• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

A solution to Episode 3 of Abyss could have been the opposite of going faster, but going slower and dedicate a pair more of episodes to adventures with the school friends in the first level, that way when they are separated it would feel more impactful.

But right now it didn't feel important for the viewer, nor it was brief enough to not feel wasteful.

Pretty much the worst of both worlds.
Yes, I agree with this stance, but only with the luxury of time. Given the restraints of broadcast anime I feel it's a mismatch. I'd accept 6 episodes worth of "dicking around" in the home town before adventure time in a manga, for example, or in a book. Promised Neverland is doing just this. But Made in Abyss is, what, 12, 13? And this isn't the kind of show to get more than 2 seasons. I'd like to see as much of the Abyss as possible in that time.

MiA gives me strong Dennou Coil vibes. And if Dennou Coil lingered on the city Yasako lived in before moving to Daikoku where all the interesting stuff is happening I'd probably feel the same as I do now, but that's holding MiA up to an obscene standard I admit. It's just to illustrate what I wanted out of Made in Abyss.

I guess another way of looking at it is if they were going to explore life outside of the Abyss I would've liked to see much more than we did, and if they were going to spend most of their time dungeon crawling I'd like to see as much dungeon crawling as possible, but 3 episodes in I feel they picked the worst of either side.

Sure, on a very practical level I can't disagree with those concerns. This series probably exists solely to promote a manga which may well be years from ending (anyone with any knowledge feel free to chip in!), and so we might as well just get going.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Anime is a second class citizen in the world of Japanese media.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I would say that the focus of Abyss this week was on the contrast between Reg and Riko with how they approach leaving the town. Reg is a "robot" and new to the surface but he still shows the stronger conviction with tying up loose ends. Do Riko's familial ties trump what she knows? Is her connection to the Abyss by birth stronger than Reg's? Maybe these questions would be better served at a different point in the story.

It's pretty hard to sell a dilemma or emotions for characters we aren't expecting to see again though. There's not a solid little story loop for the surface or the characters we are leaving behind on it. How much of interest can Nat stir up when he's in this position? The answer is not a lot.

Taruranto

Ballroom #2

PiqnFhH.jpg

bMfG3fl.jpg

=

This is fucking terrifying.

It's also far less mature than I was expecting. I actually thought it was a seinen or a josei, but it actually runs on a shounen magazine, so I guess it makes sense.

DNAbro

Pretty much the worst of both worlds.

Sure, on a very practical level I can't disagree with those concerns. This series probably exists solely to promote a manga which may well be years from ending (anyone with any knowledge feel free to chip in!), and so we might as well just get going.

I don't believe it's finished yet and from what has been translated, it's kind of hard to tell how much is left. The actual depth of the Abyss is a problem because there isn't a way to know if it goes deeper than what has been shown.

I'm pretty sure I know the point where the show is going to stop and it will be at the end of a really cool part. I would be kind of pissed if they don't get to it actually.

Shergal

This series probably exists solely to promote a manga which may well be years from ending (anyone with any knowledge feel free to chip in!)

Unless the author succumbs to the temptation of milking it I don't think the manga has more than 30 chapters left, but considering the release schedule those 30 chapters could well take over 4 years.

HEYBOT! 41

Ok so this episode starts by having them still in Prison from last episode for no reason so they have to make the worst jailbreak plan ever involving the most obvious foreshadowing and Chekov's Guns but since this is Heybot you will never see the most obvious of things coming because the show is usually so non sequitur

Cant tell if this is brilliant or if I put more thought into that then the episode did

every new screen of that dancing show bothers me too much, at what point does it stop being a mistake and it becomes deliberate that they don't know neck length proportions.

JulianImp

Guess I'll hold out hope for the show to not become a complete mess as I go on, but...

Code Geass R2 - #26 (S2E1)
...What in the world was this?

I never really expected a timeskip that would conveniently only explain that Zero was gone, and ignore everything else around it. The moment I saw Lelouch run away from the pureblood girl (who was now a generic teacher at his school, mind you) I already sort of lost it, and then he even went gambling with his one and only little brother? And Kallen seemingly didn't recognize him, except she actually did? What?

What was even the point of giving Lelouch some semblance of his old life back through whichever as-of-yet unexplained reasons, only to reinstate the status quo within the span of a single episode? What could possibly be worth doing a timeskip in the middle of what was going on in Ep25, other than the cheap mystery factor? Did the writers somehow feel like they really had to mirror ep1 to the point they did here?

Also, was this second season aired right as the first ended, or were watchers subjected to a long wait after one of the most anticlimatic season finales I've seen?

I sat through the entirety of Gundam 00 S2 and its movie.

I'm pretty sure I can handle Destiny.

Destiny is many times better than 00 Movie. Destiny is trainwreck but with some entertainment. 00 Movie is just fucking bad. If you can watch trough 00 second season and movie you can also watch Destiny.

Guess I'll hold out hope for the show to not become a complete mess as I go on, but...

I never really expected a timeskip that would conveniently only explain that Zero was gone, and ignore everything else around it. The moment I saw Lelouch run away from the pureblood girl (who was now a generic teacher at his school, mind you) I already sort of lost it, and then he even went gambling with his one and only little brother? And Kallen seemingly didn't recognize him, except she actually did? What?

What was even the point of giving Lelouch some semblance of his old life back through whichever as-of-yet unexplained reasons, only to reinstate the status quo within the span of a single episode? What could possibly be worth doing a timeskip in the middle of what was going on in Ep25, other than the cheap mystery factor? Did the writers somehow feel like they really had to mirror ep1 to the point they did here?

