• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

I believe powdered caffiene is all but banned in a lot of places since it's basically lethal. Guess I can't say how that differs from pills, but there were a few deaths associated with it in powdered form.
Pretty sure a bunch of peeps don't understand milligrams vs grams or just used spoons to measure. Even with my scale in mg i would be terrified measuring it. Pills are default. I'm sure people OD'd on them too.

I imagine it would be a lot like death from Aspirin or other OTC meds. They bore a hole through your stomach and you die from internal bleeding. Although your adrenal glands would probably fail hard. Horrible way, I imagine.

Edit: top of page. Fuck.

WELCOME NOOBLETS. Don't do anything stupid!

Irobot82

Pretty sure a bunch of peeps don't understand milligrams vs grams or just used spoons to measure. Even with my scale in mg i would be terrified measuring it. Pills are default. I'm sure people OD'd on them too.

I imagine it would be a lot like death from Aspirin or other OTC meds. They bore a hole through your stomach and you die from internal bleeding. Although your adrenal glands would probably fail hard. Horrible way, I imagine.

Edit: top of page. Fuck.

WELCOME NOOBLETS. Don't do anything stupid!

Do you crush the pills into your pre-workout or just pop the pills and down the powder in like a water/mio type mix?

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting to this community but have read through some threads before and it seems like a really solid place to discuss fitness with some great people. Going to post some progress pics here, first pic is from September and and the second pic is from a couple of days ago. I dicked around from sept-nov figuring everything out in the weight room, and then worked out very inconsistently over finals late november and winter break in december.

I hit a 6 day reddit beginner ppl hard from mid-january until now with not much of a lapse at all, been pretty consistent. I can edit and go into more detail later about how much lifts have increased from beginning, diet, etc. but going to post these for now.

Here is the imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/O1Jdh

As you can see, I started out as a pretty bad case of skinny fat in the first picture and I am now addicted to lifting, it's an amazing routine to build into your day.

Edit:

Ok so for some stats, here is what I hit in each of my last sessions.
Bench 5x5 - 160
Squats 3x5 - 215
Deadlifts 1x5+ - 225

Everything is still pretty low but my squats and deadlifts are pretty low comparably because I kept deloading until I felt like I was getting proper form. Now I have been making steady progress in those the past few weeks going up each session and I am pretty happy with my form, I feel that it was worth the constant deloading to get it right. I also started bench with just the bar and struggled with that at first, I can't remember where I started squats and deadlifts but both were pretty low (wish I had recorded what I had started with exactly).

Diet (Got serious about diet in January as well):
Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt, one piece of whole wheat bread. 2 Orange triad fish oil pills and 3 orange triad mvs
Lunch: Local health kitchen, usually get a protein packed whole wheat wrap and what they call protein muffins
Dinner: Varies the most since I still like to go out with friends, etc. but most days it is brown rice, chicken and steamed vegetables with either soy sauce or sriracha. Also, 1 fish oil pill and 3 mvs
snacks: ON protein shake, usually 1 quest bar, sometimes TJs low sodium beef jerky, sometimes brown rice cakes, it varies.
Supplements: 5g creatine a day, c4 preworkout

I could probably keep much better track of how much I am eating, etc. but I am happy so far with the progress I have made so maybe that is something I can ease into later.
Stats: 5'11", age 24, weight 180, bf probably around 16-17% not really sure. I have gained probably 10 pounds overall, started around 170. I feel like I weigh a lot for where I'm at but I carry a lot of weight in my legs, planning on cutting eventually but no set date on that.

I tend not to use caffeine pills. If I need an extra kick I go the double espresso route.
I switch between both. Some days I go for joe and other days pop a pill. Weather is breaking so I'll be cold brewing some of that sweet sweet hazelnut goodness, put that shit in the fridge when I get to the yard in the AM and slam it on the way home after a hot day in the sun.

Creatine, Taruine, Beta Alanine, Citrulline Malate, BCAA (I work out fasted).

(I can't actually remember why I take Taurine right now, but it had to do with offsetting some effect of one of the other supplements... beta alanine I think)

Creatine, Taruine, Beta Alanine, Citrulline Malate, BCAA (I work out fasted).

(I can't actually remember why I take Taurine right now, but it had to do with offsetting some effect of one of the other supplements)
I've never had taurine outside of the occasional Red Bull. Worth it?

Edit to your edit:
Works similarly to Creatine-ish in increasing the ability to pull water into the muscles and increase contraction. I am reading it is recommended when taking Beta Alinine.

I don't believe it does anything much on its own, definitely something to do with beta-alanine causing a deficiency or something though. I don't really have the time to look into it right now.

mdsfx

I thought Taurine was somewhat of a caffeine replacement/ stimulant. Isn't that why it's used in energy drinks?

Managed to walk 8 miles at work, after I did squats yesterday.

I really can't today. It all aches

Lol, tell me about it. I cycled ~23 miles yesterday after doing legs the previous day. I was supposed to be resting, but my friends suggested we go to a huge nature reserve 10 miles away from where we live and I couldn't say no. Tons of inclines too. Legs are SHOT.

mdsfx

I'm going to try my absolute best to be an active participant in OT9!!
I don't know you but your name rings a bell which means you've been mentioned before and are probably fucking huge and/or shredded. Just a hunch.

Edit: v thought so v

I don't know you but your name rings a bell which means you've been mentioned before and are probably fucking huge and/or shredded. Just a hunch.

Edit: v thought so v

I'm just me, always remaining humble.

You're an inspiration for sure dude. Post more! What are you up to these days?

I've been getting summer ready, so I've upped my cardio, which is High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) by way of Boxing/Boxing Conditioning. I link with my Coach Tuesdays and Thursdays for two-a-days (6AM & 6PM).

For a while, due to my boxing I was only able to make it to the gym twice a week. Now that I have the hang of my boxing schedule I'm integrating Max Upper, Dynamic Upper, and Max Lower days into my weekly schedule. The Max Upper, Dynamic Upper, and Max Lower days are based on Joe DeFranco 'Westside 4 Skinny Bastards'.

I have to intake calories like crazy, and I'm still a vegan, so I have to eat a hell-of a lot.

JCX

I'm performing at a comedy festival next month and volunteered to do an underwear comedy show. Figure it is enough motivation to really fix the diet.

BumRush

I'm just me, always remaining humble.

I've been getting summer ready, so I've upped my cardio, which is High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) by way of Boxing/Boxing Conditioning. I link with my Coach Tuesdays and Thursdays for two-a-days (6AM & 6PM).

For a while, due to my boxing I was only able to make it to the gym twice a week. Now that I have the hang of my boxing schedule I'm integrating Max Upper, Dynamic Upper, and Max Lower days into my weekly schedule. The Max Upper, Dynamic Upper, and Max Lower days are based on Joe DeFranco 'Westside 4 Skinny Bastards'.

I have to intake calories like crazy, and I'm still a vegan, so I have to eat a hell-of a lot.

That workout looks pretty good. Maybe I'll give it a shot when I'm done with my current plan.

For anyone interested: https://www.defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1/

Alastor3

About meal prep, should I buy some pyrex container or just lots of plastic one ? Any good online place to order these for Canada?

BumRush

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting to this community but have read through some threads before and it seems like a really solid place to discuss fitness with some great people. Going to post some progress pics here, first pic is from September and and the second pic is from a couple of days ago. I dicked around from sept-nov figuring everything out in the weight room, and then worked out very inconsistently over finals late november and winter break in december.

I hit a 6 day reddit beginner ppl hard from mid-january until now with not much of a lapse at all, been pretty consistent. I can edit and go into more detail later about how much lifts have increased from beginning, diet, etc. but going to post these for now.

Here is the imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/O1Jdh

As you can see, I started out as a pretty bad case of skinny fat in the first picture and I am now addicted to lifting, it's an amazing routine to build into your day.

Edit:

Ok so for some stats, here is what I hit in each of my last sessions.
Bench 5x5 - 160
Squats 3x5 - 215
Deadlifts 1x5+ - 225

Everything is still pretty low but my squats and deadlifts are pretty low comparably because I kept deloading until I felt like I was getting proper form. Now I have been making steady progress in those the past few weeks going up each session and I am pretty happy with my form, I feel that it was worth the constant deloading to get it right. I also started bench with just the bar and struggled with that at first, I can't remember where I started squats and deadlifts but both were pretty low (wish I had recorded what I had started with exactly).

Diet (Got serious about diet in January as well):
Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt, one piece of whole wheat bread. 2 Orange triad fish oil pills and 3 orange triad mvs
Lunch: Local health kitchen, usually get a protein packed whole wheat wrap and what they call protein muffins
Dinner: Varies the most since I still like to go out with friends, etc. but most days it is brown rice, chicken and steamed vegetables with either soy sauce or sriracha. Also, 1 fish oil pill and 3 mvs
snacks: ON protein shake, usually 1 quest bar, sometimes TJs low sodium beef jerky, sometimes brown rice cakes, it varies.
Supplements: 5g creatine a day, c4 preworkout

I could probably keep much better track of how much I am eating, etc. but I am happy so far with the progress I have made so maybe that is something I can ease into later.
Stats: 5'11", age 24, weight 180, bf probably around 16-17% not really sure. I have gained probably 10 pounds overall, started around 170. I feel like I weigh a lot for where I'm at but I carry a lot of weight in my legs, planning on cutting eventually but no set date on that.

Dude, I can't get to the whole post now because I just jumped on a CC but your September -> Now progress is phenomenal. Great chest growth! Keep it up!

About meal prep, should I buy some pyrex container or just lots of plastic one ? Any good online place to order these for Canada?

