• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Matt Frost

Holy fuck, Laurence is OP, he makes Ludwig look light weight

Damn, not what I want to read right now... after a hunter's nightmare (pun intended xD) I finally reached Ludwig... he seems soft I thought... until his second form... the Moon Sword thing, that thing has 120,000 souls of mine, had to go to work... is soooo hard, kills you in one strike. Damn, if Lawrence is way harder than Ludwig I am in A LOT of trouble.

The hunters of the first area are like special enemies, way harder than the rest of regular enemies (saving a big grunt type guys in the final area). There's not a lot of them though.

Great to hear this, some good news, appreciated. Damn Ludwig...

Ferr986

Damn, not what I want to read right now... after a hunter's nightmare (pun intended xD) I finally reached Ludwig... he seems soft I thought... until his second form... the Moon Sword thing, that thing has 120,000 souls of mine, had to go to work... is soooo hard, kills you in one strike. Damn, if Lawrence is way harder than Ludwig I am in A LOT of trouble.

Great to hear this, some good news, appreciated. Damn Ludwig...

2nd form should be easier than first. It's more telegraphed and less chaotic.

Most important is 1) hug the fuck out of him, being close to him will make her beams totally miss you.
2) always try to stand in his back. It's a matter of rolling through his sword swings while always heading behind him to hit him.

When he puts his sword up in the air, he's gonna do that charged attack, again, run behind him. And when he puts his sword on the flor, he's gonna do an AoE attack, so run far from him. But after that get close to him again.

He can be staggered after enough damage, and riposted for big damage (you'll have to to his head while being staggered)

Btw, he shouldn't kill you in only one hit, how many VIT you have?

Matt Frost

2nd form should be easier than first. It's more telegraphed and less chaotic.

Most important is 1) hug the fuck out of him, being close to him will make her beams totally miss you.
2) always try to stand in his back. It's a matter of rolling through his sword swings while always heading behind him to hit him.

When he puts his sword up in the air, he's gonna do that charged attack, again, run behind him. And when he puts his sword on the flor, he's gonna do an AoE attack, so run far from him. But after that get close to him again.

He can be staggered after enough damage, and riposted for big damage (you'll have to to his head while being staggered)

Btw, he shouldn't kill you in only one hit, how many VIT you have?

Thanks a lot for the tips Ferr, much much appreciated, will try later at home. I will follow your advice.

I have VIT 31, is that way too low?

Ferr986

Thanks a lot for the tips Ferr, much much appreciated, will try later at home. I will follow your advice.

I have VIT 31, is that way too low?

I would aim for atleast 40ish IMO. The 2nd softcap is at 50 although you can go with less. But 30 probably won't cut if you're interested in doing Depth 5 Chalices. Obviously HP is very dependant and some people go with more and some with less.

You could also try to stack HP runes (Clockwise metamorphosis runes) for an HP boost if you haven't.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't have any insight to ring it lol
?
You don't need insight to ring it. You need insight to ring the Beckoning Bell, which is to call for help. To offer help to others, ring the Small Resonant Bell, it doesn't cost anything. You can then help players and if you help them defeat the boss you get insight.

...If you mean you don't have enough insight to buy it from the messengers, then... um yeah, you need to either discover a new area/boss or consume a Madman's Knowledge.

Matt Frost

I would aim for atleast 40ish IMO. The 2nd softcap is at 50 although you can go with less. But 30 probably won't cut if you're interested in doing Depth 5 Chalices. Obviously HP is very dependant and some people go with more and some with less.

You could also try to stack HP runes (Clockwise metamorphosis runes) for an HP boost if you haven't.

I lost SO MANY souls already, SO MANY, I am a bad player who need a lot of potions, but Bloodborne is SO AMAZINGLY GOOD that I endure and persist a lot of pain... well, my stats:

Vit 31
End 31
STR 40
Skill 12
Blood 8
Arcane 7

I guess I am underleveled for the DLC

The God

?
You don't need insight to ring it. You need insight to ring the Beckoning Bell, which is to call for help. To offer help to others, ring the Small Resonant Bell, it doesn't cost anything. You can then help players and if you help them defeat the boss you get insight.

...If you mean you don't have enough insight to buy it from the messengers, then... um yeah, you need to either discover a new area/boss or consume a Madman's Knowledge.
I have absolutely no insight. Where can I farm Madman's Knowledge?

Ferr986

I lost SO MANY souls already, SO MANY, I am a bad player who need a lot of potions, but Bloodborne is SO AMAZINGLY GOOD that I endure and persist a lot of pain... well, my stats:

Vit 31
End 31
STR 40
Skill 12
Blood 8
Arcane 7

I guess I am underleveled for the DLC

You're not that bad if you reached endgame :)

Your stats seems fine for a STR focused build. You reached STR softcap of 40, so no point on putting more levels there.
End at 31 seems fine to me (hell I even roll with less) but that's on to you, if you feel like you need more stamina or not.

So it's either level VIT or SKL if you're using a Quality weapon (weapon that scales with bot STR and SKL decently).

Btw, you said you lost 100.000 souls to Ludwig. Aren't you teleporting back to spend your souls when you reach a lamp? You should aways go back to the Hunter's dream everytime you reach a lamp to use your souls IMO. No reason to run around unknow areas with a big load of souls.

OoK is fucking ridiculous

Yeah, worst part is that there's really no good stra other than get really good at dodging. Dude's the hardest boss in all Soulborne games.

Those slug like monster from Upper Cathedral can drop them. Also, ring your bell for co-op (the one to get summoned, not the one for summon). Every time you beat a boss in coop you get insight.

EDIT: I see you didn't understand Morrigan. She said to ring the bell to get you summoned to other worlds, so you help other players and get insight after defeating a boss. You don't need insight for that.
It's your only choice, because the farm spot for Madman Knowledge is an endgame area.

gwailo

Banned

I don't think you can farm it, at least I haven't had enemies drop it up to Old Yarnham. You can find it on some of the corpses lying around.

So the past three days have been productive. I beat the first boss
Cleric Beast
and
father gascoigne
. Both were tough AF, but my god the feeling of accomplishment. I'm so hooked on this game. More so than Demon Souls or Dark Souls 1. I can't say I've mastered combat or dodging but I'm trying. But geez this game wants me to be agressive and throw myself at enemies whether I can beat them or not. It's brutal and sado masochistic but I'm constantly thinking about this game.

The God

Nvm that, it's an area you can't reach yet.

To get Insight, your only way is to ring the bell to get you summoned into other worlds, and help the host beat a boss. You don't need insight to ring that bell.

Yeah but I need insight to buy the bell, I have none.

lost to fucking kos again, cant seem to parry him at all, and trying to do that move when the opponents on his knees is too short a window

Ferr986

Yeah but I need insight to buy the bell, I have none.

Check the wiki page and look for any Madman Knowledge item yhat you may have missed in the areas you already cleared

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Madman's+Knowledge

lost to fucking kos again, cant seem to parry him at all, and trying to do that move when the opponents on his knees is too short a window

I honeslt gave up on trying to parry him and fought him regular style. Especially 2nd phase is hard to get a parry.

I keep getting fucked by the Blood Starved Beast. I let Alfred down :(
Need some help?
tool 15 health potions to get kos down to his second form
Yeah he is one of the hardest bosses IMO including the Souls series as well. Keep trying! Take a break if you have to. Taking a break and coming back often help me on hard bosses. I almost always kill a hard boss on my first 2-3 attempts after a break. Try not to get to frustrated :p

The God

Need some help?

Yeah he is one of the hardest bosses IMO including the Souls series as well. Keep trying! Take a break if you have to. Taking a break and coming back often help me on hard bosses. I almost always kill a hard boss on my first 2-3 attempts after a break. Try not to get to frustrated :p

Thanks but I don't have any insight to summon you lol

gwailo

Banned
Any particular reason you need Insight right now?

If not, just keep playing. You'll be swimming in the stuff eventually.

I think he is trying to get some so he can summon people or Alfred to help with the Blood Starved Beast fight.

IIRC there are a couple of corpses with Madman's Knowledge in the large room with an altar in Old Yarnham. One is on the ground and another is on one of the rafters.

jonjonaug

I have every ranged weapon at my disposal, whats the best for high parry chance? and does fortifying a ranged weapon effect parry chances?
Fortifying doesn't affect anything, only your timing.

The pistol and blunderbuss are your best bets. The pistol is just a bit faster while the higher spread of the blunderbuss gives you better accuracy when hitting smaller/faster enemies and is more reliable at knocking foes out of their attack animation if your timing isn't perfect.

BSB advice: If you have some on you, the blood cocktails will distract the boss and let you get some hits in. Useful for the last phase where it goes berserk. Example: http://youtube.com/watch?v=C5gF1FAlvjA

myco666

tool 15 health potions to get kos down to his second form

Take a break. That does wonders. I also would suggest to just cut off your vial usage until you figure the boss out so you won't dry out so fast.

General tips for the boss are just to be patient and look for the moments you can punish big time. First phase has bunch of moments where you can get charged R2 > VA for really high damage. You can't really do that in second phase unless you are really on point with your R2 charges so just hit few times and dodge.

The pistol is better because it's faster IMO. Blunderbuss have better range.

Are you sure about those? Aren't all firearms equally fast and Pistol style has more range compared to blunderbuss?

The God

Gotcha'.

Have you purchased the Hunter Chief Emblem from the Hunter's Dream? It's 10,000 blood echoes, but if you'd like to do some exploring and come back to the BSB later, that's an option.

I just need tips to defeat him. I can get to his second form and then he starts doing that oneshot grab bs

SDR-UK

I just need tips to defeat him. I can get to his second form and then he starts doing that oneshot grab bs

Throw a Pungent Blood Cocktail at the wall and he will go crazy attacking that. Meanwhile, buff your weapon of choice with fire and just hack away at him whilst he's going crazy on the wall. Just repeat the process throughout the fight and you get an easy win.

Matt Frost

You're not that bad if you reached endgame :)

Your stats seems fine for a STR focused build. You reached STR softcap of 40, so no point on putting more levels there.
End at 31 seems fine to me (hell I even roll with less) but that's on to you, if you feel like you need more stamina or not.

So it's either level VIT or SKL if you're using a Quality weapon (weapon that scales with both STR and SKL decently).

Btw, you said you lost 100.000 souls to Ludwig. Aren't you teleporting back to spend your souls when you reach a lamp? You should always go back to the Hunter's dream every time you reach a lamp to use your souls IMO. No reason to run around unknown areas with a big load of souls.

Thanks for the kind words :) I did my best, was really hard, but managed somehow. Persistency is the key word here. Well, I use Ludwig's Holy Sword (+9) and Saw Cleaver (+10), hope they fit into the Quality category. I can do a second run without at the core game to get even better, the game is so much fun I can do it without hesitation. That way I will be more prepared for DLC, NG+...

As for the souls, I just run into boss fights without knowing they are there. Like all of a sudden a beast appears and I am like: Damn, I should have gone and leveled up. First run newbie that steps on the same rock over and over. Second time I hope it will be different. Happened with all the bosses except a few (rooftop of Cainhurst, Orphanage and Amygdala). Next time I have so many souls I will go to the Hunter's Dream. I will try to remember. But I didn't lose them, yet. I know they are there, I just have to get out of work and beat him.

I also had some help from friends, more like a guide because they tend to die, they are used to their health and when they are with me they get nerfed and I have to kill them. Also, Bloodborne changes a lot when playing with other people.

The God

Throw a Pungent Blood Cocktail at the wall and he will go crazy attacking that. Meanwhile, buff your weapon of choice with fire and just hack away at him whilst he's going crazy on the wall. Just repeat the process throughout the fight and you get an easy win.

Guess I need to farm because I used all those up on my previous attempts

Yeah, this is good advice if you want to beat him right now. I suggested buying the Hunter Chief Emblem because it sometimes helps to get some space between you and a tough boss. Once you come back, you might be surprised at how much better you are.

Top Bottom