• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"y cant metroid crawl?" first time (Miiverse) players cry for help in Super Metroid

Ivan 3414

When I was five, I couldn't make it past the first few pits of the first level of Crash Bandicoot.

Some of these might be fake, but are you guys really so self-absorbed that the possibility of someone getting stuck in a puzzle in Super Metroid is obviously because of modern game hand-holding, and not because they might be a fucking kid? As if kids didn't get stuck at those points 20 years ago?

Seriously?

Wait until we get a Miiverse post from "Jon. A" stating that Super Metroid is his favorite game but he can't escape from Ceres Colony.

Maybe a lot of you beat this as kids, but this is not a game I would recommend to someone young. It really requires a lot of thinking.

That said, not knowing how to roll right after they get the morphball is pretty funny.

Tan

Not Super Metroid but...

nuKSFjz.png

I consider the Super Metroid stuff to basically be the gamefaqs of that era brought to life.

But this... this....

aaaaaaaaa

Shahadan

This is actually something that while amusing at first, makes me genuinely fascinated: will these people get the help they need and get past those trouble parts? This could really be a test for if this sort of thing can let them ease up on the handholding: you got a problem just post a picture to Miiverse and get some help!

I've hardly seen any "help me" miiverse posts without replies.
I've helped a lot of people like them today myself.

This is actually something that while amusing at first, makes me genuinely fascinated: will these people get the help they need and get past those trouble parts? This could really be a test for if this sort of thing can let them ease up on the handholding: you got a problem just post a picture to Miiverse and get some help!
It helped me. This is my first time playing Super Metroid, and I had no idea you could hold B to make Samus run. lol

I asked what to do, and within two minutes a couple people jumped in and said to hold B.

Alfredo

Even though I'm sure a lot of these are just jokes, the game doesn't really tell you how to use the morphball, right? You just pick up a glowy thing, it says "MORPHING BALL" and that's it.

You wouldn't need a "hand holdy tutorial" for that. Just say, "Press down to turn into a ball."

I bet the game comes with a digital manual, but no one knows what manuals are nowadays!

Pineconn

I've hardly seen any "help me" miiverse posts without replies.
I've helped a lot of people like them today myself.

Yeah, it was fun hanging around the ZombiU community and helping people who had questions. A lot of people were confused by the non-decoded characters on walls, including myself. :)

Shahadan

Honestly people here forget how dumb/inattentive they could be as a kid and still today.
I mean it's called Noob Bridge for a reason.

I can't imagine someone not trying every button on the pad the minute he is in control, but apparently...This is something I've noticed quite a lot even as a kid, people don't try, they need to be told what to do.

Even though I'm sure a lot of these are just jokes, the game doesn't really tell you how to use the morphball, right? You just pick up a glowy thing, it says "MORPHING BALL" and that's it.

You wouldn't need a "hand holdy tutorial" for that. Just say, "Press down to turn into a ball."

I'm pretty sure it does that in Super Metroid. I remember there even being a visual aid.

That's only the case for non essential upgrades though.

Getting at least some of the health and missile extensions really is not non-essential, not if you want to get anywhere that is...

But anyway, I don't remember the details, but I definitely remember getting stuck several times, without knowing where I should go to progress. I definitely remember some areas you had to find that were pretty well hidden... but regardless, the game basically requires that you memorize the entire map, so that when you get a powerup you know where to use it. Either that, or to re-explore everywhere every time you get one. The map's not much help for that, and the game doesn't have much helpful guide stuff like Metroid Prime, Fusion, or Zero Mission do, to tell you what direction you should be heading in. I really appreciated that Prime had that feature that told you what direction to head in... made it easier, maybe, but having to re-explore areas I've been every time I get a powerup just to check to see if there's a new area there gets frustrating.

I feel somewhat similarly about Zelda: LttP... it just doesn't give you enough clues for some of the things you are required to find (and there they really are required). Link's Awakening is a much better-designed game.

ido

It's no different from playing a game back in the glorious 16-bit days and getting stuck and asking your friend to help you figure it out.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
this is what modern games are doing to kids

hope you're happy, devs

it's your fault

RagnarokX

To be fair I can understand having trouble with the red doors. They should have made them only take 1 missile. They hint that missiles are the answer because the doors and the missiles are the same color, but making it take 5 doesn't make sense. Metroid Prime did it better.

Shahadan

Yeah, it was fun hanging around the ZombiU community and helping people who had questions. A lot of people were confused by the non-decoded characters on walls, including myself. :)

Yeah this is an useful tool. As an above poster said I was hoping Miiverse and the sharing feature of the ps4 would help to reduce handholding and stuff in future game design, but the chance is thin :(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The only reason any one of you knew what to do was because you had played Metroid before, or saw someone else play.

Or read the manual. But who needs manuals these days??

Seriously though, the game tells you to press down to activate the morph ball! It even has a nice little drawing!

Obviously kids today don't read. [shakes fist in the air]

The Morph Ball upgrade actually doesn't give you any hint as to what it does--when you grab it, the game just displays the text "Morphing Ball," offering no hint as to what it does.

If this was someone's first exposure to Metroid, this could be pretty confusing.

To be fair, the game doesn't come with an instruction manual, so it's pretty much trial-and-error to get anything to work. It actually took me a few minutes to figure out how to roll into a ball and get through that one area.

Empty

that's hilarious and a bit sad

that said you can probably make an amazing 10 minute youtube video of all the times i've been stuck in games for really dumb reasons over the years.

Talamius

The Morph Ball upgrade actually doesn't give you any hint as to what it does--when you grab it, the game just displays the text "Morphing Ball," offering no hint as to what it does.

If this was someone's first exposure to Metroid, this could be pretty confusing.

IIRC, a light turned on that followed you but was angled down. Kinda giving you a subtle hint.

Edit: Yep, in the 2nd to last pic.

MisterHero

You need to press Up Up Left B A.

That's what one kid told me to do to use fireballs in Super Mario RPG. Memories!

Top Bottom