• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

daydream

Banned
CrPeHJy.png

LsQC4fr.png

Developer(s): Nintendo EAD Group No. 4
Publisher(s): Nintendo
Platform(s): Wii U
Release date(s):

JP September 10, 2015
NA September 11, 2015
EU September 11, 2015
AUS September 12, 2015

Genre(s): Level editor, platform
Player(s): Single-player
Price: 44,99€ / 59,99$ (Artbook Edition); 59,99€ (Amiibo + Artbook)
Download Size: 1.4GB​

SYg1G3d.png

Super Mario Maker is a creation tool video game which allows players to create their own levels from the Super Mario series using the Wii U GamePad, which they can then share
with other players. Players can base their levels on the gameplay and visual style of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and New Super Mario Bros. U,
with some gameplay mechanics, and enemy behaviour changing accordingly. Those elements are limited to specific game styles while others can be added to game styles that
previously did not have them in the original game, such as Boos in Super Mario Bros.

In addition to traditional Mario elements such as Goombas, warp pipes, and power ups, players can manipulate the behavior of various elements in unique ways. For example,
they can stack enemies on top of one another, have hazards come out of question blocks, use shells as protective helmets, and make cannons shoot out coins, enemies, or
whatever the creator chooses. These combinations are possible because editing tools in the game work in tandem with one another. This allows players to make any enemy in
the game larger by giving them a mushroom, grant them the ability to fly by giving them wings, and so on, with combinations being possible to implement as well. Other elements
include the Sound Frog, which adds sound and visual effects to certain parts of the level, including voice recorded messages, and live Miiverse integration.

Aside from creating levels and sharing them, players can engage with other people's creations in various ways. This includes browsing the vast catalogue of online creations but
also a mode called '100 Mario Challenge' which pits the players against eight (on the Easy difficulty) or sixteen (on the Normal or Expert difficulty) user-created levels with
100 lives at their disposal. Beating the challenge unlocks another costume for Mario that can be used in the original Super Mario Bros. style by picking up a Mystery Mushroom.
The variety of costumes ranges from the inner circle of Nintendo characters (think Smash roster) to iconic characters from other Nintendo games! Rounding out the package is a
'10 Mario challenge' in which the players have to beat eight stages with no more than 10 lives available to them. The eight stages are randomly selected from an array of 68
Nintendo-created levels that are included in the game.​

ptBHLKH.png

NVyHBOl.png

bWy7xhS.png

SCREENSHOTS

VIDEOS

r4wRhht.png

I have so many questions, I don't even know where to begin!

I urge everyone to read the 'Game Features' section as it includes a lot of vital information.

I started playing and I don't have all the tools available, what gives? I want them as quickly as possible.

With the new update, the levels are unlocked by extensive play in the editor. Here's the best way to ensure quick unlocks of the new sets: 1. Use all the new items,
backgrounds etc. (everything with a '!'), combine items, etc. Just use the new stuff for a while. At that point, you will get a notification that new features "will be available
soon". Now just clear the screen, choose a land block (something you can put down without lifting the stylus) and fill the whole screen with that by going back and forth
with the stick. The set that was announced to be arriving "soon" should unlock in a couple of minutes' time. Repeat at your leisure.

Are the individual physics of the four Mario titles recreated in a faithful fashion?

Not exactly. While some idiosyncracies have been accurately reproduced for the different artstyles, a lot of elements had to be standardised across the board for level sharing
to work, as well as seamless transitioning from one artstyle to the other. This includes the jumping physics which are based on NSMBU. You can read more about the changes here.

Is there a digital version of the booklet that is bundled with the game?

Yup, and you can find it for free right here!

Will there be DLC for this game?

The first piece of costume DLC has been announced today. The Famitsu mascot Necky the Fox will be released in Japan soon, details forthcoming. As of now, it is unclear
whether that is a one-off and if it will be free or paid DLC.

What's the maximum size of a level?

10x2 screens with one sub-area (reached via pipes or doors) of the same size. That's a lot of level to work with!

How many levels can I save locally?

You can have up to 120 creations stored on your Maker profile, including your own. However, you can play levels without downloading them, just like in Trials,
for example.

Can I create my own overworlds?

Don't be silly! You can, however, arrange levels into a world structure locally.

How do I change the hand that is visible on the TV while editing?

Press in the L and R sticks to cycle through the different hands/paws.

Is the frog icon in the level editor a callback to Frog Hop?

If you want it to be, sure! However, the frog icon originally appeared in Mario Paint so your question should be the other way around.

What is up with Amiibo?

What IS up with Amiibo?​

OWPyg2q.png

U6o21hN.png

The 8-bit Mario releases in Europe and Australia in two colours - a classic style and a modern style. The classic style releases with the game in a special bundle (see
'Editions') in Europe whereas modern Mario follows October 23 in Europe and a day later in Australia. Note that US collectors will have to turn to a Walmart bundle(!) for the
modern colour palette.

The classic 8-bit Mario amiibo unlocks a Mega Mushroom in the game which is comparable to the Mega Mushroom found in the NSMB games.

Furthermore, all amiibos that have been released so far are compatible with the game, unlocking a special costume that can be used in the Super Mario Bros. artstyle in-game.
Keep in mind that these costumes can also be unlocked without amiibo, by way of playing and beating the 100 Mario Challenge (see 'Game Features').​

ns0bY4y.png

Giant Bomb - 5/5
Super Mario Maker lets you make your own Super Mario Bros. levels and if that isn't enough for you then you're probably beyond help anyway.
IGN - 9
Super Mario Maker is a great way to mark Mario’s 30th birthday, but it’s not concerned with being an overwrought history lesson. Instead, it’s a celebration that folds three decades of Mario into one accessible, powerful creation suite. The perpetual joke at the end of every 10 Mario Challenge run informing you that the Princess is in yet another castle hints at Super Mario Maker’s bigger promise: There will always be more levels to play thanks to the online creation community, and a virtually endless pool of challenges to overcome.
Gamespot - 9
The first time I discovered that, not only could I make a giant, flame-spewing piranha plant, but I could also make it fly, I cackled with horrible glee at the possibilities. And for the first time in a creation-focused experience, I look forward to returning again and again for more than just the amazing levels I know other people will create. I want to keep making my own levels better. The game won't necessarily turn you into the next Shigeru Miyamoto, but you can almost feel a little bit of that magic rubbing off every time you upload a new creation.
USGamer - 5/5
Nintendo has gone back to perhaps the most important game it ever created for an inspired new creation. Just as Super Mario Bros. redefined the platformer genre, Super Mario Maker redefines the idea of a consumer-level game design toolset. It makes complexity feel simple and creativity addictive, and it does so by drawing upon, and holding true to, the principles of accessibility and polish that made Super Mario Bros. such a landmark all those years ago.
Game Informer - 9
Despite not being anything close to a game designer, I have spent plenty of time with game-creation tools. I’ve created levels in games like LittleBigPlanet and worlds in Project Spark, but the process always feels time-consuming and complicated. In terms of ease of use and the time required to create something you are proud of, Super Mario Maker is the fastest and most rewarding.

You can find many more reviews in the review thread! And I wanna give huge thanks to kubus for the beautiful banners!

kEgzECZ.png

daydream

Banned
0GhLSDz.png

Welcome to the first SMM-GAF Community Contest! The goal of this contest is to see how different creators tackle a certain theme and have the community vote on the best entry. To participate, all you have to do is create and submit a level that adheres to the provided requirements. You will find them below:

SMM-GAF Contest #1 - TOURNAMENT CLOSED, SEE BELOW

Theme: Level 1-1 for a new Mario game
Description: Creating the first level for an entirely new Mario platformer must be a tough task for the level designers at Nintendo. Certain traditions of 1-1 stages must be respected while also avoiding the dangers of being derivative. Now it's up to you to create a level that would serve as the very first stage of a new Mario game. Think about what direction the game goes in. Think about a new idea that might be featured more heavily and expanded on in certain ways as the game progresses. The first impression is what counts, right?
Styles: All Styles allowed

Submission deadline: Monday, Sep 21 (12pm GMT+1)
Voting period: see 'Voting Rules'

Submission Rules:

To submit a level, post the code of your level along with a screenshot in this very thread and clearly label it as entry for the contest by putting the following on the top of your post: 'Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1'.

Keep in mind that only one entry per user is allowed. If you wanna retract a level and submit a new one, make that absolutely clear and edit your old post to reflect that change. Please refrain from doing this a lot, better be absolutely sure that the stage you created is the one you wanna submit.

You can label your level in a way that relates it to our contest but you don't have to. Just make sure to properly submit a level in here by following the rules above. The deadlines for submitting and voting will be posted above and below, respectively.

I hope that, first and foremost, a contest like this will help people focus their creativity while trying to work around restrictions (which will undoubtedly become more strict in later tournaments!). Most importantly, though, I hope that everyone has a fun time!

Voting Rules:

Once the deadline for submitting levels is reached, I will assemble all the entries and post the list in here. SMM-GAF will then go ahead and try the levels. You can assign points to up to three levels - your first pick gets three points, your second pick two points, your third pick one point.

The voting will be done in a group format. With 68 entries, I will post four randomly assembled groups of 17 and we'll vote on one group at a time. Three levels - the ones with the most points - from each group will advance into the final voting group. In the case of a tie in third place, both proceed.

You can give feedback in the thread and reveal your ranking if you wish. However, you must send me your ballot in a PM, this ensures anonymity for those who want it and, more importantly, gives me an easier time counting your votes. Including the creators' names in the ballot is sufficient. Obviously, you cannot vote for your own levels.

The deadlines for voting will be the following:

Group 1 ~ Thursday, Sep 24 (12PM GMT+1)
Group 2 ~ Thursday, Oct 1 (12PM GMT+1)
Group 3 ~ Tuesday, Oct 6 (12PM GMT+1)
Group 4 ~ Sunday, Oct 11 (12PM GMT+1)

Final ~ Monday, Oct 19 (12PM GMT+1)

The final three winners will be included in the Community Showcase.

Group #1

Winners: BGBW, BowieZ, Junahu, Nohar

Group #2

Winners: Belgian Dude, Boba2007, Kebiinu

NOTE: I have the groups 1 and 2 starred on my account. Punch in an ID of mine (AADE-0000-001B-12DD) and check out my 'starred levels' on my profile for quick access.

Group #3

Winners: Dad, Nocturnowl, Sixfortyfive

Group #4

Winners: Robin64, Sölf, SuperJay

Note: Thanks to Dad, we have an account that has all the group 4 levels starred on it! Punch in this code to access it: EEFD-0000-0091-F4D1

AND WE HAVE A WINNER!

zhoiVP0.png

Congratulations to..

..Kebiinu who took SMM-GAF's hearts by storm with his level, Koopa Trails!

ID: 427A-0000-0051-51C6

JYV6Zmp.jpg

Runner-up is BelgianDude with Super Climber Bros. 1-1, congrats!

A whole lot of people on third place so I'm just adding the first two to the showcase for now.

I wanna thank everyone for participating and voting! My job was made easy by you guys adhering to the rules as well as you did, I'm very happy about that. It was a whole lot of 1-1 to go through but I hope everyone had a fun time thinking about the intricacies of a 1-1 design either while making a level or playing other contestants' levels. Look for a new tournament in the near future!

kAlmwzR.png

In the Community Showcase I would like to display GAFfer-made levels. If you have played a level you deem worthy, just post about it in the thread or shoot me a PM.

Stages as SMM-Bookmarks (courtesy of Robin64):

I thought it would be fun to pool the NeoGAF Community Showcase levels from the OT together into one easily bookmarkable post. So I did!

Smokin' Skull Stream by Nocturnowl
Jr's Water Park by Kinsei
Little Pikmin Adventure by Robin64
Sunken Airship by Dimentios
Tonight I Dine On Turtle Soup by ToastyFrog
Ruined Castle Romp by Insidious Walrus
Pipe-opolis by UncleSporky
WarioWare, Inc. by octopiggy
Goombas Take A Dive by Macheezmo
The White Dimension by Storm Kyleis
Dark Paths, Cold Nights by Danielsan
A Song of Ice and Fire by daydream
Captain Toad Lvl. 1 (DON'T JUMP!) by Belgian Dude
Koopa Trails by Kebiinu

1. Smokin' Skull Stream by Nocturnowl (ID: B4D8-0000-0012-345C)

XP8m6sM.jpg

An excellent level that is very reminscent of the game it lent its assets from, it provides a challenge that is always fair thanks to thoughtful design.

Good stage! These are the kind of levels we need.

Very nice and challenging. I was sweating a little towards the end, but somehow managed it.

2. Jr's Water Park by Kinsei (ID: EABD-0000-0014-D904)

DwIuhG8.jpg

This wonderfully creative stage manages to build up a sense of place and a sense of cohesiveness like few others do. The change-up between castle and water theme is pulled off very well, and some of the enemy patterns are among the most interesting I've seen in any water level. Usually, a high level of creativity sends the difficulty curve flying in all sorts of directions, but not here! A very fun ride, indeed.

This was a fantastic level. Maybe a little too chaotic wih thegoombas in the water section, but it was really tense and heart stopping at times. Love the back and forth too, really fleshes it out and gives it a feeling of space.

Sparf (Miiverse) said:
Lovely and inventive design choices!

3. Little Pikmin Adventure by Robin64 (ID: E088-0000-0018-E993)

fIsRKnz.jpg

Not a difficult stage, probably not even a challenging one. But an exemplary display of how to do a stage with a character theme and a clever approach on how to do a lot with very little while being obscenely charming to boot. The Mario equivalent of a praline!

Simple but effective in how you used the enlarged enemies to create that sense of scale for the Pikmin.
I didn't actually know you could be a trio of pikmin, such a neat skin.

The Wotch (Miiverse) said:
That was adorable. And I found Olimar!

4. Sunken Airship by Dimentios (ID: 2053-0000-0012-5786)

5plnmjo.jpg

Sometimes there's something to be said for rock solid level design. This stage doesn't reinvent the wheel but it does manage to evoke a sense of wonder of exploring a sunken ship, effortlessly combining underwater and ship sections, with very natural enemy placement and a nice sense of pace.

Moe (Miiverse) said:
Great attention to detail!

Ricardo (Miiverse) said:
Excellent level! Fun theme, reasonable challenge. Keep up the good work!

5. Tonight I Dine On Turtle Soup by ToastyFrog (ID: EDD0-0000-0024-CA8E)

HBju9OS.jpg

Many people have tried to recreate stages from other game in Mario Maker. Few have succeeded in the way T-Frog does in his adaptation of the bomb defusal stage from TMNT on the NES. A transformative effort that is as creative as it is fun.

Superb! Nicely done. Not just a good homage to TMNT but a good swimming level in its own right.

ehhh (Miiverse) said:
Oddly, more fun than the original...

6. Ruined Castle Romp by Insidious Walrus (ID: 6684-0000-0034-1BD7)

KPIL7Ie.jpg

A different kind of castle stage but a castle stage nonetheless. Filled with lots of alternate paths and secrets, the level gets a chance to breathe without feeling loose and empty. Every obstacle is meticulously and harmoniously placed - a study in elegance despite its brutalistic theme.

Really really fun! Congrats - difficult yet fair - the fireball segment was pretty tough for me! Really like the shortcut over the Thwomps.

Ok, of the traditional Super Mario levels so far, I think this is by far my favorite. It's just REALLY tightly designed. Incredible work

7. Pipe-opolis by UncleSporky (ID: BA66-0000-002A-4DB2)

HkcTloN.jpg

A master class in pipe level design. Contrary to most level of a similar aesthetic, the stage doesn't feel cluttered and chaotic. It flows brilliantly and is a testament to the creator's eye for striking layout and geometry. A phantastical piple jungle that needs to be experienced.

It’s 1990 and there’s a new World 7 stage! The hidden area near the end was vintage SMB3. Very good stage, definitely one of the best I’ve played. Big-time recommend.

Darn good level right here. I agree with you on the nice aesthetic and the end as a cave being better - it felt like I made my way out of a pipe maze and was satisfying.

8. WarioWare, Inc. by octopiggy (ID: 2B43-0000-0038-3F06)

VEZcSH5.jpg

A brilliant adaptation of WarioWare's micro-game format in Mario form. Complete with the appropriate musical cue, this stage has to be experienced to see the exact planning that went into the progression and geometry of the different playing fields. With the rich template already in place, the door is left open for a sequel.

That's really clever and one of the best uses of the music creation I've seen so far. I'll try to remember to star it when I get home.

This is amazing, first stage I'm downloading to see how this works.

9. Goombas Take A Dive by Macheezmo (ID: A4AA-0000-0040-2512)

zV384rH.jpg

Comedy is a hard thing to pull off, especially in a Mario level. This stage succeeds at creating a humourous mini-narrative while also providing a fun and swift little level that would be among the most creative to pop up in an 'Easy' 100 Mario Challenge. And we desperately need more quality stages that cater to that difficulty tier.

This level however is getting nowhere near the attention it deserves. [...] The big reveal is worth the playthrough alone. [...] Please give this one a shot, GAF!

10. The White Dimension by Storm Kyleis (ID: 72FC-0000-0028-D4F2)

K2P1AHE.jpg

Not the most taxing platforming stage in the world, this level has to be experienced for the sheer creativity and artistry that went into the visual design. Like a piece of blank paper ripped out of a notebook, few courses in Mario Maker work around the limitations of the editor in such a striking and evocative manner.

Really really good! I got a laugh out of the daintily floating Starman for some reason.

Mike2891 (Miiverse) said:
This is incredible! So creative, just wow.

11. Dark Paths, Cold Nights by Danielsan (ID: 01C9-0000-004C-952B)

6huVt4W.jpg

A tour de force in level layout and architecture. Rather unusual design for a ghost house level which is perhaps what makes this stage so interesting. A lot of alternate paths that are just as fun as the main route round out this wonderful, atmospheric work.

Very good stuff. You're at 100% stars so far. To the top you go!

12. A Song of Ice and Fire by daydream (ID: AADE-0000-001B-12DD)

HKerlX8.jpg

I got a recommendation to include my own stage. I hesitated to include it but the positive feedback gave me the reassurance. Here's a neutral description: An icy challenge in Bowser's castle that has been turned into the remnants of a puzzle game. Careful jumps and a state of alertness will get you far. And if you're freezing, don't fret: A lucky game of Tetris will surely take your mind off things!

Loved the Tetris segment. Pretty fun course!

First level I tried here on GAF and thank you for a level that isn't stupid. Great job. It's short and sweet. Can be hard but I still got through in one go, hits that nice "woah I am going to die omg I made it" moments. I'll follow you.

13. Captain Toad Lvl. 1 (DON'T JUMP!) by Belgian Dude (ID: 2915-0000-0049-1B14)

iAeR5Yh.jpg

Another one of the rare amiibo stages that actually take their source material into account and process it in an amazingly creative way. This short and incredibly endearing level projects the rules of Captain Toad onto a 2D plane. If the player follows the one condition that is imposed on him at the beginning, he will be rewarded with the essential pace and feeling of what made the original inspiration so great.

Ha! I love it! It's a good twist on classic mario elements. Just like the real captain toad, so I approve. Can't wait for more challenging ones!

Wow this is a cool idea!

The GAF creator database (courtesy of ramparter)

NOTE: Only one level is enough. The purpose is to allow you the other gaffers to find you, follow you and get to see your other levels too.

Quote post to see the form link here:
Form

Quote post to view the levels here:
Levels

From KodeAndGame comes a list with GAFfer levels that haven't received feedback via quote in the thread, yet.

And last, but not least - UncleSporky's Guide For Designing Good™ Mario Levels

eJGDhEE.gif

Theorymon

Can't wait to start creating stuff tomorrow :D

Also I still can't help but think its sureal that Sonic is playable in a Mario platformer now. that would have made school kids heads explode like 20 years ago!

Very excited for this game. Can't wait to see what players are able to create in a couple of days time.

Just a fair warning for everybody playing on this first days: most of the levels are going to be pretty shitty but you will see them improving every single day.

DarkTom

This game has hyped me slowly but surely. It will be great to create and refine levels while watching TV or something.

The promo art for the game like that last picture in the OP is beautiful, nice OT by the way.

TEJ

I'm not too interested in creating my own levels but I am interested in playing what people can craft, any limitations on how many levels I can download?

Question, if you download a level can you then change the theme yourself or are you locked to what the creator choose? Love the Mario World theme and would love to be able to play most levels like that.

daydream

Banned
I'm not too interested in creating my own levels but I am interested in playing what people can craft, any limitations on how many levels I can download?

you can have 120 levels saved locally

had this info in the OP but it must have been in a previous draft, adding it back in now!

Kinsei

Banned
Question, if you download a level can you then change the theme yourself or are you locked to what the creator choose? Love the Mario World theme and would love to be able to play most levels like that.

You can change it, but the level might become impossible if it relys on wall jumps or ground pounds.

Got the notification that my copy shipped yesterday, expected tomorrow at work! I'm feeling like my 4 year old self who opened mario 3 for my birthday!

Does this include levels that ship with the game?
Luckily no since those are online-accessable section. The 120 level limit does include levels you made though.
Also you can play any level without downloading it. Think downloads are strictly to get inspiration.
Did anyone test what you can do offline?

Pila

Can't wait. I'm usually a digital buyer but I wanted the artbook this time. Plz AMZN hurry up.

JPickford

This is an absolute delight. Having such a great tool matched with one of the best games ever is fantastic.

I done a course: 'Easy b' - just using the first set of bits.

AE9B-0000-0010-918A

Unlocking the other stuff via the clock is a bit tedious.

Top Bottom