• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Croc

Banned
This guide is pretty decent at explaining general concepts, but is unfortunately sort of shallow where Noct is concerned.

Diurnal is probably easier to get a feel for healing with, but Noct is kind of overpowered right now for raid stuff.

If you're Diurnal, you can cast Aspected Benefic on him he gets healed for 200 potency now, and then over the next 18 seconds gets another 840 potency healed via the regen effect. This means one single cast gets you 1040 potency of healing, but it takes some time to see the full impact. It will get his health up in times of constant, low damage. If your Aspected Benefic heals for 2,000 HP, then every three seconds another 1,400 HP will get restored to the tank for the next 18 seconds.

If you're Noct, you cast Aspected Benefic and he gets healed for 200 potency now, and gets a shield worth two and a half times the heal. So 200 potency healed to his HP, and then 500 potency in a shield. That means if your Aspected Benefic heals him for 2,000 HP, he's also going to get a shield that lasts 30 seconds that will absorb the next 5,000 damage he takes without touching HP at all.

The Noct shield is lower potency, but it's available immediately. If the tank is taking heavy damage, this can be a big difference since you can keep putting shields on him back-to-back and getting full value out of the cast without needing 18 seconds to pass in between (usually you'd want to do the healing heavy lifting with other spells, but since Aspected Benefic is instant-cast it's nice to be able to toss out while moving or whatever.) It also lasts 30 seconds, so if he takes no damage for the first 15 seconds and then a bunch of damage in the last 15, you're still getting full value out of the shield. Vs a regen where if he takes no damage for the first 9 seconds, half the regen ends up being wasted. This also means you can drop a Noct shield on a tank before he starts the pull, and it'll eat a bunch of the damage during the pull while not generating any threat, which can be nice.

Either works for dungeon content, and either works for raid content but you usually will in 8-man content pick your sect based on the other healer. If you get paired with a WHM, pick Noct so you can put up shields before heavy-hitting attacks while the WHM uses their regens to gradually bring party health back up. If you get paired with a SCH, go Diurnal so you can put down regens while the SCH is proactively shielding. If you get paired with another AST... just kind of see if you both have a preference.

Okay, that makes sense to me. So I think my only other question about Noct which I think I know the answer to but I'll ask anyways; does that 2.5x shield count for the number that the heal is for and not how much it actually heals on the target? For example like healing someone at full health will still give them a shield, right?

Village

I haven't even bothered with the glamour game this patch. Everything looks like hot fucking garbage.
All my gear is base color, no glamour.

Literally giving up life.

I wouldn't say everything is garbage I but yeah ... a lot of the armor in storm blood are not great

There are some reall amazing winners, just a lot of its ... yeah

Like some of the class gear too, like i'm upset with the super traditional samurai hing they decided to go with. Like I couldn't be like a cool samurai like mitsurugi with like half my shirt off just on some samurai jack shit like that's what I wanna look like in this type of game? So dissapointing.

DRK gear is the best shit ever tho

Okay, that makes sense to me. So I think my only other question about Noct which I think I know the answer to but I'll ask anyways; does that 2.5x shield count for the number that the heal is for and not how much it actually heals on the target? For example like healing someone at full health will still give them a shield, right?
Yes. You get the shield based on the number that pops up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Oh right, Moonfaire has a lot of other gear but just different colors or something, from what I've heard.

There are some slight variations on the gear when you get it from dungeons, but not dyeable. Also, there are arm and head pieces.

The event gear is dyable though.

I picked this up over my summer break at the insistence of my brother who decided to jump back in.
I am still working my way through the post Dragonsong MSQs.

I stopped playing Heavensward around the first post-launch patch so I have a ton of stuff to catch up on.

Atolm

Killed O4S tonight and got the AST weapon. Pretty intense fight, took us 5 days of practice, but in the end it's a fight that only has one real mechanic, GC Omega. Everything else is easier than most previous raids.

B.K.

