• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Alright, the game is way past the point of outstaying its welcome.

How much do I have left? I'm at the part where I have to find
Dahls tech officer.

And I'm just pushing myself to end this now because I'm not sure why the game is prolonging itself and I'm quickly getting irritated with running around stuff I've already been through etc.

OBias

Finally finished this game. It was a great ride, though I have some mixed feelings about the ending.

Not sure the twist ending really worked for me. Unless I'm wrong I don't think there's anything you can go back to in the game that makes you go 'of course, I should have seen it all along'. A good twist should always enable you to do that. But this just feels a bit tacked on and as a result it doesn't really add anything to the story.

Looks like you missed the audiolog about
Project Cobalt
. By the way, I like that it's mentioned on
the whiteboard at the Alex's secret room in the Arboretum
as a backup plan.

Alright, the game is way past the point of outstaying its welcome.

How much do I have left? I'm at the part where I have to find
Dahls tech officer.

And I'm just pushing myself to end this now because I'm not sure why the game is prolonging itself and I'm quickly getting irritated with running around stuff I've already been through etc.

You are very close, like about two objectives away from the ending.

saunderez

Just finished this morning and impressed by how it a tied together.
That final mission felt like an epic sprint in an action movie - I saved Alex and did the Nullwave ending.

I guessed early on you were a Typhon mimicking Morgan but I couldn't figure out why Alex was doing it.In hindsight, I remember pretty much the first thing you learn about is their empathic nature. Now I'm wondering if that was​ true or was it simply planting the seed that Typhon might be able to be empathic.

Loved that your interactions affected the outcome. I had helped Mikhaila (told her the truth about her Dad) and Balazar (Saved them from Dahl) and they could see the but I killed poor Yngwe by opening his door in space and he wasn't​ all that happy about that.

Very likely to be my game of the year, not since SOMA have I experienced such a great SciFi story and setting in a game like this.

lionpants

Im at the scanning coral part and this game is really starting to piss me off. I have hardly any ammo or resources and I need to fight a technomancer and 2 other flying ones and I am just getting wrecked.

The difficulty is not fair or fun at all in this game. Projectiles clip through walls, the flying guys can cast on you without even having LoS.

Add the space-suit to the combat (where I am now) and you have a clunky mess.

What a boring disappointment this has been.

I assume you can't refund purchases from cdkeys.com eh?

lionpants

Okay... I just uploaded the
coral data and got interrupted by someone. Right when the person started talking, some officer or something
, a transcode started playing over top and now I have no idea what happened.

Can someone tell me what is said at that point?

The audio mixing is really bad in this game. Some minor sounds like breathing in space make the voices impossible to hear.

Lime

The plot is intriguing but holy cow the sound quality is sooooo bad that it's grating to listen to the characters.

How can you fuck up this bad with the sound?

saunderez

Okay... I just uploaded the
coral data and got interrupted by someone. Right when the person started talking, some officer or something
, a transcode started playing over top and now I have no idea what happened.

Can someone tell me what is said at that point?

The audio mixing is really bad in this game. Some minor sounds like breathing in space make the voices impossible to hear.

Alex talks about how the coral is a massive neural net broadcasting a message somewhere. And he thinks he can use it along with something he invented called the Null Device to send a shockwave through it which will hit all Typhon on and around the station (and presumably the ones receiving the broadcast too)

The plot is intriguing but holy cow the sound quality is sooooo bad that it's grating to listen to the characters.

How can you fuck up this bad with the sound?

I'm only playing the PC version in stereo but I never had a problem with the voices. The music may have been overbearing initially but it never really got in the way for long, perhaps it was changed in first patch. What platform are you on?

lionpants

Alex talks about how the coral is a massive neural net broadcasting a message somewhere. And he thinks he can use it along with something he invented called the Null Device to send a shockwave through it which will hit all Typhon on and around the station (and presumably the ones receiving the broadcast too)

I'm only playing the PC version in stereo but I never had a problem with the voices. The music may have been overbearing initially but it never really got in the way for long, perhaps it was changed in first patch. What platform are you on?

I think you're thinking of a different part.
I'm talking about the part where the upload fails and 3 military robots come in through the windows.

I'm playing on PC too in a 5.1 setup and ya, the sound is pretty shit. Some sounds totally overpower others. NPC voices don't sound like they're coming from the character you are standing right next to, the voices have no distance to them, it just sounds like it's playing right into Morgan's head. Also, like I mentioned earlier, the breathing in space is way too loud and the audio codecs are way too quiet, if you're listening to one in combat, good luck.

saunderez

I think you're thinking of a different part.
I'm talking about the part where the upload fails and 3 military robots come in through the windows.

