• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: WWII |OT|- Boots on the ground once more, ladies and gentlemen

MOTHERFUCKER.

I reached towards the end of nazi zombies, we had just activated "hand of god" and regrouped in that room. Steam shuts down for maintenence. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Kimawolf

MOTHERFUCKER.

I reached towards the end of nazi zombies, we had just activated "hand of god" and regrouped in that room. Steam shuts down for maintenence. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

AWWWW wow that's crazy. Sucks man/woman.

AWWWW wow that's crazy. Sucks man/woman.

What sucks even more is that i gained no levels and got nothing at all because it DC'ed. FFFFFFFFFFUCK.

Well this has totally turned me off the game for the moment atleast will probably not play for atleast some days. I am fucking pissed.

xRaizen

So there's no working matchmaking on PC or what?

All i have done in MP so far is dying since i am matched with people that are around... hmm 1000x my skill level so it's just Die Simulator 2017 for me.

My K/D is like 0.05.
There is no Skill Based Matchmaking, which is good honestly. SBMM killed Advanced Warfare once they turned that on.

If you play Ranked, when that launches, it will have SBMM though.

Nodnol

Really enjoying War. The fact that it has no effect on people’s KDR means it’s actually quite fun and intense at times.

Really enjoying War. The fact that it has no effect on people’s KDR means it’s actually quite fun and intense at times.

It has its own set of frustrations mainly camping/meat grinder objectives like the bridge and the beach landing but its the best thing the games mp has going for it. The standard mp is just bottom of the barrel trash, especially compared to competitors.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Am I the only one on Xbox One having the problem that the hit registration gets worse from everyday? I can shoot a whole mag in the face of an enemy whereas they can in the meantime turn around and two shot me, and when I’m looking at killcam I don’t fire any bullets.

I’m so close to crushing my controller playing this game it’s not even funny. I have no problem killing in tf2 bd1 or halo 5 I only have this problem in wwii, and I doubt my skills got hell lot of worse from release to now.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
It has its own set of frustrations mainly camping/meat grinder objectives like the bridge and the beach landing but its the best thing the games mp has going for it. The standard mp is just bottom of the barrel trash, especially compared to competitors.
This just isn't true at all.

Just finished final reich in zombie mode. Man the boss fight in the end is complete garbage! Touch the boss? You get oneshotted and you are supposed to stun and attach stuff to it. Not just damage it and kill it but some dumb nifty shit. Overall i like nazi zombies much more than the campaign in this. Its quite clever and so on apart from the last fight.

I suck too much ass to enjoy regular MP, have only tried War so far tho.

Matticers

There's never anyone in the headquarters for me. It's always me by myself which is just weird when it's supposed to be this big populated thing.

And every game I play lately is laggy is hell. Feels like I'm playing on a 56k connection. No other game is like this and even this game wasn't like this the first few days I played it. No clue what's going on here.

There's never anyone in the headquarters for me. It's always me by myself which is just weird when it's supposed to be this big populated thing.

And every game I play lately is laggy is hell. Feels like I'm playing on a 56k connection. No other game is like this and even this game wasn't like this the first few days I played it. No clue what's going on here.

Headquarters is empty because it was affecting the servers. So they disabled it. As you can see it fixed everything tremendously...

War was fun for like 2 hrs, until i grew tired of fuck of every cunt and their fucking grandma playing sniper elite. Fuck that noise.

MP just aint for me in this game or any game it seems so i dunno why i bought this game for some MP play, maybe i was hoping there was some sort of matchmaking so i can play against people who are also noobs?

VCALMLIKEABOMBV

Neo Member
I saw there was a patch available and I did the download without really knowing what it included. So, they release the patch notes. I see AR nerf, I was thinking are you F'ING kidding me. I had JUST used my preorder prestige token to unlock the BAR. LOL I got to use it for one game of TDM before the patch. It was glorious haha. So that was frustrating but the patch was needed. I know this. I never saw so many quick scopes in my life before this patch, and the BAR was a little OP.
Damnit I want my prestige token back. haha

MrBlonde

Finally try zombies, doing well get to round 15 and the fucking room closed and I got none of my xp!! Also happened on my last multi player match, there was no host migration

Matticers

I'm just about done with this game until they fix the connection problems. It's double xp and I'd like to play but I keep getting listen server errors after matches. And the best part about those disconnect errors at the end of the match means it looks like it's not saving the data from that match, so I'm losing XP and unlocks at the end of those matches. So I'm completely wasting my time by even playing it since I'm making progress at a much slower pace. The game is okay, it's not that bad when it works but the problem is that it's hardly working at all. When I am in a game, it lags 90% of the time. I'm talking 56K type lag where the game pretty much freezes or stutters with lag every few seconds. And, no, it is not my connection. Every other game works perfectly fine for me. I almost want to request a refund but I bought it digitally and I don't think they'll give it to me.