It took close to a hour, but the group I was in finally beat V2S. I think I did pretty good in it. The last run, I forgot I was main tanking on the second tank/healer drop and went to the wrong spot, but no one died and the other tank went the right way. I also got one shotted once to Evilsphere. Not sure what happened there. My DPS was 2060 as PLD. How bad is that? The other tank had 2300.

Also, should I still be melding Direct Hit to left side gear? Someone in the FC was saying a few days ago to someone that asked about DRK melds that they should meld Determination or Tenacity.

Astral

I really don't like tanks that sprint through the entire dungeon. Is that like the best strategy? I don't like it. A tank died because I couldn't keep up and he was counting on my Benediction that still wasn't ready yet.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
People have a finite amount of time to play
Want to fit as much progression into that time as possible
Go through dungeons fast in order to maximize exp/minute
Die because they didn't account for the healer

I like to speed run as much as the next tank but I always check with the healer first.

iammeiam

I really don't like tanks that sprint through the entire dungeon. Is that like the best strategy? I don't like it. A tank died because I couldn't keep up and he was counting on my Benediction that still wasn't ready yet.

So the speed run thing in general will probably get a lot of responses but basically: Yes, it's default because it's the fastest way to finish the game chores. If you're not comfortable, give the tank a heads up. Good tanks will understand and slow down. If a tank starts with a small pull and then starts mass pulling, it's sort of a backdoor compliment because the small first pull is to see if you can handle it, and the larger followup pull is because they think you can. But just a heads up that you're not comfortable with big pulls should be fine.

But about sprinting specifically: It's a good thing. Sprinting speeds up the time between starting the pull and planting to kill stuff. Less time running around picking up mobs means less damage taken by the tank before the pull really starts. For bigger pulls, it's actually a noticeable difference sometimes.

Astral

I guess I just got used to tanks starting the sprint as we were approaching enemies. This tank started sprinting from the moment the Duty started and never stopped. It caught me off guard.

Erekiddo

I haven't played since the launch of Heavensword but resubbed today with the newest expansion.

I'm curious... is DX11 still temperamental?

I'm running on a 1080FTW, maximum quality settings at 2560x1440 (165Hz). I was on Full Screen when during the final battle of a duty, my fans spun up to max speed and I got a black screen. I could still hear audio though.

I switched to Borderless Windowed and am curious if I should set back to DX9.

I should also mention I have two monitors and Windows 10.

El-Suave

Question from a new player:
I just finished the main story of Realm Reborn and now I think I need to do some of the original end game stuff before I can move to Heavensward. However with reaching level 50 the game has opened up considerably and I can do a lot of new activities like melding materia etc. that I couldn't do before. I've been pretty much rushing through the main quest so far to catch up with Stormblood so I've only played one job (archer/bard) and I've only started the crafting classes. What do I need to do to get the best experience while still moving forward quickly? For example there is the quest to get the Arthemis bow for my archer now. Do I need that or is it a waste of time? My item level is currently one point below the requirement for the Ifrit hard battle which I need to do. What is the best way for me to proceed now?

Ken

Question from a new player:
I just finished the main story of Realm Reborn and now I think I need to do some of the original end game stuff before I can move to Heavensward. However with reaching level 50 the game has opened up considerably and I can do a lot of new activities like melding materia etc. that I couldn't do before. I've been pretty much rushing through the main quest so far to catch up with Stormblood so I've only played one job (archer/bard) and I've only started the crafting classes. What do I need to do to get the best experience while still moving forward quickly? For example there is the quest to get the Arthemis bow for my archer now. Do I need that or is it a waste of time? My item level is currently one point below the requirement for the Ifrit hard battle which I need to do. What is the best way for me to proceed now?

just continue the main story quest to 70. crafting is a side thing and the artemis bow is super outdated and a waste of time outside of glamour

yaffi

I really don't like tanks that sprint through the entire dungeon. Is that like the best strategy? [...]

If the healer (the group dps) can keep up with it, yes. But doing it despite seeing the group not being able to keep up, is equal to spending even more time in the dungeon.

