• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

BadWolf

So far Joe feels so much worse than in XIII:

- His new kick command normals put him at a huge disadvantage, I have no idea what they were thinking.
- Slide seems nerfed for combo and quick max purposes
- Light Slash kick is no longer positive if spaced properly, seems negative at any distance
- EX moves pale in comparison to XIII's
- EX hurricane super is no longer full screen and no longer works in his BnB combos with the Slash kick

Chang is odd, he is definitely not meant to be a combo character. His normals have really long range so he's probably more poke focused like in the older games.

His damage is kind of nuts with his head butt super. In the corner do EX charge ball and then juggle with EX head super. This does 82% damage for 2 power bars. I shit you not.

EX head super done at point blank range raw does 50% damage anywhere on the screen.

Zarina is fun as heck.

Skilletor

Told you it would end up that way. ;)

Yeah...but I had to buy it. Geese/Hein/Bandeiras too strong.

Looks like I'll be able to play in-state, that's good enough for me.

Sad for KoF, though. This roster deserves to be enjoyed by and with as many people as possible.

I have a small issue I'm trying to find a way to resolve, that I could use some recommendations on. I don't play anywhere near as well on a pad as I do on a stick, but my two sticks are both super old at this point (PS2 Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 Sanwa Addition and 360 SF4 TE).

This is the first console fighter I've gotten in ages, and I was bummed that I'd be forced to play it with a pad. However, I was shocked earlier when I tested out my PS2 -> PS3 adapter and it nearly worked. The buttons were jumbled up, but they all registered and it was nothing that controller config couldn't fix. However, the stick itself doesn't register any movement whatsoever.

Does anyone know of a PS2 adapter that would actually work for this game? I can't justify getting a PS4 stick just for one game, no matter how much I love KoF.

Wow, Angel's damage is so low relative to the rest of the cast...

I tried Ramon for a match and the amount of damage he gets off of BnBs simply dwarfs what Angel can do.

Guess I'm gonna have to put in a lot more work to get results with her, or just change up my neutral to focus more on footsies and poking rather than rushdown and mixups.

C-Sword

I have a small issue I'm trying to find a way to resolve, that I could use some recommendations on. I don't play anywhere near as well on a pad as I do on a stick, but my two sticks are both super old at this point (PS2 Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 Sanwa Addition and 360 SF4 TE).

This is the first console fighter I've gotten in ages, and I was bummed that I'd be forced to play it with a pad. However, I was shocked earlier when I tested out my PS2 -> PS3 adapter and it nearly worked. The buttons were jumbled up, but they all registered and it was nothing that controller config couldn't fix. However, the stick itself doesn't register any movement whatsoever.

Does anyone know of a PS2 adapter that would actually work for this game? I can't justify getting a PS4 stick just for one game, no matter how much I love KoF.

http://videogamesnewyork.com/ps2-to-ps3-ps4-controller-converter-p4-sbk/

1508199913__39220.1441740037.1280.1280.png

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
You probably need to wait for the application data to install. Mine's doing the same thing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Online experience so far with 15 matches in ranked:

5 full speed, minimal input delay
8 slowed down to about 70% full speed, minimal delay
2 very slow, still no terrible delay, but pausing to try and sync clients every so often.

Alleged connection quality in terms of bars not even relevant, a four bar player was the worst, a two bar player was flawless. I'm on the east coast US, and opened matching to all regions.

When it's running a bit slower than full speed, but smooth with no extra input delay, it was actually enjoyable to play, though obviously not the "real thing". Unfortunately I'm not sure how much they can do with it, if they're going to stick with delay-based netcode. You either keep it running full speed and suffer terrible input delay which makes doing anything impossible, or you progressively slow the game speed down but preserve reasonable inputs so the player can actually do combos and stuff.

Coda

Just played through story mode to gain some confidence on how the game is played. Starting to get it better now, loving MuiMui, Ramon and Geese thus far. Geese is so crazy good!

Post Office

Neo Member
more opinions about the netcode?

I played for about an hour online. The netcode is very inconsistent (playing from mid-southern east coast). Played a few dudes with 3 bars with minimal issues then played someone with 4 bars and it was lag city. I don't really understand it at this point.

I played for about an hour online. The netcode is very inconsistent (playing from mid-southern east coast). Played a few dudes with 3 bars with minimal issues then played someone with 4 bars and it was lag city. I don't really understand it at this point.

gonna hold my money until this is solved :/

Hellsing

Game is fun, until I went online. Horrible slown down during the matches vs flawless matches in SFV a few minutes earlier. I'm pretty sure it isn't just me, is it? Really trying to get into this game but idk so far. I need the online to be good.

I'm done for today but if anyone wants some games tomorrow. Add me it's GiygasXLR on PSN. If you need help learning I don't mind helping people get a grasp of the game. I'm not a pro or anything but this isn't my first KOF, and I have tried to get people into the series before and noticed some hangups some might have in getting the basics down compared to other fighters.

Should add that I live in Austin, TX.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Why can Clark land his UABB from a full stand C distance? LoL. His DM->SDM Path is with his Running 3 into SDM UABB.

Made a video showing that Vice now has anywhere juggle on her Overkill DM and SDM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9GvMmJlzlI This also means she can land it after an EX Gorefest, which I'm happy to see.

The game hasn't arrived yet, but I played a bunch of versus rounds against my friend in Share Play and I had a hell of a time.

It was a lot of fun.

So, of the people who've played online a lot, how often is a bad match four bars? Anecdotally I've noticed that in my case and others four bars are more likely to be bad, and I'm curious if that's an actual fact.

Amedo310

I rather play ps4 last blade 2 online than this game. It was more playable. All my matches online felt like I was playing underwater.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Online netcode is fucking trash if you don't have an offline scene you're fucked. How does SNK screw up online yet again.

Xevren

Really sucks to hear about the online, haven't tried it yet. Having a blast just trying out all the characters and playing with a couple people offline. Really hope they'll be vocal in regards to making it better...

Edzi

This game is a lot more fun than I thought it'd be, but I'm really bummed about the netcode. I hope there's a patch/fix for it soon, since I don't see myself sticking with it too long if it remains this bad.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
D'awww, Nelson has the "While Running" version of the Igurazu Otoshi that goes at a diagonal when launched from a dash, just like Hanzo! (TT_TT) Don't see that mentioned anywhere, but it's great to see.

So many command normals work off lights in this game. It feels like more people have access to a Kyo-style DF+D for combo consistency, of Iori's f+LP, and that's just great for many of the cast to have this easier access string of confirms to work with.

Chang is odd, he is definitely not meant to be a combo character. His normals have really long range so he's probably more poke focused like in the older games.

His damage is kind of nuts with his head butt super. In the corner do EX charge ball and then juggle with EX head super. This does 82% damage for 2 power bars. I shit you not.

I think the opponent can tech roll before the second part of Chang's headbutt super hits them. If they don't...then yeah, that's 82%.

EDIT: Oh, you do the super right after the EX lunging ball. I see. Well, that does look legit.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hrm...want to unlock endings but it takes so long to go through story mode to witness them. Wish they went with 4-5 teams to push through instead of 8 + 2 bosses. With three fighters to take down each match it just feels real bloated. just felt I spent an hour playing to see one ending.

So far really enjoying the feel and mechanics of this game, but sad to hear the netcode is jank. I still don't think the graphics style is really doing it for me, but I will say that animation work is still very top notch... Just hope the detail and modeling work gets improved in SNK's next outing.

Hope netcode fixes are in order, then maybe a few new characters (on an already large-scale and well-rounded cast)...

... SNK, I'm still waiting on some Rock Howard action. :p

Top Bottom