• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Heroes Screenshot Blowout (XBLA, Gauntlet meets Mario Party spinoff)

How is equating a small XBLA release which doesn't even the aesthetic of the regular Fable franchise to a "big exclusive franchise return" not a potshot?

It's blatant as hell, especially since Fable: The Journey pics have been leaked at the same time and that game (even though it strays from the traditional Fable formula) looks beautiful.

We don't even know what Microsoft has in store yet since the embargo ends tomorrow morning, so speculate all you want when the media blowout happens. But still suggesting that an XBLA game (something the Fable franchise has done before), is Microsoft only big exclusive left is just pathetically blatant trolling.

because 1) he said "probably", meaning he didn't even seem sure and 2) it fits the general description that that mag is using to hype up their next issue. Looks like you are just looking for trolling where there is none.

Direct link here: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Fable-Heroes/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410b86

QoYLe.png

AXQwm.png

Good news: Not Kinect-based, though you can unlock items for both games. Four player online/offline co-op is nice, I guess.
Bad news: Not a Fable game I was looking for. WTF Lionhead?!
Other news: Can a mod update the OP?

Cautiously optimistic, says the person who loves the Fable series. I still don't think it is like Mario Party. I bet Microsoft saw Castle Crashers' success and wanted to imitate it.

Since my question seems to have incited unrest...

I should have probably asked whether it was part of the tease rather than one of the teases.

The M!Games thing technically referred to franchises rather than games - so they could have been referring to both Fable: The Journey and this as a return of the Fable franchise.

Likewise they may announce both Forza 5 and Forza Horizon, whence the embargo lifts, still constituting the return of a single franchise.

(although I'd somewhat question the use of the term "return" since it had people guessing things that had been absent much longer.)

Since my question seems to have incited unrest...

I should have probably asked whether it was part of the tease rather than one of the teases.

What kind of question is that though? How can anyone know? Members here are not privy to any more information than you, nor has the embargo been lifted, so no one can make any guess at all.

Now tomorrow after all the embargoes have been lifted, then you can guess about which 4 games/franchises the magazine was referring to.
Do people forget this is a XBLA game? Like seriously, IMO way too much overreacting-age.

And hilarious that a game sells a couple millions.
I look at this game as the Fable pub games xbla title, a simple little fun thing that a few people conjured up. But there's something about the Fable name which really riles the hardcore forum warriors up.

The proper games continuously sell well and Fable 2 was received amazingly well critically, and even Fable 3 was considered good if not matching up to Fable 2. But people here make it out to be this bottom barrel franchise. They get more upset with Peter's words than anything the franchise or game actually puts out.

Item Box

Nope, seems to be more like Castle Crashers.

Also note that in the description says "Hack and Slash" and the genre is action/adventure.

Maybe that image with the board and the die is some kind of feature to customize your character.

...or maybe it's a minigame, who knows.

I can't believe the OP used Photobucket. I thought it was known world-wide that they are the worst image site. Thanks to the others that provided mirrors. This game certainly doesn't look traditional.

Aaron

The proper games continuously sell well and Fable 2 was received amazingly well critically, and even Fable 3 was considered good if not matching up to Fable 2. But people here make it out to be this bottom barrel franchise. They get more upset with Peter's words than anything the franchise or game actually puts out.
Fable 3 wasn't considered good. Average at best. But still you don't dilute a franchise unless it's strong enough to endure it. Mario is so entrenched they can throw anything under his moustache, but even Zelda stumbles on some of the side games.

Fable is nowhere near strong a brand as Zelda. After a weak entry in the mainline, the last sensible thing to do is release two spin off games. You don't want the name 'Fable' to be associated in people's minds with 'mini-game crap.' I'm just disappointed that this series has pissed away its potential and now circles the drain.

It´s a shame to see stuff like this, and to think about what the series would have been if Lionhead had continued to iterate the concept they had in Fable 1. It was a flawed game, but it was still good, unique and had plenty of interesting ideas.

