• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

KO Traveling Hobo
Member
(03-01-2017, 04:14 AM)
KO Traveling Hobo's Avatar
I just remembered posting this after trying the demo:

Originally Posted by KO Traveling Hobo

Quick yes/no question: does difficulty setting affect content/endings/etc in any way? If we don't know yet, does Platinum have a precedent for it?

Also, a few demo thoughts since I broke down and gave it a try:

-I'm a little disappointed that they reused Tara Platt. She did admirably as Zero, but I've always been iffy on her. I think Karen Strassman's Phi voice from Zero Escape would have been great.
-Similarly, I wish 9S had a cuter voice. He sounds too old. If they're going to reuse VAs, they should have used Spike Spencer! He even pilots a mech!
-This is my first Platinum game and the combat is fucking me up. I hate that counterattacks can leave you vulnerable, especially against bosses and groups of enemies. And it's hard to aim the robro while slicing dudes up.


pls no spoilerinos

Not only was I wrong about the identity of 2B's VA, but more importantly:

-The friendship between 2B and 9s feels rushed. They seemingly go from total strangers to tearful sacrifices way too quickly. It's not hard to rationalize it, but it still feels cheap.

My words and my deeds have been so thoroughly shamed that there is naught left but quivering ash. Bravo, Taro.
TissueBox
Member
(03-01-2017, 04:38 AM)
TissueBox's Avatar
My guess after playing the demo was they retained their memories when they met each other each time but the reality that they had to keep seeing each other die was something 2B couldn't handle but 9S tried to shrug off, or something like that (I mean it seemed cleartheir death in the demo was probably not final.) hence 2B's iciness. And they had to stay mission-focused and orders instructed to not comment on past events, etc.

But of course it was a much more miserable truth lol.

But yea there was always more to it for me, I was just waiting for Taro to drop the bomb. 1/3 of the reason I was playing the game was to find out...and damn did we. xD

I think it's telling that they needed such a cold and controlled personality for 2E's role but it makes it ever the sadder when you think about it. When 9S found the truth and lost 2B, he went mad -- but 2B went through that same thing multiple, multiple times and held that pain in. Because she was designed to. Smh, soldier to the end but for what end and all that.
KO Traveling Hobo
Member
(03-01-2017, 04:51 AM)
KO Traveling Hobo's Avatar

Originally Posted by TissueBox

My guess after playing the demo was they retained their memories when they met each other each time but the reality that they had to keep seeing each other die was something 2B couldn't handle but 9S tried to shrug off, or something like that (I mean it seemed cleartheir death in the demo was probably not final.) hence 2B's iciness. And they had to stay mission-focused and orders instructed to not comment on past events, etc.

But of course it was a much more miserable truth lol.

But yea there was always more to it for me, I was just waiting for Taro to drop the bomb. 1/3 of the reason I was playing the game was to find out...and damn did we. xD

I think it's telling that they needed such a cold and controlled personality for 2E's role but it makes it ever the sadder when you think about it. When 9S found the truth and lost 2B, he went mad -- but 2B went through that same thing multiple, multiple times and held that pain in. Because she was designed to. Smh, soldier to the end but for what end and all that.

That's a good point. I had been thinking about how 9S lost his shit after watching 2B die once while 2B stayed strong time after time, but she was probably built to be stoic, which just emphasizes how strong her feelings were that they still came out.
Inuhanyou
Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
(03-01-2017, 05:00 AM)
Inuhanyou's Avatar
:/ 2E the soldier....just thinking back the demo now and how she was so stand offish, it made me think she was just playing at being a robo...i knew the demo had some significance but not to this degree...

Yoko Taro is a genius
KO Traveling Hobo
Member
(03-01-2017, 05:01 AM)
KO Traveling Hobo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Inuhanyou

:/ 2E the soldier....just thinking back the demo now and how she was so stand offish, it made me think she was just playing at being a robo...i knew the demo had some significance but not to this degree...

Yoko Taro is a genius

"Emotions are prohibited."
TissueBox
Member
(03-01-2017, 05:30 AM)
TissueBox's Avatar
Yea it's such a heart stomp.

Her whole life was centered around killing the person she loves most over and over again. Yet she goes through with it, for the mission. >_<

Everything that is lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped...in a never-ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle...and wonder if we'll have the chance to kill him.

...in hindsight the fact that she's largely talking about her and 9S and wishes so much for a way out that she's willing to take out a god adds hella weight, because when you see the face she puts on in the field, and how it says nothing of the lonely girl inside who hated her own purpose... ;_;
Inuhanyou
Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
(03-01-2017, 05:40 AM)
Inuhanyou's Avatar
;_; the layers!
mollipen
(03-01-2017, 06:27 AM)
mollipen's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slater

2B is such a decoy protagonist, she's likable but A2 and especially 9S get all the narrative meat.

Yup, and it's one of the few pieces of the game I legitimately hate. 9S got way too much game time, in part at the expense of 2B (and absolutely at the expense of A2). He wasn't even an interesting character until late in the game, and I wanted to have fun hacking stuff up, not hacking hacking.

...

Question! In one of the C/D/E endings, there's mention that the lady at the resistance camp has something else she wants (?) and that maybe I should check it out. How do I do that exactly? I tried to chapter select to one of the last possible chances I could figure to get to the base, but nothing.

Also, man, now I know that Masamune is the swordsman I was trying to endlessly find in the forest, so I need to track him down. (Edit: MOTHER F'R, that's where he is? I never could figure out what that thing was that I was getting a prompt for) And I need to finally figure out how to get into those god-damned robot-guarded locked doors.
CorgiSmiles
Banned
(03-01-2017, 06:31 AM)

Originally Posted by mollipen

Yup, and it's one of the few pieces of the game I legitimately hate. 9S got way too much game time, in part at the expense of 2B (and absolutely at the expense of A2). He wasn't even an interesting character until late in the game, and I wanted to have fun hacking stuff up, not hacking hacking.

...

Question! In one of the C/D/E endings, there's mention that the lady at the resistance camp has something else she wants (?) and that maybe I should check it out. How do I do that exactly? I tried to chapter select to one of the last possible chances I could figure to get to the base, but nothing.

Also, man, now I know that Masamune is the swordsman I was trying to endlessly find in the forest, so I need to track him down. And I need to finally figure out how to get into those god-damned robot-guarded locked doors.

Masamune tells you actually. There's certain weapons, I believe the Oath ones that you need to have at lvl 4 to unlock those "shrines"
JayEH
Junior Member
(03-01-2017, 06:37 AM)
JayEH's Avatar
heh in the amnesia side quest they talk about the type e models and 2b stays quiet.
CorgiSmiles
Banned
(03-01-2017, 06:44 AM)

Originally Posted by JayEH

heh in the amnesia side quest they talk about the type e models and 2b stays quiet.

She says herself "that some things are best left unknown" hint hint D:
KO Traveling Hobo
Member
(03-01-2017, 06:56 AM)
KO Traveling Hobo's Avatar
Another random thought - is the white "ghost" that shows up a few times in route B actually Yonah, as opposed to the twin Terminals who appear in red and black?

Also, I wonder if the aliens will ever become more relevant outside of as a plot device.

I kind of hope that the reason they invaded is because of the half-wit inventor accidentally launching supplies at Mars instead of the moon. Such a gloriously inane way to kick everything off.
mollipen
(03-01-2017, 06:57 AM)
mollipen's Avatar

Originally Posted by CorgiSmiles

Masamune tells you actually. There's certain weapons, I believe the Oath ones that you need to have at lvl 4 to unlock those "shrines"

I'm assuming he's talking about Virtuous Contract, Cruel Oath, Virtuous Treaty, and Cruel Blood Oath. I've got all four, and still can't get into the door in the forest.
Inuhanyou
Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
(03-01-2017, 06:58 AM)
Inuhanyou's Avatar
The aliens are all dead i thought?

The entire thing was essentially a scam the androids made up to pit themselves against the remnants of the robots in order to give their own lives meaning, no humans, no aliens.

In general, all we need to know is that only androids and machines exist now(and emil)
Jiraiza
Member
(03-01-2017, 07:04 AM)
Jiraiza's Avatar

Originally Posted by KO Traveling Hobo

I just remembered posting this after trying the demo:



Not only was I wrong about the identity of 2B's VA, but more importantly:

My words and my deeds have been so thoroughly shamed that there is naught left but quivering ash. Bravo, Taro.

Was she always only killing 9S or did she also take part in killing other androids as well? Wasn't too clear on that. The little details leading up to the 2E reveal is pretty amazing.
KO Traveling Hobo
Member
(03-01-2017, 07:20 AM)
KO Traveling Hobo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Inuhanyou

The aliens are all dead i thought?

The entire thing was essentially a scam the androids made up to pit themselves against the remnants of the robots in order to give their own lives meaning, no humans, no aliens.

In general, all we need to know is that only androids and machines exist now(and emil)

On second thought, the interweaving time fuckery of the series put me in the default mindset that the future can affect the past, but it wouldn't really make sense in this case.

I still think it's odd that the aliens are such a nonsequitur. It seems like there ought to be more going on with them at some point in the universe's timeline.

Originally Posted by Jiraiza

Was she always only killing 9S or did she also take part in killing other androids as well? Wasn't too clear on that. The little details leading up to the 2E reveal is pretty amazing.

Well, at least one sidequest involves hunting down YoRHa deserters and killing them.
Caim
Member
(03-01-2017, 07:24 AM)
Caim's Avatar

Originally Posted by mollipen

I'm assuming he's talking about Virtuous Contract, Cruel Oath, Virtuous Treaty, and Cruel Blood Oath. I've got all four, and still can't get into the door in the forest.

That is a separate side quest called the "Treasure in the Forest Castle" a robot outside of the castle gates linking to the village should have it.

Requires you to open the previously locked chests that have machine parts to make the key.
Inuhanyou
Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
(03-01-2017, 07:36 AM)
Inuhanyou's Avatar

Originally Posted by KO Traveling Hobo

On second thought, the interweaving time fuckery of the series put me in the default mindset that the future can affect the past, but it wouldn't really make sense in this case.

I still think it's odd that the aliens are such a nonsequitur. It seems like there ought to be more going on with them at some point in the universe's timeline.

its funny cause it might have been as simple as yoko throwing in "also aliens!" into grimoire nier just to be funny, yet they actually came back and did something specific with it
KO Traveling Hobo
Member
(03-01-2017, 07:45 AM)
KO Traveling Hobo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Inuhanyou

its funny cause it might have been as simple as yoko throwing in "also aliens!" into grimoire nier just to be funny, yet they actually came back and did something specific with it

It's pretty great.
raven777
Member
(03-01-2017, 09:26 AM)
raven777's Avatar
so, few questions since I didn't really read into archive stuff and didn't play previous nier..

-why did humanity extinct exactly? They say something about gestalt plan gone wrong due to other popola and devola. I assume it has something to do with first Nier? Or is it something separate?

-why did A2 went rough and say command betrayed her? I glimpsed pearl harbor note but it didn't really mention what made her do what she has been doing until now.
CorgiSmiles
Banned
(03-01-2017, 09:38 AM)

Originally Posted by raven777

so, few questions since I didn't really read into archive stuff and didn't play previous nier..

-why did humanity extinct exactly? They say something about gestalt plan gone wrong due to other popola and devola. I assume it has something to do with first Nier? Or is it something separate?

-why did A2 went rough and say command betrayed her? I glimpsed pearl harbor note but it didn't really mention what made her do what she has been doing until now.

Basically yes, there was an incidentfrom the first Drakengard that affected the Nier world with a disease that led humanity to extinction. The project Gestalt that they oversaw was humanity's final plan to counter act it. But as mentioned, it failed, so humanity went extinct.

The Pearl Harbor incident and the truth behind YoRHa is why A2 is so rough. She and the rest of the prototype YoRHa were never meant to survive the incident. Not to mention, the entire squad during the incident was also decimated by the machines. So that left her with a massive grudge on top of being betrayed by command.
mollipen
(03-01-2017, 09:48 AM)
mollipen's Avatar

Originally Posted by Caim

That is a separate side quest called the "Treasure in the Forest Castle" a robot outside of the castle gates linking to the village should have it.

Requires you to open the previously locked chests that have machine parts to make the key.

To be clear, I'm talking about the door in the forest by the waterfall that a robot who suicides is guarding—like the ones in the flooded city, desert, and one other place I'm spacing on.
Caim
Member
(03-01-2017, 10:01 AM)
Caim's Avatar

Originally Posted by mollipen

To be clear, I'm talking about the door in the forest by the waterfall that a robot who suicides is guarding—like the ones in the flooded city, desert, and one other place I'm spacing on.

Oh the Apologetic Robot? I'm not sure how to open those elevator doors either and I've done all sidequests.

