• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq: PC versions of Dark Souls, Red Faction: Guerrilla and more removing GFWL

Its fair to point out that Dark Souls online is pretty broken right now, hard to connect, tons of disconnections, most covenants dont work because of it and dont get me started with the PVP arena.

Im really hopeful that stripping GFWL will fix all those problems and make it more like the console versions.

It could completely change the game going forward, im very hyped.

As for all those great Capcom titles = :( So sad.

kick51

Banned
i love how namco pooped out Dark Souls and very slowly warmed up to the fact that people actually, really, truly like the game and actually, really, truly wanted a PC port. "Come hither Japanese dev, don't worry, we like your game, we'll even fix it for you, don't be afraid..."

The game has had obvious evergreen PC potential from the start to anyone with two eyes...they could've gone in pretty hard on the PC launch, but I suppose spending nothing on the project, then having it sell like hotcakes is nice too :p

RedSwirl

Thread title lists the only two I care about:

qwWUI.gif

im_dany

I better 100% my GFWL games before devs decide for me what DRM I have to use for a game I already spent my money on.

I already lost my save files for BioShock 2 and Batman AA because of them, I'm not going to update any GFWL game until I finish them.

S0N0S

This may actually revive the Dark Souls PC online community, that is, if Dark Souls 2 doesn't destroy it entirely. Currently, GFWL means no consequences for using Cheat Engine or really any exploits. And could revisiting Dark Souls and replacing GFWL wholesale with a new solution mean they might make DSfix redundant at some point?

Regardless, it's relieving to know FromSoft plans to use what they're learning and creating with the Dark Souls 2 PC version to rescue Dark Souls:ptD from the abyss.

I better 100% my GFWL games before devs decide for me what DRM I have to use for a game I already spent my money on.

I already lost my save files for BioShock 2 and Batman AA because of them, I'm not going to update any GFWL game until I finish them.

GFWL is dead in a few months. If they didn't do this you wouldn't even be able to play them at all, so I don't get why you're upset.

Piccoro

I have the vanilla Street Fighter IV on GFWL. What about that one?
And I'm curious to know what will happen to the Microsoft games like Flight and Tinker. Will they go to Steam, or have it's DRM completely removed?

The Cowboy

Dammit Capcom, if you can remove GFWL from SF4AE then you can remove it from SFvT.

And Viva Pinata - noooooo! /cries like a baby (I love this game).

im_dany

GFWL is dead in a few months. If they didn't do this you wouldn't even be able to play them at all, so I don't get why you're upset.

Why don't they just make something at the launch of the game asking if I want to use Steamworks (and its saves) or GFWL (and its saves)?

Toy Soldiers already has this.

epmode

Just in case you didn't know, it's absolutely possible to recover Arkham Asylum and Arkham City saves for use in the Steamworks versions. I did it.

I'm not sure if it's possible to do the same for Bioshock 2 but I wouldn't be surprised.

Why don't they just make something at the launch of the game asking if I want to use Steamworks (and its saves) or GFWL (and its saves)?

Toy Soldiers already has this.

When GFWL is shut down you won't be able to use it at all, so I don't know why they would bother to put the option in. It's a shame you're losing your saves I guess, but you will gain the ability to play games you purchased forever this way so I think it's a fair trade.

What about Gears of War 1? Is Epic responsible to bring it to Steam or whatever or MS?

90% sure that was outsourced to someone.

A quick google says People can fly did it actually.

Also apparently they got rebranded to Epic Games Poland last November? The hell?

Grief.exe

[PRAISING INTENSIFIES]

"Will strip GFWL. May replace with an existing service or develop its own.)"

yeah, that's right, nordic games is going to release a total beast-mode social gaming service, launching with red faction guerrilla. great plan guys. totally ignore the free and easy to implement game service used by 75 million gamers on an active basis. write your own. great move.

You can't even make this shit up with gaming companies sometimes.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I really hope MS does the right thing and removes it from Gears of War and Halo 2. Doubt they will but I can dream.

Mupod

dark souls is good news, but I'd really like it taken out of LP2, dead rising 2 off the record, bulletstorm and iron brigade specifically. I never double-dipped on the last one specifically because of GFWL.

bulletstorm was such a great game but I had to deal with some of the worst gfwl headaches in the midst of trying to actually play it.

