot bonus at NCR ;_;

(I think it paid more than UMVC3? lol)

That said, I feel like the game doesn't necessarily need to "break through"...

(and let's be real: FGC is pretty poverty outside of SFV... there's like no real money anywhere else and Bronson even shat on the dude he was playing with in Tekken 7 Grand Finals by saying that he won even though he has a job lol)

Wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the go to side tourney game since it's portable and apparently enough people own a Switch.

I won't necessarily care if it becomes a main event or not as long as people play it lol

EDIT:

Wait, MK.

I think I remember Sonic Fox making a lot of money on that.

But yeah, it's not this widespread thing.
As long as SNK keeps supporting the scene like they are now, I can see KoFXIV sticking around for a while longer. Though concerning the NRS games, while they do get tons of casuals, they don't last that long within the FGC. I do think that Nintendo may try to push for ARMS as an esport (it & Smash 4 if that gets ported to the Switch), but it's a question of if the FGC will embrace the game with open ARMS.

Now that you mentioned that it made me think that maybe that's why Nintendo didn't unveil Smash for now, to let Arms shine. If a smash port was seen I don't think Arms would have such an impact.
It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Are we sure yu suzuki and AM2 are not working for Nintendo?

Because damn this looks straight up like an AM2 arcade game, and that is awesome!

DKL

As long as SNK keeps supporting the scene like they are now, I can see KoFXIV sticking around for a while longer. Though concerning the NRS games, while they do get tons of casuals, they don't last that long within the FGC.

My friend dropped the new MK because they went too HAM with the patches at some point lol

Doorman

At this point, I'm not even sure exactly how much ARMS needs to appeal to the currently-existing FGC, because they've been slowly cultivating enough of a catalog of diverse games that they're at the point they could reasonably just form their own "Nintournament Series" and draw interest from several directions. ARMS, Smash, Splatoon 2, possibly Pokken or even Mario Kart.
Just give me a new Joy Mech Fight and we're all set!

ARMS still contains enough of the usual fighting game tech to pull a few eyes from existing fighter's havens, but is also new and unique enough to potentially bring in an entirely different wave of players as well. I think a mix of the two would be most ideal for advancing it in the long run.

At this point, I'm not even sure exactly how much ARMS needs to appeal to the currently-existing FGC, because they've been slowly cultivating enough of a catalog of diverse games that they're at the point they could reasonably just form their own "Nintournament Series" and draw interest from several directions. ARMS, Smash, Splatoon 2, possibly Pokken or even Mario Kart.

ARMS still contains enough of the usual fighting game tech to pull a few eyes from existing fighter's havens, but is also new and unique enough to potentially bring in an entirely different wave of players as well. I think a mix of the two would be most ideal for advancing it in the long run.

I'm still waiting for Nintendo to finally host their own world tournament with a huge pot of money, Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon, Pokemon and ARMS events. It could be huge

Cerium

You could have a Nintendo fighting series with Melee HD, Smash 4 Switch, Pokken, and ARMS.

Throw in Pokemon and Splatoon 2 and you've got a major event.

jwillenn

Based on what we've seen, what do you all feel Arms may be missing in its gameplay to be taken "seriously" as a Fighting game?

KingBroly

Banned
I mean, they showed a singleplayer minigame-like thing in the direct and said it was one of many modes. Why would you start to worry about Single Player once they start showing single player content?

It looked like a mini-game. I'd rather it not have, let's say, 5 mini-games as all of the Single Player modes.

Arent fighting games usually known to not be Major sellers unless your MK or Smash? Hell I think Smash is almost close to be the best selling fighting game series and it only has 5 entires.

I think 2 million LTD could be considered a major success. Besides if it bombs (I don't see that it will). The super easy port of Mario Kart 8 would cover the cost. I like these weird Nintendo games, so I hope this is successful, might get more wacky stuff

It looked like a mini-game. I'd rather it not have, let's say, 5 mini-games as all of the Single Player modes.

Come on now. It's like looking at Break the Targets in Smash and assuming that's the only single player mode. Some of the posts and "concerns" surrounding this game are getting ridiculous. There's is no indication that it'll lack a single player mode, and we've literally been told it will have a number of them.

Arent fighting games usually known to not be Major sellers unless your MK or Smash? Hell I think Smash is almost close to be the best selling fighting game series and it only has 5 entires.

