• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

holygeesus

Banned
Yes, you still do see ABL even at low oled light level on the 2016's. That was a huge problem for them, just go ask D-Nice about that ;)

On the 2016's if you setup the picture for 150 nits the full screen would still dim down a lot.

I am not comparing tvs by how much they cost right now, just what the new ones improvements have brought on. Cleveland plasma has the 55c7 at $2400 right now, the 55B6 is going for 1600, so not as big of a price difference.

I don't need to ask anyone. I own a B6 and fortunately don't notice ABL even with OLED Light in the 60s. Not saying it doesn't happen, but obviously some people are more susceptible to noticing it.

And I was referring to UK prices. 3,000 currently for the C7 versus 1,600 for the B/C6. If you can wait for the new range to drop, then sure, nobody is denying they are better, just not 1400 notes better (IMO)

TheBoss1

What's interesting is that Samsung are allowing other companies to use their QD technology. According to FlatPanelsHD, their tech can be used for both LCD and OLED. It makes me wonder if it can make OLED screens brighter without raising black levels since it's a filter/film and not a backlight system. Would LG and other OLED sellers be interested in this filter?

If I had to go based on the price of Samsung's new sets, this would make OLED sets skyrocket in price which would only be feasible for millionaires.

vpance

What's interesting is that Samsung are allowing other companies to use their QD technology. According to FlatPanelsHD, their tech can be used for both LCD and OLED. It makes me wonder if it can make OLED screens brighter without raising black levels since it's a filter/film and not a backlight system. Would LG and other OLED sellers be interested in this filter?

If I had to go based on the price of Samsung's new sets, this would make OLED sets skyrocket in price which would only be feasible for millionaires.

OLED will have their own way to increase color volume. A film would decrease their brightness I think.

Weird to see the new Samsungs flub on brightness compared to last year's (except for the Q9 which hits over 2000 nits). Also there's such a big difference between dynamic and normal mode - 1700 vs 1200.

I'm curious to see LG's 2017 LED reviews. I've seen none so far. There's the UJ series (entry level) and SJ series (their 'Nano Cell' tech).

Jigolo

That ain't samsung's tech

shockdude

OLED will have their own way to increase color volume. A film would decrease their brightness I think.

Weird to see the new Samsungs flub on brightness compared to last year's (except for the Q9 which hits over 2000 nits). Also there's such a big difference between dynamic and normal mode - 1700 vs 1200.
Rtings said that Samsung was investigating the Q7F's brightness being below specification last month. Have there been any updates on that since then?

TheBoss1

Interesting.
the sony sounds beast, but i thought input lag was in the 50s? if true, that's a no go
1080P: ~45 ms
4K: ~28 ms
That ain't samsung's tech
Well Samsung bought the company designing such tech so how is it not their own again?
Rtings said that Samsung was investigating the Q7F's brightness being below specification last month. Have there been any updates on that since then?
Yeah, it still sucks.

Nope. They tested 2 units, Samsung's engineers went to their office to validate the tests and so they did.

They said they'd look into this but so far no response.

vpance

Dunno, but I think they got 2 duds. The tests were way low.

Nonetheless at best it will be like the Q8 above and still be dimmer than the KS8000.

Colors looks very good though, so that's a positive.

TheBoss1

Dunno, but I think they got 2 duds. The tests were way low.

Nonetheless at best it will be like the Q8 above and still be dimmer than the KS8000.

Colors looks very good though, so that's a positive.

What's the chance that they were 2 duds ordering from Amazon, just like us?

Madness

the sony sounds beast, but i thought input lag was in the 50s? if true, that's a no go

4k/60 and HDR is 28-29ms.

Very rare. They even brought Samsung engineers who verified the tests were correct and the screens were not defective. This is Samsung we are talking about. Quality assurance has gone out the window with exploding phones and televisions that have back panels come unglued within weeks.

Very rare. They even brought Samsung engineers who verified the tests were correct and the screens were not defective. This is Samsung we are talking about. Quality assurance has gone out the window with exploding phones and televisions that have back panels come unglued within weeks.

