• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Moondrop

Banned
So knowing what we do and what we don't, what do you guys think will change for Spl@2 Rank modes?
Congrats, that's the worst amalgam of "Splatoon 2" I've seen yet :p

Wanna know why it's not officially abbreviated? Because people can't agree on Spla2n (obviously correct), Spla2oon, Splat2n, and now Spl@2. If you're going @, you might as well make it Spl@2n. Which looks like profanity.

I think turf war and tower control will see changes to the zone shapes and tower paths respectively in old maps. They will be relatively unchanged except increased creativity of those designs. I could see rainmaker undergoing a bit more dramatic changes to encourage teamwork, though it could be as simple as nerfing rainmaker swim speed. And final off-the-wall prediction: a new ranked free-for-all combinaion of rainmaker and hide-and-go-seek in which you try to hold onto the ball while fighting off/hiding from/fleeing three other players.

RiggyRob

Wanna know why it's not officially abbreviated? Because people can't agree on Spla2n (obviously correct), Spla2oon, Splat2n, and now Spl@2. If you're going @, you might as well make it Spl@2n. Which looks like profanity.

I think turf war and tower control will see changes to the zone shapes and tower paths respectively in old maps. They will be relatively unchanged except increased creativity of those designs. I could see rainmaker undergoing a bit more dramatic changes to encourage teamwork, though it could be as simple as nerfing rainmaker swim speed. And final off-the-wall prediction: a new ranked free-for-all combinaion of rainmaker and hide-and-go-seek in which you try to hold onto the ball while fighting off/hiding from/fleeing three other players.

The reason it's not abbreviated is because all of the above don't sound any different and therefore don't make the distinction it's actually different from Splatoon 1 - it's another Wii-Wii U situation.

I reckon there'll be some new modes, plus zip lines will make Tower Control incredibly fast paced now.

ChrisD

What do you do when you're on a quote unquote twenty five game loss streak, and you know it's got to be on you (I mean, I have the worst luck on earth, but only seven of those have been on 3v4 and D/C situations, soooo) but you can't pinpoint the problems? :(

abd

We're not friends anymore. @P

What do you do when you're on a quote unquote twenty five game loss streak, and you know it's got to be on you (I mean, I have the worst luck on earth, but only seven of those have been on 3v4 and D/C situations, soooo) but you can't pinpoint the problems? :(

When that happens I change my name to Dead and "Quit" Splatoon.

Doorman

So it's possible that it was mentioned as an "oh neat" thing earlier and I just missed it, but watching the trailer again a detail occurred to me that I hadn't been paying attention to earlier, and I'm very curious to see how they choose to implement it in the game.

DayAndNight.png

So thanks to various clips of the new band stage...uh, stage, we know for sure now that battles can take place at various times of day, and not just the same daytime and splatfest-nighttime that the first game had. Thanks to coincidental timing of when I happened to grab these shots from the trailer, you even see how close the angle is with where the sun is placed, interesting. There's a few possible ways that a stage's time of day could possibly be determined:

1. The stage's time of day depends on the time you're playing
2. Could just be picked at random
3. Matches could start with the midday skybox and gradually transition into dusk during the final minute as an additional visual indicator of time running low.
4. Different times of day for different game modes. My current favorite theory is that inklings play turf war casuals during the daytime, and once the sun starts to set, teams gather up, get more serious, and that's when the ranking games go down.

Fun to speculate for now as we continue the inevitable drip-feed up to release!

ChrisD

We're not friends anymore. @P

When that happens I change my name to Dead and "Quit" Splatoon.

Alright, still annoyed that I can't pinpoint what the * I was doing wrong, but after posting that, I went full Rocky on things and everything clicked in my mind again. 16.5 Winstreak, only one loss out of my past eighteen games.

Really wish I knew what was dragging me down so much. Maybe I was relying on my team too much? I don't say that in a, "my team sucks," manner, either. I just know that in some other online games I do that sometimes. I'm a pretty passive player all things considered, and sometimes I fall into the trap of waiting on my team to make the aggressive plays even when it would be best for me to do so.

But shoot man. 25 losses can't just be that. I dunno'. Annoying.

So it's possible that it was mentioned as an "oh neat" thing earlier and I just missed it, but watching the trailer again a detail occurred to me that I hadn't been paying attention to earlier, and I'm very curious to see how they choose to implement it in the game.

So thanks to various clips of the new band stage...uh, stage, we know for sure now that battles can take place at various times of day, and not just the same daytime and splatfest-nighttime that the first game had. Thanks to coincidental timing of when I happened to grab these shots from the trailer, you even see how close the angle is with where the sun is placed, interesting. There's a few possible ways that a stage's time of day could possibly be determined:

1. The stage's time of day depends on the time you're playing
2. Could just be picked at random
3. Matches could start with the midday skybox and gradually transition into dusk during the final minute as an additional visual indicator of time running low.
4. Different times of day for different game modes. My current favorite theory is that inklings play turf war casuals during the daytime, and once the sun starts to set, teams gather up, get more serious, and that's when the ranking games go down.

Fun to speculate for now as we continue the inevitable drip-feed up to release!

Nice find! Wouldn't have caught it myself!

I really hope that stages can be played at different times of the day. Starting in the day and ending at night sounds interesting, but I think I'd prefer to just play a game entirely through with one light. I'd probably be thrown off if it changed over a course haha.

ChrisD

I concur, until the inevitable people come in actually thinking it a 1.5.

I don't know why that bothers me as much as it does. It's just a game. But all these, "Just a port," folk are bugging me. Nobody on GAF understands what a sequel is, evidently.

Splatoon 2 |OT| Squidlectric Boogaloo

The music stage time difference is a neat find. I dunno if it'll revolve around the time in your location since most of the time we're paired with Japanese players and those are totally different time zones. Maybe it'll randomly pick one or the other. It'd be really nice if they had more in rotation at one time too, and players all get to pick one like on Mario Kart.

ChrisD

Gosh, sneaking around on the uh... Fan... Stage. It's name escapes me at this moment, but yeah, sneaking around the back path by inking the fan platform and sneaking up when the enemy lifts it, to then go through the grates and unload a whole Mini Splatling salvo on the two Snipers in the nest is just cathartic.

RiggyRob

Gosh, sneaking around on the uh... Fan... Stage. It's name escapes me at this moment, but yeah, sneaking around the back path by inking the fan platform and sneaking up when the enemy lifts it, to then go through the grates and unload a whole Mini Splatling salvo on the two Snipers in the nest is just cathartic.

AnchoV is the name I think - it took me a while to realise you can actually shoot the fans to raise the platforms, I thought you had to jump from a different platform over to the other side every single time!

Jintor

got in a good hour-long session for the first time in like half a year. dropped from A+ 98 to like A+ 32, clawed back to A+50, still bad at the game. Level 50 japanese players everywhere.

I still don't like splatzones very much.

RiggyRob

got in a good hour-long session for the first time in like half a year. dropped from A+ 98 to like A+ 32, clawed back to A+50, still bad at the game. Level 50 japanese players everywhere.

I still don't like splatzones very much.

Getting back into Splatoon myself, I've found I actually like the simplicity of Splatzones for the time being. It's a lot harder to learn all the new maps and weapons when you're having to worry about Tower Control and Rainmaker too!

ChrisD

For anyone not on the Discord, would you guys like me to let you guys know whenever we have a turf going?

I have Discord, but don't check it nearly as much as I do my Subscribed Threads on GAF, lol.

Ayyyyyyyyyy
3Z9ahsz.png

lol
That's great.

The 10th circle of hell is dedicated to people who use the 96 deco like a fucking coward

It's so nice that 96D is nowhere near as popular as it used to be, though. No more Walls from every corner, every game!

The 10th circle of hell is dedicated to people who use the 96 deco like a fucking coward
But what if I like vanilla .96 better for it's superior ink coverage?

I have Discord, but don't check it nearly as much as I do my Subscribed Threads on GAF, lol.

Yeah, I'll try to let you guys know when rooms are up. A safe bet is to check starting around 12 pacific though. Most of the East Coast players are on at that time.
ChrisD said:
lol
That's great.

It's so nice that 96D is nowhere near as popular as it used to be, though. No more Walls from every corner, every game!
I still like vanilla .96. =P

Regiruler

lol
That's great.

They're the most annoying spawn campers ever.

I had to deal with one on flounder heights that camped on the left walkway.

Jintor

I'm at a splatoon LAN event in Sydney. Really hope the splat2 team take time to work out their setup better, the lengths to which these guys have gone to make this viable is kinda insane

Doorman

Weapon models in Splatoon 2, they look like early builds IMO, worse than what we have in Splatoon.

I've felt the same way since the first showing on the Switch trailer, it was part of why I was skeptical about just what the video clip was meant to represent. They seem to be going with darker colors for the weapons in general, which is throwing the look off from the originals, but from what I can remember the lighting on them also seems to look really flat for some reason. I hope that all the weapons don't follow this same look because it does seem really unusual compared to S1.

In case anyone wants to play, there's a Turf War room that was recently opened. Just let me know if you need to add anyone.

I'll probably edit this post during the day.

ChrisD

On weapons: I didn't even notice, but now that it's pointed out... Yeah. Hopefully they pop more in the final game and they don't go with a more muted look.

In case anyone wants to play, there's a Turf War room that was recently opened. Just let me know if you need to add anyone.

I'll probably edit this post during the day.

Thanks for the heads-up! Hopefully I didn't steal a spot someone else had. :p

Toadsili T

Neo Member

96 Deco eventually got so many nerfs that people moved onto other weapons; mainly, the Splattershot Pro or the Custom Range Blaster. I would argue the latter is just as obnoxious as the 96D of old; very frequently used, a reliable OHKO spacing weapon, light loss kraken, and splat bomb for good measure. I have particular beef with Special Saver/Quick Respawn on it as well...

I'm at a splatoon LAN event in Sydney. Really hope the splat2 team take time to work out their setup better, the lengths to which these guys have gone to make this viable is kinda insane

Didn't realise you were in Australia; I had always presumed otherwise. That would have been the Oceanink Offensive guys; they work hard to keep the Splatoon LAN scene going. Many of them are actually from Adelaide. ;) I'll pass on your praises to them. :3

ChrisD

96 Deco eventually got so many nerfs that people moved onto other weapons; mainly, the Splattershot Pro or the Custom Range Blaster. I would argue the latter is just as obnoxious as the 96D of old; very frequently used, a reliable OHKO spacing weapon, light loss kraken, and splat bomb for good measure. I have particular beef with Special Saver/Quick Respawn on it as well...

Didn't realise you were in Australia; I had always presumed otherwise. That would have been the Oceanink Offensive guys; they work hard to keep the Splatoon LAN scene going. Many of them are actually from Adelaide. ;) I'll pass on your praises to them. :3

Oh, I hate the Custom Range Blaster a load, but I just don't want to start griping about it like I did the 96D, lol! Always wonder what on earth the deal is with its low Special Depletion...

Didn't know Splattershot Pro was common, though.

eRonin

Yo it was great to meet you yesterday. Thanks for coming, we put in a lot of effort to make the event as smooth as possible, but huge thanks to the venue Nerd Cave for being so accommodating for us.

This is what the venue looked like for anyone interested

Jintor

lmao i'm actually in that pic

anyway i just spent an hour getting knocked down out of A+ into A rank. But I also discovered I like being an annoying shithead with the brushes, and I'm terrible with buckets. So all in all an okay day's work.

Wiseblade

Running LAN events for Splatoon 2 should be way easier than it is now. I'm not 100% familiar with the logistics, but I'm assuming it's similar to Pokkén on a larger scale. Switches being an inherently portable console means the issue of custom gear loadouts largely disappears.

phanphare

Banned
Yo it was great to meet you yesterday. Thanks for coming, we put in a lot of effort to make the event as smooth as possible, but huge thanks to the venue Nerd Cave for being so accommodating for us.

This is what the venue looked like for anyone interested

nice, that graffiti on the wall makes it a great venue for splatoon

Top Bottom