I think 2 million LTD could be considered a major success. Besides if it bombs (I don't see that it will). The super easy port of Mario Kart 8 would cover the cost. I like these weird Nintendo games, so I hope this is successful, might get more wacky stuff

2 million would place it above Street Fighter V.

mas8705

Honestly, it does feel like Nintendo does want to branch out into the other compeititve markets. Like what was said before: Considering the amount of different games that Nintendo has at the moment, you could easily have them hold their own fancy tourney if they really wanted to with Smash 4, Pokken and hopefully ARMS too when it launches.

If anything else, I hope that we do get to see a bit more "in-depth" content for ARMS outside of what we got from the Direct. We did see that there is going to be a wide range of fighters (the six that we already know, plus the four "hidden fighters" in the trailer to bring our roster up to 10) and how you can customize what set of arms you want for your fighter (and how it isn't just limited to the three sets of arms that we previously thought were going to be in the game).

Chances are that if this is all the information we're going to get for ARMS until it comes out, I think we'll be ok. That said though, it would be nice to get one more small tidbit of the game to show the world of ARMS, the fighters themselves, and the aforementioned single player content since it is obvious that there will be a bit more to enjoy than just the 1v1, 2v2, and target range.

Doorman

Based on what we've seen, what do you all feel Arms may be missing in its gameplay to be taken "seriously" as a Fighting game?
In terms of core gameplay mechanics, the only thing off the top of my head that I wouldn't be quite so sure about yet is the possible lacking of many "combos" that lots of people seem to take as being a huge deal. Since there's a lot of time element in each of your hands' attacks, there's only so many consecutive hits you can conceivably land. Even so we've seen stuff like juggle combos using the springs at the side of the fighting ring stage, or being able to reaction-cancel a hit into the super rush. Otherwise it has all the mobility, diversity, and mechanics to function just as any fighting game would. The only things really holding it back are the old tried and true stereotypes, "motion controls," "looks too wacky," "people taking Nintendo games seriously," and the like.

Come on now. It's like looking at Break the Targets in Smash and assuming that's the only single player mode. Some of the posts and "concerns" surrounding this game are getting ridiculous. There's is no indication that it'll lack a single player mode, and we've literally been told it will have a number of them.
At this point I'd be shocked if there wasn't an arcade mode, if not a slightly upped career mode given the talk about this being set in a "Grand Prix" format with all the characters vying for a particular tournament championship. Using that as part of the impetus to unlock more Arms and possibly do elemental-alterations later sets up decently. There's also the usual training and regular vs. COM modes, quite possibly more in store too. The devs said that they were considering a number of different things as of a few months ago, we don't really have any idea yet just what made the cut or not. The bulk of the game will likely still be put into the multiplayer, as is usually the case with multiplayer Nintendo games, but there's options to work with at least. I wouldn't be shocked to see a Smash-style "event battles" mode where you fight with certain conditions.

Honestly, it does feel like Nintendo does want to branch out into the other competitive markets. Like what was said before: Considering the amount of different games that Nintendo has at the moment, you could easily have them hold their own fancy tourney if they really wanted to with Smash 4, Pokken and hopefully ARMS too when it launches.

If anything else, I hope that we do get to see a bit more "in-depth" content for ARMS outside of what we got from the Direct. We did see that there is going to be a wide range of fighters (the six that we already know, plus the four "hidden fighters" in the trailer to bring our roster up to 10) and how you can customize what set of arms you want for your fighter (and how it isn't just limited to the three sets of arms that we previously thought were going to be in the game).

Chances are that if this is all the information we're going to get for ARMS until it comes out, I think we'll be ok. That said though, it would be nice to get one more small tidbit of the game to show the world of ARMS, the fighters themselves, and the aforementioned single player content since it is obvious that there will be a bit more to enjoy than just the 1v1, 2v2, and target range.
Oh they're definitely not done releasing information prior to launch. Now that they have the Japanese twitter active, I'm betting that, like Splatoon and the Squid Research Lab, we'll be getting periodic tidbits of all sorts, leading up to some sort of pre-E3 event that includes some more substantive information. We'll probably get some deeper looks into how exactly "get Arms" works, character background info and new Arm descriptions, and maybe some arena profiles and whatnot too. And of course, more art!

Effect

Let's not give people false hope with any Melee talk. That's never going to happen. Nintendo does not want to directly breathe new life into that game. Smash Wii U gets ported but that's it.

Neoxon

Let's not give people false hope with any Melee talk. That's never going to happen. Nintendo does not want to directly breathe new life into that game. Smash Wii U gets ported but that's it.
Eurogamer actually reported that Melee would be amongst the first 3 GameCube Virtual Console games on the Switch, so there's that.

I think people are wondering whether a game based almost entirely on keeping distance and moving side-to-side can be exciting to look at.

Aren't the majority of fighting games about controlling the distance between you and your foe, and moving side-to-side? I mean that sounds like Street Fighter to me.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
What's the hovering robot in the second gif of the OP?

Aren't the majority of fighting games about controlling the distance between you and your foe, and moving side-to-side? I mean that sounds like Street Fighter to me.

I think he's saying this game could use more up close attacks.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
donkey show speculates that it's an area of effect healing item. Read his post.

Ahh - didn't realize he was referring to that as it doesn't "look" like an item.

Edit: watched it again - yeah looks like the robot is delivering the item, and it also looks like it's healing everyone. I wonder if the robot can be called with other various items at the press of a button.

Snakeyes

You could have a Nintendo fighting series with Melee HD, Smash 4 Switch, Pokken, and ARMS.

Good call. If ARMS becomes a success and has a good amount of depth at a high levels of play, Nintendo would have as many tournament-friendly games as Blizzard does, and they host their own tournament every year.

watershed

Banned
I really hope Nintendo releases a demo for this game. I love the character designs and the general aesthetic. It's got the best graphics of any Switch game to date and just oozes style. But my feeling right now is that I won't enjoy the gameplay. A demo might change my mind on that but I can't see myself buying it without testing out the gameplay first.

At the same time, every time I see video of this game it makes me want a new Punch Out! I hope ARMS isn't meant to replace Punch Out! though I could see that happening because Nintendo might not want to touch those cultural stereotypes with a 10 foot pole in this day and age.

Effect

Eurogamer actually reported that Melee would be amongst the first 3 GameCube Virtual Console games on the Switch, so there's that.

Still don't believe it. Nintendo could release the entire catalog of Cube games they made and I think that one still wouldn't be released. Due to how many people see that game and act in regard to it it's an actual threat to the sales of Smash 4 and perhaps the next game when it comes to moving people one to the new entries. Why release something that is going to cause those issues and any issues with future esports pushes Nintendo plans to make? As much as it seems they're willing to let Melee live as far as the fighting community goes I don't doubt for a second if they had it their way there would be no Melee being played and the spotlight and conversation would be just on Smash 4 or a future Smash 5.

jdstorm

Banned
I really hope Nintendo releases a demo for this game. I love the character designs and the general aesthetic. It's got the best graphics of any Switch game to date and just oozes style. But my feeling right now is that I won't enjoy the gameplay. A demo might change my mind on that but I can't see myself buying it without testing out the gameplay first.

At the same time, every time I see video of this game it makes me want a new Punch Out! I hope ARMS isn't meant to replace Punch Out! though I could see that happening because Nintendo might not want to touch those cultural stereotypes with a 10 foot pole in this day and age.

There is always rentals and generous returns policies on used games should you want to try the game at a reduced cost.

Dont forget Mario Kart 8 and its new battle mode

Kinsei

Banned

The test fire was some genius marketing for Splatoon and Splatoon 2. Hopefully Nintendo realizes this and they have some sort of beta (warm up match?) for ARMS.

There should be some sort of arcade mode (the January Switch event demo allowed people to play against the CPU). That + some minigames would be enough for me. Of course, I'd love to see more.

So I discovered this in the Fan Art thread but it's probably better served in this thread where we can discuss it and be on-topic:

3181277-nintendoswitch-arms-bkgd-03.jpg

This is the biggest version of this image I can find. So on the wall on the left, we have what is possibly the "full" version of Mr DNA. The character select screen version has a digital visor to give him eyes, and what appears to be a metal nub on his head to cover what look to be loose strands of DNA poking out of his noggin.