Inexpensive plastic ones; They are dirt cheap. Why ruin expensive containers when you can ruin inexpensive ones. They all will have to be replace eventually anyways, save yourself some money.

mdsfx

Tried running today after squats, while still recovering from the run yesterday. Felt like someone had tied weights to my ankles. Only ran 2 miles before switching to a bike lol

Psycho, I need your bionic legs just for like hour. I'll give them back as soon as I'm done.

Cagey

Banned
Any experience here with the heart rate monitoring Fitbit? The wife bought one and it's giving her calorie estimates based on what the device thinks she's burning in a given day. I'm... skeptical.

What sort of accuracy do these things have?

mdsfx

Psycho to respond with reasons not to trust them in 3...2...

I use a TomTom Multisport Cardio when I run outside and the optical heart rate monitor seems to work fairly well. As far as calories burned, I usually don't trust it. There are so many factors that change person to person.

I wouldn't even know where to begin to be honest. In short, really not good accuracy. I'd go as far as to say that basing any decisions on them would be counter productive in terms of weight loss at least.

I'm sure it works out for some people, but I'd wager it's luck more than judgement.

There was supposed to be a standard in use where you could go and get a few things tested to get a MUUUUUCH more accurate / useable number, but it sort of died away when they realised that no-one could be arsed with that sort of effort, and those that could generally knew what they were doing already.

prolly the stair stepper for now

mix in treadmill or elliptical for some variety

I recommend the Stair Master to everyone, it's cardio that builds (shapes) muscle. Depending on what you're trying to do, I recommend fasted cardio. If you want a serious cuts, fasted cardio is KING!

Also, no resting on the bars while on the Stair Master, that's cheating.

Dude, I can't get to the whole post now because I just jumped on a CC but your September -> Now progress is phenomenal. Great chest growth! Keep it up!

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with my progress overall except for that nov-dec stretch where I could have been doing so much more. Do you guys think it's normal for me to be 180 pounds? I can't lift that heavy, or anywhere near someone of my weight should be able to lift, but I also don't feel particularly fat so I don't think I'm overweight. Not sure why I weigh as much as I do.

bchamba

Code:
[IMG]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0232/0543/products/Cardio-Raskol_b447e98a-22b7-4a7d-af87-20091e4b0c3b_grande.jpg?v=1452998324[/IMG]

I recommend the Stair Master to everyone, it's cardio that builds (shapes) muscle. Depending on what you're trying to do, I recommend fasted cardio. If you want a serious cuts, fasted cardio is KING!

Also, no resting on the bars while on the Stair Master, that's cheating.

yeah my plan is to just do LISS for a bit. Then man up and do some HIIT once a week or some shit. I have to get my mindset right.

I can't tell you how many times I see someone with their whole torso flopped over the display and bars. Cracks me up.

Bruh, I'm sorry. I get tired!

BumRush

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with my progress overall except for that nov-dec stretch where I could have been doing so much more. Do you guys think it's normal for me to be 180 pounds? I can't lift that heavy, or anywhere near someone of my weight should be able to lift, but I also don't feel particularly fat so I don't think I'm overweight. Not sure why I weigh as much as I do.

Dude, you're 5'11". I am 5'9" and I weigh 184 right now. You put on some muscle since September which is denser (heavier) than fat.

Lol not sure I can say anything. I rely on a recumbent stationary bike for half (or more) of my cardio. My legs might be thrashing and on fire but my upper body is basically asleep.

Have you ever tried an Airdyne?

Dude, you're 5'11". I am 5'9" and I weigh 184 right now. You put on some muscle since September which is denser (heavier) than fat

Right, I think I've seen too many instances of someone my height weighing a lot less and lifting a lot more that I feel I shouldn't be be trying to gain weight at all right now but I think it's been working. They've probably been at it for a lot longer and have gone through bulking/cutting cycles.

BumRush

Right, I think I've seen too many instances of someone my height weighing a lot less and lifting a lot more that I feel I shouldn't be be trying to gain weight at all right now but I think it's been working. They've probably been at it for a lot longer and have gone through bulking/cutting cycles.

Exactly. You've made great progress...keep it up and don't worry about what the scale says.

Nope, don't have access to one :(

I feel like you'd fall in love HARD. I believe mine was $600? Save up if you can...it's the most intense cardio.

Any HIIT routines you recommend?

I would climb the Burj Khalifa and holler about how amazing Tabatas are if I could. They only take 4 minutes. Effectively it's 20 seconds of flat out sprint (I do it on the airdyne) 10 seconds of rest, repeat 8 times. They're intense but effective.

BumRush

These look awesome haha. Anyone know if the AD6 is worth the $500+?

I have it and it's definitely worth it. No joint pain whatsoever and effectively it's a full body workout. I usually hop on for 5 minutes before a workout to loosen everything up and then bang out a tabata or a steady state ride at the end. Better than anything else I have ever used.

Top Bottom