• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Sells More Than 1.2 Million Units Worldwide Over First Weekend

Expectations are for a first week of around 400K in Japan, the UK sales would indicate something like 300-400K for Europe, which would make for something around 400-500K for NA?

hawk2025

Only 60,000 units below Polygon's truly awful "projections" in just one weekend!

Well, that was proven wrong extremely quick, that's for sure.

Holy damn, guess that answers rhe TF vs. Mk thread. I knew it'd sell great but that's jist amazing

Hopefully system sales also picked up a good amount. We know they did in the UK at least.

plank

ieWvNy6maDnBU.gif

Oh god what have you done!!!11! XD

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So I wonder how differently the Wii U would have been initially received if MK8 was a launch window- ish title instead of NSMB U/ Nintendoland. Just from a purely visual perspective, MK8 just looks like a greater step forward than previous Wii U titles.

Miles X

Ridiculous attach rate. Ugh GameFly shipping can be so slow. Soon...soon...

20% isn't actually all that ridiculous, games like Halo 3 have done upwards of 35% I believe, Gears of War did around 20% too, and Titanfall XB1

Still very impressive of course. Should see a meaty bump in HW in Japan and Americas!!!

Skilletor

I bought it.

Wii U's first party efforts have been amazing. I bought it for Bayo 2, but have been very happy with the 1st party software released in the interim. They're just game ass games. Wonderful.

Yaoibot

The most shocking part of this result is that Kuchera actually got something right. Must be a sign or the End Times, someone grab a bible and check.

jacobeid

Banned
Awesome sales, but I wonder how the tail-end will fare. I have to imagine that most Wii U owners are the hardcore gamer or Nintendo fan that would buy a game as big as Mario Kart on day 1.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Phenomenal game is phenomenal.

Awesome sales, but I wonder how the tail-end will fare. I have to imagine that most Wii U owners are the hardcore gamer or Nintendo fan that would buy a game as big as Mario Kart on day 1.
This is one of the most viral games that exist. The fact they added youtube/easily shareable footage and state of the art graphics won't hurt either.

Only 60,000 units below Polygon's truly awful "projections" in just one weekend!

Well, that was proven wrong extremely quick, that's for sure.

Considering what Double Dash pulled on the GC, I don't have the slightest clue why they thought it would be so low.

I sure as shit didn't think it would do this well so quickly, though, LOL.

ChrisD

Being third place has its perks; like getting a nice Mushroom boost!

...no? Yeah I'll see myself out.

I love my WiiU

cafemomo

I'm glad for these numbers

This game made me purchase a Wii U and I've been happy with the console. The first time I've enjoyed using a Nintendo home console since the GameCube

hawk2025

The most shocking part of this result is that Kuchera actually got something right. Must be a sign or the End Times, someone grab a bible and check.

1) The original article wasn't by him, though he did endorse it as "math".

2) Those numbers pertained to LIFETIME sales, which means that this weekend already proves it hilariously wrong.

Top Bottom