I'm playing on PC too in a 5.1 setup and ya, the sound is pretty shit. Some sounds totally overpower others. NPC voices don't sound like they're coming from the character you are standing right next to, the voices have no distance to them, it just sounds like it's playing right into Morgan's head. Also, like I mentioned earlier, the breathing in space is way too loud and the audio codecs are way too quiet, if you're listening to one in combat, good luck.

Ah now I understand why I never noticed it. I've played with headphones and with my stereo amp and the downmixing seems to be working appropriately. I wonder whats wrong with the surround mix.

Twinsen343

Don't read if not beaten the game.
So we were playing in a simulation all along - so what happened to the real Morgan?
Excellent game but the ending was I feel not really well executed.

When you take Alex's hand after the credits he says just like old times so yeah what does that mean? Did Morgan die at some point? Or are we Morgan infused with the typhoon and some hybrid they ran through tests to see if we were 'safe'?

saunderez

Don't read if not beaten the game.
So we were playing in a simulation all along - so what happened to the real Morgan?
Excellent game but the ending was I feel not really well executed.

When you take Alex's hand after the credits he says just like old times so yeah what does that mean? Did Morgan die at some point? Or are we Morgan infused with the typhoon and some hybrid they ran through tests??

That's the question huh....there was an audio log where Alex is giving a speech and I may have misheard but I'm sure he said Morgan was going to Earth to be the CEO for something or rather. That was one of the things that tipped me off to being a Typhon in the first place. I think you're just a mimic that was triggered into transforming into Morgan using DNA (the cut scene where Alex asks for more of Morgan's blood line) and implanted with memories collected during the initial neuromod experiments. Once in the simulation they used "January" to fill in any gaps and push the new Morgan on it's path towards empathy. The old times comment....I think that's just referring to them changing the world together.

I really want to do a little review write up on this game, what worked vs. what didn't for me. Maybe after I sleep on it a bit to collect my thoughts.

The one nagging feeling I had throughout the entire game that I quickly want to touch on was that the game always felt like it was one step away from greatness. It did so many things right but it was always one element short. It was a great game no doubt but it could've been a masterpiece with an extra layer of polish.

Still, it definitely surprised me. I did a complete 180 on it from the PS4 demo. Kudos to Arkane for a fantastic, engrossing experience.

lionpants

Chose to activate the nullwave
. What a shit ending.

EDIT: Should've
finished the credits
before raging on NeoGAF. Cool ending :p.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Um, is Igwe supposed to be hostile or it's a bug?

OmOGIko.jpg
Something tells me it's the latter. Is there a way to fix this?

Noks415

Have there been any plans announced for DLC? I want more from this universe.

Also, where the hell is my Dishonored 2 DLC Arkane!?

The G.U.T.S part was pissing me off. Almost ran out of ammo from
shooting at bouncing enemies
. How did you handle that section?

Turning the game on easy mode has made me enjoy it much more. Was about to give up.

BeeDog

Turning the game on easy mode has made me enjoy it much more. Was about to give up.

Just pick up floating debris and throw it towards the cystoid nests.

PeaceUK

The cystoids react to movement, so shooting a nest once and then throwing an item in the general direction of the swarm causes them to attack it and explode.

kiriin

Given all the complaints about the backtracking and pacing toward the end of the game, I wonder if just been better if they just gave us a more linear path or a single final area to end the story. Really liked the level design and exploration. It just becomes a problem when you already explored everywhere and backtracked every other thing but the plot forces you to backtrack even more. The final 30-40 minutes of the game was just about running everywhere and yoloing it.

What is up with those Weavers not getting hurt by my Psychoshock 3 at all? Do they like get insane strong in the final parts or something? I've now encountered several of them and my Psychoshock 3 doesn't damage them at all. Kinetic Burst does do some damage though.... ok then. Annoying buggers these.

Given all the complaints about the backtracking and pacing toward the end of the game, I wonder if just been better if they just gave us a more linear path or a single final area to end the story. Really liked the level design and exploration. It just becomes a problem when you already explored everywhere and backtracked every other thing but the plot forces you to backtrack even more. The final 30-40 minutes of the game was just about running everywhere and yoloing it.

I don't even mind the backtracking all that much but those constant loading times and they can be rather long.... not fun.

Sokka

What is up with those Weavers not getting hurt by my Psychoshock 3 at all? Do they like get insane strong in the final parts or something? I've now encountered several of them and my Psychoshock 3 doesn't damage them at all. Kinetic Burst does do some damage though.... ok then. Annoying buggers these.

I don't even mind the backtracking all that much but those constant loading times and they can be rather long.... not fun.

Could always have Prey installed on an SSD if you're playing on PC.
That's what I did.

ilium

Loading screens should've been masked by something like compression doors or the main lift in the lobby. But with 40sec loading on consoles I guess this just wasn't feasible.

I'm close to the end now, and it's ..starting to drag a little I feel. Not looking forward to backtrack all the areas I've already explored oh well.

Loading screens should've been masked by something like compression doors or the main lift in the lobby. But with 40sec loading on consoles I guess this just wasn't feasible.

I'm close to the end now, and it's ..starting to drag a little I feel. Not looking forward to backtrack all the areas I've already explored oh well.

they still done something more creative for the loading screens

and the backtracking isn't that bad, it takes longer to load each area than to navigate, at least it did for me since there weren't any real enemies.

FelipeMGM

One shot of GLOO Gun to make the Nests explode and throwing random floating objects to attract the Cystoids so they could blew up

Didnt spend a single bullet through that part

Yeah I like the idea of the elevator but seeing that everytime would probably be a bit much too.

This is some misleading stuff for the two main quests.

I was in Talos Lobby and it showed a waypoint to the self destruction key located in Arboretum. When I arrive there, gone is the waypoint.

It's clear I'm gonna need to go to Dahl.

munroe

They have some sort of 'shield' that blocks the first attack I think

saunderez

The final 30-40 minutes of the game was just about running everywhere and yoloing it.

I actually enjoyed doing that. Felt like a fitting send off to Talos 1, but I played it off SSD and the load times were fine. Console would be agony. I've done it twice to see the different endings, going to do it one last time to alter the ending before I declare myself done with the game. Anyone who is wanting to do multiple end runs on consoles has my sympathy.

munroe

I actually enjoyed doing that. Felt like a fitting send off to Talos 1, but I played it off SSD and the load times were fine. Console would be agony. I've done it twice to see the different endings, going to do it one last time to alter the ending before I declare myself done with the game. Anyone who is wanting to do multiple end runs on consoles has my sympathy.

I have it installed on an external, the load times aren't great but not so long that it's frustrating, I enjoyed the end segment also, well actually I enjoyed the whole thing.

Second play through so far, intend on doing another 2

Well Jesus, do fuck off a minute with these crashes now. I would say I am nearing the end but this just keeps going on.

I now need to go to the Neuromod Division where

Igwe is. This is an optional quest and it has to do with Dahl. Oh my way to his location it just crashed and a hour ago there was another crash.

Definitely still some annoying bugs in there.

Trying it again. Please don't crash, I am so close now.

There is no way to get that optional quest Who is December off the list, right? Except for actually doing that.

Hold on....

About Alex

I saved him. But now I received a transcribe that is exactly like the conversation I had with him about the nullwave device. Odd that it was exactly the same conversation. But he's dead now. No way to let him live?

Oh and as for this very last part....

to make that Nullwave device I need material. You can't make this shit up, but I am missing three pieces of that white material, sigh.

OBias

Hold on....

About Alex

I saved him. But now I received a transcribe that is exactly like the conversation I had with him about the nullwave device. Odd that it was exactly the same conversation. But he's dead now. No way to let him live?

You probably just picked up the transcribe from his unconscious body and he's actually still alive?

You probably just picked up the transcribe from his unconscious body and he's actually still alive?

well I spoke to him and then the attack happened. I then put him in his safe room.

And when I was going to the Talos elevator out of the blue it notified me of the transcribe.

This is some bullshit for real

I still only have one piece of that white material and I barely encounter any enemies anymore that give me that. Really?

Arkanius

WOW
THIS ENDING

I suspected a little bit that it all could be a
simulation
but i wasn't expecting that.

I did the
Nullwave
ending.
Is it worth to do the other ones?

OBias

well I spoke to him and then the attack happened. I then put him in his safe room.

And when I was going to the Talos elevator out of the blue it notified me of the transcribe.

Well, that's his backup recording in case he gets killed before he speaks to you. The game sometimes reminds you of transcribes you haven't listen to yet, I think. Alex should be fine, I also picked up this transcribe when I saved him.

This is some bullshit for real

I still only have one piece of that white material and I barely encounter any enemies anymore that give me that. Really?
Can't you just recycle something in your inventory? I had a lot of surplus items by the end.

Well, that's his backup recording in case he gets killed before he speaks to you. The game sometimes reminds you of transcribes you haven't listen to yet, I think. Alex should be fine, I also picked up this transcribe when I saved him.

Thanks man. Do you have any idea how to get that white material so I can make that
device? Im choosing to side with my brother on this. But I freaking lack two bits of that white material for it. Wow.

Top Bottom