Second thing to note, on the left a little further back is an open book with what looks to be some kind of Egyptian artwork, what looks like some kind of Anubis but with a coil body. Possibly hinting at an Egyptian-themed fighter? Maybe the dark-skinned woman? DLC?

Third, the character on the floor. Looks like Mr DNA again. I wonder if we're going to get some kind of Rosetta Stone for the written language in ARMS so we can translate all this text on the floor? I know we have Hyrulean for Zelda, did we ever get any translation for the text in Splatoon? I haven't played much of Splatoon so I don't even know if one would be needed, but there's obviously a tooooonnnnn of text to read here.

Fourth, tons of pages on the floor. One of them shows what appears to be Mr DNA with 3 arms. Could this be his special, or just an ARMS version of that Michelangelo drawing of the human body with multiple arms and legs?

Fifth, on the right side now, a framed picture of someone who's NECK is a spring? Easter Egg, or could we get a character that has body parts other than arms that extend?

Sixth, right side again, a book or page with what look like hieroglyphics of ancient ARMS fighters?

Seventh, behind the spring neck painting on the right, a giant map. Overworld?

DEEPEST LORE

I hope there's an unlockable art gallery so we can get better looks at this stuff.

Cerium

So I discovered this in the Fan Art thread but it's probably better served in this thread where we can discuss it and be on-topic:

This is the biggest version of this image I can find. So on the wall on the left, we have what is possibly the "full" version of Mr DNA. The character select screen version has a digital visor to give him eyes, and what appears to be a metal nub on his head to cover what look to be loose strands of DNA poking out of his noggin.

Second thing to note, on the left a little further back is an open book with what looks to be some kind of Egyptian artwork, what looks like some kind of Anubis but with a coil body. Possibly hinting at an Egyptian-themed fighter? Maybe the dark-skinned woman? DLC?

Third, the character on the floor. Looks like Mr DNA again. I wonder if we're going to get some kind of Rosetta Stone for the written language in ARMS so we can translate all this text on the floor? I know we have Hyrulean for Zelda, did we ever get any translation for the text in Splatoon? I haven't played much of Splatoon so I don't even know if one would be needed, but there's obviously a tooooonnnnn of text to read here.

Fourth, tons of pages on the floor. One of them shows what appears to be Mr DNA with 3 arms. Could this be his special, or just an ARMS version of that Michelangelo drawing of the human body with multiple arms and legs?

Fifth, on the right side now, another open book but with a picture of someone who's NECK is a spring? Easter Egg, or could we get a character that has body parts other than arms that extend?
Wow great analysis dude.

And if you look in the back you can see what looks like a broken test chamber or operating room. Like something broke out.

Fifth, on the right side now, a framed picture of someone who's NECK is a spring? Easter Egg, or could we get a character that has body parts other than arms that extend?

Sixth, right side again, a book or page with what look like hieroglyphics of ancient ARMS fighters?

Seventh, behind the spring neck painting on the right, a giant map. Overworld?

DEEPEST LORE

I hope there's an unlockable art gallery so we can get better looks at this stuff.

Whoa; so many details packed into one lil screenshot! Excellent analysis, friend! So, Mr. DNA almost certainly resembles the clones in the tubes then, eh? I do wonder if the three arms will come into play?

The spring Anubis is also interesting, perhaps the unrevealed lady will be Cleopatra-themed with an Anubis signature glove? It does seem that each character has a "signature" arm style, anyways.

I don't think we ever got a full translation of Inklish, now that you mention it...

I kinda think the spring-necked portrait is just a sight gag. But, that's just my gut feeling.

Interesting to see a map here, but I can't really make out any details.

Also interesting is the implication that ARMS fighters have been around for quite some time. The lore for this game should be fascinating!

Can't wait to see more details as launch day gets closer!

Wait a tick; look at the monitor on the right. There appears to be an illustration of Mr. DNA budding just below Mechanica's face. Could his special be to split into two copies of himself? That monitor also raises some questions. Who's keeping tabs on the fighters? Why these four specifically?

Something else I found interesting: there appear to be several schematics for gloves among the pages on the floor. I wonder if they'll be some of our unlockable options? I also noticed that the tubes appear to be covered in scratches and cracks, as if something were attempting to open them. Could Mr. DNA be attempting to rescue his "brothers"? This screen is fascinating; I keep seeing something new every time I look at it!

Top Bottom