• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"y cant metroid crawl?" first time (Miiverse) players cry for help in Super Metroid

I honestly am not in much surprise, really.

ijX3EzSIF4ARe.gif

The Scorpion part always kills me due to the fast fade away lolol

Thank you. Thank you so much for taking critical thinking out of video games. Now people can't even figure out how to GET PAST OBSTACLES IN SUPER METROID.

This is way modern games are so automatised and easy, we are getting dumber and dumber each year that passes by. Humanity is doomed. Repent yourself guys.

Thank you. Thank you so much for taking critical thinking out of video games. Now people can't even figure out how to GET PAST OBSTACLES IN SUPER METROID.

The original Super Mario Bros, LOZelda, Metroid and the rest of Nintendo's franchises really were lessons in game design 101.

They taught you how to experiment, explore, and problem solve with each new experience.

Why can these kids not get past obstacles in Super Metroid and suck HORRIBLY and Super Mario World, but beat my ass every fucking time in Call of Duty? And then call me a N-word?

This generation already brought FPS to consoles with tens of millions embracing those trends, not surprised at all. They also tend to glorify exploration and multiple ( one-dimensional ) route/choice. Most mainstream forums rarely complains about streamlined combat, press X to be awesome, says it all.

What I don't get is how or why it happened in the first place. It certainly wasn't like this last gen. But now it seems like developers do everything in their power to make sure that you don't get stuck or even slightly frustrated with a game. Checkpoints every few steps, regenerating health, tutorials, detective modes etc.

red731

Hoo boy. The ad I have now above me is for BrainActive 100% brain stimulant and I find it kinda funny in thread like this.

Kids these day. What the hell.

televator

Filthy casuals?

The original Super Mario Bros, LOZelda, Metroid and the rest of Nintendo's franchises really were lessons in game design 101.

They taught you how to experiment, explore, and problem solve with each new experience.

I remember earlier Game Boy Zeldas being some real mind benders for High School me.

I always here people wishing they could go back and experience their favorite game for the first time.

Well 'what if' every game you played felt like the first time you ever touched a video game....

...DSPhil has managed to achieve this

That's probably a strong indication to me that I should probably take a good chunk of what he says with a grain of salt.

And perhaps an indicator of how these things can go in cycles, I'm sure some people felt similarly about Metroid Prime and Super Metroid, and a variation of it with Metroid: Other M where EVERYONE felt that way about it and Metroid Prime/Super Metroid/Probably Metroid 1.

I can kind of see were Jeff Gerstmann's argument comes from. When I look at the SNES era games in hindsight, like Super Mario World, Link to the Past and Super Metroid; these games are generally a lot easier and far more forgiving then their NES counterparts. It almost seems like the Super games were substituting challenge for a lengthier adventure and a larger size and scope. If he was looking for something with more grit to it like the original Metroid, then yeah, there is a valid complaint.

I still love Super Metroid, but when I look at it, it's really easy to blast through the game without dying once. I might even say that Super Metroid is probably the easiest of the 2D Metroid's. The original Metroid on the NES is like night and day with Super Metroid, the original NES game kept you on your toes. Metroid II on the Gameboy is a shorter game than Super, but I honestly think it was a little more challenging, I know the last boss put up a much better fight than anything in Super Metroid.

Metroid Fusion might have been on par with Super Metroid in terms of challenge, but it is a game I need to play through again to confirm that. Zero Mission did have that unlockable hard mode that made the game feel much more challenging than Metroid II, Super Metroid or Fusion. I was always disappointing that this was an unlockable mode and not something you could select right from the start, but playing the game on hardmode is where Zero Mission really shines. It also takes quite a bit of skill (and a bit of luck) to reach some of the hidden areas if you wanted to complete the game with 100%.

I get this feeling that Nintendo during the 16bit days were consciously trying to make games that were grander adventures in scale, but at the same time more accessible to people who weren't into hard core gaming. Kind of longer but yet easier to get into. Super Mario World did balance that out with secrets that were more challenging and those special star road levels for advanced players. Super Metroid balanced its easier challenge with trying to unlock 100% and speed running to get a better ending. Link to the Past kind of did the same thing, completing the game with no deaths, I suppose.

I can kind of see were Jeff Gerstmann's argument comes from. When I look at the SNES era games in hindsight, like Super Mario World, Link to the Past and Super Metroid; these games are generally a lot easier and far more forgiving then their NES counterparts. It almost seems like the Super games were substituting challenge for a lengthier adventure and a larger size and scope. If he was looking for something with more grit to it like the original Metroid, then yeah, there is a valid complaint.

I still love Super Metroid, but when I look at it, it's really easy to blast through the game without dying once. I might even say that Super Metroid is probably the easiest of the 2D Metroid's. The original Metroid on the NES is like night and day with Super Metroid, the original NES game kept you on your toes. Metroid II on the Gameboy is a shorter game than Super, but I honestly think it was a little more challenging, I know the last boss put up a much better fight than anything in Super Metroid.

Metroid Fusion might have been on par with Super Metroid in terms of challenge, but it is a game I need to play through again to confirm that. Zero Mission did have that unlockable hard mode that made the game feel much more challenging than Metroid II, Super Metroid or Fusion. I was always disappointing that this was an unlockable mode and not something you could select right from the start, but playing the game on hardmode is where Zero Mission really shines. It also takes quite a bit of skill (and a bit of luck) to reach some of the hidden areas if you wanted to complete the game with 100%.

I get this feeling that Nintendo during the 16bit days were consciously trying to make games that were grander adventures in scale, but at the same time more accessible to people who weren't into hard core gaming. Kind of longer but yet easier to get into. Super Mario World did balance that out with secrets that were more of a challenge to get too and the special star road levels for advanced players. Super Metroid balanced its easier challenge with trying to unlock 100% and speed running to get a better ending. Link to the Past kind of did the same thing, completing the game with no deaths I suppose.

The SNES also had more room to include helpful features like a map system and save options so you wouldn't have to leave the game on or use a generic password.

The game still required critical thinking. Which is lost on 90 percent of the games today.
It's easy because you LEARNED how to get past the obstacles and you remember them.

Even navigating using a map is lost on this generation.
When was the last time you NEEDED a map in a game that wasn't open world
Backtracking is considered lazy design so we gotta make sure you only move forward :/

Zaventem

I always here people wishing they could go back and experience their favorite game for the first time.

Well 'what if' every game you played felt like the first time you ever touched a video game....

...DSPhil has managed to achieve this

I tend to fuck around with controls before i even read a manual if the game has one. The worst part about DSPhil is that little passive aggressive laugh he does when he fucks up. And he continues to do what caused him to rage repeatedly instead of trying/reading a new approach. sadly he's the face of the modern gamer.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Disgusting and cringe-worthy.

I tend to fuck around with controls before i even read a manual if the game has one. The worst part about DSPhil is that little passive aggressive laugh he does when he fucks up. And he continues to do what caused him to rage repeatedly instead of trying/reading a new approach. sadly he's the face of the modern gamer.

"Whaaaat... it's not my fault"
"the controls (yes the controls) are soooo stupid

I imagine him playing Super Mario Brothers and never getting past that first goomba.

But if he actually played that growing up and he didnt have any help, he wouldnt be this bad at trying to press all the buttons at least once to see what your options are

Holy shit, that guy who "played" MGS2 also did MGS3 (over two and half hours, this one).

oh man... I gotta see his experience with The Sorrow
I wonder if he crashed the game for killing everything that moved :p

Let's not forget that Nintendo is one of the worst offenders when it comes to proliferating "don't think for yourself" game design. If these are Wii-weaned players, it's Nintendo's fault they're trained to never experiment.

Rich!

I admit, I got stuck at noob bridge back when I first played it on the SNES in the mid 90s. However, I then read the fucking manual and then tried running.

miiverse posts like the ones in the OP make me genuinely scared for how much handholding future Zelda/Metroid games will have. Skyward Sword was a "right, enough is enough" moment for me in terms of handholding. by far the most frustrating gameplay experience ever, and it could have been the opposite.

Darryl

Banned
Let's not forget that Nintendo is one of the worst offenders when it comes to proliferating "don't think for yourself" game design. If these are Wii-weaned players, it's Nintendo's fault they're trained to never experiment.

you talking about super guides or something?

Rich!

Filthy casuals?

I remember earlier Game Boy Zeldas being some real mind benders for High School me.

When I first got Link's Awakening DX, I only had a gameboy pocket. Got as far as the bottle grotto, and then came to the conclusion that the reason I couldn't progress in it was due to a lack of colour which meant I didn't know if the crystal switches were on or off. I gave up

a few weeks later I got a GBC, realised I was a fucking idiot and ended up finishing that dungeon easily. Didn't get stuck again until the face shrine.

I somehow found LA to be harder than LTTP, even though I finished LTTP when I was much younger - but I have a feeling it took a very long time. But I persevered, and had patience with it. And that's exactly the problem with this COD generation today. If they don't get instant results or gratification then they end up saying "OH GOD THIS SUCKS I GIVE UP"

Amalthea

Banned
I think that's rather the reason why they introduced hand-holding in the first place.

zoukka

I don't have a problem with casuals. But seeing those Miiverse shots I realised that next-gen will completely lose any mystery around games. You don't know what to do and you'll just ask your friends to stream/screenshot shit to you do you can proceed...

't is a sad future.

you talking about super guides or something?

LOL I hope not.

"I cant figure it out... but because Nintendo has this Super guide option they are telling me not to think for myself so it's Nintendo's fault I used it."

Maybe he's talking about Mario Party or Wii Sports because they showed you how to use the correct motion for the BRAND NEW control scheme

...But I persevered, and had patience with it.

And that's exactly the problem with this COD generation today.
If they don't get instant results or gratification then they end up saying "OH GOD THIS SUCKS I GIVE UP"

THIS!

Rich!

I don't have a problem with casuals. But seeing those Miiverse shots I realised that next-gen will completely lose any mystery around games. You don't know what to do and you'll just ask your friends to stream/screenshot shit to you do you can proceed...

't is a sad future.

How is that any different to before though? If me and my mates were stuck on games during the 90s, we'd either phone eachother and talk through or discuss it at school the next day.

In the late 90s too, we pretty much all had the internet so any difficulties on a game usually led to a cry for help via MSN or AIM with instant results.

I think it's a valid question. If she really wanted to, Metroid could just lay down on her stomach and crawl through a lot of those low ceilinged areas without needing to become a magic ball.

Rich!

I think it's a valid question. If she really wanted to, Metroid could just lay down on her stomach and crawl through a lot of those low ceilinged areas without needing to become a magic ball.

Well, she can in Zero Mission.

But either way...the entire set up of the morph ball area is designed to teach you how to use it. You've just gained a new ability, and now are trapped in that area, so the logical thing would be to use it to escape.

However the people in the OP aren't even trying. I'm so confused by it.

Madness

When is Super Mario World considered hard? I beat that shit when I was like 5+ years old. Even found a lot of the secret locations and completed those damn tubular levels. The hardest level in that star world, I still remember was the one that had numerous fire spitting flowers and those football guys.

Eusis

When is Super Mario World considered hard? I beat that shit when I was like 5+ years old. Even found a lot of the secret locations and completed those damn tubular levels. The hardest level in that star world, I still remember was the one that had numerous fire spitting flowers and those football guys.
When you casually try to get back to it after rebuying on the Wii U and somehow run out of lives on Stage 1.

I must not have been trying hard enough.

Darryl

Banned

that game killed me as a kid. never got past the second world and i played for a long time

TEJ

most of these are probably little kids, and some of you are seriously talking about genetic cleansing.......what the fuck is wrong with you?

i hate to burst bubbles but if something like the miiverse existed in the 80's and 90's you'd see stuff like this too back then.

the problem is you aren't thinking of all the kids now playing super metroid wii u vc and not posting stuff like this because they are figuring it out. because why would they post stuff like this if they had the critical thinking skills?

most of these are probably little kids, and some of you are seriously talking about genetic cleansing.......what the fuck is wrong with you?

i hate to burst bubbles but if something like the miiverse existed in the 80's and 90's you'd see stuff like this too back then.

Seriously. So many people just shitting on the new generation. Everyone's like Time magazine in here.

Grief.exe

Holy shit, that guy who "played" MGS2 also did MGS3 (over two and half hours, this one).

He keeps constantly complaing about the game not explaining things to him. But he continually ignores visual cues and even written text that is shown on the screen.

Case in point, he walks into quick sand, ignoring what his character is doing on the screen, and then complains for 5 minutes when he dies.

Ridiculous.

I would be interested to see him play through something like Dark Souls.

Madness

Nooo, not Super Mario World. That game isn't hard. The only level that was annoying is Tubular from Star Road. I remember as a kid, I struggled with this level. And somehow beat it because I kept trying and trying.

Lol, read my comment a few posts above yours.

Calvarok

Banned

the problem is you aren't thinking of all the kids now playing super metroid wii u vc and not posting stuff like this because they are figuring it out. because why would they post stuff like this if they had the critical thinking skills?

Exactly.

Do people forget that this is why guides were popular back in the day?

And also, back when I started gaming, one of my first was Yoshi's Island for the GBA. It was hard, but I perservered and got through it eventually without any guides. But the secret/extra levels? They kicked my butt. I never finished any of them. As my gaming went on, modern games like Halo still provided difficulty and forced me to think intelligently about encounters, as rushing blindly in unaware of my surroundings would likely get me killed. Assassin's Creed, while not particularly hard, required a level of finnesse and understanding of game mechanics in order to set up Assassinations in a way that was stylish, efficient, and quick. Guild Wars taught me much about tactics in RPGs, how to best build a party, create builds, and figure out the best way to defeat certain mob compositions.

And later, after learning a lot from modern games, I went back to Yoshi's Island and was able to understand more of what the game was wanting me to do. I still learned by trial and error, but age and playing other games where you learn in this way gave me patience and a keener eye to spot potential progression points. The extra levels didn't seem so hard, and I could work through them.

I garuntee that if we could play back the retro game experiences of some of the people in this thread, we could visibly see them failing over and over and over again, and getting really frustrated, and maybe even asking their friends for help or consulting a magazine or guide.

The kids haven't changed all that much, the tools they've got have.

FlyFaster

This is way modern games are so automatised and easy, we are getting dumber and dumber each year that passes by. Humanity is doomed. Repent yourself guys.

Actually, studies suggest the opposite. Humanity is getting smarter overall.

We are just exposed to more now through the internet and everything/anything that is remotely interesting is reported as news. Same stuff that's always gone on but we're just interconnected with the world more, both more deeply and more frequently.

anyway,

as others mentioned, I think we should tone it down with the rhetoric on some of these Miiverse pics. A lot of these players are young. I remember playing Super Metroid when I was younger. I can't even count how many times I got stuck. There wasn't internet to find a FAQ either!

#takingthejoketooseriously

KarmaCow

He keeps constantly complaing about the game not explaining things to him. But he continually ignores visual cues and even written text that is shown on the screen.

Case in point, he walks into quick sand, ignoring what his character is doing on the screen, and then complains for 5 minutes when he dies.

Ridiculous.

I would be interested to see him play through something like Dark Souls.

Well you're in luck?

He learned pretty quickly from his older videos that playing up the stupidity gets him views.

TEJ

#takingthejoketooseriously

ethnic/genetic cleansing is something you should never joke about. the kind of person who would take it so lightly as to joke about it frightens me a lot more than a bunch of kids who can't figure out how to play super metroid.

i know some of you internet badasses are probably going to call me a pussy for being offended about mass murder/genocide jokes.

but how detached do you have to be to ever think of it as something that would be funny?

Top Bottom