Krakn3Dfx

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (Will update, but no set plans yet.)

Do.it.now.gif

Also, Capcom will be happy to (re)sell you the "Deluxe Steam Version" of their previously GFWL games, but it won't be possible to just flip a switch and remove it in current copies.

emag

I have the vanilla Street Fighter IV on GFWL. What about that one?

Dammit Capcom, if you can remove GFWL from SF4AE then you can remove it from SFvT.

I'd be surprised if Capcom actually switches SSF4AE 2012 away from GFWL, despite the Joystiq post. More likely it's just going to be Ultra Street Fighter IV (a paid update to SF4) that incorporates that change.

Happy to hear the Dark Souls news, but what about GTA 4, and what the hell is Capcom gonna do when %75 of their steam catalog uses it ?

Awwww yeeeeeah!!!!

Two of my favorite games of the generation are getting even better PC versions!

Not that I'm overly interested in playing Dark Souls online, but I was never actually able to ATTEMPT getting online because of GFWL. It would sign me in, it just wouldn't connect the game.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
the great thing about GFWL isn't beating the games, it's showing everyone online that GFWL is being removed from them.

Dark Souls without GFWL? Oh yes.

I do wish Capcom would patch Resident Evil 5 as well, though; I actually like that game, and may want to revisit it at some point in the future.

Grief.exe

i love how namco pooped out Dark Souls and very slowly warmed up to the fact that people actually, really, truly like the game and actually, really, truly wanted a PC port. "Come hither Japanese dev, don't worry, we like your game, we'll even fix it for you, don't be afraid..."

The game has had obvious evergreen PC potential from the start to anyone with two eyes...they could've gone in pretty hard on the PC launch, but I suppose spending nothing on the project, then having it sell like hotcakes is nice too :p

That mountain of sales certainly helped. 300,000 early last year, conservative estimate would place it at 500,000-600,000 sales now.

If they remove the DRM then sales will assuredly shoot up. Not only would it be available in more regions, but Gabe has said that games without DRM sell much better.

Every GFWL thread, the crazies come out.

"Achievements, Achievements, Achievements."
"I don't care the the service doesn't work for others, or doesnt activate in certain countries."
"I like having my Xboz friends on PC!!"
"Works fine for me!"™

I bet that shit breaks dsmfix again.
I also don't believe it until I see it.

Yes it, most likely, will.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Dirt 2 and Fuel are likely having GFWL removed as they've been in quite a few bundles semi-recently, even after being pulled from Steam, and each have a new app in the registry.

I know noone else really gives a shit but I hope Codemasters don't just patch out GFWL and ditch multiplayer in FUEL. The Free Ride mode in that is fun and still has a small hardcore base of players that play it.
It's sad to see so many no plans there, if that's their attitude though Steam should remove them from sale.

It does make me wonder, if MS were to come back and try something else in regards to PC games how many companies will tell them to fuck right off ? I especially can't see the ones having to remove GFWL being too keen on being involved with any MS online service again.

Still no news on what Rockstar intend to do about the GFWL infestation in GTA 4 and the DLC either. That is surprising coming from Rockstar............. Ha just kidding wouldn't surprise me if they don't do anything since they were stupid enough to go with GFWL in the first place.

Good article, glad Steven Wong decided to write this. More games have been addressed than I could have hoped for. Anything more at this point would just be a bonus.

It's a shame about Viva Pinata really. Pretty unique game.
Still no news on what Rockstar intend to do about the GFWL infestation in GTA 4 and the DLC either. That is surprising coming from Rockstar............. Ha just kidding wouldn't surprise me if they don't do anything since they were stupid enough to go with GFWL in the first place.
Rockstar stand to lose the most because GTA IV is one of the most played games on GFWL and it still sells reasonably well. I just think they take their messaging very seriously. They'll probably just drop the patch one day without any fanfare and move onto talking about their next big thing. Not to mention the good will they would lose by fucking over their dedicated audience.

TheUsual

Gold Member
If Dark Souls goes the steamworks route, I hope they add achievements in. Another reason to play it again!

CHC

If Dark Souls goes the steamworks route, I hope they add achievements in. Another reason to play it again!

This is sincerely what I'm hoping for, I really want to get them all just for kicks. I started but never finished due to the achievements on GFWL becoming totally meaningless soon.

Top Bottom