• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

border

Yeah the whole situation from the set up to the execution I felt was really bizarre. And.. Setting off explosions for seemingly no reason? Felt like they asked "how can we make an intense moment with walkers?"

I get that they wanted to have a cool walker shootout sequence, but in doing that they only underscore how hard Rick has chosen to fuck over the women. If another herd of walkers shows up 2 hours after Rick leaves, the women will be completely fucked with almost no means of defense. It's made clear to us that Rick is taking every last gun he can get his hands on, too. So it's not like they're just leaving them with the 10-20 guns and the bare means to defend themselves -- he's leaving them with nothing. And none of this is ever questioned or undercut.

I was watching with a friend and I said, "Oh great, so they're no better than the Saviors, " who had similarly disarmed the Alexandria group. He got annoyed and pointed out that the Alexandrians didn't kill anyone, and that they would return the guns when finished with them. I can't help but feel like there should be some kind of moral retribution for Rick's actions here.

sinkfla87

Another decent episode. In fact, the way they structured this episode is how they should be doing it all the time: Have about 2 or 3 plot threads intertwining/trading off so the stories actually flow throughout the season and keep the audiences interested and entertained. There's just so much skipping around to where we might not even see Rick or (nameanycharacter) for 3 episodes, and then when they come back into the picture whatever emotional connection or interest we have in what was going on with them is lost. I'm excited for this finale. I'm very curious as to whether or not * is legit because I can see them pulling some funny stuff with that lol. (which would be a huge mistake)

How do I spoiler tag again?! I feel like a fucking amateur again haha. :(

SamuraiX-

Content Roundup – Episode 715: “Something They Need”

ML2C73Y.jpg

AMC Inside The Walking Dead:
  • The Making of Episode 715, “Something They Need” - AMC
  • Inside Episode 715: “Something They Need” - AMC
  • Preview of Episode 716, “The First Day of the Rest of Your Life” - AMC | International
  • Sneak Peek of Episode 716, “The First Day of the Rest of Your Life” - AMC | International
Producer & Cast Interviews:
Critic Reviews:
Talking Dead's Inside The Dead
  • Sasha is held in the same cell previously used for Daryl and Dwight. The Sanctuary calls it "Dips*** Training Center."
  • Norman Reedus said Oceanside had a completely different vibe than Alexandria. It reminded him of a beach in Costa Rica.
  • Katelyn Nacon was especially excited for the scene because it's the first time Enid's had her own gun. She joked, "It only has five rounds, so if I encounter more than five walkers I'm screwed."
PLEASE SPOILER TAG ALL PREVIEW/PROMO AND GRAPHIC NOVEL DISCUSSION. REVIEW THE OP FOR COMPLETE THREAD RULES ON SPOILERS.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Show is losing me. They need better writing. Tension is completely gone, plot armor is thick and the pace is plodding. Tone is all over the fucking place.

This show needs new direction, and maybe a showrunner shake-up.

I stopped watching a few episodes ago, but came in to check whether it has improved only to hear about Rick being a complete dickhead again and it possibly being boring in some way.

So nothing has changed then.

RPGamer92

Banned
Show is losing me. They need better writing. Tension is completely gone, plot armor is thick and the pace is plodding. Tone is all over the fucking place.

I don't think the problem resides in the crew but rather AMC.

BriGuy

I get that they wanted to have a cool walker shootout sequence, but in doing that they only underscore how hard Rick has chosen to fuck over the women. If another herd of walkers shows up 2 hours after Rick leaves, the women will be completely fucked with almost no means of defense. It's made clear to us that Rick is taking every last gun he can get his hands on, too. So it's not like they're just leaving them with the 10-20 guns and the bare means to defend themselves -- he's leaving them with nothing. And none of this is ever questioned or undercut.

I was watching with a friend and I said, "Oh great, so they're no better than the Saviors, " who had similarly disarmed the Alexandria group. He got annoyed and pointed out that the Alexandrians didn't kill anyone, and that they would return the guns when finished with them. I can't help but feel like there should be some kind of moral retribution for Rick's actions here.

The very last shot with what's her face giving the little girl the middle finger after she asks if they're really going to leave them with nothing came off as especially callous. Like, I'm sure they were going for something cute or tongue in cheek, but it's like no, you basically just signed her group's death warrant.

What the heck was Michonne doing up in that tree in terms of emoting? She looked like she was trying to squeeze out a turd or something!

A couple of real awkward shots of her up there, for me anyway.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This episode was a fumble for me. Not going to be one of those people that calls every episode without a major character death "filler" cause this most definitely moved the chess pieces around the board. But building up Sasha's suicide mission for so much of the last episode, only to have it be squashed off screen? That last scene where Sasha is talking to Eugene​ through the door felt phoned in, literally.

Glad that they finally let the other shoe drop in regards to Oceanside, at least.

This just felt slapped together in spots, which undermined the suspense. Like why was the Dwight reveal saved until the end like some big mystery? We know it wasn't Daryl, he was all over this episode. Just weird little stuff like that.

Flo_Evans

Does anyone in Ricks group know about Dwights terrible memory and he is likely to forget what side he is on ?

I have a feeling the master plan is somehow going to rely on him and of course be fucked up.

Oceanside is strange. Feels like Rick spent more time getting the garbage people on his side than them. Some people wanted to join and they are like no fuck you...

Eugene can fucking die already. Clearly he is actually helping Negan, why the hell would Sasha let him live on her extended suicide mission.

I still like Eugene. What's he doing that's so terrible really? He's probably going to die if he tries anything else. I guess the worst thing he's doing is trying a LITTLE too hard to help out around there like boosting their walker wall defense and whatnot.

Also Dwight being against Negan is not weird or surprising or dubious at all. First time we meet him he is trying to escape Negan, then later on we learn the only reason he's still there is to help his wifey or whatever. Now she's gone/dead. The guy has no motivation to stick around and even when she was around it seemed like he was having doubts every 10 seconds.

Of course the guy is still a dick, he went a bit too far trying to impress Negan's people and Negan i.e. killing Denise and not really giving a shit.

Tonky

I still like Eugene. What's he doing that's so terrible really? He's probably going to die if he tries anything else. I guess the worst thing he's doing is trying a LITTLE too hard to help out around there like boosting their walker wall defense and whatnot.
Maybe he's sprucing the Sanctuary up for after Rick & Co. beat Negan at Alexandria and need a new place to live?

How does someone like Negan leave loose ends like Sasha and Dwight around. So dumb. No reason at all not to kill them.
this is a guy that leads through fear. Of course there's a reason to keep Sasha. To just murder her at the Alexandria gates and make the crew feel like shit. As for Dwight, I think he still trusts him.

big_z

next episode is the series finale for me. I cant do it anymore, watching this feels like a waste of time.

SDCowboy

I hope they take a long hard look at this season, and don't repeat it. Next season needs to be a return to the show's roots in terms of tone and atmosphere.

Surfinn

I hope they take a long hard look at this season, and don't repeat it. Next season needs to be a return to the show's roots in terms of tone and atmosphere.

Yup. Go back to what works.. tone, simplicity and character development. But they never will. It's just gunna get more complex, if they're going by what happens in the comic.

Flo_Evans

Also Dwight being against Negan is not weird or surprising or dubious at all. First time we meet him he is trying to escape Negan, then later on we learn the only reason he's still there is to help his wifey or whatever. Now she's gone/dead. The guy has no motivation to stick around and even when she was around it seemed like he was having doubts every 10 seconds.

Of course the guy is still a dick, he went a bit too far trying to impress Negan's people and Negan i.e. killing Denise and not really giving a shit.

Eugene is not only helping Negan fortify his defenses he is still a pawn that can be used as leverage over Rick. Sasha really should have killed him then herself.

Dwight is like the dude from momento. His motivations are whatever the last person to talk to him says they are. Without his wife around he is literally rudderless, just let Daryl kill him!