I know I've said it before, but people need to know that Samsung's customer service is garbage. I'll never buy another product from them after my experience with a faulty KS8000.

vpance

Not unusual I think. Samsung has poor QC so you may need to play the panel lottery game. The screens were probably defective but they just couldn't admit it for PR reasons.

Madness

I know I've said it before, but people need to know that Samsung's customer service is garbage. I'll never buy another product from them after my experience with a faulty KS8000.

Lol, when the price dropped even further on the KS8000, I was given such attitude by Lashonda the customer service rep about how they wouldn't refund the tax on the difference. I didn't complain much but she just went off.

If it wasn't for price I would have been waiting for a B6 or would have purchased an X930E this year. Cant ever beat 65" for $1079 though. I was deathly afraid though I would end up with a lemon. So far only one corner has come unglued too so I have been luckier than most. But I used to love Samsung but I very rarely like to recommend them these days.

J-Rzez

Saw the A1E. Compared it directly to an E7. Unless Rtings and people find some odd serious flaws, im getting the A1E for sure. Its motion handling is superb.

wege12

To those of you with OLEDs, is it worth $450 for a professional calibration from some of the best on AVS forums?

I don't think it is. $450 is a lot of money for someone to calibrate your screen with settings you may not even enjoy. It's 41% of the cost I paid for my OLED. Not a good deal in my opinion.

To those of you with OLEDs, is it worth $450 for a professional calibration from some of the best on AVS forums?

To me it's worth it for peace of mind alone. If I'm watching a movie and something looks a little off I never have to wonder if it's my TV's settings... I know it's the source material. I had Chad B calibrate my C6 and one thing that surprised me is how different my settings ended up being from those floating around the internet. I'm much happier with the picture after calibration... especially in terms of brightness.

julrik

Yes, you still do see ABL even at low oled light level on the 2016's. That was a huge problem for them, just go ask D-Nice about that ;)

On the 2016's if you setup the picture for 150 nits the full screen would still dim down a lot.

I am not comparing tvs by how much they cost right now, just what the new ones improvements have brought on. Cleveland plasma has the 55c7 at $2400 right now, the 55B6 is going for 1600, so not as big of a price difference.
Hey man, I've sent you a PM.

Geneijin

I did it myself and got comparable results with an i1 Display Pro, HCFR, and AVS HD 709 at half the price but spent tonnes of time trial and error (like why was I seeing posterizaton in Watch Dogs 2). If you care about color accuracy, it's a small price considering calibrating for HDR is different than SDR especially if you never touched CMS controls ever.

TheBoss1

Saw the A1E. Compared it directly to an E7. Unless Rtings and people find some odd serious flaws, im getting the A1E for sure. Its motion handling is superb.

Input lag is higher depending on the source (4K, 1080P) but I think only the most sensitive gamers would notice the difference.

KevinG

I feel like such a chump as I've been enjoying the mess out of my B6, but have only been messing with the standard user settings.

Haven't ventured into ISF modes at all. Just feels so overwhelming and I haven't had the time to invest in calibrating myself.

Theonik

Input lag is higher depending on the source (4K, 1080P) but I think only the most sensitive gamers would notice the difference.
This applies to most TV sets btw. The scaler will almost always add an extra bit of lag. Interpolating 6megapixels takes time.

Nah. With that money, I would get a nice AV Receiver or something. Imagine if you spend all of that money and you are not genuinely ecstatic about the way the picture settings look. I think you can even look online at some recommended picture settings for those modes for your OLED like AVS Forums on youtube if I remember correctly.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I feel like a lot of 2017 TVs are sorta no goes due to pricing unless you are willing to go top end. They are better than the 2016 models comparing TV to TV obviously, but you can get a better model 2016 TV on the cheaper low.

HDCP handshake issue?

Sorry. Not well versed in all this. All I know is I'm going to lose my mind in a minute haha. HDCP issue?

Edit: fixed it! If this ever happens for anyone else, hold the PS4 power button down until the SECOND beep, then reboot it. Works fine.

Same.
Using an AVR basically fixes the handshaking issues. Mostly concerns the C6, E6 and G6, not the B6.
Wonder whether the 2017 LG OLEDs are also affected.

Top Bottom