Looks like fun to me... A castle crashers is always a good thing. I have no problems with the art style. At least it has a style unlike 90% of new games nowadays.

Mista Koo

Looks.. intriguing.

But yeah it's stupid how close these are to avatars but they are not avatars.
And that logo is hideous.

nasos_333

Do people forget this is a XBLA game? Like seriously, IMO way too much overreacting-age.

And hilarious that a game sells a couple millions.

Indeed, i did not exactly expect Fable 4 to be on XBLA :)

That was expected TBH, they want Fable to reach every gamer so Fable 4 can sell even more

Also i am glad it is not some huge game that would take away from next gen Fable 4 development

the character art is horrible but the rest of it looks fine. this will probably be a pre order bonus for The Journey anyway so I dunno, I'll reserve my judgement til we see more.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
LOOKS like a fun game. It wouldn't get too much hate if there wasn't the Fable name associated with it. But then again, it wouldn't get too much notice without it either.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Any 4-player co-op hack and slash loot-whoring game is welcome in my book.
The artstyle is a bit creepy though.

nasos_333

How is equating a small XBLA release which doesn't even the aesthetic of the regular Fable franchise to a "big exclusive franchise return" not a potshot?

It's blatant as hell, especially since Fable: The Journey pics have been leaked at the same time and that game (even though it strays from the traditional Fable formula) looks beautiful.

We don't even know what Microsoft has in store yet since the embargo ends tomorrow morning, so speculate all you want when the media blowout happens. But still suggesting that an XBLA game (something the Fable franchise has done before), is Microsoft only big exclusive left is just pathetically blatant trolling.

Assuming that they were talking about this and not about Fable Journey or Fable 4

I dont think the DX11 job from Lionhead was about this game, more likely was for Fable 4 for xbox 720

The magazine may have insider info on Durango and Fable 4 as well

And obviously this XBLA game is not MS only exlusive left, that is a joke, if anything Fable Jounrey looks like a day one buy and Fable 4 is defiantly in the making with Fable 3 team

Xater

After the Alan Wake episode on XBLA and the Microsoft guy comparing it to Fable heroes, I doubt Fable fans were expecting this...

my biggest problem is that fable 3 is rated M, and this looks like it's rated e10-ish.

so... where exactly is fable going? Is it going to stay as a mature title, with its desease spreading prostitutes, or is it going to become a childish and novel game filled with fart jokes and that's it?

Xander51

This doesn't seem amazing but I'll probably check out the trial. Not really the franchise I expected to get this sort of game.

my biggest problem is that fable 3 is rated M, and this looks like it's rated e10-ish.

so... where exactly is fable going? Is it going to stay as a mature title, with its desease spreading prostitutes, or is it going to become a childish and novel game filled with fart jokes and that's it?

Fable has always been a very charming and inclusive franchise, despite some mature themes. You know, like actual fables usually are. If you look at something like Fat Princess, it's both cutesy and quite gory. I see no issue here.

Probably would look better if they were a bit more clean with better contrast without the vignetting, the vignetting makes it looked as if they're taken off screen

it'd look better if they unified the colour scheme. This is one of the few games where more brown/sepia would fix it up a lot, and play to the nostalgic nature of toy dolls. You've got highly saturated yellow, blue, red and green, then a bunch of muted browns. It's just a mess of colour.

Fable has always been a very charming and inclusive franchise, despite some mature themes. You know, like actual fables usually are. If you look at something like Fat Princess, it's both cutesy and quite gory. I see no issue here.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of some of the mature aspects of fable, and i just dont want them to throw out the drinking, sex, prostitutes, condoms and cheating on a wife because they're focusing on family friendly stuff. These are the sim aspects i love in the game, i just dont want the baby out with the bath water i guess.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
a mod touched the OP and didn't fix the apostrophe :|

TriGen

I was not expecting this. In some ways it looks like it could be a decent little arcade game, in other ways, WTF?

Top Bottom