Just finished the campaign and while it was decent, it just didnt recreate the magic of world at war like id hoped. Something is just a little off, and way too many attempts to force stealth, thats not why i play COD.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Just finished the campaign and while it was decent, it just didnt recreate the magic of world at war like id hoped. Something is just a little off, and way too many attempts to force stealth, thats not why i play COD.

It was fun. It was all the exciting setups of previous Call of Duty campaigns with better graphics. We know what to expect from this series. I finished it bright and early this morning. I enjoyed it, but it felt like there were too many intermissions. I wanted to guess at which point each mission would end.

I think they could have spread the plot out more. It felt like it was giving everyone action without annoying us with petty details. That's what makes CoD so good. It wraps everything up.

Sometimes the invisible walls around levels were so noticeable. I kept saying to myself "well, I know I won't go any further than this one path, so let's go as fast as possible to get to the next objective".

I had fun, but I have my own issues with it. The plot got a little watered down at times. I did however have a lot of emotional feelings towards the end, which I can't explain. Maybe it's the inclusion of the whole "band of brothers" vibe.

The whole brotherhood aspect works when it wants to. It's impactful. I'd say WW2 has it, but it's cookie cutter moments. The moments when you're experiencing something emotional spring up out of nowhere or you aren't sure if it will lead anywhere. Some of the bigger moments in the campaign felt pointless because you're shooting through this museum or amusement ride of a war game. It's a fun ride. I just don't know what'll lead up to? Open world? Is COD too focused on scripted events to do anything else? Sledgehammer and whoever helped them work on this game did an awesome job with the sound and destruction.

YoodlePro

Just finished the campaign. It's alright, i enjoyed it. The visuals were insane.

But god damn.. that fighter pilot mission must be the worst fucking implementation of flight mechanics in a game I've ever seen. I was just shouting at the screen!

Who the hell thought that was a good way to control a fucking plane?

Just finished the campaign. It's alright, i enjoyed it. The visuals were insane.

But god damn.. that fighter pilot mission must be the worst fucking implementation of flight mechanics in a game I've ever seen. I was just shouting at the screen!

Who the hell thought that was a good way to control a fucking plane?

I guess you played it with KB&M? I had to do that part with a controller on PC since it was impossible to control the plane with keyboard and mouse.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I guess you played it with KB&M? I had to do that part with a controller on PC since it was impossible to control the plane with keyboard and mouse.

That was an absolute pain with a controller. It went by so fast and it was very frustrating trying to get a hand on things and then all of a sudden it asks you if you want to turn off the inverted controls. What I enjoyed were the air strikes from CoD MW.

What’s with the sniper rifles that can run around one shot killing everyone as if they’re automatic rifles? It’s as if aim bot is on from CS late 90s...

Ubername

Banned
What’s with the sniper rifles that can run around one shot killing everyone as if they’re automatic rifles? It’s as if aim bot is on from CS late 90s...

What dyou mean like auto rifles? Like rate of fire?

Cod always has the railgunner crowd of those who run around with snipers and steady aim getting headshots from the hip

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Am I wrong but are there only a handful of maps for Zombies? (2-3?) for some reason I thought there were more. I mean it's a lot of fun, but I sorta wish there was a way to unlock more maps. I always get this feeling like I'll somehow move from the basic streets to some dungeon locked away somewhere with these crazy looking zombies with metal spikes out of their heads. But I guess this is all we get.

I also find the menu for Zombies to be a bit rough around the edges. It feels like an odd way to scroll through a menu just to start a session/game.

AmyS

How does Call of Duty: WW2 look on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro?

Initial analysis from Digital Foundry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YswLmE5MxJk

To be clear though, this is just a first look at WW2, with an emphasis on the premium console platforms - PS4 Pro and Xbox One. And our focus is limited to the campaign, the area of Call of Duty titles where the linear nature of the experience typically allows the developers to carefully budget resources, pushing the sliders up as far as they can comfortably go. It's in this area of the game where COD typically delivers the most bang for your buck, but it's a world apart from the more freeform multiplayer.

Regardless, it's fascinating to see the aesthetic of the game and the core enhancements in technology reflect the series' aim to get back to a more realistic setting. The lighting in WW2 is a massive revamp from what we've seen from the series before, the COD engine (or at least Sledgehammer Games' fork of it) offering up a beautiful, full HDR presentation for the first time. The realism extends to materials too, which fit seamlessly into the scene in all areas. There's also a renewed emphasis on character rendering: WW2 features beautifully realised characters, with remarkably well-realised skin shaders and excellent animation.

There's the sense that Sledgehammer may have pulled back slightly from the super-dense post-process approach seen in Infinite Warfare - film grain is pared back a touch, for starters - but there's still the feeling that the developer is aiming for a cinematic look to the title. Similar to many titles we've seen recently, the game employs a heavy temporal component in its anti-aliasing, meaning that the traditional super-rich detail level associated with native rendering in video games is absent. You can call the presentation soft, but by that chalk, the same can be said for any movie or TV show. Like it or not, techniques such as these represent the future of the video game aesthetic.

And by extension, that makes pixel-counting - which relies heavily on flat geometric edges - very difficult to deploy on this title. Similar to other games that rely heavily on temporal anti-aliasing, the difference between Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro primarily comes down to clarity. The Microsoft platform does render more pixels more of the time, and this primarily manifests by presenting additional detail in the image. It's no game-changer though - things just look a little clearer for most of the time.

It's early days here, but our impression is that WW2 employs dynamic resolution scaling on both systems, with the lower bounds set at 1920x2160, rising to a full-fat 3840x2160. Perhaps not surprisingly, it's Xbox One X that gets closer to the higher-end of the scale, and the artefacts present in the horizontal upscale (apparent on both systems) are more obviously observed on the Pro presentation. Whether it's a checkerboard-style side effect or a product of temporal upscaling remains to be seen, but we feel there's more work to be done here in how WW2 makes the final resolve pass for 2160p output.

The comparison shots below offer up a fairly good indication of how this game presents overall - you won't be getting a super-clean look on either game, and to be fair, that was never Sledgehammer's intent - but Xbox One X offers up more detail overall, and fewer upscaling issues. There are also some bonus extras on top too. Shadow detail is heavily filtered on both systems, but there's clearly more definition on Xbox One X. More subtle still is ambient occlusion - shading in the nooks and crannies, effectively - which again, seems to have been pushed up a notch on the Microsoft system.

All told, the new Call of Duty looks great on a 4K display, with the visual pay-off improved on Xbox One X, but not exactly to a dramatic extent. And in terms of the most important metric of all - performance - both Sony and Microsoft platforms deliver an almost entirely identical turn-out. Call of Duty's signature 60fps gameplay is almost entirely locked on every clip we tested. The upscaling strategy pays off handsomely, and there's no evidence of any frame-rate drops on either system caused by an over-taxed GPU. WW2 rolls out its most intensive set-pieces and cutscenes with no impact at all on the slick 60fps refresh.

But as smooth and as slick as the majority of the action is, it's not a completely clean bill of health, and the experience is compromised a touch by some occasional, very noticeable stutter. This doesn't seem to be caused by graphics at all (the dynamic scaler doesn't shift during these episodes) and where it happens suggests that the background streaming systems may be having some issues.

Full article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...uty-world-war-2-ps4-pro-xbox-one-x-first-look

MrBlonde

Am I the only one on Xbox One having the problem that the hit registration gets worse from everyday? I can shoot a whole mag in the face of an enemy whereas they can in the meantime turn around and two shot me, and when I’m looking at killcam I don’t fire any bullets.

I’m so close to crushing my controller playing this game it’s not even funny. I have no problem killing in tf2 bd1 or halo 5 I only have this problem in wwii, and I doubt my skills got hell lot of worse from release to now.
Agree 100%, hit detection and lag gets worse by the day, this needs to be fixed... getting disconnects too, got one in zombies at level 15 and didn’t get any XP, it was my first zombies match so back to rank 1, complete bullshit

