• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

zeeaykay

Viticulture is lighter but also probably easier to get to the table. The theme really shines, and it's one of me and my partner's favorite games. If you like wine at all it's just fun to play whole drinking a glass or two.

SumGamer

Want to grab a good worker placement game as I don't own one and like the look of a few. With Feast of Odin just out of my price range, I'm looking at either Caverna or Viticulture with the Tuscany expansion. Anyone played these and can give me an idea of which one to go for?

I like Caverna quite a bit but I never play other games in the list before so I can't really vouch for it.

That said, I like some other worker placement games that's not in your list. So if you aren't interested in them, feel free to ignore them.
- Vinhos (Or any Vital Lacerda's games)
- Raiders of the North Sea
- Orleans
- Lords of Water Deep
- Stone Age

This is based on my personal enjoyment of the games so they will varies with other people.

Daedardus

Maybe wait and see if Clans of Caledonia is any good? Seems to be made as a spiritual succesor to these kind of games (Caverna, Agricola) and it looks very interesting to say at least.

I like Caverna quite a bit but I never play other games in the list before so I can't really vouch for it.

That said, I like some other worker placement games that's not in your list. So if you aren't interested in them, feel free to ignore them.
- Orleans
- Lords of Water Deep
- Stone Age

This is based on my personal enjoyment of the games so they will varies with other people.

I can vouch for these three. They have different levels of complexity, but they're all good worker placement games

I say you go right off a cliff and get Trickerion

That's just mean. You could have just as easily told him to go right off a cliff ...

Maybe wait and see if Clans of Caledonia is any good? Seems to be made as a spiritual succesor to these kind of games (Caverna, Agricola) and it looks very interesting to say at least.

I'm excited for this game. It'll arrive mid-October for me

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
That's just mean. You could have just as easily told him to go right off a cliff ...

Haha I love Trickerion, but it is extra complicated. Just make the leap you won't regret it!

edit: Oh and Dinosaur Island is coming out soon, designed by one of GAFs own I believe.

I say you go right off a cliff and get Trickerion
I completely agree. If you are going to learn and be bore to tear with Carverna, Agricola or even more unforgiving (and even more boring) Le Havre might as well go all in with Trickerion at least it got nice looking board and cool theme.

Blizzard

Banned
I'd say go all the way and save up a little extra for Feast For Odin, and let the added solo play time give you additional value. :p

I've never played Trickerion though.

Neverfade

I completely agree. If you are going to learn and be bore to tear with Carverna, Agricola or even more unforgiving (and even more boring) Le Havre mightas well go all in with Trickerion at least it got nice looking board and cool theme.

I knew Wednesday was garbage day but 2:48 am is a strange time for the trash man to bring his trash through here. 👌🏽

I knew Wednesday was garbage day but 2:48 am is a strange time for the trash man to bring his trash through here. 👌🏽
I hope you know I am just yanking your chain, I actually don't mind Agricola or Caverna, but Le Havre I really don't care to play again.

Speaking of trash, I know you guys don't care for Greater than Games Sentinel but their Spirit Island is probably one of the better coop/solo game I played this year especially after excellent game like Gloomhaven. I actually don't mind the art in Sentinel and I actually like that home-made style comic book drawing that take me back to the junior high school years but the game is just too fiddly for what you get out of it. The artwork in Spirit is better and the game is easy to set up and play which is a plus for solo play.

Lyng

From what I can gather Agricola has card drafting and is not as freeform as Caverna. Agricola seems to be the more hardcore gamers choice. I just don't know. Le Havre also looks good also. I'm not sure if the whole lack of player interaction with these games and the whole end scoring stuff is going to be my thing.

Inis has caught my eye now......

Too many games!

Buy Le Havre

EYEL1NER

I finally got to play Sheriff of Nottingham last night. I came in third in a four player game, scores were two players tied at 194, me at 189, and another player at 170-something. It was fun but I realized at the very end that I wasn't passing much contraband through at all, only three items. I was trying harder to bluff the sheriffs into inspecting my bag and paying me than sneaking through high-value items, which wasn't the best strategy.

We also played Kingdomino and Frag: Gold Edition. Both went over with the other players decently I guess. Two Kingdomino players didn't realize that you couldn't rearrange your pieces midway through and didn't get the completion or center castle bonuses and had to discard tiles (I guess I didn't explain that tiles were permanently locked into place once they were played but I didn't think I needed to). It seemed like everyone liked the idea of Frag more than how it actually played out but people started coming up with house rules immediately for things that could be added and it seemed like the other players thought it could be a lot more fun with customization.

Neverfade

I finally got to play Sheriff of Nottingham last night. I came in third in a four player game, scores were two players tied at 194, me at 189, and another player at 170-something. It was fun but I realized at the very end that I wasn't passing much contraband through at all, only three items. I was trying harder to bluff the sheriffs into inspecting my bag and paying me than sneaking through high-value items, which wasn't the best strategy.

A popular variant, which I highly recommend playing with is making players with no smuggled contraband ineligible for victory. Pushes that game the extra inch over the top.

Is Pathfinder Adventures any good? I know the board game is a little lacking but wondering if its any better in digital form. Kind of want a good dungeon crawlish digital board game. Though looking at screenshots, the user interface looks kind of poor.

Thanks for all the input guys. I did look into Trickerion having never heard of it previously and thought it looked good. Love the theme.
I just couldn't resist Inis though so I'm going to have to wait nearer Christmas to jump on board the worker placement express.
At least by then I should know if Dinosaur Island is any good....

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I beat Robinson Crusoe's intro mission!

On the 7th playthrough lol

EYEL1NER

A popular variant, which I highly recommend playing with is making players with no smuggled contraband ineligible for victory. Pushes that game the extra inch over the top.
I'll have to keep it in mind. Are games where people go through the whole thing passing no contraband common? I mean, I knew I needed to pass some but just didn't get much through.

A bit bummed right now. I checked Facebook upon waking up and it showed me my 'memories' from this date one year ago. Apparently I posted a picture of my then-newly-arrived Kickstarter copies of Mythos Tales, Codex Deluxe Edition, and Secret Hitler. I have yet to play any of them. Mythos Tales was purchased because I figured it would be a good one to play after my wife and I played through Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, but we haven't even played that yet. Codex is only two-player and calls for a specific type of gamer to be interested and want to try it, so I'm actually not that surprised that I couldn't get it to the table. I've seen posts on r/boardgaming and BGG where people are talking about the HUNDREDS of games they have played of Secret Hitler though and I haven't been able to play it once. After just leaving it in the garage for several months after being frustrated that no one would try it, I took it with me on Tuesday to game night where we had six people. No one was interested.

I don't really mind the money that has been sunk into all of my unplayed games. It's more of thinking back to the feeling of excitement of when I found out about a game and then decided to order and received it and thought 'This is gonna be a good one, I can't wait to introduce it to someone,' and then never playing it.

Experien

I'll have to keep it in mind. Are games where people go through the whole thing passing no contraband common? I mean, I knew I needed to pass some but just didn't get much through.

A bit bummed right now. I checked Facebook upon waking up and it showed me my 'memories' from this date one year ago. Apparently I posted a picture of my then-newly-arrived Kickstarter copies of Mythos Tales, Codex Deluxe Edition, and Secret Hitler. I have yet to play any of them. Mythos Tales was purchased because I figured it would be a good one to play after my wife and I played through Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, but we haven't even played that yet. Codex is only two-player and calls for a specific type of gamer to be interested and want to try it, so I'm actually not that surprised that I couldn't get it to the table. I've seen posts on r/boardgaming and BGG where people are talking about the HUNDREDS of games they have played of Secret Hitler though and I haven't been able to play it once. After just leaving it in the garage for several months after being frustrated that no one would try it, I took it with me on Tuesday to game night where we had six people. No one was interested.

I don't really mind the money that has been sunk into all of my unplayed games. It's more of thinking back to the feeling of excitement of when I found out about a game and then decided to order and received it and thought 'This is gonna be a good one, I can't wait to introduce it to someone,' and then never playing it.

Just got to set time to play them and stick to it. I am doing that with 7th Continent this weekend.

Thanks for all the input guys. I did look into Trickerion having never heard of it previously and thought it looked good. Love the theme.
I just couldn't resist Inis though so I'm going to have to wait nearer Christmas to jump on board the worker placement express.
At least by then I should know if Dinosaur Island is any good....

You made a good choice with Inis. It's REALLY good. I've played it with friends who aren't even really into board games. I think the really nice art and production help sell it to them.

Neverfade

Before we started playing with the variant there were a significant amount of no contraband wins in our group.

EYEL1NER

Before we started playing with the variant there were a significant amount of no contraband wins in our group.
I wouldn't have thought that would be a strategy that would win often, but I guess if you aren't passing a lot of contraband then you are maybe going after the king bonuses with your legit goods? I'll keep it in mind.

EDIT: Looks like the expansion just released. I'll need to pick that up soon I guess.

Anyone play Dragonfire? I keep seeing stuff about it but no playthroughs or discussions, just showcases and that's it.

I'm also really interested in this. I think it would be a perfect fit for my group, but I kind of want to see someone else's views on the game besides the creators.

Speaking of my group, we had our second in a row successful game night. Ended up playing a decent amount of games- first time for all of us playing Pandemic (it's the Legacy version, but since we had never played it at all before the instruction manual suggested we play regular Pandemic once or twice before going forward with the Legacy rules), it was a big hit. We lost, but just barely. Really interesting how pretty much out of no where it just ramped up and there were outbreaks left and right. We wanted to play another round, but the 5th member of our group showed up and we had to put Pandemic away. We then played DC Deckbuilding game with the new Birds of Prey expansion. It had an interesting mechanic where you can make your cards turn in 90 degree angles, and when they turn right side up again you get some kind of cool effect. It went a little long, though (I feel that game always goes longer than you think it will). We ended the night with Hanabi, two rounds actually. First time we scored 16, second 17. Really cool game that I think everyone liked, but you gotta be paying attention for sure.

I came home to see that Birdie Fight and the new Arkham Horror: Card Game expansion were waiting for me. I feel like I'm maybe cracking out a bit too hard on card/board games right now, but man they just all seem so cool. There's still so many games I want to buy, and I still have Scythe, Cthulhu Wars, Blood Bowl Team Manager and Not Alone unplayed. And now Birdie Fight. Plus we have to truly start Pandemic Legacy. I've been playing Race to the Galaxy with a friend all this week, but we didn't end up playing it as a group tonight, so there's still that as well. And yet here I am thinking about how well Dragonfire is gonna go over with everyone, and if I need to round out my collection with something like Carcassone or Castles of Burgundy.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Not yet played Dragonfire, but have played Shadowrun Crossfire a lot since getting it and they are just about the same game. Dragonfire is an updated version of the game in a different setting, basically. Anyway, after many more games, Crossfire (or Aeon's End) is my #1 deckbuilder. It is funny because I got that game and Aeon's End very close to each other and they made me get rid of all my other deckbuilders. They are just so much better than everything else I had. If you have questions I will answer what I can.

What are some good games for people without friends? As in, games that are 1p or have good/fun 1p variants?

I only have the resident evil deck building game, and I enjoy playing the mercenaries mode in that. It's basically like the real game's mercenaries mode (which I'm a huge fan of).

I really love cards, but I'm open to whatever. A nice theme is preferred. It doesn't have to be strong, just there to justify some nice art. Not too big on abstract stuff, but throw them my way if you think it can be an exception.

In truth, I haven't played the resident evil dbg in a while because of the set-up time (it's not too long, but thinking about doing it puts me off sometimes). But I can get over it if the game is fun.

octopiggy

I remember seeing a game where you put coloured pieces in to the top of a tower and some get stuck in there until later in the game and others fall through to the bottom.

Any ideas?

joelseph

What are some good games for people without friends? As in, games that are 1p or have good/fun 1p variants?

I only have the resident evil deck building game, and I enjoy playing the mercenaries mode in that. It's basically like the real game's mercenaries mode (which I'm a huge fan of).

I really love cards, but I'm open to whatever. A nice theme is preferred. It doesn't have to be strong, just there to justify some nice art. Not too big on abstract stuff, but throw them my way if you think it can be an exception.

In truth, I haven't played the resident evil dbg in a while because of the set-up time (it's not too long, but thinking about doing it puts me off sometimes). But I can get over it if the game is fun.

1. Terraforming Mars
2. Lord of the Rings LCG
3. Arkham Horror LCG
4. Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game
5. Hostage Negotiator
6. Coffee Roasters
7. Pandemic
8. The Captain is Dead
9. Shadowrun Crossfire
10. Onirim

Plenty of other great solo games. My list is card game heavy so I thought I should tag it. BGG curates a top 100 solo games each year. Search up the list. =)

Plenty of other great solo games. My list is card game heavy so I thought I should tag it. BGG curates a top 100 solo games each year. Search up the list. =)
Hey, thanks for the list! Hostage negotiator, coffee roasters, and the captain is dead look really interesting, though I didn't see a video for a solo variant for the captain is dead (just watched a review).

I think hostage negotiator is the most interesting of the bunch.

I'll definitely check out the BGG list, but I'd love to hear from GAF what other solo games you all like.

Blizzard

Banned

Gloomaven is a big one you could do with a 2 person party controlling both players, but it's hard to find right now since the second printing is in progress.

Race for the Galaxy has a solo mode and I think a computer/app version. It's pure card gaming.

Scythe has lovely art and a solo deck. You can print your own or possibly order a second to play against 2 enemies at once.

One of my personal favorites is Feast for Odin, and I've made 15+ solo scenarios that are on BGG which customize the normal solo mode (that is already good).

Llyranor

Has anyone played Ace of Aces? Seems like a WW1 dogfighting game from the 80's where you use picturebooks to maneuver in a simultaneous turn fashion. Which sounds absolutely awesome.

One Deck Dungeon
This looks intriguing! 2p coop roguelike is my jam.

Looks like you can preorder the original + expansion off kickstarter for 20$ apiece! That's a way better price than how the original is being sold elsewhere, it seems.

Hey, thanks for the list! Hostage negotiator, coffee roasters, and the captain is dead look really interesting, though I didn't see a video for a solo variant for the captain is dead (just watched a review).

I think hostage negotiator is the most interesting of the bunch.

I'll definitely check out the BGG list, but I'd love to hear from GAF what other solo games you all like.

I've been super hardcore into Lord of the Rings LCG since a few months ago. I picked it up out of my old love of TCGs but with no one to play them with.

With LotR LCG I can get my card game/deck building fix and not have to worry if I don't have anyone to play.

Lately when I come home and end my day I can just chill out with a nice solo play of the game.

Gloomaven is a big one you could do with a 2 person party controlling both players, but it's hard to find right now since the second printing is in progress.

Race for the Galaxy has a solo mode and I think a computer/app version. It's pure card gaming.

Scythe has lovely art and a solo deck. You can print your own or possibly order a second to play against 2 enemies at once.

One of my personal favorites is Feast for Odin, and I've made 15+ solo scenarios that are on BGG which customize the normal solo mode (that is already good).
Interesting recommendations! Feast for Odin is so expensive on Amazon, though, dang.

I tried to watch scythe being played but I couldn't get into hearing the rules (BGG's Game Night) and lost interest, but I'll try later.

Race for the Galaxy sounds perfect, too.

I've been super hardcore into Lord of the Rings LCG since a few months ago. I picked it up out of my old love of TCGs but with no one to play them with.

With LotR LCG I can get my card game/deck building fix and not have to worry if I don't have anyone to play.

Lately when I come home and end my day I can just chill out with a nice solo play of the game.
I've considered this, too, actually, but LCGs scare me.

Have you played the Arkham one? Just curious how you'd compare the two. Arkham interests me more thematically, but LotR isn't story-based, is it? That might be better.

Also, I give up looking at BGG on mobile, haha. Can someone link me to the top 100 solo games? All I can find are user lists (I will check those out, too, but I want an aggregate list, if it exists).

I'm very excited about the reprint of Antiquity. It's been a long time since it's been in print and it seems they've fixed a few things (including the oversized box). I guess it should be hitting retail in something like a month (around Essen), this leaves me enough time to find people willing to spend 3h playing a heavy game!

I'm also quite eager to try The Climbers, which looks so neat. Great idea, 3D gameplay (I love it) and beautiful components. Probably another winner from Capstone.

I've considered this, too, actually, but LCGs scare me.

Have you played the Arkham one? Just curious how you'd compare the two. Arkham interests me more thematically, but LotR isn't story-based, is it? That might be better.

Also, I give up looking at BGG on mobile, haha. Can someone link me to the top 100 solo games? All I can find are user lists (I will check those out, too, but I want an aggregate list, if it exists).

Arkham Horror, I have yet to play, but is really good storywise. LotR LCG has story as well, in fact, it's important to the gameplay. In it you play quests that play out a story (with a narrative, etc) that effect the gameplay itself. Usually each gameplay adds enough of a wrinkle to the gameplay to make every part of the game feel unique.

I would say LoTR LCG has more replayability than Arkham though, as I understand most of the fun of Arkham comes from playing each scenario for the first time. You get that with LoTR LCG as well, but you have more reason to go back and replay.

Additionally, LotR LCG has a campaign mode with permanent effects on decks which I love, in some ways similar to gaining XP in Arkham.

I'd say it comes down to if you like card mechanics/deck customization (LotR) more or narrative (Arkham). They're both good, just understand what you are getting into.

On that note, I still need to grab Arkham, since my wife, who dislikes most long games, is interested in it (her thesis from a few years ago was on elements of cosmic horror).

Top Bottom