Shandy

My item level is currently one point below the requirement for the Ifrit hard battle which I need to do. What is the best way for me to proceed now?

Do your level 50 job quest. You'll receive a Bard's Attire Coffer. Use it in a city to get a set of i90 left side pieces. That should get you through your first three trials. While you're doing this, the story quests will offer accessories as rewards. Take the Aiming accessories. Those will bump you up to the point where you can do everything the game requires to reach Heavensward.

Weapons are a bit more annoying (I think the highest the story gives you is i70), but if you feel like going overkill, you an buy an i120 weapon for 500 Allagan Tomestones of Poetics. I won't say you have to, but since the story is a bit stingy with it, it's definitely helpful. And that weapon will last you into HW for quite a while.

Robin64

You can also just have a pal pick you up a 115 vendor weapon from Ishgard. Despite being a normal quality white item, the stats vastly outdo anything you would've gotten in ARR's normal content.

IvorB

Funny thing is it's actually super easy if you've fought a bunch of these monsters during the 2.0 era like for the relic quest, it's basically the same attacks. But yeah last time I fought it there were tons of people dying everywhere too.

This is why I play ranged when there's a whole lot of nasty sh*t happening down there that's killing everyone and I'm safe at max range. Looked to me like that creature from Void Ark though...

It's finally done
67joSWO.png
Em55xis.png

I was planning on not doing MCH until another leveling potion was available but ended up messing around soloing potd with it and gaining a bunch of levels so I just leveled it in the end.

This took quite a while since for the combat classes I didn't play HW much, so most of them were still 50(most of the ARR classes) or lower(DRK was 38, MCH was 31, I only played AST during HW so that one was 60).

Apeboy

I'm considering picking getting this on ps4 but reading through the thread I get the feeling high level content is solely the domain of the min/max crowd.

Is there enough population to allow players that might not know the min/max rotation for a particular class or play a class that might not fit the meta to get into high level parties?

iammeiam

I'm considering picking getting this on ps4 but reading through the thread I get the feeling high level content is solely the domain of the min/max crowd.

Is there enough population to allow players that might not know the min/max rotation for a particular class or play a class that might not fit the meta to get into high level parties?

Minmax in the game is a tiny minority of the player base and only really relevant for an extremely small section of the population (and even then only for a limited time.) Outside of, like, 3-5 fights in the entire game at any given time, things are balanced around the assumption of fairly casual players who may or may not understand the basics of their rotation.

Most of the discussion about dungeon running at endgame sounds a lot more technical than it really is, and really just boils down to 'everyone is going to pull everything and you just AOE it down.' As long as you hit your buttons in an order that at least resembles sensible, and don't stand in AOEs, you'll be fine.

LaneDS

It's finally done
67joSWO.png
Em55xis.png

I was planning on not doing MCH until another leveling potion was available but ended up messing around soloing potd with it and gaining a bunch of levels so I just leveled it in the end.

This took quite a while since for the combat classes I didn't play HW much, so most of them were still 50(most of the ARR classes) or lower(DRK was 38, MCH was 31, I only played AST during HW so that one was 60).

Damn, nice. What'd you do for 60-70 on the later combat classes?

Squishy3

Not him, but It's like 3-4 dungeon runs for the level the leveling dungeons start at, and then 4-6 for the even levels. Stormblood leveling dungeons give a lot of EXP even without the rested bonus. You can then also typically throw in the daily clan hunts ( (these are OP, each mark you complete is basically equivalent to one sidequest and the exp they give scales up as you level)
) plus leveling roulette, and it doesn't take that long and isn't really mind-numbing unless you really grind it out.

Even as a DPS queue times are pretty much normalized thanks to the Cracked Clusters, average wait time is back to like 15-20 minutes.

Apeboy

Minmax in the game is a tiny minority of the player base and only really relevant for an extremely small section of the population (and even then only for a limited time.) Outside of, like, 3-5 fights in the entire game at any given time, things are balanced around the assumption of fairly casual players who may or may not understand the basics of their rotation.

