• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

GAMEPROFF

Banned
again, it would be really helpful if you guys also shared your battery usage stats.
Not that i don't believe you, but often times it's some buggy app that doesn't go to sleep properly and needs to be fixed - or you realize that you've simply been using your phone a lot.
How do we get our stats? With usimg Battery Doctor?

Fliesen

How do we get our stats? With usimg Battery Doctor?

Settings>battery

the clock symbol should also be tapped, so you'll be shown on-screen and background times.

Often times it's an app that was (supposedly) 'on screen' (i.e. actively running) but not opened by the user.
Other times, it's an app that is stuck running in background, slowly but steadily sucking your battery dry.

Other times it's you realizing that those 'few times' you spent playing Galaxy of Heroes today actually added up to 51 minutes on-screen time :p

Is the iPad Pro worth the additional couple hundred? I'd like to multitask with a lot of tabs, maybe mess with the production apps and want it to be usable for the foreseeable future (my Touchpad's measly 1gb of RAM is awful)

SOLDIER

Now my phone is doing a thing where it auto-dims even though the brightness isnt being automatically adjusted like before. Is this another annoying setting I need to untick?

Now my phone is doing a thing where it auto-dims even though the brightness isnt being automatically adjusted like before. Is this another annoying setting I need to untick?

Is it because it's getting close to the amount of time before the phone auto-locks?

If so, increase the amount of time.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Is the iPad Pro worth the additional couple hundred? I'd like to multitask with a lot of tabs, maybe mess with the production apps and want it to be usable for the foreseeable future (my Touchpad's measly 1gb of RAM is awful)

I believe the consensus is that yes, the 10.5" is worth the extras money. The TrueTone 120Hz HDR display is so far ahead of every other tablet, that within probably 2-3 years all other tablet displays are going to look awful, while the 10.5" display is still going to look tremendous. On top of that, the 10.5" has double the RAM of the 9.7". If the 9.7" is absolutely at the top of your budget, it's a great buy. But if you can swing the money for the 10.5", it is worth every penny.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Absolutely yes.

I believe the consensus is that yes, the 10.5" is worth the extras money. The TrueTone 120Hz HDR display is so far ahead of every other tablet, that within probably 2-3 years all other tablet displays are going to look awful, while the 10.5" display is still going to look tremendous. On top of that, the 10.5" has double the RAM of the 9.7". If the 9.7" is absolutely at the top of your budget, it's a great buy. But if you can swing the money for the 10.5", it is worth every penny.

Absolutely yes.

Okay great, thank you for the replies. I'll wait for a sale :)

borghe

Okay great, thank you for the replies. I'll wait for a sale :)

fwiw, I have one.. I was just responding with an objective consensus.. :) but yeah, every time I use mine it still blows me away how gorgeous and fast it is. this is the first time ever that my mac has laid dormant aside from coding and gaming. iOS11 plus Pro 10.5" is game changing.

Souzetsu

Noticed my battery life on my 7 Plus has been pretty bad on iOS 11. Checked battery information and saw that the YouTube app has been using several hours of background activity. Disabled background app refresh for YouTube and will see how today goes.

fwiw, I have one.. I was just responding with an objective consensus.. :) but yeah, every time I use mine it still blows me away how gorgeous and fast it is. this is the first time ever that my mac has laid dormant aside from coding and gaming. iOS11 plus Pro 10.5" is game changing.

What storage size did you get? I'd imagine 64gb is way too small.

Aurongel

Kindle App not supporting split screen is a fucking crime. My girlfriend has no way to have a kindle book open and notes simeulatenously. And no, I'm not going to take the time to export, break the DRM and import them to iBooks.

Anyone know of a way to write in the margins of books with the pencil? iBooks lets you add sticky notes but never handwritten fields.

Noticed my battery life on my 7 Plus has been pretty bad on iOS 11. Checked battery information and saw that the YouTube app has been using several hours of background activity. Disabled background app refresh for YouTube and will see how today goes.

Me too compared to 10.3.3. I honestly wish i could go back to 10.3.3.

How bad are the annoyances/errors/bugs?

Apparently there was some problem with certain email services not working?

Kinda hesitant to upgrade my 7 right now. Maybe this weekend when I have more time to monitor and adjust things.

erawsd

What storage size did you get? I'd imagine 64gb is way too small.

Depends on how you are using it. My Pro is 128gigs because I also figured 64 was going to be too small but I'm currently only using ~35gigs, so I could probably have gotten away with a 64gig iPad without much of an issue. But I use streaming/cloud services for everything so I don't really have a reason to store anything besides the apps/games I'm currently using.

iavi

Kinda hesitant to upgrade my 7 right now. Maybe this weekend when I have more time to monitor and adjust things.

Mine has been shitting itself constantly--7+ here.

HORRIBLE battery drain, apps hang when opening frequently--to the point that I have to restart the phone to get anything to open, gmail refuses to sync, actually sluggish scrolling through webpages.

I hate this fucking update.

Vyer

My 7+ has been fine. But I like to do a clean install when these major updates release

I've been researching the 10.5 pro for a while now. I've never been interested in a tablet (and for that matter Apple products before), but it really seems like an excellent middle device between my Windows desktop and my smartphone, that can comfortably straddle the line between a laptop and tablet, especially with the iOS 11 improvements. It's expensive but it hits all the key points:

Incrediblely powerful hardware and screen
Light and portable
Fantastic battery life and standby time
Much better interface via keyboard and pen
iOS has really come on, especially with pro apps

Paired with another device for the majority of productive tasks (and gaming) it's something that I can't wait to buy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm getting very inconsistent behavior on Carplay, which is bad, but the "good" news is that it's now very apparent my previous Carplay issues were caused by iOS and phone, rather than shared between device and car.

It is however slightly better than before, but as I said, inconsistent. And sorry, but new Siri is HORRIFIC. I had to switch to Aussie. Now I'm scared she's gonna make me race Bogans in a Ute.

I just noticed this as well. 50% of my battery usage is to YouTube and I’ve barely touched it at all today it has 4 hours in the background. The hell is going on? YouTube barely took up any large percent of my battery on ios10. I’m not even at 2 hours usage and I’m at 20% already.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I know it’s a running joke with iOS updates, but good god does Safari feel better now.

holygeesus

Banned

If you owned a 2015 MBP would you buy an iPad Pro or a new MacBook?

Google with that lowkey sabotage

3D Touch functionality to switch between apps instead of double tapping the home button no longer works in iOS11. Does anyone know if there's a work around? Double clicking home button feels tiring sometimes.

samn

3D Touch functionality to switch between apps instead of double tapping the home button no longer works in iOS11. Does anyone know if there's a work around? Double clicking home button feels tiring sometimes.

Being brought back in 11.1

Vuze

Gone for now, will return in a future update

Breqesk

Y’know, I don’t dislike my Pro 10.5, but I haven’t been nearly as blown away by it - or iOS 11 - as the rest of you. The screen’s nice, to be sure, but the viewing angles aren’t as good as I was expecting - seems to vary pretty significantly in perceived brightness/colour clarity when off-axis by more than a few degrees, which I know is always present to some extent, but it seems more obvious than I’d have expected - and, honestly, since iOS 11 the ProMotion has seemed a tad redundant... ‘Cause the task switching animations almost always stutter a bit. I’ve tried doing a full reset and everything, but it’s still not fully smooth. (This is all coming from a - sadly departed - Air 2, by the way.)

The speakers are really good, at least.

As for iOS 11 itself, I like the new task switcher and dock, but Files has been utterly useless so far - I don’t really use iCloud Drive, and without that it’s basically just a wrapper for the interfaces of other cloud storage services, with none of the drag functionality, and there’s still no way to set up a local file system, which is what I really wanted - and Safari still won’t let me download files like a desktop web browser/my (android) phone’s. Went to download a video file earlier - from a site with no DRM, or anything; I was using a specific download link that worked on my Mac and my phone - and had no luck whatsoever.

Oh, and the implementation of the new drag and drop in the browser has made activating context/‘right click’ menus more finicky than it was, particularly when the touch targets are small enough to be completely covered by your finger so you can’t see when they do that little wiggle thing.

I’m also not hugely keen on the new control panel - having to open the task switcher to get to it is annoying - and I have absolutely no idea why they’ve gotten rid of the second widget pane on the widget screen. It’s much less useful than it was before.

Anyways, it’s not all bad, or anything - I like the new keyboard, though I’m still getting used to it, and like I said, the dock/task switcher’s handy - but... Yeah, all in all, there’s a lot of little things about it that annoy me, and a couple of things that’ve really disappointed me. (Files, mainly. In addition to the stuff I mentioned before, I’m really frustrated that I can’t even, like, access my camera roll/stored pictures in there. I’ve been wanting a way to treat those as actual files - that can be ordered according to different schema - for ages.)

borghe

If you owned a 2015 MBP would you buy an iPad Pro or a new MacBook?

uggh... that is a hard question. 2015 MBP was right at the start of the long drought before the late-2016 refresh. That "may" be able to be your last MBP, but it was sort of old when it came out.. If it's still fast enough for you, I'd say go for the iPad Pro. If it's starting to feel slow.. you might be better off grabbing a 2016 or 2017 MBP.

Fliesen

I just noticed this as well. 50% of my battery usage is to YouTube and I’ve barely touched it at all today it has 4 hours in the background. The hell is going on? YouTube barely took up any large percent of my battery on ios10. I’m not even at 2 hours usage and I’m at 20% already.

yeah, i don't think youtube has any business in the background (unless it's youtube red, i guess). Maybe try reinstalling the app.

256GB. With all of the modern iOS features (app offloading, iCloud Photos optimization, etc) the 512GB just seems like extreme overkill.

Depends on how you are using it. My Pro is 128gigs because I also figured 64 was going to be too small but I'm currently only using ~35gigs, so I could probably have gotten away with a 64gig iPad without much of an issue. But I use streaming/cloud services for everything so I don't really have a reason to store anything besides the apps/games I'm currently using.

Thanks for the advice. Now the waiting game begins...

holygeesus

Banned
uggh... that is a hard question. 2015 MBP was right at the start of the long drought before the late-2016 refresh. That "may" be able to be your last MBP, but it was sort of old when it came out.. If it's still fast enough for you, I'd say go for the iPad Pro. If it's starting to feel slow.. you might be better off grabbing a 2016 or 2017 MBP.

I think I will wait and see if High Sierra offers any improvements. I just have an itch to buy something Apple, and have a scratch on the screen (from trapping grit in between the keyboard and screen and closing it).

Ambitious

Is there no way to delete all current notifications? For me, the delete button shows up only for „Earlier Notifications”.

Surely I am missing something. Right?

Wait a minute. I just got a bunch of Skype notifications. I read all the ones in Earlier Notifications, and then deleted them. Instead of just deleting the earlier ones, it got rid all Skype notifications, even the current ones.

Is it just me or..?

erawsd

Y’know, I don’t dislike my Pro 10.5, but I haven’t been nearly as blown away by it - or iOS 11 - as the rest of you. The screen’s nice, to be sure, but the viewing angles aren’t as good as I was expecting - seems to vary pretty significantly in perceived brightness/colour clarity when off-axis by more than a few degrees, which I know is always present to some extent, but it seems more obvious than I’d have expected - and, honestly, since iOS 11 the ProMotion has seemed a tad redundant... ‘Cause the task switching animations almost always stutter a bit. I’ve tried doing a full reset and everything, but it’s still not fully smooth. (This is all coming from a - sadly departed - Air 2, by the way.)

The speakers are really good, at least.

As for iOS 11 itself, I like the new task switcher and dock, but Files has been utterly useless so far - I don’t really use iCloud Drive, and without that it’s basically just a wrapper for the interfaces of other cloud storage services, with none of the drag functionality, and there’s still no way to set up a local file system, which is what I really wanted - and Safari still won’t let me download files like a desktop web browser/my (android) phone’s. Went to download a video file earlier - from a site with no DRM, or anything; I was using a specific download link that worked on my Mac and my phone - and had no luck whatsoever.

Oh, and the implementation of the new drag and drop in the browser has made activating context/‘right click’ menus more finicky than it was, particularly when the touch targets are small enough to be completely covered by your finger so you can’t see when they do that little wiggle thing.

I’m also not hugely keen on the new control panel - having to open the task switcher to get to it is annoying - and I have absolutely no idea why they’ve gotten rid of the second widget pane on the widget screen. It’s much less useful than it was before.

Anyways, it’s not all bad, or anything - I like the new keyboard, though I’m still getting used to it, and like I said, the dock/task switcher’s handy - but... Yeah, all in all, there’s a lot of little things about it that annoy me, and a couple of things that’ve really disappointed me. (Files, mainly. In addition to the stuff I mentioned before, I’m really frustrated that I can’t even, like, access my camera roll/stored pictures in there. I’ve been wanting a way to treat those as actual files - that can be ordered according to different schema - for ages.)

For some reason I'm not seeing all the animation stutter others are mentioning. However, I do mostly agree about iOS11 and all the little annoying things that are still frustrating. It is getting closer, but its still not quite hitting the mark for a "productivity" device.

The Files app is a friggin mess. It seems like we're still forced into importing/exporting copies of documents and even that is annoying since, rather than being able to initiate that straight from the file view, you have to open the file and then use the share sheet menu. We still can't set our own default file associations. We can't even create local storage folders. I've seen some folks saying that apps still havent been updated to fully support the new APIs, so I guess we'll see but as of today I'm super disappointed with it.

Multitasking is OK but initiating the process can be real cumbersome. The odd thing is that there is already a good solution supported by iOS if you are using a hardware keyboard where you can invoke spotlight, search an app, and drag it into splitview/slide over. For whatever reason that does not work at all using the software keyboard. You can kind of work around it by putting folders on the dock but I just wish it worked better.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Buddy sent me a long text today - the kind you have to click the little arrow in iMessage - and iMessage completely locked up. Killed the task. Re-launched. Still frozen.

Hard reset.

Another hard reset.

So I ended up deleting our entire conversation. Phone was dropping, not exaggerating, about ~2% per minute. Was hot as hell. Went from ~90% to below 70 in maybe 15 minutes, tops - doing absolutely nothing.

And then? Everything was fine again. Very strange. First hard-reset I've ever had to do on my 7 Plus since getting it at launch.

Ugh, really finding the split screen more clumsy in iOS 11.
I definite am, is it correct to switch multitasking apps strictly from the dock? It just seemed to work a bit smoother in iOS 10.

Edit: the little pull tab on the top of the multitasked app just seems too small and unresponsive at times lol I feel like I’m not doing something right

Gotta say I think Apple's surpassed Samsung when it comes to fucking up the settings menu and making it bloated and confusing. I kept wondering why my brightness was changing with iOS 11 because I thought Auto-Brightness was turned off. I check Display/Brightness and it isn't in there which leads me to wonder why it isn't showing up. I google searched it and I see that they moved it to the accessibility tab for some reason.

Gotta say I think Apple's surpassed Samsung when it comes to fucking up the settings menu and making it bloated and confusing. I kept wondering why my brightness was changing with iOS 11 because I thought Auto-Brightness was turned off. I check Display/Brightness and it isn't in there which leads me to wonder why it isn't showing up. I google searched it and I see that they moved it to the accessibility tab for some reason.

auto-brightness is in accessibility?? Where i still cant find it...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ugh, really finding the split screen more clumsy in iOS 11.

Been using it for a little bit and still don't like it.

What I'd want is slide over to open a selection of apps that you'd want for multitasking.
Essentially replace the right section of the dock and allow for certainly more icons to be pinned in this quickly accessible menu.

Top Bottom