• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Peltz

Cross posting this from last night:

LTTP: Kirby's Dream Course has some of the BEST multiplayer I've EVER experienced.

And the thread just died (;_;) but felt you fine folks would appreciate it. If you have Kirby's Dream Course and a friend, it is potentially the best way to kill a few hours. I haven't had a multiplayer experience as fun as this in quite some time.

P.S. I think I'm done creating LTTP threads on less popular retro games. General GAF doesn't care.

Danchi

yeah i can see that for ARMS but again wish it was a pack-in somehow, ah well
and damn i guess i was like the only one who didn't mind the Udon sprites?

Having played Arms at the Tokyo event, it's far too polished to be a pack-in game. I think people have a case with 1, 2, Switch, but Arms looks like it's had a lot of effort put into it.

Bamboo

LTTP: Kirby's Dream Course has some of the BEST multiplayer I've EVER experienced.

And the thread just died (;_;) but felt you fine folks would appreciate it. If you have Kirby's Dream Course and a friend, it is potentially the best way to kill a few hours. I haven't had a multiplayer experience as fun as this in quite some time.

P.S. I think I'm done creating LTTP threads on less popular retro games. General GAF doesn't care.
I love that game so much. My problem was just that I played it years after its release. And the person who tried out the multiplayer with me didn't have the experience I got from playing the singleplayer. Launching Kirby is intuitive, but when it comes to the powerups, it's a big advantage to know which one does what and how to control it best. We still had fun though. It'd make for a great mobile MP game.

entremet

Switch presentation news dumps makes it hard now.

But yes, retro gaming stuff is overshadowed because the thirst for new news.

Peltz

I was totally surprised to see this pop up on the CBC while browsing the news at work this morning:

Preserving Video Game History is About More than Nostalgia

Great article on people trying to preserve Video Games and the work done behind the scenes to create them. Has some quotes from Frank Cifaldi in there, so the author obviously did their research.

Thanks for sharing. This image of the first NES advertisement is my favorite part of the article:

Cz6Od_8WEAAcDXb.jpg

Thanks David. I dont get new stuff so often anymore, but this deal was too good to pass on :) Most of it is probably going to be sold on though.
oh man! if you post it on GAF sales i'll definitely take a look =)

so retroGAF,
i haven't brought a retro game in 2 weeks bc of the switch and yakuza 0 coming out but picked this up getting dinner yesterday. it was so pristine the manual had a plastic wrap protecting it. will also post in shooterGAF after:

oh man! if you post it on GAF sales i'll definitely take a look =)

so retroGAF,
i haven't brought a retro game in 2 weeks bc of the switch and yakuza 0 coming out but picked this up getting dinner yesterday. it was so pristine the manual had a plastic wrap protecting it. will also post in shooterGAF after:

I don't know if I could go two weeks :)
send help

JDH

Nice pickup davidwhangchoi!

So guys, It was cheaper for me to get an entire PSone system w/ controllers, AC and AV cable than purchasing two controllers separately (what kind of world do we live in?!)

The thing is, I have a PSone already, and the one I just bought is frickin' mint (just like mine) I don't want to necessarily get rid of it, but I also don't have a need for two lol.

Any idea's on what I should do with my new [second] PSone?

Nice pickup davidwhangchoi!

So guys, It was cheaper for me to get an entire PSone system w/ controllers, AC and AV cable than purchasing two controllers separately (what kind of world do we live in?!)

The thing is, I have a PSone already, and the one I just bought is frickin' mint (just like mine) I don't want to necessarily get rid of it, but I also don't have a need for two lol.

Any idea's on what I should do with my new [second] PSone?
smash it on youtube and maximize that CPM

Leonsito

I got a Saturn for christmas with Sega Rally, I know the usual suspects for recommended games, but I would like to know more personal recomendations from you guys.

I plan to buy Daytona USA tomorrow, and I've been looking eBay for a few more games that are not insanely expensive, are they worth it?:

Fighting Vipers (It's cheap)
Tunnel B1
Virtua Racing VR
Destruction Derby
Enemy Zero

What about this PC ports?:

Quake (this port is pretty amazing iirc)
Duke Nukem 3D
Warcraft 2
Command & Conquer
Simcity 2000
Alone in the Dark 2 - Jack is Back (one of my favorite series ever)

And this games, are they good versions?:

Tomb Raider
Resident Evil

KC-Slater

What about this PC ports?:

Quake (this port is pretty amazing iirc)
Duke Nukem 3D
Warcraft 2
Command & Conquer
Simcity 2000
Alone in the Dark 2 - Jack is Back (one of my favorite series ever)

Warcraft 2 is surprisingly good on the Saturn. It even includes the levels from the expansion. Sadly it does not support the mouse (or analog stick iirc) but the d-pad works fine.

VVV Mars VG

Been getting back into retro gaming myself a bit recently and making videos that share my thoughts of the games as they were at the time. Its been nice going back and rediscovering those old passions and so I've decided to knuckle down and put one out every Monday. Initially my focus will be on retro racing games, but got a good look back at Demo 1 coming up.

Destruction Derby https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN2Cbf0TOVY
Wipeout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewY-stMFAO4

Glowsquid

Tunnel B1

It's terrible. Dull FPS with horrible controls and The Worst Camera Ever

If you really need a weird-ass vehicle FPS, Machine Head is similiar but much better in every way. I wouldn't recommend playing it on Saturn because of how the controls are set up, though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Very nice condition. I really need to replace my 2-chip SNES with a 1-chip one. I've just been too lazy to do so.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Nice! I need to get a 1-chip Super Famicom eventually as well eventually, but all in due time I guess.

Anyways, got another decent deal yesterday, $30 for a PS3 with two controllers and a few games. Its crazy how those last-gen consoles have collapsed in price:

Now I can finally replace my harddrive-less Superslim!

Anth0ny

Nice! I need to get a 1-chip Super Famicom eventually as well eventually, but all in due time I guess.

Anyways, got another decent deal yesterday, $30 for a PS3 with two controllers and a few games. Its crazy how those last-gen consoles have collapsed in price:

Now I can finally replace my harddrive-less Superslim!

now is the time to build up on a last gen collection for cheap

it's always like this from gen to gen. halfway through wii/ps3/360 you had ps2/gc/xbox stuff going for pennies as well, and now even that gen is starting to creep up, especially GC stuff I've noticed.

Morfeo

now is the time to build up on a last gen collection for cheap

it's always like this from gen to gen. halfway through wii/ps3/360 you had ps2/gc/xbox stuff going for pennies as well, and now even that gen is starting to creep up, especially GC stuff I've noticed.

Yeah I agree. Thing is, I think i already own almost everything i would ever want for these three consoles. But there is no doubt that this is the time to stock up on PS360. Wii is actually already on the rise, at least here in Norway.

Yeah I agree. Thing is, I think i already own almost everything i would ever want for these three consoles. But there is no doubt that this is the time to stock up on PS360. Wii is actually already on the rise, at least here in Norway.

Same way I feel. that, or they have much better versions on PC like Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen (dat 60fps).

Anth0ny

yeah I'm pretty much good for ps3/360/wii and wii u. that was the era that I got disposable income for the first time and could actually buy games instead of wait for my birthday/christmas

there is so much retro stuff to play at this point that they could stop making new games and I think i'd be fine

Morfeo

Yeah I think I would be good with only retro-stuff too. Such a gigantic backlog at this point. Still looking forward to Zelda though.

BearChair

Sega Saturn aficionados:

My local Goodwill has a Saturn with AV and power cables and a single game. No controllers.

It's cheap enough that I'm still tempted, though. Especially when I see so many cool available Japanese games for it.

How much of an investment am I looking at for at least a controller and the best RAM cart (please tell which one that is).

Later on, I'd definitely want an arcade stick, too.

IrishNinja

River City Ransom/Streets of Rage type fans, be sure to check out Yakuza 0!
as a classic Sega fan, there's a lot to love - even before you get into the arcades filled with Yu Suzuki goodness. spreading the love!

Sega Saturn aficionados:

My local Goodwill has a Saturn with AV and power cables and a single game. No controllers.

It's cheap enough that I'm still tempted, though. Especially when I see so many cool available Japanese games for it.

How much of an investment am I looking at for at least a controller and the best RAM cart (please tell which one that is).

A quick glance at ebay says that the Japanese model 2 controller is around $20-30. The Action Replay 4M plus is about 30-40. Not too bad. The NiGHTS 3D controller is also about 30-40. The arcade stick is pretty cheap too. I'd pick it up
but I pick up almost every cheap Saturn I see

as a classic Sega fan, there's a lot to love - even before you get into the arcades filled with Yu Suzuki goodness. spreading the love!

Already on it.

dubc35

I'm down if the PS3 version is any good. I haven't played a Yakuza game before.

Edit, is the only PS3 version the 2015 Japanese release?

I'm down if the PS3 version is any good. I haven't played a Yakuza game before.

Edit, is the only PS3 version the 2015 Japanese release?

The most recent Yakuza title available in the West on PS3 is Yakuza 5, and it's PSN only.

A bit of a departure withe the Haruka chapter, but still a solid entry.

Hoping someday they will release Ishin and Kenzan here.

dubc35

That's a bummer. What's the best PS3 game for someone who has never played one? I'm not too concerned about where it falls in the story as I know I will not be playing/beating the entire series.

I need to review your "what is yakuza" thread again, IrishNinja.

The most recent Yakuza title available in the West on PS3 is Yakuza 5, and it's PSN only.

Isshin is a pretty good game. I had a lot of fun in old Kyoto. The sword play was a good departure from the normal game.

Also, despite what every else says, Dead Souls is a good game.

That's a bummer. What's the best PS3 game for someone who has never played one? I'm not too concerned about where it falls in the story as I know I will not be playing/beating the entire series.

I need to review your "what is yakuza" thread again, IrishNinja.

Start with Yakuza 3 if you're limited to the PS3. It includes a summary of the previous 2 games.

D.Lo

The most recent Yakuza title available in the West on PS3 is Yakuza 4, and it's PSN only.

I have Yakuza 4 on a disc. It's Yakuza 5 that is DL only.

I have Yakuza 4 on a disc. It's Yakuza 5 that is DL only.

Ahhh, you're right, I have 4 on disc too, it is 5, my bad!

Isshin is a pretty good game. I had a lot of fun in old Kyoto. The sword play was a good departure from the normal game.

Also, despite what every else says, Dead Souls is a good game.

I have Dead Souls for PS3, but never played it, I just wanted to own it as a fan of the series. I'll give it a go some day, as my PS3 is still hooked up specifically for 5.

Sega Saturn aficionados:

The best RAM cart is probably the action replay one. If you live close to Toronto I'll give you a free controller to get you started :).

Top Bottom