Pluto

Yup. Go back to what works.. tone, simplicity and character development. But they never will. It's just gunna get more complex, if they're going by what happens in the comic.
Negan doesn't work, kill him off and finish the saviors arc in the season 8 premiere? After that they should toss all remaining comics in the writer's room into the trash and show Kirkman the door. They have to stop introducing 500 characters from the comics only to have them do nothing and they have to stop separating the main characters with too many of them only appearing every fourth episode talking to a stranger the audience doesn't care
They have to get rid of Rick too, he's a villain at this point, what a disgusting human being he has become.

Just feels like they're writing to tentpoles too much over the last 3-4 seasons. We probably should have started the (COMIC SPOILER):
All Out War
arc several episodes back if the showrunners were attempting to let the story unfold at its natural pace, but it was evidently preordained that it needed to wait until the finale, so we've had to endure meandering and loss of focus in the meantime.

Eugene's episode at Sanctuary was the only one in this span that was actually well crafted and meaningful. The rest of this time has been spent backing up over previously travelled territory and moving chess pieces around as slowly as possible.

I've got a feeling that the season finale will deliver, though. There is some really cool source material for them to adapt for the next 6-8 episodes. Here's hoping they don't botch it.

Elandyll

Banned
Yeah the whole situation from the set up to the execution I felt was really bizarre. And.. Setting off explosions for seemingly no reason? Felt like they asked "how can we make an intense moment with walkers?"
It was actually very clever (the explosions) in order to minimize needless bloodshed..

The explosions separated the fighters from the ones needing to take shelter (the 'civilians').
That's why they had a group ready to take down the ones running to the gun shack, and another one in charge of reassuring/ handling the fleeing ones.
As per the episode being morally grey as per Rick's group, that was the goal.

The two filler groups do feel so out of place and kinda cartoony. This is something that I would expect to be in the comic but cut out of the tv show.

SDCowboy

Negan doesn't work, kill him off and finish the saviors arc in the season 8 premiere? After that they should toss all remaining comics in the writer's room into the trash and show Kirkman the door. They have to stop introducing 500 characters from the comics only to have them do nothing and they have to stop separating the main characters with too many of them only appearing every fourth episode talking to a stranger the audience doesn't care
They have to get rid of Rick too, he's a villain at this point, what a disgusting human being he has become.

I agree they need to cut the character count way down, but Negan has been the only thing saving this season. And Rick is essentially the main character.

Touching back on the too many characters thing, though, there truly are too many currently. I can't stand the episodes bouncing all over the place, being dedicated to one or a couple of characters. I miss the old days when it was just the small group surviving together.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Time to part ways with the comics and 80% of the cast.

Time jump. 10+ years. Rick is Mad Max.

alright now that was a good episode.

that part with the ninja zombie attacking gregory...every time a ninja pops up out of nowhere without anyone hear it, this show loses points. every time.

the dialogue between enid and carl was kinda cringeworthy as well, still not a fan of the negan portrayal but overall I liked this episode.

someone earlier said that this show wouldn't work like Thrones with multiple communities, but this episode was an example of it working. it can work as long as you showcase several different things happening which this episode finally did, instead of focusing on one group or just one character.

i mean, if you are going to do that focus on the main group that will lead to the main points of the story being told.

i'm expecting a season 4 mid finale level epic battle next week.

Surfinn

It was actually very clever (the explosions) in order to minimize needless bloodshed..

The explosions separated the fighters from the ones needing to take shelter (the 'civilians').
That's why they had a group ready to take down the ones running to the gun shack, and another one in charge of reassuring/ handling the fleeing ones.
As per the episode being morally grey as per Rick's group, that was the goal.

It seemed pretty ridiculous that they were able to set off EXPLOSIONS, shoot at people, and have them not fire a single shot back. That would never happen IRL, I think. People would come out shooting and there would be injury, loss of life.

And the choice to send in Tara, alone, after she hardly escaped the first time (after they told her they'd kill her if she ever came back) was really dumb.

It makes no sense that not a single person was injured (with their intention of not hurting anyone despite literally blowing shit up and shooting at people).

alright now that was a good episode.

that part with the ninja zombie attacking gregory...every time a ninja pops up out of nowhere without anyone hear it, this show loses points. every time.

Lol this show will never not have zombies sneaking up on people in broad daylight in an open field. Never ceases to amaze me

Top Bottom