• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Silver (Saints Row/Metro/Dead Island): No Wii U games from us

Jawmuncher

While not specific to Deep Silver, i'm a bit annoyed how many devs go (For Any System)

It's a good system but it needs to sell more for us to support.

That always rubbed me the wrong way, supporting the system in any way shape or form is going to help you get to those numbers rather than hoping for someone else to do it. You don't need to blow the budget on every game you make for a system.

My time playing GameDevStory told me so.

Sentenza

Does that mean they're not developing for the PS4 or NeXtBox because they're not selling either.
That's what it means, yeah. He stated it quite openly and it's even quoted in the OP, which you apparently didn't read.

Q: Playstation 4 and the next Xbox are coming soon. What is your strategy for those two?

A: I would safely say that you'll see us there, but not on the first day. It's the same reason, the pioneer versus the settler...being there on the first day, that's for the big boys.

B.O.O.M

So about that wii U?

3941921+_d4fa7c4a41bb29904ce79e8d1e201100.jpg

Mithos

This is true but when u see CoD fail to sell on the console what are you supposed to think?

But it is not failing to sell, just not succeeding to sell as INSANE as the PS360/PC versions do, I think COD always sold slow even on Wii.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The problem isn't that the Wii U isn't selling, the problem is that it's tremendously likely that someone that owns a Wii U also will own a PS4 or Nextbox (just like those that owned a GameCube were tremendously likely to own either a PS2 or Xbox).

Why develop on a console that so few people have exclusively?

no... no, the problem is that the Wii U isn't selling

Don't care about this particular developer, but the lack of third party studios on board with this console is still very depressing. Wii U is looking more and more like Gamecube II in terms of support and sales.

Then again, if we also get Gamecube-like first party quality, I'll be okay with this.

Majmun

I see that they're also publishing Suda's Killer is Dead.

Maybe that's why there's no Wii U version of that game?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Confused.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/03/09/dead-island-developers-looking-to-develop-for-wii-u/

Unless they mean "No Wii U games from us right now"

Funny thing is other that all top selling third party games on Wii U were core games.

having 1MM units sold and 10,000 units of software units sold for your game is a funny thing... though not really in the way you mean.

I don't think the current Wii U owners have a right to bitch about games not coming if they refuse to buy any games anyway. or something. buy Wii U games. you'll get more. your call.

Squire

Banned
I see that they're also publishing Suda's Killer is Dead.

Maybe that's why there's no Wii U version of that game?

Nah, that's just a distribution deal, really. It's Kadokawa's game. They could've commissioned and funded a Wii U version if they wanted to.

I don't get why kids are an argument against getting games. I mean we used to be able to play anything under the sun as kids so why should the kids of today be deprived.

Also it's a shrewd strategy to get consumers hooked to your series while their young. Life long loyals.

Because aknowledging to pubescent gamers that they're playing the same stuff as 10 year olds makes them angry, because it undermines their desire to display maturity by playing games.

There's undoubtedly at least an element of self-fulfilling prophecy here, but the widespread perception that core games don't sell on Nintendo consoles is a market reality, and the onus to change it needs to be on Nintendo. Sigh.

It sucks for those that don't own a PS3, 360, or PC but were planning on getting these games, but I think they're in the minority. People who enjoy those games probably already own a system that can play them.

having 1MM units sold and 10,000 units of software units sold for your game is a funny thing... though not really in the way you mean.

I don't think the current Wii U owners have a right to bitch about games not coming if they refuse to buy any games anyway. or something. buy Wii U games. you'll get more. your call.

Your spoiler is a double edged sword though.

I can't see any reason to accept ME3 WiiU when a trilogy pack of all three titles released within the prior month on other platforms. Paying full price on top of that?

Yikes. Unless you just love ME so much that you have no choice I see no reason at all to even entertain the idea of buying it.

Even the trilogy at full price would have been better. A dual pack ME2&3? Better than the end release.

Spinluck

Didn't buy a Wii U to play any of the games they made.

But that doesn't matter, the bigger picture here is that the Wii U is getting less support. Which every console owner or gamer should never want, less support for your platform/s.

Petrae

Very honest play here. Why waste time and resources on a platform whose apparent demographic doesn't tend to support these kinds of games? Can't really hold anything against Deep Silver.

If I was Nintendo, I'd be concerned. For starters, continuing to shed third-party support puts more pressure on internal teams to carry the load and turn Wii U around from the flop that it is, currently. Further, if you want your platform to be a wide-reaching success, you can't like the stereotype that your platform is falling into. This is where competent management reaches out and has a conversation with Deep Silver to see if something can't be done.

Dead Island was a hit. Saints Row is going to be huge, and could have filled a void that no GTA leaves in the platform's library. LEGO City will be nearly six months old by the time Saints Row hits, and will no longer be relevant. Not having these games gives a fair number of consumers fewer reasons to buy a WiiU. Nintendo needs more reasons, not less.

BrettHD

Banned
I don't think Wii U is missing much then.

Yes, missing Saints Row, one of the universally acclaimed and loved open world games out
there isnt missing much.
Especially when we're talking about a game starved system like Wii U.
Get the fuck out of here with this shit.

Yes, missing Saints Row, one of the universally acclaimed and loved open world games out
there isnt missing much.
You are perhaps the most angriest Wii U owner. Cant blame you though lol

Petrae

I think that's part of it, sure. Nintendo's console (not handheld) sales have been unimpressive for quite some time now and there's zero momentum in that sector. When determining if bringing a game/games to a platform is worthwhile, it's worth considering install bases and sales trends... which have been pointing to X360 and PS3.

But the COO's comment about not reaching Nintendo audiences is also fair. The reasoning is that it's a device for children and for families, and that content like Dead Island and Saints Row wouldn't float. If Nintendo doesn't like the stereotype, that's where Iwata and company need to sit publishers down and try to convince them that it's not so narrow.

Log4Girlz

Well, that is half the problem. The other half is that it is a Nintendo platform with a very finicky and difficult to predict audience who usually does not have the same taste as the audience who purchases the competition.

No Saint's Row is a bummer, but I couldn't care less about Dead Island. I've never played a Metro game but I'm going to try 2033 and I doubt I'd get it on Wii U even if I could.

It sucks for those that don't own a PS3, 360, or PC but were planning on getting these games, but I think they're in the minority. People who enjoy those games probably already own a system that can play them.

I can't imagine that there are many people who both love these games and also only have a Wii U.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Saints Row...
...Dead Island...
...that's cool, I guess, I really have no intention to play any of those anyways.

That's good since they will be on PS4 and Durango. I hope you intent and not just supporting Nintendo because their SW support will be severely lacking in 3rd party support.

zainetor

Banned
there isnt missing much.

Yes, At least they're getting gtav, right? Oh wait...

Mileena

Banned
I can't imagine that there are many people who both love these games and also only have a Wii U.

There's exactly 0 people. Kinda sucks, cuz Dead Island and SR will be decent at least. I understand where they're coming from though; these games have no fucking chance to sell on Wii U.

You have to love how appropriate the luigi hat avatars are in threads like these. It's almost like you wanted to single yourselves out.

That's good since they will be on PS4 and Durango. I hope you intent and not just supporting Nintendo because their SW support will be severely lacking in 3rd party support.
Thats why you buy 2 systems. Wii U then something else. Im sorry but I understand these developers. I have a Wii U but a 360. I bought BO2, Sonic racing, and next week injustice on 360. Of course I have my reasons and the devs have theirs.

BrettHD

Banned
You are perhaps the most angriest Wii U owner. Cant blame you though lol

Not angry about the lack of games lol, I figured the game situation would be like this before I bought it.
Its just irritating when I see confirmation that a very well received game like Saints Row isnt coming to a game starved system and people start spouting "lolz Wii U isnt missing much then" and similar comments.

Tenki

I really don't care about Dead Island or Metro, but having Saints Row 4 on Wii U would have been nice. I guess I'll play it on my Xbox 360 then.

Darryl

Banned
You have to love how appropriate the luigi hat avatars are in threads like these. It's almost like you wanted to single yourselves out.

yea, if you want to say something positive about Wii U you really need to dress your opinion up in a Kaz avatar. it's viral marketing 101.

Not angry about the lack of games lol, I figured the game situation would be like this before I bought it.
Its just irritating when I see confirmation that a very well received game like Saints Row isnt coming to a game starved system and people start spouting "lolz Wii U isnt missing much then" and similar comments.
Some may generally not interested in the game which as a whole may be the feeling of other Wii U owners. Some might really want it like you but thats not enough for the developers to put it on Wii U.

Keslord

Banned
Metro I'll get on PS3, but Saints/Dead Island... No thank you. Wouldn't be buying that garbage on any of my platforms.

jaz013

Banned
People like to pigeonhole Nintendo. It has been a strategy used against them by rivals for generations (and by those who simply want to dismiss them).

The cry was "Nintendo is kiddy"...then when Nintendo attracted all age groups the cry had to be changed to "Nintendo are casual"...

....which was rather weird as the previous gen Madden,Fifa,COD and GTA were being called casual...while weird Japanese cooking games, scuba diving games and music games were the eiptomy of uber niche hardcore gaming.

So want was core became casual and what was casual became core. Odd transition.

The first examples are games you show off and don't require extensive knowledge to be "good", so you can show them to you buddies and show how a big "gamer" you are.

The later games? Those are the one you play to be challenged, or just because you like them. You have to put some effort, and you buddies will give you the same look the jogs gave to anyone talking about D&D back in high school.

On the other hand, the second quote.... would that make it to "first we see sale, then we release something"? Which means that, if, the Wii U, somehow, well, starts, selling, we'll see their games there.

mclem

I would like interviewers confronted with this sort of response to follow up with the crucial "When did you make that decision?". There's a big difference between a decision made before launch and a decision made in light of post-launch sales. It's reasonable to imagine that said decisions for the Wii were made before launch, but did they make the same decisions like clockwork for the U or did they adopt a wait-and-see policy?

BrettHD

Banned
Some may generally not interested in the game which as a whole may be the feeling of other Wii U owners. Some might really want it like you but thats not enough for the developers to put it on Wii U.

You are misunderstanding me. I was reacting to his comment about the game not coming to Wii U being no big loss. The game not coming to Wii U doesnt bother me at all in the sense that I would not be buying it.
However just because I might not be interested in it doesnt mean having the game on the system wouldnt benefit the system and the people who own it.

I would like interviewers confronted with this sort of response to follow up with the crucial "When did you make that decision?". There's a big difference between a decision made before launch and a decision made in light of post-launch sales. It's reasonable to imagine that said decisions for the Wii were made before launch, but did they make the same decisions like clockwork for the U or did they adopt a wait-and-see policy?

It's pretty clear from the article its a wait and see approach. They also say they won't have anything for other next gen systems any time soon too.

They're a b-tier publisher, so they need a large enough install base to sell copies on.

Top Bottom