BHR-3

just finished the campaign aswell on veteran

not even close to the difficulty of last gens COD

been playing COD yearly since MW3 came out causally i like the short action packed campaigns and the MP can be addicting at times

my favorite CODs are Black ops1 MW2 and MW3 i thought all 3 black ops and MW3 had the best MP and those are the ones i have the most time with MP wise all others i just played to get the trophies for

the campaign here was i guess meh from me great visuals at times playing on pro its good to see a more realistic setting for a change instead of the futuristic stuff i also really liked the lean and peak aswell as dive to prone

rating wise i hold black ops1 mw1 mw2 up high as far as campaigns go with the worst being toss up between black ops3 and ghosts although blops3 had the most beefy one

if blops1 mw1 mw2 are 9s campaign wise from me then this would be a 6-7 there just wasnt anything that stood out as being memorable story or gameplay wise thought advance and even Infinite stood out more, really waiting to get a modern COD this gen though i think its time to go back

i also think that to this day content wise MW3 owns all wheres spec ops and survival modes?

once im done trophy hunting with this i'll will give wolfenstein a try havent played neither of them and just learn that they also have the contextual lean

Grinchy

Banned
Am I the only one on Xbox One having the problem that the hit registration gets worse from everyday? I can shoot a whole mag in the face of an enemy whereas they can in the meantime turn around and two shot me, and when I'm looking at killcam I don't fire any bullets.

I'm so close to crushing my controller playing this game it's not even funny. I have no problem killing in tf2 bd1 or halo 5 I only have this problem in wwii, and I doubt my skills got hell lot of worse from release to now.

It was unplayable for me earlier, so I gave up. Gonna play other games in the meantime.

I don't honestly think it'll ever get fixed just due to the nature of how they do their netcode and the fact that this has been a huge problem in every COD game I've played for the past decade.

The progression system, the look of the game, the feel of the shooting, ect are all really nice. It just sucks that the netcode is so horrific.

xRaizen

The XP reduction has made me drop the game. Getting 5-6k XP for a game of Kill Confirmed going 30-12 with 25+ confirms is ridiculous.

If SHG doesn’t fix this then I just won’t play the game at all.

I have played some more of War and have learned to appriciate it even more, i even manage to end up in the top rankings in the end of matches. I sometimes get pretty salty though if my team is shit and i end up against godlike players. This game really need some sort of matchmaking. It's not that fun to play against mostly prestige 40-50 players...

Also not good enough to carry a bad team because i am not good enough to get many kills, i mainly focus on defending or pushing objectives like planting bombs or such.

Have tried some other modes but getting like 0.2 - 0.3 K/D rating aint that fun, it plain sucks and i have never even been able to use any score streaks. So yeah.

Am level 45 (captain) so far and prestige 2 infantry and got a prestige 1 STG 44.

Snipers can go to fucking hell though, man how they have ruined FPS games since like 1885. Quickscopers, campers on the beaches and so on, go to fucking hell with all y'all.

Thinking of maybe even getting season pass if the new maps for War and Zombie mode are good stuff. I like zombie too but Last Reich aint thaat fun to spam when you have finished of Panzermörder. I know that there is some hardcore run you can do, but then you probably need some premade group with voice chat.

Enjoying the game so far, graphics in single player were really good, some of the achievements are really tough for the specific missions. MP is good, coming back to a COD after a few years break is quite refreshing, I must say.

As was discussed before, CODs strength is the set pieces in the campaign, which try to keep things fresh (think the tank and plane pieces) and the easy to jump in fast paced multiplayer. They won't change any of it as they're the reason the series is so popular.

gioGAF

Lol at this "double xp was accidentally on" bullshit. Now that I have played the game, I can clearly see that it was no accident.

Activision purposely enable "double xp" on launch so that all the streamers promoting their game (you know, those guys doing "the race") would not complain about the slow ass progression the game has avoiding the bad PR (EA should probably take note on how to properly bend customers over).

The whole thing was clearly done on purpose for, you guessed it, railroading you into their microtransaction economy. Oddly enough it will be enabled on 11/21. A week after they "caught" the accident, just a bit after all of the "race" streams are over and all the relevant reviews are out, smh.

Screw you Activision!

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Lol at this "double xp was accidentally on" bullshit. Now that I have played the game, I can clearly see that it was no accident.

Activision purposely enable "double xp" on launch so that all the streamers promoting their game (you know, those guys doing "the race") would not complain about the slow ass progression the game has avoiding the bad PR (EA should probably take note on how to properly bend customers over).

The whole thing was clearly done on purpose for, you guessed it, railroading you into their microtransaction economy. Oddly enough it will be enabled on 11/21. A week after they "caught" the accident, just a bit after all of the "race" streams are over and all the relevant reviews are out, smh.

Screw you Activision!

The thing is, after you get used to it and the slow xp kicks in and you have been playing since day One it really kills the urge to play.

Top Bottom