• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 year old claims that he needs to play video games all night because of school

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
letting the kid play the extra 30 mins for pulling this shit is just going to let him think he can get away with more.

3e3.jpg

RPGam3r

Part of me wants to think the parents should have gone all in. Force the kid to stay up all night, see how good that feels the next day.

As a parent I wouldn't do this, but part of me would want test it out. "Sometimes you should be careful what you wish for."

You can't be serious

This is the kind of thing you praise your seven year old for being so hilariously clever, post it on Facebook so your in-laws can laugh about it, and then take the note out ten years from now for a light ribbing after he joins debate club

I properly clever 7 year old would at least go to some lengths to make it seem like a legit letter from the school. Like not making it look like it was written by a 7 year old for one

This is so confusing

I wouldn't know whether to beat my kid's ass or give him a treat for the gall
Why would you ever consider hitting your kid for something like this?

I'd be laughing my ass off. Then I'd let them play more...but only allow them to play Ghosts and Goblins, Castlevania or Megaman 2. Tell them that if they really want a good grade in video game class, they need to gitgud.

I honestly wonder what sort of soulless robot children some of these posters think they're going to raise.

Mik2121

If this was made by my daughter, I would probably tell her that lying is bad and that people will always spot you and call you a liar. Then I'd tell her the proposition was good though, and to just bring it as your opinion and not say the school did it.

Then I'd let her play some more because of the creativity and because she got good grades otherwise. And because kids are not simple-minded to think they will be able to get away with this always (and if they try, the second time just don't give them time to fully teach 'em).

People here saying their parents are rewarding the kid for lying... jeez. Maybe you should go, get a kid and try to raise it your way? Get the most boring kid on planet earth! ;) And the guy saying he wouldn't know whether to beat the kid... damn.

BigDes

That letter clearly came from the school.

Shame on you all from accusing the kids of nefarious behaviour

Shame on the parents as well, holding his academic studies back like this

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wtf? They gave him time? My parents wouldve been like "HAHAHA NICE TRY KIDDO" and penalized me for trying to cheat them.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Part of me wants to think the parents should have gone all in. Force the kid to stay up all night, see how good that feels the next day.

As a parent I wouldn't do this, but part of me would want test it out. "Sometimes you should be careful what you wish for."

Isn't that like "I want to see you smoke the whole pack" parenting?

Kid will be starting threads in off-topic in 2028 about how bad the job market is for people with no qualifications who didn't study in school.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If you are remotely serious about considering beating your kid's ass for having the initiative and interest to practice negotiation at a young age, it's a good indication you are probably not ready to have kids. :)

Do you want to raise your kid a Ferengi?

Joking aside, I definitely would not let the kid play extra long because he pretends school asked about it. I may be open about negotiation, but not about insincere negotiation.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I would've shouted "CLICKBAIT!" at him and told him he should do schoolwork simply for the passion of it all rather than looking for rewards. Welcome to the real world jackass.

More likely I'd just start laughing at that note and explain to the kid why it didn't work.

Budi

kids are so spoiled these days, back in our time, no TV, no anything if school days

What was "our" time? Time before there were TV:s? In my time, which would be after 1984, we had TV and Videogames to help the kids (like me!) learn and develop.

aett

I can see my six year old trying this. If he does well in class, he gets a note on a pink card - so he asked us for a ream of pink paper for Easter. And lately, every night when I tell him it's bedtime, he asks WHY is it bedtime and sometimes grumbles "why do you have to ruin my fun by telling me it's bedtime" or "I hate bedtime".

Business

I find it a very poor attempt to be honest. I do remember a time around the same age a kid in my class got a note from our teacher for his bad behaviour, which he had to return signed by his parents. He signed it himself and obviously got caught. I totally remember thinking how stupid and reckless a move that was.

That was faking a signature, nevermind writting a full letter with a pencil... At 7 at the very least you should understand your handwritting is not like that of the adults, or that this paper doesn't look at all like a school document, or even that whole videogame class thing... come on son.

If he was really that clever he would have printed the note on the computer instead of in his own crummy handwriting.

That is to say, some adults do have handwriting like that, but probably not 2nd grade teachers.
And compromise his already-limited computer time? Madness.

I'm sure the kid did a cost-benefit analysis, and deduced that the crummier and faker the letter looked, the more the parents would be endeared and distracted by its social media potential. A typed letter would not look as adorable, and he probably would have had to up the spelling and grammatical mistakes to compensate. That in turn could have jeopardised the entire operation. It might give off the impression that he needs to focus more on his studies, rather than increase his game time. This kid was clearly thinking a few steps ahead.

Usobuko

Banned
I'll be disappointed.

At 7 years, you should at the very least know this is not going to convincing. Kid need to step up to the game.

halfbeast

Banned
yeah, would be a cute story, if it were true. I just can't believe it. the fact he used a "&" at the age of 7, makes me suspicious.

not to mention that his punctuation is on a higher level than gaf.

If you are remotely serious about considering beating your kid's ass for having the initiative and interest to practice negotiation at a young age, it's a good indication you are probably not ready to have kids. :)

I'm not sure that letter qualifies as negotiation practicing. It's straight up lying and manipulating. I don't know about your family but in my family with 4 kids lying in the last thing we tolerate. We always give them a chance to explain themselves when they misbehave but if they pull something like this they will definitely be grounded.

petran79

Banned
yeah, would be a cute story, if it were true. I just can't believe it. the fact he used a "&" at the age of 7, makes me suspicious.

not to mention that his punctuation is on a higher level than gaf.

Probably some older kid at school recited that text and he wrote it down

CJCW

My parents would've grounded my ass for trying to pull something like this. Then I'd really miss out on gaming time.

Also some people are taking obvious joke posts a little too seriously in here.

Podge293

You guys have no idea what kind of crap people lie about to get to the front page on reddit.

He also spelled everything perfect except for electronics. I can't help but think it's fake lol

People wouldn't lie on the internet? What are you some sort of monster????

slider

I remember the first time my kid lied to me. It was about washing his hands after going to the loo! He was three; felt too early!

Top Bottom