• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U rumors: Limiting chipset for controller, developer issues, release date talk

Instro

Gravijah said:
unless you have a strong showing, couldn't that backfire?
Of course, but Nintendo has complete control over whether or not they have a strong showing. Show a bunch of cool games and its not that hard to get a lot of people to buy into the hype without having much time to think it over.

SlipperySlope said:
Exactly what I mean. The article is saying that the controllers are having issues even while tethered, which contradicts what was shown at E3.
fixed. (fitting avatar for your detective skills)

qf9rn.jpg

Dabanton

To be honest if the outraged Nintendo fans kept it moving without posting, half these threads wouldn't take off.

No good moaning about "carnivals of stupid" when you're also contributing to it.

Elginer

firelink said:
Every single developer on the planet has said good things about the Wii U working.

Ubisoft even showcased a real live demo at E3 (with a wireless controller) that they got working in a month or two.

And then suddenly, all is hell and no one can get anything to work, and no one finds this a bit fishy?

I believe. Seems these guys don't What is with the insane Nintendo rumors as of late?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
More believable than the 3DS rumor, in that the Wii University is nowhere near launch. Prototypes are typically a pain to work with.

teiresias

SlipperySlope said:
Exactly what I mean. The article is saying that the controllers are having issues even while tethered, which contradicts what was said at E3.

Well, the article also mentions the "cheap" chipset supporting these functions in the controller. Perhaps the protocol used over the tether at E3 assumed a more robust wireless link that they're having trouble getting the actual wireless hardware to support. In that case, they could be ratcheting down the robustness/bandwidth of the tethering protocol in order to more realistically bring it in line with performance set by the "cheap" chipset.

Tagg9

I certainly believe that the hardware is underpowered, but I kinda doubt that they are having hardware/software issues to the extent that is mentioned in the article.

It says in the article that the WiiU controller causes headaches.

WiiU causes motion sickness and headaches for ALL gamers. Parents calling for Nintendo's head! Man vomits all over his WiiU peripheral for Wii.

[Nintex]

From a technology point of view that streaming stuff was pretty impressive. As for Nintendo cheaping out on the chipset... well there were the reports of overheating devkits around E3 and Nintendo pulled Darksiders II from the show at least. Then they decided to not show it at GamesCom and made plans for a closed NoE event in Frankfurt for the European press a week before GamesCom only to scrap that as well.

Some sites reported that no final silicon of the Wii U was out in the wild yet. Still the Xbox 360 was nothing more but a bunch of Radeons strapped together with a Mac at E3 2005 so I'm sure they can iron out some issues.

The biggest problem however seems to be at a management level. Nintendo has been acting all weird as of late.

Orayn

Jokeropia said:
There're no actual news, just outlandish rumors. For some reason some people consider that threadworthy.
Anything to get the hate train a-rollin'. What fun is a thread if you can't post "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NINTENDO IS FINISHED!"

Hopefully these issues get ironed out. I'm sure peripheral weirdness is not a unique thing when it comes to consoles that are many months away from launching.

Rolf NB

Elginer said:
I believe. Seems these guys don't What is with the insane Nintendo rumors as of late?
Evolution. Things that work become the norm. None of these internet web online sites have seen this kind of traffic since the 60s, when the Xbox 360 launched. So they keep spinning those wheels for all it's worth.

ASIS

A console that's still in it's beta form (if even that) is not perfect? OH NOES!!

Personally I don't see what's so bad about this rumor or why it can't be believed. Nintendo WiiU is a massive risk and it's bound to encounter some problems, I don't think it means the final product will suffer from it or anything TBH.

wrowa

boris feinbrand said:
Throw enough shit at a wall and eventually something sticks.
No. Their track-record is very good, and the site is not known for random rumors. Sure, it might be possible that the developers told them bullshit, but it's highly probable that their sources told them exactly what they reported. They aren't making shit up.

firelink said:
Every single developer on the planet has said good things about the Wii U working.

Ubisoft even showcased a real live demo at E3 (with a wireless controller) that they got working in a month or two.

And then suddenly, all is hell and no one can get anything to work, and no one finds this a bit fishy?
No, not really. No one in his sane mind in the industry is going to publically critize a new(ly announced) console. Especially not the current problems of the hardware. That's suicide -- and that not only because the people who have put their hands on the console had to sign strict NDAs.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This shit goes on with every console. Early kits and development software are almost always cobbled together pieces of crap that improve with time.

BurntPork

Banned
I think 01net is is being trolled. This directly contradicts everything we've heard.

But I'm sure all of the haters here will take as fact, so...

ABANDON%20THREAD%20Conan_13e6ad_2491545.gif

cajunator said:
They'll get everything sorted for launch. Not worried in the slightest.

No-one has any reason to be worried. This is all rumour and speculation, Nintendo know what they're doing, and Reggie appeared in my dreams to say everything was okay.

saichi

Plinko said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Nintendo cancels this system. I just have a feeling they don't release the system as they initially planned to do. Something major is going to change.

how many systems is Nintendo going to cancel? Yesterday they were gonna cancel 3DS and launch a new device that downplays the 3D. Today they are cancelling Wii U.

long live the DS and the Wii!

Dambrosi

Banned
So, is this whole NINTENDOIZDOOMD thing going to continue all week, or are we all going to collectively learn never to listen to this shit website ever again?

Odds on 01.net becoming a banned site on NeoGAF by the end of this week = 90% and rising.

Dies Iræ

Nintendo's current troubles with WiiU can be traced back to Wii.

The lifecycle of Wii has been cut shorter than Nintendo probably expected and had planned for. Generational cycles and product development occurs on multi-year schedules. Basically, the drop-off in Wii sales and third party support was fast and painful.

At the time, Nintendo likely wasn't very far into the development of its successor console (it also sounds like there was internal disagreement over the creative direction that the company should follow). Nevertheless, market realities have forced Nintendo to make quick decisions and to put together a presentation for E3, if only to appease shareholders and their fans.

What we're seeing is Nintendo rushing through the development of a complicated device and struggling to catch up with its own vision. There may be an element of managerial incompetence, but I think the reality is that Nintendo was caught off guard (sure -- in part, due to a lack of market foresight), and any company in the industry would have a difficult time trying to rush out a console with unproven technologies. It's just rough, period.

Considering everything we have heard so far, I inclined to disbelieve this rumor. The controller is probable where most of the Wii U R & D money went. I doubt the controller itself will the source of issues.

rpmurphy

saichi said:
how many systems is Nintendo going to cancel? Yesterday they were gonna cancel 3DS and launch a new device that downplays the 3D. Today they are cancelling Wii U.

long live the DS and the Wii!
Cancel everything, Nintendo going iPhone-only!

RaijinFY

[Nintex] said:
From a technology point of view that streaming stuff was pretty impressive. As for Nintendo cheaping out on the chipset... well there were the reports of overheating devkits around E3 and Nintendo pulled Darksiders II from the show at least. Then they decided to not show it at GamesCom and made plans for a closed NoE event in Frankfurt for the European press a week before GamesCom only to scrap that as well.

Some sites reported that no final silicon of the Wii U was out in the wild yet. Still the Xbox 360 was nothing more but a bunch of Radeons strapped together with a Mac at E3 2005 so I'm sure they can iron out some issues.

The biggest problem however seems to be at a management level. Nintendo has been acting all weird as of late.

That's the main point of these articles and as the authors stated there are pretty some big management issues at Nintendo. Tomorrow they will release part 3 of their Nintendo special week, this time dedicated to the development process in Nintendo (might not be a negative spin duh!)

StevieP

Banned
Dies Iræ said:
Nintendo's current troubles with WiiU can be traced back to Wii.

The lifecycle of Wii has been cut shorter than Nintendo probably expected. The drop-off in its sales and third party support was quick. Nintendo likely wasn't very far into development of its successor console (it sounds like there was also internal disagreement over the direction that the company should take). Nevertheless, Nintendo had to make quick decisions and put together a presentation for E3, to appease shareholders and their fans.

The Wii never had any substantial third party support. That's what the "dropoff" is about.

What we're seeing is Nintendo rushing through the development of a complicated device and struggling to catch up with its own vision. There may be an element of managerial incompetence, but I think the reality is that Nintendo was caught off guard (sure -- in part, due to a lack of market foresight), and any company in the industry would have a difficult time trying to rush out a console with unproven technologies. It's just rough, period.

What we're seeing (if you even want to believe this article) is what happens with every console launch, with pretty much every system aside from possibly the Wii. Bugs. Bugs galore. Lockups. Headaches and grey hair. Smashing bulky pieces on your desk. This is normal. But it appears the hyperbole in this thread would suggest otherwise.

JABEE

BurntPork said:
I think 01net is is being trolled. This directly contradicts everything we've heard.

But I'm sure all of the haters here will take as fact, so...

ABANDON%20THREAD%20Conan_13e6ad_2491545.gif
Maybe what you've heard is crap? Maybe this is crap? Who knows? These Nintendo threads of late remind me of the PS3 slim threads of a few years ago. Everyone always reacts with insane skepticism, but then it ends up being true. It seems like every post is a preemptive defense or discrediting claim about the source of an article. Does anyone expect people who are under NDA or reliant on Nintendo's support to openly criticize a console for which they are working to develop games on?

creid

lol @ "10 months is enough time to get this fixed." Devs are going to have an awfully hard time getting passable games ready for launch if it takes Nintendo several more months to get the hardware done.

Dies Iræ

StevieP said:
The Wii never had any substantial third party support. That's what the "dropoff" is about.

What we're seeing (if you even want to believe this article) is what happens with every console launch, with pretty much every system aside from possibly the Wii. Bugs. Bugs galore. Lockups. Headaches and grey hair. Smashing bulky pieces on your desk. This is normal. But it appears the hyperbole in this thread would suggest otherwise.

You might be correct. I still think that Nintendo's rushing WiiU because they expected Wii to have a stronger market performance than it has had.

FatCat

Even if they did get their rumors right before the unveiling of the Wii U, I don't think information like this is even relevant. I mean, did Nintendo even give a clue on the release date, apart from 2012?

And with at least a year until it comes out, this sort of stuff happens.

Huge pinch of salt, thank you.

Foffy

Banned
Dambrosi said:
So, is this whole NINTENDOIZDOOMD thing going to continue all week, or are we all going to collectively learn never to listen to this shit website ever again?

Odds on 01.net becoming a banned site on NeoGAF by the end of this week = 90% and rising.

Didn't it start the day they announced a 3DS pricecut and people touted the "MOBILE PHONES HAVE KILLED PORTABLES" trumpet?

It's just more noticeable this week.

I'll take underpowered and cheap components if it gets me more than one of these controllers per system. It's still my biggest worry about this.

Top Bottom