• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia - Season 12 |OT| Wednesdays on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjboi

Loved this episode. Dee was hilarious, her dancing had me dying! too bad philly.com spoiled the ending for me yesterday with a headline about Dennis' character/actor... it's really impossible to avoid spoilers any more.

Good season overall, my two favorite episodes were Hero or Hate Crime? And the water park ep

They should not have shown the very last scene in all the pre-season previews, the fuck? The car blowing up was awesome and would've had way more impact if I hadn't seen it so many times!

I'm ok with them continuing as a four-piece lineup. I just hope they don't fall into the show ruiny trap of promoting a supporting character or a new character to "Gang" status.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Am I a bad person if I want the pilot to bomb, because I would miss Dennis tremendously? :(

Haha, not at all. I was wondering earlier when I was first introduced to the show and managed to find an old forum post dated November 2007, so it has been a permanent fixture in my life since its third season. Time flies. Shows come and go, but it's always a little sad when that decision comes from the creators rather than the network. No doubt I'll feel my heart sink come the closing credits of the inevitable final episode.

abundant

But he can still do the show and be on Sunny.

We don't know how the shooting schedule for his new show will work out with the Sunny schedule, so it's looking like if his pilot is picked up, either...

a) Denis has a reduced role.

b) Denis is written off.

c) The breaks between seasons become longer (which is going to happen)

Would happily take two year gaps between seasons rather than lose Dennis. Bring the show back and finish it next season if you have to; just make sure Dennis is there.

ryseing

Glenn's interview with Sepinwall was very illuminating. He sounded a tad bitter they never got an Emmy nom, which would explain why he wanted to go to a network show where that would be easier to accomplish.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Show won't be the same without Dennis. This season was off oddly enough I will be okay with this being a finale for a few years.

big ander

Glenn's interview with Sepinwall was very illuminating. He sounded a tad bitter they never got an Emmy nom, which would explain why he wanted to go to a network show where that would be easier to accomplish.

I read into it the opposite actually, I thought his awards talk seemed totally honest: that of course it would have been an honor and felt great to get an award, but it would genuinely not compare to having passionate fans who thank him in person for making a singular show.

i doubt they'd do it without dennis. i feel like he/they will be back, but it really looks like things are wrapping up. too many loose ends are being tied up. charlie is finally with the waitress, mac finally came out, and the end of the valentines day episode was weirdly serious. my guess is that they do one more season in like 18-24 months, and probably shorter than 10 episodes.

J-Rzez

Its sad this seems to be reaching the end. Like mentioned, closing up loose ties, etc.

Losing Dennis is a massive blow. Imho the only gang member they can lose is frank. Danny is awesome, like his character, but even though he has been integral since joining season two he is the only sustainable loss. Losing one of the main four though would be crippling.

The same thing will happen when James May leaves the boys on The Grand Tour.

Damn... Two of my favorite shows don't have many years left at all. And there's nothing to replace TGT or Always Sunny.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I liked the episode.
The backtrack on Dennis Flanderization felt weird, but was a good thing (him screaming in every episode, was getting tired last season).

Frank's Decent Proposal scene was an instant classic, best moment of the episode.

The whole shows flanderization has been off the charts the past few years. I think it really started getting significantly more noticeable in season 8. They still have gems here and there and flashes of the old gang, but it's just so out of control and played out at this point.

The other thing that I've mentioned a bunch over the past few seasons is the overwhelming reliance on call backs and re-hashes. It was funny how they did it in the gang recycles their trash, for the most part I really enjoyed that episode. They were parodying the idea of shows running out of ideas and relying too much on fan service or routine. There are numerous examples of this, but one in particular that I really noticed was the callback they did of charlie agreeing with dennis/mac even though he's not listening or hearing them at all. The first time around that was hilarious... the second time they threw it in a random episode (can't remember which one right now), and it just didn't play or feel the same. I don't know how to explain it, but these past few seasons FEELS like a tv show or a sitcom, where they are aware of their characters and are trying to play it up so much. For instance frank talking about how he got the tape worm- he was just being vulgar and gross to try to be vulgar and gross. It's not like it offended me or grossed me out... it just wasn't funny.

I'm also glad mac is out now, because the "subtle" mac is gay jokes just got so overwhelmingly played out. It was funnier when they would slip in hints like him having the boner on stage, or him telling charlie rex was a quality lay. It continuously amplified... I couldn't help but just roll my eyes at the workout bike. It just wasn't funny, it was so ridiculously over the top. IDK I can't quite put exactly what it is perfectly, because the show has always been outrageous, but it feels lazier and tired these days. Maybe they just aren't into it anymore? Or maybe the fact that they don't write as much of the show as they used to and the writers are relying too much on what they know worked in the past... or maybe they're just past their prime.

I think my two favorite scenes in the season are the two that involved Charlie being interrogated by cops. The one with the black kid in the mirror, and the one where he is Brendan Dassey. Charlie has always been my favorite.

The whole shows flanderization has been off the charts the past few years. I think it really started getting significantly more noticeable in season 8. They still have gems here and there and flashes of the old gang, but it's just so out of control and played out at this point.

The other thing that I've mentioned a bunch over the past few seasons is the overwhelming reliance on call backs and re-hashes. It was funny how they did it in the gang recycles their trash, for the most part I really enjoyed that episode. They were parodying the idea of shows running out of ideas and relying too much on fan service or routine. There are numerous examples of this, but one in particular that I really noticed was the callback they did of charlie agreeing with dennis/mac even though he's not listening or hearing them at all. The first time around that was hilarious... the second time they threw it in a random episode (can't remember which one right now), and it just didn't play or feel the same. I don't know how to explain it, but these past few seasons FEELS like a tv show or a sitcom, where they are aware of their characters and are trying to play it up so much. For instance frank talking about how he got the tape worm- he was just being vulgar and gross to try to be vulgar and gross. It's not like it offended me or grossed me out... it just wasn't funny.

I'm also glad mac is out now, because the "subtle" mac is gay jokes just got so overwhelmingly played out. It was funnier when they would slip in hints like him having the boner on stage, or him telling charlie rex was a quality lay. It continuously amplified... I couldn't help but just roll my eyes at the workout bike. It just wasn't funny, it was so ridiculously over the top. IDK I can't quite put exactly what it is perfectly, because the show has always been outrageous, but it feels lazier and tired these days. Maybe they just aren't into it anymore? Or maybe the fact that they don't write as much of the show as they used to and the writers are relying too much on what they know worked in the past... or maybe they're just past their prime.

Youre right on the button

They went from being super funny to recycling gags and feeling like they are emulating their past jokes

Good example is frank falling out the window or telling dee she is emotional

Its been done before. The gimmicks this season were way too many and too over the top and strangely mushy with the valentines episode and finale

They just dont have the same setups or context for their jokes either. Thisvwas clearly obvious with Charlie saying the N word. It just wasn't funny at all and there was zero reason for it. One of the unfunniest lines this whole season

Macs gayness was also too much but though he's better now since he's come out its crazy how different he is from earlier seasons

I like his gay superiority stuff but its strange to see him completely drop the religious fear he has for it

This season was so far gone and its crazy how different it is from even last season.

Also theyve completely lost the fantastic camera style of the show this season where everything feels clean and super high quality. I have no idea why they did that

I like his gay superiority stuff but its strange to see him completely drop the religious fear he has for it

Not to derail, but I've seen something like this mentioned before in this thread, but I think you're missing the joke here. Macs religion exists primarily as a joke to counter all the contradictory things he does.

Or... you could say it was answered when Mac gave the derivativion of the word faggot. His conviction showed he's come to terms with everything and is ready to live as a proud gay man.

Skyzard

Banned
This season has been incredible, would be a real shame if Dennis leaves now. He's really nailing it atm and the show without Dennis... :(

Don't go...

HotHamBoy

I actually thought this season was kind of weak. A couple strong eps, some okay ones. Not particularly memorable.

Few shows have ever done well after key cast has left so ending the show on a high note might have been nice...

My favorite episode this season was the Cricket ep, that was pretty great.

Dennis leaving to be a dad makes no sense. He is a total sociopath.

The show has been reaching for ideas for years. I don't fault them for wanting to keep earning on it but it really isn't that great.

Season 9 was the last excellent season and that followed the particularly poor season 8. The last 3 seasons have really felt like beating a dead horse. Is it worth a few great episodes to lower the average quality of the show's run?

MarveI

Unless they specifically say Dennis won't be back it's safe to assume everyone will be back for S13 as they got renewed. They'll just find a way to work around it.

People are all over the map with season rankings it seems. 7 is the peak, 7 is one of the worst. 8 was great, 9 was a bounce back after terrible 8 etc. You're all crazy!

All the sane people know that 10 is one of the best seasons.

groansey

Totally agree.

For me season 7 was the peak, and whilst season 9 and 10 were respectable, 8, 11 & 12 have been weak. PTSDee was the only episode that felt like a classic. It was also more densely-packed, in terms of number of scenes and dialogue than a lot of the more modern episodes which have a slight running time, meander and don't really go anywhere (Old Lady house, Being Frank, Cricket ep). I think in season 12 they did try to do some new things, for example to address the Flanderizarion of Dennis, but mostly they seem tired and the show has been treading water for years.

I hate to say it becaus it was one of my favourite shows, but I'd rather they pull the plug than get another 2 seasons of diluted Sunny, possibly without Dennis.

Odoul

Binging through this season (Making Dennis a Murderer is a GOAT episode.)

Just got done with the Valentine ep.

WTF is up with this weird Charlie/Dee thing they drop every 2 seasons or so?

That episode where they tongued (banged?) each other might have been the weirdest thing of ALL the things this show has ever done.

Baleoce

Just found this on r/painting xD

alhj7w6h.jpg

Falchion

Binged through all of season 12 in the past 2 days and it was fantastic. The highlight of the season for me was Frank going down the slide and getting AIDS water in the pool and when Dennis introduced his family from North Dakota.

UrbanRats

While I'm glad for him I really wish the show didn't write Dennis out like that. Just felt like a weird left turn for a sociopath who was quite possibly a serial killer and all around disgusting human being.

I agree.
I don't mind playing with and subverting audiences' expectations, so i'm not saying the serial killer thing should've been the one true ending, but this felt kind of random and unearned.

I agree.
I don't mind playing with and subverting audiences' expectations, so i'm not saying the serial killer thing should've been the one true ending, but this felt kind of random and unearned.

I would imagine we would pan over to what Dennis was up to in the series finale and see him standing over a burned down house.

yeah, i'm not buying it. if it's true that they're all basically moving on, then they'll do some sort of last run. i don't even see any new information in that article, just that the show got picked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom