• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

For what we have seen in the last Nintendo Direct, X looks freaking awesome.

In just two or three years, Monolith has achieved to get the vibe of what many of us expected from FF Versus XIII.

The announcemente of Versus XIII back in 2006 was one of the most exciting news in all my gaming life.

A real time action RPG following the line of Final Fantasy games.

Now we are in 2013 and all we know of Versus XIII has diluted through time with a couple of videos and little scoops, while Monolith has brought a fresh real time action RPG, with Mecha fighting and giant monsters to slaughter. In HD.

Okay, it's been more than seven years sin the HD generation came to our homes, but seriously. Is there any other japanese developer that has made anything as impressing (in terms of depth of field and visuals) as 'X'?

Discuss.

You are right, it does have a lot of the feeling I got from watching the Versus XIII trailer. This is great, I always thought what that game was trying to do looked awesome and for Nintendo and Monolith to expand their concepts to that level is just great.

LuuKyK

Really? :lol

X looks like XIV btw. And we've seen nothing of the new Versus, so I dont think its correct to judge for now.

The last question of your post and the question in the thread title are pretty much the opposite question, so any lazy-ass replies that are just "yup" or "nope" will be impossible to interpret. :-/

That said, this utterly blows Lightning Returns away in its look and scope, and it blows Versus XIII away by virtue of the fact that it actually exists.

IMO Square-Enix still has them beat just on handheld content alone, I mean Bravely Default and DQ7.

Not that it matters FOR US BAKA GAIJINS :(

JDSN

Banned
Not running over, flying over.

amekbv.gif

Westlo

I suspect that Versus XIII (+Last Guardian) has been bumped up to the next gen system(s), so you might have to eat your words @ E3.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The announcemente of Versus XIII back in 2006 was one of the most exciting news in all my gaming life.

lol. Then yes I guess another, newer trailer would be quite exciting for you.

Also until someone makes an HD town better than Academia, Sqaure still da god.

Pikma

Banned

X looks like XIV btw. And we've seen nothing of the new Versus, so I dont think its correct to judge for now.

Ha-ha! but of course we haven't seen anything, companies tend to not show their vaporware software.

And yeah, I would gladly eat crow on that one.

Not it dosn't. And I played the alpha. X looks like it have a much bigger scale and seamless world. Of course XIV is a full fledged MMO with 100 characters on the screen at the same time...so is not really comparable.

My answer is yes. Looking at XIII-2 and then seeing X is like a shock revelation. SE is no longer the epitome of JRPG visuals.... X looks much better than any SE current gen game. Speak by itself how a mid range japanese developer managed to create a much better and espectacular engine...

zoukka

Yeah they have developed this very quickly and it looks as epic as you can hope for. Meanwhile a great mass of SE's resources go to Lighting's new outfits...

Didn't we have Dragon's Dogma, like, last year?

Don't get me wrong - "X" looks pretty impressive, but it's not like it's the first Japanese-developed HD RPG to show off open-worldish features that Versus promised so long ago. Plus, we don't even know what "X's" world layout will be. We're assuming it will be like Xenoblade's, and I think that's a reasonably safe bet, but we don't know that for sure.

Rad-

If this game is enough to please gamers graphically, I don't understand why people are worrying about PS4 and Xbox 3 specs.

And everyone runs over SE nowadays.

Didn't we have Dragon's Dogma, like, last year?

Don't get me wrong - "X" looks pretty impressive, but it's not like it's the first Japanese-developed HD RPG to show off open-worldish features that Versus promised so long ago. Plus, we don't even know what "X's" world layout will be. We're assuming it will be like Xenoblade's, and I think that's a reasonably safe bet, but we don't know that for sure.

I was asking in my OP if there were any other developements similiar to X.

Had forgot about Dragon's Dogma's 'wideness'.

Gartooth

This is just more proof that the old guard of Japanese RPGs is dead/dying (Square Enix) and it will be other/smaller developers that take their place and move the genre forward.(FROM, Monolith, Level 5)

If this game is enough to please gamers graphically, I don't understand why people are worrying about PS4 and Xbox 3 specs.

because people love a dick measuring contest.

and yeah. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed by the PS4/720. seems likely they'll be quiet, low power(relatively) machines and they're going to put a lot of emphasis on getting you to buy movies and TV shows.

Top Bottom