• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Memes you're getting tired of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astery

I got tired by "first" after a short while. It's completely pointless and doesn't contribute anything, yet some people keep trying to get "first".

Sp3eD said:
I hate the fighting game sayings ones. Calling people salty and eluding to chips or pringles for block damage is stupid.

Really just the salty one because it sounds so stupid.

Salty isn't a meme and it has nothing to do with fighting games.

And chip damage is an allusion to pringles? What?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Basileus777 said:
Salty isn't a meme and it has nothing to do with fighting games.

Half-right. It's not a meme, it's lingo, and it is very closely identified with fighting games.

And chip damage is an allusion to pringles? What?

Other way around. Pringles is an allusion to chip damage. Where's your curly mustache?

after that "Friday" song, i've come to detest all memes. not sure why, just kinda sick of the concept. i was pretty fascinated by them for a little while

I've never not been tired of a meme. When it first appears as a joke it could be funny but once a second person starts doing them I'm already tired of it. I still hate those rage face comics that people like to post.

Orayn

Trent Strong said:
Bread makes you fat?
No man, that's just Big Corn and Big Pharma trying keep you blind to the Paleo-Truth™.

I'm getting really tired of basically everything that's come out of Reddit in the last year and a half or so. They take stuff that might have carried a little comedic value, then consume and regurgitate it over and over again until it's just an endless sea of unfunny, played-out garbage.

Koodo

Banned
spindashing said:
tumblr_ll4965AhhB1qzdx5u.gif
296mdd0.jpg

VGChampion said:
I've never not been tired of a meme. When it first appears as a joke it could be funny but once a second person starts doing them I'm already tired of it. I still hate those rage face comics that people like to post.

those started out decent. now pretty much all of them at the main site generating them (reddit.com/r/fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu) are guys bitching about women

-Eddman-

I'm tired of the "_______ meme has been run into the ground" meme. It's just like those indie kids getting angry because their favorite band went mainstream. In my opinion, memes are meant to be overdone and in poor taste; it's part of the trolling itself.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My body is ready is the worst fucking one out of all of them. It makes the gaming side so painful to read sometimes. New information - My body is ready. Official thread - my body is ready. Anything - my body is ready. It's annoying.

"You are already dead" is another one that's been run down to the ground and overstayed its welcome.

Outside of those two, I've got no problems with the rest. It's just those two that infest every other thread.

-Eddman- said:
I'm tired of the "_______ meme has been run into the ground" meme. It's just like those indie kids getting angry because their favorite band went mainstream. In my opinion, memes are meant to be overdone and in poor taste; it's part of the trolling itself.
Well, hello there!

-Eddman- said:
It's just like those indie kids getting angry because their favorite band went mainstream.

and just like that stereotype, there's a legitimate reason in its roots-- something you enjoyed at first gets run into the ground. it's just a basic response to get sick of something through heavy repetition.

and there will always be the meta level you mentioned where watching people getting sick of repetition is fun in itself.

-Eddman-

Well, to contribute a little more with this thread, I don't like it when meme avatars stay for too long here in GAF. I remember people using th GTAIV walking animation for an eternity; the All my friends are dead dinosaur is in almost all avatars now.

ATF487

-Eddman- said:
Well, to contribute a little more with this thread, I don't like it when meme avatars stay for too long here in GAF. I remember people using th GTAIV walking animation for an eternity; the All my friends are dead dinosaur is in almost all avatars now.

Also the "D-Wade to random cities" avatar overstayed its welcome

I FUCKING HATE every top comment of every YouTube video being "X number of people __________" where X is the number of people who disliked it.

Also sunset pictures here on NeoGAF, most of the time they're not creative at all.

And like someone else mentioned the faces with captions pictures, even fucking Courage Wolf, are lame as shit.

Otherwise I like most memes :)

Sp3eD said:
I hate the fighting game sayings ones. Calling people salty and eluding to chips or pringles for block damage is stupid.

Really just the salty one because it sounds so stupid.

That one is just overused, from devastated to cussing to threatening, it's always "salty" as if other adjectives are impossible in tournament scenes.

Treefingers said:
I FUCKING HATE every top comment of every YouTube video being "X number of people __________" where X is the number of people who disliked it.

I came in here to post this.

I dunno if its a meme, but on anything older than music from the past 5 years, you will inevitably get someone saying something dumbtruck like "MUSIC NOT AS GOOD AS WAS BACK THEN I SO COOL."

Then again, I read every youtube comment as "I SO SMART! I SO SMART! I SO SMAAAAAAAAART!"

SatelliteOfLove said:
That one is just overused, from devastated to cussing to threatening, it's always "salty" as if other adjectives are impossible in tournament scenes.

the odd thing is, it's a pretty great word in every day conversation. Somewhat unique, not overused.

but yes, if anything, gamers know how to run something unique into the ground. Mildly intelligent humor in portal was like throwing one really tiny, bloody steak to a pack of lions who had been starved beforehand.

Orayn said:
No man, that's just Big Corn and Big Pharma trying keep you blind to the Paleo-Truth™.

I'm getting really tired of basically everything that's come out of Reddit in the last year and a half or so. They take stuff that might have carried a little comedic value, then consume and regurgitate it over and over again until it's just an endless sea of unfunny, played-out garbage.

Agreed. I haven't gone to Reddit for quite a while, it got pretty old.

Zomba13

I don't mind any really. The only ones I dislike are like, offensive variations of them. I don't find any particularly funny anymore though unless there is a new addition or spin, or the meme is used with some new content.
Like with the 'all my friends are dead' dino, it was hilarious at first, seeing all the variations and avatars and then it didn't get annoying, just not as funny because the funny wore off.

I don't mind it though but I don't laugh at the variations I've seen. I'd probably chuckle if I see new variations of it.

bengraven

I think of memes as a sort of meta in-joke. The kind of joke you can bring up with your friends 20 years later but no one else gets it.

Like in my social groups: "kara is a man" or "hotdog in the bun" or "the spagetti incident".

Only in this case, it's thousands who get the joke. Kind of brings us closer as a...well...

COMMUNITY

Trent Strong said:
Agreed. I haven't gone to Reddit for quite a while, it got pretty old.

yeah, it has a formula.

huge karma =
--shocking news title (preferably something negative about a conservative politician, reddit is liberal to a serious fault and makes me pretty sad for the left.)
--any portal reference
--My girlfriend knitted me a [insert nerd reference here, but preferably a portal reference]
--fake/photoshopped facebook conversation (these are the worst...like something an idiot family member would forward you)
--Catch-all: look at what's popular, create a dumb spin on it, post to imgur, submit to reddit

then the comments section is all puns.

and there's a general air of people thinking they're nerdy and smart on the site and that it's much different than digg and youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom