• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WARIO LAND: THE SHAKE DIMENSION

jarrod

Banned
Yeah, key KCEK staff were involved in a number of good NES/SNES games...Umezaki himself worked on not just the Goemons, but also TMNT4, Contra, Super C, Sunset Riders, Batman Returns, Buster Busts Loose, Gradius II, Lifeforce, Gokujou Parodius and Animaniacs.

At KCEK, he worked of CotM, Krazy Racers, Rakuga Kids, Hybrid Heaven and the N64 Castlevanias. He also worked under Iga on the DS Castlevanias.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
as long as Kiyotake, Hosokawa, Matsuoka and Sakamoto are overseeing the game (and Yoshitomi is doing the music) I'm not worried at all

Hirofumi Matsuoka resigned from his position at Nintendo to work with former R&D1 colleague Hirokazu Tanaka at Creatures.

Takehiko Hosokawa, I am not sure what he has been doing.

Yoshio Sakamoto will most likely not be involved in the production of this game. Sakamoto only works on two games at a time, and usually its games his core team is involved in. He doesn't do much external production.

Hiroji Kiyotake I think has retired. Or has taken a less stressful role where he just supervises art designs.

Poor R&D1. I still wonder why Sakamoto never got this big force behind him. Perhaps it's his peculiarity or idiosyncrasies.

TreIII

jarrod said:
Yeah, key KCEK staff were involved in a number of good NES/SNES games...Umezaki himself worked on not just the Goemons, but also TMNT4, Contra, Super C, Sunset Riders, Batman Returns, Buster Busts Loose, Gradius II, Lifeforce, Gokujou Parodius and Animaniacs.

At KCEK, he worked of CotM, Krazy Racers, Rakuga Kids, Hybrid Heaven and the N64 Castlevanias. He also worked under Iga on the DS Castlevanias.

Wow, that is a rather impressive "resume", I would think.

That said, again, I don't think there's too much reason to be fearful here. If these guys worked on a number of Konami's greats back in the day, and relatively currently, then there may stand to reason that they still have what it takes.

...And if nothing else, again, it ain't Suzak. Ain't that good enough, in itself? :lol

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Rhythm Tengoku Gold & Metroid Dread? Plz?!

The last revision of R&D1 consisted of 2 teams. One was Sakamoto's and one was Matsuoka's.

Right after the first Wario Ware. Matsuoka left the team. And several team members were drafted into the Brain-Age project away from R&D1 / SPD1.

So now Sakamoto had like 1 team.. he would try to stretch two projects out of.

Metroid: Zero Mission ---- > Rhythm Tengoku
Wario Ware Team ----> More Warios

Recently.. several of his planners and designers squeezed out Card Hero with the help of Intelligent Systems programmers.

I am still shocked no Detective Club has been announced. The Wii and DS are ideal platforms for the series to be re-invented.

Datschge

Thanks, Shikamaru Ninja. I guess I'll hope for now Takehiko Hosokawa is magically involved in this coming Wario game then...

Btw. can you shed some light on how it comes that former R&D1 fell apart while IS grew much more in staff and teams since the departure of Kaga?

Vinci

Danish
I don't see any reason to be nervous. Nintendo is bound to be looking over these guys' shoulders to ensure they do a decent job on the game. If they didn't feel they were up to the task, Nintendo wouldn't have given them the option to make it. It's not like Nintendo needs a Wario game for the Wii to make the platform successful; they could've waited for someone better if Good Feel couldn't do it.

Vinci said:
I don't see any reason to be nervous. Nintendo is bound to be looking over these guys' shoulders to ensure they do a decent job on the game. If they didn't feel they were up to the task, Nintendo wouldn't have given them the option to make it. It's not like Nintendo needs a Wario game for the Wii to make the platform successful; they could've waited for someone better if Good Feel couldn't do it.

Yeah, Artoon did a great job on Yoshi's Island DS, Nintendo's oversight turns shit into gold, just look at Geist!

jarrod

Banned
TreIII said:
...And if nothing else, again, it ain't Suzak. Ain't that good enough, in itself? :lol
Thank heaven for small favors... hopefully the game actually carrying the "Wario Land" title specifically is a reflection on it's quality.

Suzak needs to die in a fire for what they've done to Wario & F-Zero...

Shikamaru Ninja said:
So now Sakamoto had like 1 team.. he would try to stretch two projects out of.

Metroid: Zero Mission ---- > Rhythm Tengoku
Wario Ware Team ----> More Warios

Recently.. several of his planners and designers squeezed out Card Hero with the help of Intelligent Systems programmers.
IntSys helps on basically all the WarioWares now too, right? That team's probably doing the rumored Balance Board WarioWare then?

I'm still holding out hope we'll see Dread some day, in some form. :(

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I am still shocked no Detective Club has been announced. The Wii and DS are ideal platforms for the series to be re-invented.
Seems like a good fit, especially for DS. Given that HAL and IntSys have suddenly gone remake crazy, maybe we'll get the same from SPD?

Vinci

Danish
Nuclear Muffin said:
Yeah, Artoon did a great job on Yoshi's Island DS, Nintendo's oversight turns shit into gold, just look at Geist!

Meanwhile there have been many other outsourced games that weren't shit. And as far as I know, some people actually like Yoshi's Island DS, didn't they?

jarrod

Banned
Vinci said:
Meanwhile there have been many other outsourced games that weren't shit. And as far as I know, some people actually like Yoshi's Island DS, didn't they?
On NeoGAF, it's better regarded than NSMB. Deservedly so imo... Blue Dragon's good too and AWAY looks great, Artoon's been on quite the upswing honestly.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Thanks, Shikamaru Ninja. I guess I'll hope for now Takehiko Hosokawa is magically involved in this coming Wario game then...

Btw. can you shed some light on how it comes that former R&D1 fell apart while IS grew much more in staff and teams since the departure of Kaga?

I don't think Intelligent Systems has grown that much over the past decade. They are still registering around the 80 man employee mark.

The thing is.. that Nintendo likes using their programmers as "experimenters". When they come up with interesting ideas, the designers take it and run with it. Thus most of Nintendo's R&D is purely testing new ideas.

Then you have Intelligent Systems. They pump out niche sequels constantly.. and really don't have to experiment much. Nintendo likes to use their non-occupied programmers as frequently as possible to assist their design groups outside of EAD.

wazoo

some of the YI criticisms include the lack of news (not really YI 2), the lack of graphical punch (some animation look better in the SNES version), and the infamous use of the gap between the two screens

TreIII

jarrod said:
On NeoGAF, it's better regarded than NSMB. Deservedly so imo...

Same here. YIDS didn't exactly re-invent the wheel any better than NSMB did, but overall, it was exactly what I was wanting from a Yoshi game for many moons, after years of the likes of Yoshi's Story, Topsy-Turvy, and so many others that were simply NOT Yoshi's Island.

The fact that it also happened to be a decent challenge in some ways, gave it even more clout in my eyes, as compared to NSMB.

Dubble

TreIII said:
Same here. YIDS didn't exactly re-invent the wheel any better than NSMB did, but overall, it was exactly what I was wanting from a Yoshi game for many moons, after years of the likes of Yoshi's Story, Topsy-Turvy, and so many others that were simply NOT Yoshi's Island.

The fact that it also happened to be a decent challenge in some ways, gave it even more clout in my eyes, as compared to NSMB.

Exactly my thoughts on it. people seem to very easily forget the major dissapointments that were Yoshi's Story and Universal Gravitation. And Touch and Go was more of an arcade high score demo than anything else. If anything, while I am of the opinion that both are good games, I think NSMB is a bit more overrated than YIDS.

Datschge

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I don't think Intelligent Systems has grown that much over the past decade. They are still registering around the 80 man employee mark.
Their website says 115 actually. It also states that of those 44 employees are programmers (which I'm sure is a higher percent of the staff than in average game companies) so it's easy to see how Nintendo borrowing them for its designers can work as you described, thanks. =) What I always find amazing is the amount of games credited to them starting with GBA/GC. The era of N64/GBC looks so inactive compared to before and (especially) after.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
amount of games credited to them

That's the area you have to dissect though. Very often their involvement is very minor in lots of games outside of the Fire Emblem and Advance Wars series.

Gagaman

Those that are sad because of outsourcing need to remember:

nintendo_gamecube-f-zero_gx.jpg

TreIII

Gagaman said:

And it's not like we should even be all that sad in the first place.

Now that we know the fact that this game is basically being handled by a guy and his road dawgs who brought us so many good, Konami-related things that we have loved over the last decade and some change, I think it would be safe to presume this game is in good hands.

If these guys live up to what their resume suggests, these guys could quite possibly be another "Treasure" in the making. And I'd certainly be up for that...adding another name to my list which consists of Treasure, TOSE and WayForward would be definitely a great thing...

Stealth

So long as it plays and has the look of Wario Land 4 I'll be there Day One. WL4 was one of the best original platformers on the GBA.

Koren

AniHawk said:
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. Go out and buy it now. It's 15 bucks and it's awesome (made by the Super Mario Galaxy crew)
Played it and loved it... Sorry, I forgot about this game, maybe because it's a bit strange platformer.

But nevertheless, EAD Tokyo has so much talent that I prefer that they work on another gem AND having some of Mystical Ninja people creating a nice new platformer. Victory on both fronts. The more good games, the better. ^_^

TreIII

Stealth said:
So long as it plays and has the look of Wario Land 4 I'll be there Day One. WL4 was one of the best original platformers on the GBA.

I dunno. While I liked the later Wario games fine, I still love the style of the original (and by extension the Virtual Boy game, which was REALLY the only outstanding title on that system).

Garlic Pots and getting Hats that allowed Wario to Fly and Spew Dragon Fire was awesome, and I'd personally love to see it again.

On the other hand, if they were willing to take Wario in a new, exciting direction, which also happened to be a GOOD one (key word!), I'd be open to that too.

lyre said:
I'm keeping an eye on this, however, I am saddened of the lack of biker dude Wario. :(

Biker Wario is seemingly exclusive to WarioWare/Made in Wario. And as far as I'm concerned, it can stay that way. Wario dons his overalls when he's in a treasure hunting/misadventure-ing mode, and his biker garbs when he's running his game company, and I can appreciate that.

TreIII said:
And it's not like we should even be all that sad in the first place.

Now that we know the fact that this game is basically being handled by a guy and his road dawgs who brought us so many good, Konami-related things that we have loved over the last decade and some change, I think it would be safe to presume this game is in good hands.

If these guys live up to what their resume suggests, these guys could quite possibly be another "Treasure" in the making. And I'd certainly be up for that...adding another name to my list which consists of Treasure, TOSE and WayForward would be definitely a great thing...

You did not just say what I think you said, did you?

I just hope this new game is bigger than Wario Land 4.

TreIII said:
Biker Wario is seemingly exclusive to WarioWare/Made in Wario. And as far as I'm concerned, it can stay that way. Wario dons his overalls when he's in a treasure hunting/misadventure-ing mode, and his biker garbs when he's running his game company, and I can appreciate that.
Yeah, biker Wario platforming would be like... Dr. Mario Galaxy.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gagaman said:

I just noticed Sega isn't on the box art.

Yeah, biker Wario platforming would be like... Dr. Mario Galaxy.
I would really like to see an unlockable Dr. Mario outfit in a Mario Platformer one day.

TreIII

cartman414 said:
You did not just say what I think you said, did you?

Why not? I like TOSE. They've been responsible for a good number of games that I've liked over the years (that I'm aware of at least, given their "Ninja Developer" status). To say the least, MGS: Ghost Babel (which is probably the only MGS game I've really given two hoots about in these last few years), as well as Stafy.

Furthermore, I'm looking forward to their new and upcoming Stafy game for the DS this year.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I'm actually getting pretty hyped for this. The developer seems to have some good credentials, the game is 2D and sprite-based (or so it appears), and it looks like it's bringing back Wario's old nemesis, Captain Syrup. I really hope that this turns out good.

TreIII said:
Why not? I like TOSE. They've been responsible for a good number of games that I've liked over the years (that I'm aware of at least, given their "Ninja Developer" status). To say the least, MGS: Ghost Babel (which is probably the only MGS game I've really given two hoots about in these last few years), as well as Stafy.

Furthermore, I'm looking forward to their new and upcoming Stafy game for the DS this year.

Ahhh. Maybe they're just bad at porting then. My bad.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Joseph Merrick said:
I like this. Why no vertical bars for the white rows?

I accidentally messed that up today when I fixed a typo I noticed after I made that post.

Anyway doshin and the first kururin are not jap only, as you probably know. :) Edit: Also Cubivore/Animal Leader should be in this list?

I originally made this for JPN versus US. I'll probably update it to make it Euro-sensitive at some point. I did list Tingle as available for the US since it's importable without region modding.

For franchises that only have one game, I made a personal choice to include them or not--for example, I did not include Napoleon or Tomato Kingdom for the GBA. There are a few not yet included that should be, though, like Magical Starsign/Vacation. Atlus actually published Cubivore in the US so I took that as a sign that I should look at it as a one-off game rather than a full IP.

Thanks for the comments, though, and I'll fix the bar thing fairly soon. :D

Dubble

I don't *MIND* Wario Ware myself (as a party game its a lot of fun with friends and a hell of a lot better than the same old Mario Party crap), but really I **PINE** for the halcyon days of the Land Series.

Wariolands 1, 2, and 3 were my handheld crack. 4 was OK (3 was brilliantly designed but it was at this point that they started to get more and more experimental) but I prefer the original duo with VB Wario Land. They were all just MARVELOUS intelligently designed games. You just don't see that kind of stuff anymore.

The return to sprites also makes me smile. :)

jesusraz

jarrod said:
It currently has two Wii/DS 'secret projects' in the works, according to its official website...I wonder if one is F-Zero DS? ;) F-Zero Climax was actually a decent racer and far better than GP Legend.

jarrod

Banned
jesusraz said:
It currently has two Wii/DS 'secret projects' in the works, according to its official website...I wonder if one is F-Zero DS? ;) F-Zero Climax was actually a decent racer and far better than GP Legend.
Ugh, I hope not. One of those two games was that Jaleco truck racer for Wii btw, came out already earlier this year.

Pojo

Banned
AniHawk said:
The further we can get from Wario Ware, the better for the franchise.
In a perfect world, both would co-exist without cannibalizing the other.

And the DS Master of Disguise or whatever wouldn't exist.

jarrod said:
Thank heaven for small favors... hopefully the game actually carrying the "Wario Land" title specifically is a reflection on it's quality.

Wow, wow, wow, stop there a moment.
Its true that suzak wario sucks, and F-Zero GP legend is only half decent, BUT F-Zero Climax is the best 2D fucking f-zero game, yes better than Maximum Velocity (and that game was awesome, but no Captain Falcon = FAIL (his son can die in fire), what the heck, no original cast = BIG FAIL, no awesome retro f-zero music = MULTI FAIL, no Mute City (to hell with Bianca City), Big Blue and rest of awesome racing circuits = MAXIMUM FAIL!).
It really saddens me that Climax couldnt arrive to the western market becuase its an awesome f-zero, with all the cast and more
Neo-Falcon FTW
, with the classic circuits, with the best 2D F-Zero Music (Mist Flow is incredible), with the anime super turbo attack, with Make Your Own Circuit, with secret modes and with an excellent difficulty curve (not like gp legend that was really easy).

Pojo said:
In a perfect world, both would co-exist without cannibalizing the other.

And the DS Master of Disguise or whatever wouldn't exist.

I look forward to see higher quality screenshots and gameplay videos. Boy, am I glad that we are going to see a true side-scroller on Wii!

Now, Nintendo, give us a true sequel to Yoshi's Island on Wii! Side-scrolling and using the Wiimote to aim your eggs would be a dream come true.

TreIII

I look forward to this week's Famitsu, which reportedly, is supposed to have the first real scoop on this game (ideally, with MUCH better screen shots).

At this point, all Nintendo needs to do is just confirm a release date for Kirby Wii. This game and that game will just give me more reason to line their pockets with my money. :lol

Top Bottom