• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Nightii

Banned
He shows up after the 9th round on grand prix (I was playing on difficulty 4), name's Springtron.

DMYu1mCVQAANpPx.jpg

EDIT: You only get one shot, if you lose, you move on to the Max Brass fight. ;-;

I... don't know, let me finish my GP run to see the records and confirm.

EDIT: I indeed went 2-0 before he showed up (unless my enemy getting a point in V-Ball counts against that), but I can't say that means it's mandatory.

Ouch. Looks like I'll never see Springtron unless he becomes playable then.

What can you tell us about him?

Nightii

Banned
Ouch. Looks like I'll never see Springtron unless he becomes playable then.

What can you tell us about him?

Give it a try, like I said, I can't confirm that you need to go 2-0 to fight him.

He fights like Spring Man, has the same default arms. No special stage, you fight him whenever you last fought.

Most importantly, if he does the big power up shockwave and any of your arms is close when it happens, they become disabled instantly.

Give it a try, like I said, I can't confirm that you need to go 2-0 to fight him.

He fights like Spring Man, has the same default arms. No special stage, you fight him whenever you last fought.

Most importantly, if he does the big power up shockwave and any of your arms is close when it happens, they become disabled instantly.

Currently on match 6 of Grand Prix with a 2-0 record [save and quit for the win :p]; hope to smash Springtron soon!

I MADE IT TO SPRINGTRON, LOST A ROUND THEN HAD TO LEAVE FOR A MINUTE, SO I SAVED AND QUIT AND LOST THE CHANCE TO FIGHT HIM

AUGH

ahem. anyway, he's extremely similar to Spring Man, but with different voice clips and a massive AOE shock wave that disables your arms if they're in its range. for scale's sake, it covered nearly half of Cinema Deux. if he's promoted to playable, i think shrinking the range of this move dramatically will be required. he has no unique theme nor signature arms, and appears to have no home stage, at this time anyway. he may very well have signatures added if he becomes playable later. his animations are basically identical to Spring Man's barring the shockwave. he seems to have a very fast aerial speed but a shockingly low ground speed; i was Brass and he seems to be on par with the Commish in ground speed. his arm girth also seems larger than Spring Man's. not sure if he has super armor, but it didn't seem like it.

i can at least confirm you need to be undefeated to face him, as Biff's prematch banter said so. unsure if that means go 2-0 each match or simply don't lose a match. either way, i'm not going through it again tonight.

Sounds like a rather disappointing update, to be honest.

Mmm, it definitely feels like its laying the foundation for something bigger. The Badge system seems pretty neat, and an Akuma-like boss gives me an actual reason to go back to Grand Prix, so...

Plus there's the very good chance that a needed Springtron will end up playable eventually.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Mmm, it definitely feels like its laying the foundation for something bigger. The Badge system seems pretty neat, and an Akuma-like boss gives me an actual reason to go back to Grand Prix, so...

Plus there's the very good chance that a needed Springtron will end up playable eventually.
Thanks, that sounds more promising!

Thanks, that sounds more promising!

It's admittedly a rather small update, but given the quick turnaround since Lola Pop, it was expected. Basically, we got:

-Balance Changes (Lola Buffs)
-Replay Saving
-Badges
-Springtron Akuma

Plus the implications that Springtron may be playable in a later update (a gif of him in 1v100 was shown on Biff's Twitter, complete with a smaller EMP radius).

Just logged in to 920 coins from badges. I'd spend them now, as my collection isn't that large, but maybe it makes more sense to save them up until the next playable character is added, in case it turns out to be someone interesting.

No time to play tonight, but I love the GP and new content is always a plus, so I look forward to taking a crack at it later in the week.

The big thing for me in this update has certainly been the replay button added so I can take pictures of all my online fights :)

Too bad I can't save the ones I liked most.

Also, Lola got buffed?

I thought the badges would draw me back into this... but having no hints or indications on how they unlock makes them a bit of a waste.
This game is determined to be lacking isn’t it :(

TheMoon

everybody hates posting patch notes
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26377/p/897

Version 3.2

Added new ”Badge" feature.​
Receive neat badges as a reward for fulfilling certain conditions.
Wear your favorite badge and show it off to your opponent.
Added new ”Recent Replays" feature.​
Select from a list and view replays of past matches.
Replay data is automatically deleted when necessary, starting with the oldest data.
Also, future ARMS updates will cause all replay data from past versions to be deleted.
During replay playback, ZR will no longer switch between targets. The X button instead is used for all camera angle switching.
During replay playback, + - buttons no longer toggle HP gauge display, and instead now bring up the menu.

Fixed issue where, at certain timings, follow up attacks after wind attacks would not land.
Fixed issue where, after suffering an ice attack, players on a snake board could repeatedly jump and the snake board would continuously accelerate.
Fixed issue where, when battle rules are set to 1-punch KO, under certain conditions fighters would become unable to move.

We've identified an interloper who has been disrupting the Grand Prix, going after our fiercest competitors. If encountered, we advise you to dispatch them with prejudice.

Adjusted the abilities of certain fighters and ARMS as follows.​

Fighters / Arms Adjustments​
Lola Pop It's already been one month since she joined ARMS. Her beginner's nerves have faded away, giving her increased movement speed during air dashes.
Increased movement speed during high jump.
Increased movement speed when bounding.
Adjusted speed when descending.

Byte & Barq Decreased time interval between Byte and Barq's respective attacks.

Max Brass Decreased expansion rate of attacks when buffed up.
Increased distance from which he can approach targets.

Megawatt Increased expansion rate when extending.
Increased extension speed.
Increased expansion rate of charge attacks.

Slamamander Increased extension speed.

Biffler Increased retraction speed.
Increased floatiness of jump attacks.

Boomerang
Coolerang Increased expansion rate of charge attacks.

Revolver Increased retraction speed.

Retorcher Increased retraction speed.
Adjusted path followed when extending.

Nade Fixed online play issue where explosive damage would trigger twice.

Whammer
Kablammer Increased speed of charge attacks.

Blorb Increased expansion rate when extending.
Increased time needed to finish expanding.

Chilla Decreased homing ability.

Tribolt Decreased speed of charge attacks.
Increased time needed to finish expanding.
Fixed multiple online play issues.

Triblast
Guardian
Clapback Fixed multiple online play issues.

V3.2! No playable metal springman is disappointing. I was looking forward to that.
On the contrary no playble Metal Springton is the best thing it could happen depending of what the developers do after this.

To better explain: Having basically a rehash of an existing character with some alterations occupaying an slot instead of something like Lola Pop would be the dissapointment.

What would be worthwhile is having "Metal" versions of each fighter with corresponding buffs and handicaps that could be selected like the alternate colors before a match.

Sounds like a rather disappointing update, to be honest.
Read the patch notes posted by Moon. Badges, replays, Springton and balancing more or less a month after having a brand new character and stage is rather good. We could only wish we have this type of sustained support going forward into the future.

PokéKong

I've done the Long Time Arms Getter more times tonight than the entire time I've owned the game since launch combined, and that right there is enough to make the update worthwhile. Seeing people sporting badges online almost like avatars is a nice extra touch of personalization.

So does encountering and beating Springtron do anything at all? I know it hasn't been out long and there's still much experimenting to do. I'm reminded of what the new Killer Instinct did with Shadow Jago, where there were very strict criteria for encountering him and he was an overpowered boss character when CPU controlled, but beating him only unlocked a cosmetic skin for Jago you could at least wear like a badge of honer. They later turned Shadow Jago into a regular character with his own moveset.

JavyOO7

Its a good update for the replays alone. We just need to now be able to upload the videos through Youtube in the game like we were able to in MK8

PokéKong;252377865 said:
I've done the Long Time Arms Getter more times tonight than the entire time I've owned the game since launch combined, and that right there is enough to make the update worthwhile. Seeing people sporting badges online almost like avatars is a nice extra touch of personalization.

So does encountering and beating Springtron do anything at all? I know it hasn't been out long and there's still much experimenting to do. I'm reminded of what the new Killer Instinct did with Shadow Jago, where there were very strict criteria for encountering him and he was an overpowered boss character when CPU controlled, but beating him only unlocked a cosmetic skin for Jago you could at least wear like a badge of honer. They later turned Shadow Jago into a regular character with his own moveset.

Defeating Springtron earns you a badge of his face; it's worth 200 coins.

200?!

I gotta get his ass!

I love the extra coins from the badges. The game was really needing it.

Good luck; he's pretty tough!

A word of advice: DO NOT punch recklessly. If he has his ARMS by his side, he can and likely will use his EMP. Its range is absurd, and it immediately disables your ARMS as though you were Shocked. But... as far as I can tell, he can only use it if both ARMS are retracted.

On the contrary no playble Metal Springton is the best thing it could happen depending of what the developers do after this.

To better explain: Having basically a rehash of an existing character with some alterations occupaying an slot instead of something like Lola Pop would be the dissapointment.

What would be worthwhile is having "Metal" versions of each fighter with corresponding buffs and handicaps that could be selected like the alternate colors before a match.

Read the patch notes posted by Moon. Badges, replays, Springton and balancing more or less a month after having a brand new character and stage is rather good. We could only wish we have this type of sustained support going forward into the future.

I disagree; Springtron's stats and EMP make him fairly distinct from Spring Man. They only really share:

-Animations
-Body type
-The Deflect ability
-The ARMS Loadout (and who's to say he won't get his own later?)

Otherwise, they differ in:

-Stats
-Secondary Ability
-Voice clips

I'd say that lowering the EMP range, giving him Signature ARMS, and further altering his stats would make him a fairly respectable fighter.

Rafavert

Good luck; he's pretty tough!

A word of advice: DO NOT punch recklessly. If he has his ARMS by his side, he can and likely will use his EMP. Its range is absurd, and it immediately disables your ARMS as though you were Shocked. But... as far as I can tell, he can only use it if both ARMS are retracted.

I disagree; Springtron's stats and EMP make him fairly distinct from Spring Man. They only really share:

-Animations
-Body type
-The Deflect ability
-The ARMS Loadout (and who's to say he won't get his own later?)

Otherwise, they differ in:

-Stats
-Secondary Ability
-Voice clips

I'd say that lowering the EMP range, giving him Signature ARMS, and further altering his stats would make him a fairly respectable fighter.

Will keep that in mind! Gosh, I hate the shocked effect. It's too good... it shouldn't limit movement so much. Right now it's like freezing, but better in every aspect. No attack, no defense, no jump, no mvement... no nothing.

Will keep that in mind! Gosh, I hate the shocked effect. It's too good... it shouldn't limit movement so much. Right now it's like freezing, but better in every aspect. No attack, no defense, no jump, no mvement... no nothing.

One good thing is that EMP doesn't seem to disable your ARMS for very long; I'd say maybe half the time of a Shock? Maybe even less than that?

JavyOO7

If you guys know of a good Lola Pop player for me to look at, let me know. XD

Trying to get somewhat decent with her, like I am with Spring Man. Not at that level yet. =p

Rafavert

If you guys know of a good Lola Pop player for me to look at, let me know. XD

Trying to get somewhat decent with her, like I am with Spring Man. Not at that level yet. =p

I second this need. I love her, I suck at her. I need to unlock a Whammer for her....

Dyle

Sounds like a nice update, collecting badges should provide the little bit of progression that the game sorely needed beyond slowly increasing your arm-ory. Springtron sounds like a nice addition, albeit small. Hopefully they'll add more badges with future updates to keep having goals to shoot for.

JoeInky

Some of the badges having randomised designs is weird, I assume there's only a certain amount and if everyone got all the badges theyd all have one of each, but it makes it a bit less special to have a badge on your profile that doesn't really mean anything.

I suppose the badges for stuff that's actually hard won't be randomised though so it's not too bad.

I knew springtron wouldn't be playable yet, but I was expecting him to be a secret boss in 1vs100 with the way the trailer played out, I wonder what the last modern fighting game to have a secret boss character was.

ASIS

Anyone have high level play videos they want to share? The video posted by Refreshment in the last page made me thirsty for more.

Rafavert

Fought Springtron.

Got my butt handed to me big time X.x Damn! The first round I barely touched him!

For those wondering, was at rank 4 and didn't lose a single battle on the way, so I can't confirm if losing 1 out of 3 still qualifies.

Notes on Tron:

1. He has regular spring deflect. 2. Super deflect only affects arms in motion. 3. After a super deflect he is permanently charged on both arms and has max stats minus girth until knocked down or 5-10 seconds pass, no super armor. He charges up regardless of whether or not your arms are disabled I believe, I might be wrong on that. 4. He's relatively slow when not charged, arguable. 5. He does not have comeback factor below 25% 6. A full charge, even against the AI, is NECESSARY to super deflect. 7. Once he's charged he can still super deflect and regular deflect 8. This allows for similar Max Brass bait but without armor, girth, and when uncharged he's slow af ish

He's certainly more complicated and balanced than he appears at first glance.