Also, was this second season aired right as the first ended, or were watchers subjected to a long wait after one of the most anticlimatic season finales I've seen?

hahaha yessssss

There was a yearlong wait between seasons. Also, I believe it switched stations.

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

WE GOT FUN N' GAMES

Eccentric Family Episode 5

Benten still infuriates me lol. She so damn spoiled and how can she love something so much and then just eat it especially one that acts so human. Like if you eat Yabasuro he will be gone. It doesn't help she is so passive about it. I guess that's just her character being an antagonist. Also one of the Friendly Fellows while nice for saving Yabasuro's mother his perspective on Tanukis is weird. How do you go around loving Tanukis but not have second thoughts eating them. Some of these characters are really weird. Now that I think about it Humans do this shit all the time lol.

Also is it me or is Yabasuro
really apathetic towards his father's death. I mean he seems so indifferent towards it. And when Benten says he was delicious he didn't even show any emotions
. I am enjoying this show, but damn I just can't understand some of these characters. Am I missing something?

Really love the OP and Ending.

Dragon Ball Super, Episode 100 - Felt like someone at Toei got drunk on Member Berries. Member Broly?

hahaha yessssss

There was a yearlong wait between seasons. Also, I believe it switched stations.

It switched Stations and it's air time from late night to 5pm, So a lot of the early Season 2 meanders in-order for new viewers to get caught up to speed.

SkyOdin

Code Geass and Gundam 00 were alternating, so there was a six-month gap between Code Geass season 1 and season 2. Furthermore, there was a change in timeslot for the show between seasons, so the creators made some changes to their plans to make it easier for new viewers to jump in.

JCG

What could possibly be worth doing a timeskip in the middle of what was going on in Ep25, other than the cheap mystery factor? Did the writers somehow feel like they really had to mirror ep1 to the point they did here?

You'll get the in-universe explanation next episode or so. But this was mainly done for reasons external to the series. Namely, for the sake of people who didn't get to see the first season, since the show was getting moved from late night to a more popular timeslot. Not a very good idea, most would argue, but alas. Btw, there's a translated script for the original version of episode "26" if you're curious.

Cornbread78

Made in Abyss ep.3

And the journey officially begins now. The little kid that stayed back is definitely going to die, I mean, those were giant death flags all over the place... I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Dragon Ball Super 100

If you are wondering just how Broly the girl Broly is, well ;

Yeah. Apparently theres no Legendary Super Saiyan myth because Vegeta didn't say anything and isn't pissing his pants. Other then that its pretty much the same. Berserker rage directed at Goku.

JulianImp

hahaha yessssss

It switched Stations and it's air time from late night to 5pm, So a lot of the early Season 2 meanders in-order for new viewers to get caught up to speed.

Ow, that must've hurt... and sort of explains why the first S2 episode was so similar to the one in S1.

Also, it's no wonder that Wakamoto gets to rule the world if he has the ability to overwrite people's memories.

Nikodemos

I've a military-themed anime hankering, so I came here for recommendations.

I've already watched GuP and Strike Witches and liked those, if you need a sort of starting point for your recommendations. Also watched Jormungand and the sequel, and while the show was very nice, the premise was ehh (interestingly, her own brother calls her out on that).

Don't want to watch Youjo Senki due to the 'Not-zi' glorification undertones of the whole thing. Also, I've read there a pretty strong undercurrent of militaristic nationalism in Gate, so I guess i'll give that one a miss as well.

What should I look up? Brave Witches? Haifuri? Arpeggio of Blue Steel? Izetta? Sora no Woto? Valkyria Chronicles The Animation? The Pilot's Love Song?

Also, I have an immensely high tolerance for ecchi and fanservice, so don't refrain from recommending stuff which contains it. Heck I unironically watched and liked Valkyrie Drive. OTOH I absolutely hate dumb names, which unfortunately Japanese authors sometimes saddle their characters with. Satellizer el Bridget?!? What the high-flying fuck is that?!?

Narag

I've a military-themed anime hankering, so I came here for recommendations.

I've already watched GuP and Strike Witches and liked those, if you need a sort of starting point for your recommendations. Also watched Jormungand and the sequel, and while the show was very nice, the premise was ehh (interestingly, her own brother calls her out on that).

Don't want to watch Youjo Senki due to the 'Not-zi' glorification undertones of the whole thing. Also, I've read there a pretty strong undercurrent of militaristic nationalism in Gate, so I guess i'll give that one a miss as well.

What should I look up? Brave Witches? Haifuri? Arpeggio of Blue Steel? Izetta? Sora no Woto? Valkyria Chronicles The Animation? The Pilot's Love Song?

Also, I have an immensely high tolerance for ecchi and fanservice, so don't refrain from recommending stuff which contains it. Heck I unironically watched and liked Valkyrie Drive. OTOH I absolutely hate dumb names, which unfortunately Japanese authors sometimes saddle their characters with. Satellizer el Bridget?!? What the high-flying fuck is that?!?

Brave Witches and Kantai Collection are safe bets given what you've enjoyed so far. Sora no Woto isn't a fanservice show but probably the best out of everything you listed and a great show in its own right.

JulianImp

I only watched Izetta out of those, and I'd say it was generic as hell with its premise and the way the plot unfolded, on top of having a couple short random fanservice moments for some reason.

Youjo Senki is actually pretty decent, but I understand why some people might not want to watch a show that has a protagonist that fights for a country that's Nazi Germany in all but name.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Haifuri starts off strong but the plot heads in a dull direction. The naval combat is as exciting as you can expect naval combat to be. It's no GuP though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom