• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

Does this thing look comfortable to anyone else? The fact that I can grip the entire body actually is appealing for long gameplay sessions.

I'm intrigued, I really want to hold it before I consider a purchase. Might be nice..

gkryhewy

Honestly this looks like a nice piece of hardware to me. Expect it to sell gangbusters, but it does need more color variants. The white looks great.

How strange people would defend this. Of all the things they could do to improve or make the system desirable (to kids even) this isn't worth any praise.

I suppose we'll see however.

Ghazi

I am warming up to this thing so much, I was thinking about returning my 3DS XL to get one of these, but I'll just buy it and keep the XL.

The only thing that sucks is that I can't have all my DD games on both :(

Caramello

I have a 3DS and I actually like the look of this a lot more.

Feels like such a breath of fresh air and looks far more comfortable too.

Ajioss

With this annouce Nintendo confimed that it don't give a sh** anymore about making great 3D games. I don't see why i should bother to buy a 3DS now.

It is a beautiful monstrosity!

I absolutely love it.

It's like GCN/GBA era designs being given new life. And for only $129. I think 2DS is going to put this handheld line on a much higher trajectory than it is currently on. Maybe not the DS 50+ million in America but much higher than it is currently positioned.

edit: I'll have one sooner than later myself. I never liked the 3D screen (yes it has its uses, but it always made my eyes hurt) and it's cheap!

If only I could get a white one with purple. Wait... I need a purple translucent one to go with my launch GBA.

Gruso

I genuinely like it. It's a coffee table system!

SP7B6s4.jpg

I've been tempted by the 3DS, but two aspects of it that have never interested me are (i) the 3D itself and (ii) carrying it around everywhere (I'm in my 30s, yo). The 2DS is a strange and unexpected fit.

RM8

I've been tempted by the 3DS, but two aspects of it that have never interested me are (i) the 3D itself and (ii) carrying it around everywhere (I'm in my 30s, yo). The 2DS is a strange and unexpected fit.
You can turn off the 3D on a 3DS, and you are not required to carry it anywhere :D

I also have seen women that could be your mother playing Animal Crossing on the train. It's also not hideous!

Gruso

You can turn off the 3D on a 3DS, and you are not required to carry it anywhere :D
Heh, yeah I know :) But the 2DS not selling these features kind of speaks to me.

I also should retract my comment about being in my 30s. It might be insulting to fellow crones who are simply more comfortable in their gamer skin than I am.

Luth1en

Well, that... that's cool... I guess. It's super ugly though. I know many will say that the loss of 3D isn't a big deal, but so many games on the 3DS benefit from it.

Well, I can't see 3D so I can hardly benefit from that and don't like paying a premium for something I can't see. If that thing wasn't so fucking ugly, I'd love to buy it.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I don't think anyone likes playing games on a slice of pizza but this hideous thing looks like it's better built than the original 3DS. I might just pick one up to play some Pokemans. I don't get why Nintendo has to release such terrible colors though. Is asking for an all black system too much?

watershed

Banned
The white looks quite nice. For some reason the 2DS makes me excited for what Nintendo's next handheld will be, be it a 3ds revision or their next gen handheld.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess here's another question.

If this is supposed to be the "bargain" device for children, why aren't old DS games on the eShop for 1 to 5 dollars?

BowieZ

Banned
The white looks quite nice. For some reason the 2DS makes me excited for what Nintendo's next handheld will be, be it a 3ds revision or their next gen handheld.
I'm hoping for a two-pillar design approach: Fisher-Price kids design and sleek for teen/adult

watershed

Banned
I'm hoping for a two-pillar design approach: Fisher-Price kids design and sleek for teen/adult

I'm kind of curious to see Nintendo abandon the clamshell design and go back to the slab/one screen handhelds of yesteryear. Kind of like if the 2ds only had one screen that can simulate 2 displays for backwards compatibility, and no 3d.

One of my friends who is super into COD and Counter Strike came over today and said he was buying one. He's one of the least likely people I'd ever expect to want this. Good job, Nintendo, good job.

Ahmed360

Nah, just tried with my OG 3DS, no problems at all. It should be even easier to do so on the 2DS since Nintendo gave it rounded corners. And it's also very similar to the Wii U shoulder buttons, meaning tapping on the side is enough to trigger a input.

2ds_holding62b8y.jpg

Looking beautiful in this Photo ! (*_*) I waaaaant

Labrys

Probably going to import one later for JP only games, it doesn't look THAT bad.
Hoping for a pink/white color scheme, so it matches my XL.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I actually want this ASAP. The only thing that's bugging me is that I won't be able to fold it and slip it into my pocket like the current models and one less speaker. Not too bad though since I can just slip it into my laptop bag.

Nah, just tried with my OG 3DS, no problems at all. It should be even easier to do so on the 2DS since Nintendo gave it rounded corners. And it's also very similar to the Wii U shoulder buttons, meaning tapping on the side is enough to trigger a input.

2ds_holding62b8y.jpg
I don't care what anyone says, that white one looks really good. Certainly not "ugliest console ever". But, I guess opinions and all that.

Top Bottom