Furthermore, he shares the same death and throw animation as Spring, but the animation he does when he wins a ROUND is unique. Instead of lifting his hand toward the air like Spring Man, he instead punches the air in front of him multiple times. If he wasn't meant to be playable, I don't know why they would waste time on giving him a unique round winning animation.

Not to mention the old news that he has unique fans in the audience.

Furthermore, he has two winning animations, one where he goes from a handstand and lands on his feet and one where he jumps toward the air. Only characters have two winning animations, as Hedlok only has one.

Also, he had his own voice clips, notably when rushing. If you get the badge for beating him and select it, you can hear him say "Springtron!" If he was a boss I don't understand why they would go through the pain of giving him voice lines. Hedlok is also a robot but has no actual voice clips, just sounds that depend on the character he uses. Springtron sounds more like a Byte than a Hedlok.

Finally, here's the kicker. Every person in the game has their own symbol, even Hedlok:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/270452947505250306/370342290432065536/image.jpg

As you go through the Grand Prix, every character's badge is the symbol that represents that character (if you fight Helix in GP, his badge is his Helix symbol). These character badges are unlocked by playing as said character for 50 rounds. So logically, Hedlok should have the aforementioned symbol when you fight him, right? It would look aesthetically pleasing. But he doesn't:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/270452947505250306/370342320987701260/image.jpg

In the end, it makes sense. He is a boss character that you can't play as and has his own mode, so it's impossible to play as him for 50 rounds. So, what is his badge? It's the badge that you get for beating him, seen here:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/270452947505250306/370342345989685248/image.jpg

I'm under the assumption that every badge you see is one that can be earned, be it now or later. It wouldn't make sense to have a badge a player can't earn, and using Hedlok's symbol goes against what the other symbol badges are given to you for (playing with said character). When you defeat Springtron, you are awarded this badge:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/270452947505250306/370342335231557643/image.jpg

If he was a boss that couldn't be played as at all, then that aforementioned badge should be the badge you see him with, right? If he was a boss it wouldn't make sense to make his badge his symbol since it goes against the other symbol badges, considering he isn't playable. BUT WHAT BADGE DOES HE HAVE WHEN YOU FIGHT HIM:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/270452947505250306/370342276125294594/image.jpg

His own character badge, just like every other character. It doesn't make sense to make his badge aesthetically match and not Hedlok's since they both have symbols. I'm also under the assumption the developers wouldn't waste time making a badge that players wouldn't eventually obtain. So, if his badge is obtained like all the other character badges, I believe it's fair to say I'll be possible to play as him for at least 50 rounds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ARMS/comments/77ahfs/notes_on_springtron_possible_evidence_of_what/

Reddit post with link to the photos if these don't work.

bonesquad

Replay mode is a bit disappointing, but the badges are really neat.

Do you think Nintendo will put forth an effort over the holidays to spur on more sales? I say that only because I just played a bout of Party Match with mostly the same 4-5 people, and had my ass kicked. Repeatedly. Maybe that was bad luck - I usually can win a few games - but I wouldn't mind some fresh players to uh, practice against.
i.e. take out my frustrations on:)

bonesquad

Fascinating analysis, Gore!

So my intuition that he DOESN'T have Super Armor was correct!

Interesting that EMP places him in a sort of super mode... perhaps Overload would be a more fitting name?

I know that you're very well versed in the inner workings of ARMS; what sort of changes do you feel a playable Springtron would require to be fair?

And congrats on your victory, bonesquad!

Giolon

Can any one explain the difference between retraction speed and extension speed? Not sure which arms got buffed and which ones got nerfed. Thanks.

I assume extension speed is the speed at which arms go out, and retraction speed is the speed at which arms come back in. However, what I really want to know is what's the difference between extension speed and expansion speed as both are mentioned in the patch notes.

bon

you guys I am so bad at arms.

i'm just trying to play through grand prix on normal difficulty and i'm getting destroyed by everyone.

this is humiliating.

Top Bottom