Maybe DLC or something to be opened through a patch.
Kain-Nosgoth
Member
(03-01-2017, 10:14 AM)
Kain-Nosgoth's Avatar
wish i understood why 2B kept killing 9S during the game, had to come here to hear an explanation! Wish i were smarter :P

Anyway, does anybody heard the dispossession remix yet? It's so good, and yet it's not on the jukebox! Somebody really need to rip it! EDIT : nevermind, it's Faltering Prayer - Starry Sky


Originally Posted by Caim

Oh the Apologetic Robot? I'm not sure how to open those elevator doors either and I've done all sidequests.

Maybe DLC or something to be opened through a patch.

you did all sidequest, including the one where yous earch old archive for pascal? I'm missing project gestalt 7 and 9, andy idea? I think it's the only thing i'm missing to finish this quest!

also i'm really going crazy! Fucking EMIL shop never Sells me the two weapons i'm missing! Don't know how many time i tried but this is stupid, it's just random luck!
Caim
Member
(03-01-2017, 10:40 AM)
Caim's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kain-Nosgoth

wish i understood why 2B kept killing 9S during the game, had to come here to hear an explanation! Wish i were smarter :P

Anyway, does anybody heard the dispossession remix yet? It's so good, and yet it's not on the jukebox! Somebody really need to rip it! EDIT : nevermind, it's Faltering Prayer - Starry Sky




you did all sidequest, including the one where yous earch old archive for pascal? I'm missing project gestalt 7 and 9, andy idea? I think it's the only thing i'm missing to finish this quest!

also i'm really going crazy! Fucking EMIL shop never Sells me the two weapons i'm missing! Don't know how many time i tried but this is stupid, it's just random luck!

I think 7 was in the cave where Emil lives via the hackable chest and 9 should be inside the tower.

Which weapons are you missing?
Kain-Nosgoth
Member
(03-01-2017, 10:42 AM)
Kain-Nosgoth's Avatar

Originally Posted by Caim

I think 7 was in the cave where Emil's home via the hackable chest and 9 should be inside the tower.

unfortunately not, and i think it's 11 in the tower, will try to go in it again!

dawn, wish the chip would show these chest too! It can also be something you find with the scanner, which is fucking tedious (found one or two archive like that in the desert)
Caim
Member
(03-01-2017, 10:47 AM)
Caim's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kain-Nosgoth

unfortunately not, and i think it's 11 in the tower, will try to go in it again!

dawn, wish the chip would show these chest too! It can also be something you find with the scanner, which is fucking tedious (found one or two archive like that in the desert)

Did you check the chest in the tower like right before you fight Yorha units?

As soon as 9S mentions it the chest is to your right which has report 9.

Go to Chapter Select and start up 9S Searches The Tower, it should put you right there.
Kain-Nosgoth
Member
(03-01-2017, 11:05 AM)
Kain-Nosgoth's Avatar

Originally Posted by Caim

Did you check the chest in the tower like right before you fight Yorha units?

As soon as 9S mentions it the chest is to your right which has report 9.

Go to Chapter Select and start up 9S Searches The Tower, it should put you right there.

will do that, thanks! Now for report 7, where are you, you sneaky bastard!

As for the weapons.... I don't even want to talk to you emil... you never give me what i want, you miserable child-car thingy!
raven777
Member
(03-01-2017, 06:18 PM)
raven777's Avatar

Originally Posted by CorgiSmiles

Basically yes, there was an incidentfrom the first Drakengard that affected the Nier world with a disease that led humanity to extinction. The project Gestalt that they oversaw was humanity's final plan to counter act it. But as mentioned, it failed, so humanity went extinct.

The Pearl Harbor incident and the truth behind YoRHa is why A2 is so rough. She and the rest of the prototype YoRHa were never meant to survive the incident. Not to mention, the entire squad during the incident was also decimated by the machines. So that left her with a massive grudge on top of being betrayed by command.

Oh ok. Thanks!


Also, what is the thing A2 does at the end of ending C, after letting 9S go? When she touches that light thing?
XANDER CAGE
(03-02-2017, 05:57 AM)
XANDER CAGE's Avatar
What an incredible game. I'll be spending a lot of time in this thread I think - I'm looking forward to the Western release so we can get more folks in here. There's a lot to unpack with this game.

So the rough timeline of the game is:

---

For Yorha/Androids:


-Project Gestalt fails and humanity is eventually wiped out (the events of Nier)
-Aliens invade earth and Emil helps the surviving androids defeat them. However, the victory is hard fought, and the machines the aliens used as soldiers are never completely wiped out.
-Project Yorha is started to give androids - whose sole purpose originally was to protect humanity - something to believe in. Data on humanity is stored on the moon and the flashy Yorha units are designed with a combination of android and machine parts.
-The first test of the Yorha units, meant to collect data for a second model, leaves one survivor - A2. A2 has a heightened tactical awareness and realizes she was sent to die, and goes rogue. Her analytical skills are the basis for the special operations E units.
-A scanner unit is designed to aid with data collection, but problems soon arise as it's discovered that he will always eventually discover the truth behind Yorha. An E-class assassin unit, disguised as a battle unit, is assigned to him to surreptitiously keep him in check. He is killed and reformatted/manipulated or guided into situations where he will lose the information regarding the purpose of Yorha (through brave sacrifice, "accidental" death, etc) without ever realizing he's being watched.
-On their data collection missions, 2B has had to kill 9S many times. She puts up an emotional wall between them, which explains her seemingly irrational behavior throughout the A/B routes. She has developed a love for 9S.
-2B and 9S investigate machine activity and discover Adam/Eve, who are a machine/android hybrid developed by the machines, similar to the Yorha units. They are "superior" to the Yorha, as they are connected to the vast machine network hivemind.
-Some machines have begun to leave the network and develop self-actualized consciousness. 2B and 9S get help from Pascal and his village of similarly "free" robots.
At the end of the A/B route, 2B allows this loop of 9S to continue. Sadly, this is the beginning of the end.
-9S discovers the truth about Yorha and humanity. Coupled with the distress caused by 2B's death, his mental state begins to deteriorate.
-A2 continues her machine destruction mission without Yorha, but after absorbing 2B's memories through her sword, begins to notice the same things 2B noticed during the game re: the machines exploring consciousness.
-9S begins a similar crusade to destroy all of the machines and also A2, fueled purely by rage.
-Their paths converge at The Tower, a data collection facility similar to The Bunker, created by the machines (or created specifically by Adam? I'm a little unclear on the relationship between Copied City and The Tower)
-From here I'm also a bit unclear on the details - is the entire cycle implied to repeat, or is this the first time these circumstances have forced the endgame choices/9S's eventual discovery the thing that always repeats?

on the Machine side:


-Without their alien masters, the machines continue with their programmed mission of destroying all of the androids.
-Some machines eventually disconnect from the network that controls them and gives them their original purpose. Many different groups split off, developing in different ways.

-A primitive tribal society in the desert.
-A colony obsessed with the human reproductive system, eventually responsible for the creation of Adam and Eve
-A village of philosophers/thinkers who explore the human concepts of economics, gender, and class under Pascal's guidance.
-A hedonistic group who take refuge in an abandoned amusement park and busy themselves with entertainment.
-A group in the forest who crown a king and organize themselves in a feudal state with a dynastic ruling class (with no actual way to continue the dynasty)
-A group who build a creation myth around the factory in which they were built and develop a Judeo-Christian style religion.

-It's noted in a codex entry that lots of these groups exist and always collapse "almost as if they were meant to" as nearly all of them draw from human practices that were eventually wiped out or simply fell out of practice, replaced by new practices. The religion is the most obvious example of this, but separated from the network, each group had to search to find their own meaning in the world, and turned to human archives for answers. As the Yorha commander states in a cutscene, "everyone needs a God to fight for." While the androids created a mythic humanity to rally around as their "God," the machine groups searched for new reasons to live.
-Adam and Eve, fascinated by human data, lure 2B and 9S to the alien mothership and attempt to get them to take them to the humans so they can evolve even further, ironically unaware that just like the aliens they rebelled against, humanity is long gone.
-Adam kidnaps 9S for leverage and is defeated by 2B.
-Eve, moved by the loss of his brother, goes haywire, and in turn drives the machines still on the network berserk.
-Eve is defeated, but the networked machines do not stop. With no one "at the helm" of the network, so to speak, machines begin to go haywire.
-The machines not on the network also start to malfunction, as previously hinted at by logs. The religion becomes a death cult. The tribe becomes a Mad Max-ass war party. The hedonists become mindless zombies. The pacifists have no means to defend themselves.
-The Tower recognizes that it's time to recycle all of these parts and begin anew, and begins sending the resource collection units out to keep all of the parts and data so they can begin again.
-Something I'm unclear on here is if The Tower is the collective consciousness of the network, or if it's a separate entity.

---

Obviously there are waaaaay more details to pick apart with this game, but I *think* that's an okay-ish rundown of the events of the game. There's a bunch missing simply because there's tons I'm sure I missed/I haven't read through all the logs yet. There's a lot more I wanna write about for this game.
KO Traveling Hobo
Member
(03-02-2017, 06:27 AM)
KO Traveling Hobo's Avatar

Originally Posted by XANDER CAGE

-From here I'm also a bit unclear on the details - is the entire cycle implied to repeat, or is this the first time these circumstances have forced the endgame choices/9S's eventual discovery the thing that always repeats?

I'd like to know this as well. Originally I thought the "Ark" was actually the Bunker, and that's how the cycle repeats, but the whole thing with Ending E is that the trio's memories are kept intact. It wouldn't make sense for A2 to suddenly go back to being a machine-hating psychopath.

Also, something to keep in mind is that 9S was not just fueled by rage, but also by the logic virus. That's part of the reason he goes so completely bonkers.

That line from the commander gets my lore senses all a tingle, since capital-g God exists in the setting. The fact that it was said by someone with Red Eyes - a trait of the angelic Watchers - makes me think that it could be insight into God's motivations.
XANDER CAGE
(03-02-2017, 06:30 AM)
XANDER CAGE's Avatar

Originally Posted by KO Traveling Hobo

I'd like to know this as well. Originally I thought the "Ark" was actually the Bunker, and that's how the cycle repeats, but the whole thing with Ending E is that the trio's memories are kept intact. It wouldn't make sense for A2 to suddenly go back to being a machine-hating psychopath.

Also, something to keep in mind is that 9S was not just fueled by rage, but also by the logic virus. That's part of the reason he goes so completely bonkers.

That line from the commander gets my lore senses all a tingle, since capital-g God exists in the setting. The fact that it was said by someone with Red Eyes - a trait of the angelic Watchers - makes me think that it could be insight into God's motivations.

Oh yeah, that was the other thing I missed in my outline there because I think I missed/am not entirely positive on the origins of the logic virus. Is the logic virus the intentional backdoor designed to destroy Yorha to start over, or is it separate? If 2B is an E-class unit, I figured she would know about the secret she was protecting, but she seems surprised by the virus, so... not sure.

Also your comment about God/Drakengard reminds me: Eve's full body tattoo that grows during his boss fight has the watcher cult symbol on it as well.
CorgiSmiles
Banned
(03-02-2017, 06:36 AM)

Originally Posted by XANDER CAGE

What an incredible game. I'll be spending a lot of time in this thread I think - I'm looking forward to the Western release so we can get more folks in here. There's a lot to unpack with this game.

So the rough timeline of the game is:

---

For Yorha/Androids:


-Something I'm unclear on here is if The Tower is the collective consciousness of the network, or if it's a separate entity.

-Their paths converge at The Tower, a data collection facility similar to The Bunker, created by the machines (or created specifically by Adam? I'm a little unclear on the relationship between Copied City and The Tower)

The Tower I believe is a separate entity. The "Terminal" red girls essentially. If you check out the YoRHa play. The Terminal has been in play as far back as the Pearl Harbor incident.
KO Traveling Hobo
Member
(03-02-2017, 06:37 AM)
KO Traveling Hobo's Avatar

Originally Posted by XANDER CAGE

Oh yeah, that was the other thing I missed in my outline there because I think I missed/am not entirely positive on the origins of the logic virus. Is the logic virus the intentional backdoor designed to destroy Yorha to start over, or is it separate? If 2B is an E-class unit, I figured she would know about the secret she was protecting, but she seems surprised by the virus, so... not sure.

Also your comment about God/Drakengard reminds me: Eve's full body tattoo that grows during his boss fight has the watcher cult symbol on it as well.

I think the virus is the backdoor. I'm not sure how else the machines would be able to destroy the Bunker from within.

I cannot wait for interviews with Yoko Taro and (hopefully!) a data book for this game.
DKF590
Member
(03-02-2017, 06:41 AM)
DKF590's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kain-Nosgoth

also i'm really going crazy! Fucking EMIL shop never Sells me the two weapons i'm missing! Don't know how many time i tried but this is stupid, it's just random luck!

The items he sells are based on where in the map you stop him. He sells the weapons when you stop him near the resistance camp. Ive had him randomly loop in a super small area though.

He didn't actually start branching out on the map for me until playthrough C, so I'm not sure what actually dictates the path he takes. It might be tied to side quests? No idea, but he will 100% sell the weapons every time by the resistance camp.

He sells a bunch of materials near the entrance to the desert and +3 chips when you are near the factory. He also sells +6 chips somewhere on the map but I forget where.
XANDER CAGE
(03-02-2017, 06:42 AM)
XANDER CAGE's Avatar

Originally Posted by KO Traveling Hobo

I think the virus is the backdoor. I'm not sure how else the machines would be able to destroy the Bunker from within.

I cannot wait for interviews with Yoko Taro and (hopefully!) a data book for this game.

I think the backdoor is definitely meant for something like the virus, but all the characters who I would expect to know about the backdoor behave surprised about the logic virus while it's happening, so I'm wondering maybe if it's different from what they expected or if it's just more brutal than they were prepared for.
jonjonaug
Member
(03-02-2017, 06:43 AM)
jonjonaug's Avatar

Originally Posted by XANDER CAGE

I think the backdoor is definitely meant for something like the virus, but all the characters who I would expect to know about the backdoor behave surprised about the logic virus while it's happening, so I'm wondering maybe if it's different from what they expected or if it's just more brutal than they were prepared for.

No one knew about the backdoor, not even the Commander. 9S was the only person to discover it, and he didn't even know what it was. The backdoor was an intentional vulnerability left open in YoRHa's network to allow the Machines to upload logic viruses, which they're always trying to do anyway. The point is to eliminate the entirety of YoRHa once they've served their purpose, so that the next generation of Androids could be kept battling the Machines forever because this time no one has to know that all the humans are dead.
CorgiSmiles
Banned
(03-02-2017, 06:46 AM)

Originally Posted by jonjonaug

No one knew about the backdoor, not even the Commander. 9S was the only person to discover it, and he didn't even know what it was.

I think the Commander was the only person that knew actually. If you look at the YoRHa documents. Only the commander and SSS ranked individuals were privy to what it really was and how it played out.
XANDER CAGE
(03-02-2017, 06:47 AM)
XANDER CAGE's Avatar

Originally Posted by jonjonaug

No one knew about the backdoor, not even the Commander. 9S was the only person to discover it, and he didn't even know what it was. The backdoor was an intentional vulnerability left open in YoRHa's network to allow the Machines to upload logic viruses, which they're always trying to do anyway. The point is to eliminate the entirety of YoRHa once they've served their purpose, so that the next generation of Androids could be kept battling the Machines forever because this time no one has to know that all the humans are dead.

Oh you're totally right. I was getting confused and conflating the truth 2B was assigned to keep from 9S - i.e humanity's fate - with the backdoor.
jonjonaug
Member
(03-02-2017, 06:47 AM)
jonjonaug's Avatar

Originally Posted by CorgiSmiles

I think the Commander was the only person that knew actually. If you look at the YoRHa documents. Only the commander and SSS ranked individuals were privy to what it really was and how it played out.

Re-read the very final Archives entry that 9S discovers near the end of the game. At the very top it says "no one in YoRHa is to know of this, including the Commander".
Inuhanyou
Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
(03-02-2017, 06:54 AM)
Inuhanyou's Avatar
Also remember that beepy was the one to give the original machine lifeforms 'sentience' to begin with, as without the events of the first game happening, he would never have been able to inspire other machines to develop similar consciousness and think outside of their programming.

Its also weird because A2 is supposed to be taken from memories from a girl who lived with her grandmother, and ending Y shows what happend when Emil first tried to take on the alien invasion himself through multiplication
XANDER CAGE
(03-02-2017, 06:54 AM)
XANDER CAGE's Avatar

Originally Posted by jonjonaug

Re-read the very final Archives entry that 9S discovers near the end of the game. At the very top it says "no one in YoRHa is to know of this, including the Commander".

You're totally right, although that then leads me to the questions:

-If the commander didn't know, who created/was pulling the strings at Yorha?
-If the Yorha cycle is intended to repeat, what keeps the non-Yorha androids on the surface from noticing?
CorgiSmiles
Banned
(03-02-2017, 06:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Inuhanyou

Also remember that beepy was the one to give the original machine lifeforms 'sentience' to begin with, as without the events of the first game happening, he would never have been able to inspire other machines to develop similar consciousness and think outside of their programming.

