• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 year old claims that he needs to play video games all night because of school

TLZ

Banned
letting the kid play the extra 30 mins for pulling this shit is just going to let him think he can get away with more.

Should be more like:

giphy.gif

It's something that absolutely should be made fun of and laughed at.. Behind the kids back. Making him think that is in any way shape or form acceptable or amusing behaviour is just going to encourage him to be an ass in future.

IF this is real, then it's really awful parenting. Just telling him off for it and then having a laugh without him knowing would have been fine. It's like rewarding a dog for taking a shit in the middle of the house because it did a funny fart while doing it. You wouldn't reward it because you don't want it shitting in the house, no matter how funny the fart was. Much like no matter how funny the letter was, the thought behind it is devious and wrong.

It's something that absolutely should be made fun of and laughed at.. Behind the kids back. Making him think that is in any way shape or form acceptable or amusing behaviour is just going to encourage him to be an ass in future.

IF this is real, then it's really awful parenting. Just telling him off for it and then having a laugh without him knowing would have been fine. It's like rewarding a dog for taking a shit in the middle of the house because it did a funny fart while doing it. You wouldn't reward it because you don't want it shitting in the house, no matter how funny the fart was. Much like no matter how funny the letter was, the thought behind it is devious and wrong.

I sincerely hope you're not anyone's parent. This is a cute, amusing thing, and nothing more.

Last night my son put his underwear backwards. When my wife pointed this fact out to him he said, "Today is Thursday....Thursday is backwards underwear day"

Which I thought was pretty funny. Then I read this kids letter and realize that my son needs to step his game up.

I think they quickly realize that it's the only avenue they have to get what they want.

This was me.

As a kid, I never got what I wanted just because I wanted it. If I asked for it outright, the answer would be no. Or worse, a "maybe" that gave me hope but always turned into a no. To get what I wanted, even minor things, I had to be manipulative to get it.

I ended up having a pretty big problem with stealing when I was in elementary school. I went from asking somebody for something, getting a no, then just stealing it to basically just stealing it as to never raise suspicion that I wanted it.

And every time I did something like that, I had an elaborate cover story that was only compelling to other children. As soon as an adult got involved, they'd look deadpan into the camera like a character on The Office and reverse my manipulations instantly.

This mostly drove me to stop trying to steal from adults and instead try to steal from others kids my age. I got a lot of things from other kids my parents would never buy me because I was able to swindle or burgle other ten year olds of their stuff.

It's part of why, as an adult, I am aggressively charitable. I still feel bad about telling kids I was dying so they had to give me their action figures.

But all this deviant behavior was rooted in the fact that children have little to no negotiating power or individual agency. So when they desire something outside the confines of their ruleset, they must disrupt them to achieve or acquire their desires. Sometimes they write notes from SCHOOL about VIDEO GAME CLASS. This is the prepubescent machine at work!

bomblord1

Banned
It's important to encourage creativity and imagination in children.

You should not reward them for lying/manipulation though. Punish them for that and make sure they understand what they did wrong and why.

Psssht, you haven't learned the real trick until you decide to get up early to play instead. Actually helps to make sure you're nice and awake for school to be honest if like me you was regularly up late.

Onivulk

Banned
I wouldn't punish the kid too hard but this would be a good opportunity to talk about lies. Why would they give into this? Just makes it seem like manipulation is a viable route to getting what you want.

eso76

Around the ages of 5-6 children understand the concept.

Way earlier than that..

Daughter started pretending being ill to stay home at 2,5..
"Dad, i don't feel too good, maybe you should call the teachers to tell them I'm not going..I think i have a fever *grabs thermometer, pretends to read the temperature*. It says 200 euros (!) i can't go to school"

IronLich

Well, if he gets kicked out of school, he'll have MORE time to take video game classes via home schooling/aka he takes the VIDEO GAME CLASSES while his parents are at work.

I don't think this child thought things all the way through. 30 minutes was a raw deal compared to what he could have gotten through home school.

Cleve

That is to say, some adults do have handwriting like that, but probably not 2nd grade teachers.

I work in a school district, you should see some of the handwriting I see from faculty. Administrators tend to have the worst penmanship.

Trup1aya

I'd be disappointed in the dishonesty, but impressed by the attempt at negotiation.

He presumed that his parents interest in his grades would take priority over interest in his sleep schedule, and tried to leverage that to his benefit. It's not a bad rationale (especially if he's ever had extended bedtimes in order to complete assignments).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm not sure that letter qualifies as negotiation practicing. It's straight up lying and manipulating. I don't know about your family but in my family with 4 kids lying in the last thing we tolerate. We always give them a chance to explain themselves when they misbehave but if they pull something like this they will definitely be grounded.

It's cute, cheeky fun. What is wrong with you people?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Kids a Phantom Thief in the making, even made a calling card and everything.

He'll take your heart so he can take his time.

REDSLATE

He writes better than most teens and adults. Fix his spelling and show him how to use an Oxford comma; he'll be set for life.
;)

I motion for more game time.

HvySky

Y'all painting this seven year old child as some horrible, master manipulator are killing me. What a monster, right? Half of you sound like the "no fun allowed" image physically manifested.

I love this kid.

DanielJr82

Those 30 extra minutes are feeding his mentality and a sign of permissive parenting. I would've grounded him for lying.

LordOfChaos

Do you have kids? I've found that most people who don't believe stuff like this don't have kids. You'd be surprised at the weird, goofy shit they do.

Oh I'm sure they do, and this all probably started with real ones, but some of the pictures of notes seem too perfect to not be contrived, some visibly seem like someone with decent handwriting trying to crap it up with a few backwards letters.

Top Bottom