• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hudson Q&A session now in progress

Vinnk said:
Were you surprised with the Famitsu scored for Deca Sports? I was. The game was really fun at TGS.

Quite frankly, I come to accept that the hardcore gaming media tends to score casual games lower. Famitsu also scored our Kororinpa game averagely (is that a word?), and yet it's one of the games that people say they love the most.

Deca Sports is shaping up to be our biggest game of the year. Even bigger than Bomberman Live. Our testing shows that the typical Wii owner loves the game even more than Wii Sport. Mainly because we offer up 10 full sports, as well as much deeper gameplay that appeases the more dedicated sports gamer. Or as I like to put it, Wii Sports was the appetizer, get ready for the main course:) The game plays really well, has replaced Bomberman Live as the choice game people play on their breaks in the office.

Ironically, even though the US previews have been pretty positive so far, I don't think the game will score well, because of the typical complaints of Wii games - Graphics, too simple, etc. Let's see what happens! You got the preview so far up on Gamespot, we'll see what happens with the review! The game is coming out in May, so it's right around the corner now.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/decasporta/index.html?tag=result;title;0

Jonnyram

Vinnk said:
Were you surprised with the Famitsu scored for Deca Sports? I was. The game was really fun at TGS.
I don't remember Famitsu ever giving Hudson games a decent score - probably due to lack of advertising from said company.

Ranger X said:
Do i hear Kororinpa performed shitty in NA and that Hudson think it's casual player that bought the game?
I totally can see that game not selling well but if anything, i'd bet it's hardcore gamers that bought that game. (including me!!) That simply is my second favorite Wii game right after Galaxy. Also, the release was so subtle anyways that i'd bet the buyers were people in the know. People that are looking more into game releases and carefully plan they purshases, follows GAF and other gaming forums, etc. (aka hardcore gamers)

Kororinpa is one of the Wii games on my wanted list, but I have to admit that the US cover does look very unattractive and bland to me, -especially- compared to the PAL/Japan one, which is one of the best box arts ever in my opinion. The font and the basic appearance of the NTSC-US version makes it sound like a shovelware title.

img4544526.jpg
250px-Kororinpa_Wii_PAL.jpg

Ranger X said:
Do i hear Kororinpa performed shitty in NA and that Hudson think it's casual player that bought the game?
I totally can see that game not selling well but if anything, i'd bet it's hardcore gamers that bought that game. (including me!!) That simply is my second favorite Wii game right after Galaxy. Also, the release was so subtle anyways that i'd bet the buyers were people in the know. People that are looking more into game releases and carefully plan they purshases, follows GAF and other gaming forums, etc. (aka hardcore gamers)

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. The game actually sold very well, we ran out of inventory not expecting it. But yes, it tends attract a gamer that appreciates the more casual nature of a game like this. No explosions. No bosses. No massive combo system. Or HD graphics.

I was actually referring to game reviewers who tend to score casual games lower. As they do games oriented towards females and kids. Not that I'm bashing game reviewers, but they don't tend to review games based on who the they think the game is designed for. They only review based on their perspective. I remember working on SpongeBob before and those games would consistently sell millions, and kids would consistently rank the game the highest in focus group testing. Yet try finding one version that scored above an 80%.

But I'm glad to see you LOVED Kororinpa. I think you'll be happy again in the next year!

Vinnk

John Master Lee said:
Quite frankly, I come to accept that the hardcore gaming media tends to score casual games lower. Famitsu also scored our Kororinpa game averagely (is that a word?), and yet it's one of the games that people say they love the most.

Deca Sports is shaping up to be our biggest game of the year. Even bigger than Bomberman Live. Our testing shows that the typical Wii owner loves the game even more than Wii Sport. Mainly because we offer up 10 full sports, as well as much deeper gameplay that appeases the more dedicated sports gamer. Or as I like to put it, Wii Sports was the appetizer, get ready for the main course:) The game plays really well, has replaced Bomberman Live as the choice game people play on their breaks in the office.

Ironically, even though the US previews have been pretty positive so far, I don't think the game will score well, because of the typical complaints of Wii games - Graphics, too simple, etc. Let's see what happens! You got the preview so far up on Gamespot, we'll see what happens with the review! The game is coming out in May, so it's right around the corner now.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/decasporta/index.html?tag=result;title;0

Yeah. I visited the Hudson booth a few different times so I could try the 3 different sports they had at the show. Badminton was my favorite. I am really looking forward to seeing how the other sports turned out.

Can you say anything about the character creation interface you will be using. I know, it doesn't use Miis (or at least it didn't) but what type of customization can we expect?

Icarus

Jiggy37 said:
I can't think of a top 5, but my top 3 are surely, surely Star Soldier, Neutopia, and Bomberman in some order.

Ohh, I forgot Neutopia. Good one.

I'll throw in a vote for Ninja Spirit as well.

splattergnome said:
Kororinpa is one of the Wii games on my wanted list, but I have to admit that the US cover does look very unattractive and bland to me, -especially- compared to the PAL/Japan one, which is one of the best box arts ever in my opinion. The font and the basic appearance of the NTSC-US version makes it sound like a shovelware title.

img4544526.jpg
250px-Kororinpa_Wii_PAL.jpg

Ha ha! Boy that brings back memories! We had some HUGE debates on what to do with the cover! While the Japanese version really captures a subtle charm, when we tested it for the US, people thought it was too esoteric. They had no clue what the game was about. And for a game that needs to pull people in to buy at the retail level, where many casual gamers buy by impulse, we needed a cover that clearly explained what type of game it was. It's a marble rolling game. Need to have that on the cover. So that became the final decision.

That being said, we did run out of time in the end, and had to settle on that particular design, which is just a bit too colorful.

It's fascinating to see what choices go into making a game presentable, the ads, the messaging, the packaging. The Japanese have a very different approach to box art design than the US. They tend to treat it as artwork, stirring up more of an emotion. The US tends to go more for action shots, which tends to stir up more of a adrenaline reaction.

We also had a big debate about the title, since no one could pronounce it in the US:) We eventually settled on a subtitle for that. BTW - the title KORORINPA is the sound of a marble rolling around in Japanese.

Polari

Vinnk said:
Yeah. I visited the Hudson booth a few different times so I could try the 3 different sports they had at the show. Badminton was my favorite. I am really looking forward to seeing how the other sports turned out.

Can you say anything about the character creation interface you will be using. I know, it doesn't use Miis (or at least it didn't) but what type of customization can we expect?

I wouldn't read too much into the Famitsu score, most outlets didn't score Wii Sports that favourably and as we all know when it comes to that one, the rest is history. As far as Gamespot is concerned, they nailed the controls and that's usually the biggest issue where Wii is concerned.

John Master Lee said:
But I'm glad to see you LOVED Kororinpa. I think you'll be happy again in the next year!
That's going up on the news sites.

Anyways, thanks very much for being here and answering questions and such. I would like to know about Hudson's non TG-16 library hitting the VC. So far there's only been a precious few of Hudson's great many non-Duo games have hit the service. Where's Hagane, Super Bomberman(s), Star Soldier 64 (I'd buy it), Super Adventure Island, etc.

Also, I'm another guy who would gladly snap up any compilation of the CG/PS2 Duo remakes. That Star Soldier/Lode Runner/Bonk/Adventure Island stuff looked fairly nifty.

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to visit and answer questions. That is something that many other companies can learn something from, since it does show that you are listening to what your fans say and respond to some of our concerns.

Is there any possibility of Adventure Island 4 being localized for the US VC? From everything I have read, that one changed directions from its previous three outings towards a slightly more Wonderboy-esque action-adventure game, and it would help fulfill some of the demand for a "new" Adventure Island.

Well folks, that's about it for me today. Time for bed, where I dream about games. It's a never ending cycle.

I'm sure most of your other questions will be answered eventually in some other Q&A session.

Peace!

Narag

John Master Lee said:
Well folks, that's about it for me today. Time for bed, where I dream about games. It's a never ending cycle.

I'm sure most of your other questions will be answered eventually in some other Q&A session.

Peace!

Thanks for your time!

batbeg

Thanks for all of that John, some cool stuff was found out through all that! Especially what Kororinpa means in Japan, that's really cool :lol

Enk

makes good threads.
Hmm, dodging the Ys and Bonk questions. This could be a glimmer of hope but personally I would love to see a return of the Xanadu/ Dragon Slayer series. That's probably wishful thinking though (HD remake of Faxanadu *drooooool*).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
RIght, just wanted to post this here to refute something typed in this thread: on the matter of Star Solider R:

ESRB Watch

Star Soldier R Hudson Entertainment Inc E Fantasy Violence Wii

Oops. it looks like that game IS coming to North America after all.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Enk said:
Hmm, dodging the Ys and Bonk questions. This could be a glimmer of hope but personally I would love to see a return of the Xanadu/ Dragon Slayer series. That's probably wishful thinking though (HD remake of Faxanadu *drooooool*).
Both Xanadu and Legend of Heroes are current in Japan. They're Falcom properties, not Hudson and they're generally PC only. The newest Legend of Heroes trilogy has been released on the PSP but no American company wants to bring it over because the amount of text in them is massive. Like, we won't get our returns on the cost of translation massive.

Xanadu Next. YouTube it. <3

RetroMG

Damn, too late. I really wanted to know if there was anything he could tell me about Joysound for Wii, specifically about a US release.

I needs my Karaoke.

soco

i know that Dungeon Explorer for XBLA has been shelved, but are there any plans to bring another version to the console? possibly even just an enhanced version of the 2nd one through emulation?

Top Bottom