Its also weird because A2 is supposed to be taken from memories from a girl who lived with her grandmother, and ending Y shows what happend when Emil first tried to take on the alien invasion himself through multiplication

Ending Y or the fight at least also has Emil referring to A2/2B as Kainé in the end too.

Originally Posted by raven777

Oh ok. Thanks!


Also, what is the thing A2 does at the end of ending C, after letting 9S go? When she touches that light thing?

I don't think that's ever really explained besides Pod 042 hinting that it was something that would do harm to her.
jonjonaug
Member
(03-02-2017, 07:02 AM)
jonjonaug's Avatar

Originally Posted by XANDER CAGE

You're totally right, although that then leads me to the questions:

-If the commander didn't know, who created/was pulling the strings at Yorha?
-If the Yorha cycle is intended to repeat, what keeps the non-Yorha androids on the surface from noticing?

-Whatever AI/group of Androids controls the Moon server I guess. There are definitely Androids outside of YoRHa and the Resistance, someone had to create and set up YoRHa in the first place.
-The whole Androids vs Machines thing is a repeated cycle, but it's not like they're called "YoRHa" every time. The Resistance is made up of the remnants of YoRHa's predecessors, and considering this is the "14th Machine War" there have probably been generations that have passed before. It's only until recently when some Androids started getting suspicious about the status of humanity that YoRHa was made to be super flashy morale boosters with the "Council of Humanity" on the Moon. Presumably prior to that there were other, not as good cover stories.
XANDER CAGE
(03-02-2017, 07:04 AM)
XANDER CAGE's Avatar

Originally Posted by jonjonaug

-Whatever AI/group of Androids controls the Moon server I guess. There are definitely Androids outside of YoRHa and the Resistance, someone had to create and set up YoRHa in the first place.
-The whole Androids vs Machines thing is a repeated cycle, but it's not like they're called "YoRHa" every time. The Resistance is made up of the remnants of YoRHa's predecessors, and considering this is the "14th Machine War" there have probably been generations that have passed before. It's only until recently when some Androids started getting suspicious about the status of humanity that YoRHa was made to be super flashy morale boosters with the "Council of Humanity" on the Moon. Presumably prior to that there were other, not as good cover stories.

Okay yeah, that sounds like a plausible explanation to me. The cycle doesn't literally repeat; this is just the form the war effort took this generation.
Inuhanyou
Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
(03-02-2017, 07:04 AM)
Inuhanyou's Avatar

Originally Posted by CorgiSmiles

Ending Y or the fight at least also has Emil referring to A2/2B as Kainé in the end too.

its possible that he mistakes them due to his wanting to see kaine again, after all he had been protecting Kaine's house for thousands of years after all...i wonder what happens to Yonah in the end, did she live with her?
jonjonaug
Member
(03-02-2017, 07:10 AM)
jonjonaug's Avatar

Originally Posted by Inuhanyou

its possible that he mistakes them due to his wanting to see kaine again, after all he had been protecting Kaine's house for thousands of years after all...i wonder what happens to Yonah in the end, did she live with her?

Probably died of the Black Scrawl soon after the end of the game.
XANDER CAGE
(03-02-2017, 07:11 AM)
XANDER CAGE's Avatar

Originally Posted by Inuhanyou

its possible that he mistakes them due to his wanting to see kaine again, after all he had been protecting Kaine's house for thousands of years after all...i wonder what happens to Yonah in the end, did she live with her?

I think she just lived out the last of her days until the black scrawl took her, just like everyone else.
Inuhanyou
Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
(03-02-2017, 07:13 AM)
Inuhanyou's Avatar

Originally Posted by jonjonaug

Probably died of the Black Scrawl soon after the end of the game.

Well yeah that's obvious but i mean before that, did she have a happy time i wonder? Did kaine make her last days pain free?

In ending C its basically the same except Nier is the one taking care of her. I think children should be most protected
KO Traveling Hobo
Member
(03-02-2017, 07:21 AM)
KO Traveling Hobo's Avatar

Originally Posted by CorgiSmiles

Ending Y or the fight at least also has Emil referring to A2/2B as Kainé in the end too.

I wonder - does the number designation indicate the false memories that the YoRHa unit was installed with? So both A2 and 2B were based on Kaine?

That would certainly cast 2B's unflinching desire to protect a young white haired boy in a different light.

Thread Tools