Most of the discussion about dungeon running at endgame sounds a lot more technical than it really is, and really just boils down to 'everyone is going to pull everything and you just AOE it down.' As long as you hit your buttons in an order that at least resembles sensible, and don't stand in AOEs, you'll be fine.

Thanks. Looks like I'll be jumping in soon.

I generally followed the same daily rotation, on odd levels run the SB dungeons 3times(with chain xp bonus from being the same lvl as the monsters, this gives you a bit less than a level or so), on even levels, leveling roulette+trial roulette+frontline roulette(don't have to do that but I farmed the Garo event stuff too) with HW beastmen+hunt marks and SB hunt marks. I leveled a bunch of chars together so sometimes I'd focus the SB hunts on the higher level and the HW stuff on the lower ones(especially pre 60). I also did a bunch of HW dungeons on my pre 60 chars cause I couldn't just spam potd, but potd is obviously faster/more efficient. Doing this rotation would generally get me 2 levels a day, but some days I played more and stuff so I sometimes got more.

Other than that, FATEs here and there, pretty much exclusively double xp FATEs when I was doing SB hunt marks in the zone and saw them, weekly challenge log for FATEs+commendation+dungeons and for the pre 60 char I also did 5 leves things because I was done with leves for crafting anyway so figured why not.

This isn't really the most efficient, but the variety of activities made it less boring. Also I needed to catch up on HW beastmen reputation since I hadn't bothered catching up at the end of HW after taking a break soon after HW release, so that was 2birds with one stone kind of thing. Moogle one was just pure loss though since all my crafters were 60+.

Mostly it's just a matter of playing enough and spending most of my time leveling. I didn't do primals until several weeks after I hit 70 on my first char, iirc it was like 2weeks after Omega normal was released for Susano and like 2weeks later for Lakshmi. I have no interest in Savage so I didn't need to spend much time doing endgame activities. Near the end though I farmed a bunch of primals, also caught up with the EX primals from HW and stuff like that.

Village

They're kind of shit, but I guess they're necessary since your character is such a mute dummy. Alph is basically the main character of the game.

I wouldn't say he is, considering there are long stretches of time where you are actively progressing the plot when he's not around. Heck I would argue the NPC main character of ARR is Jeff Bridges Cid, and in Havensward Aymeric and in Stormblood is Lyse, while the twins are around they never seem like they are the ones pushing the plot forward like other characters are. They are usually exposition dumps. I guess you could say alisae is the main character of coils?

Though Can I ask, what would you rather be done than the twins?

Erekiddo

I haven't played since the launch of Heavensword but resubbed today with the newest expansion.

I'm curious... is DX11 still temperamental?

I'm running on a 1080FTW, maximum quality settings at 2560x1440 (165Hz). I was on Full Screen when during the final battle of a duty, my fans spun up to max speed and I got a black screen. I could still hear audio though.

I switched to Borderless Windowed and am curious if I should set back to DX9.

I should also mention I have two monitors and Windows 10.

RMA'd the card. This issue seems to be common with my card.

Grats! I have DRG, NIN, BRD, and MCH left to finish off all 70s. I am not looking forward to any of the dex jobs at all.

I liked NIN and BRD a lot, DRG was ok-ish, MCH was mostly meh, really don't like the whole "zzz press buttans every 2.5secs ResidentSlee... OMG WILDFIRE IS UP PRESS ALL THE THINGS QUICK". It's just annoying how everything rotates around the 1min cooldowns and how you have to dump everything all at once super fast because of the Rapid Fire thing or whatever's it's named. It seems even worse at 70 since you have to Overheat too.

Astral

I liked NIN and BRD a lot, DRG was ok-ish, MCH was mostly meh, really don't like the whole "zzz press buttans every 2.5secs ResidentSlee... OMG WILDFIRE IS UP PRESS ALL THE THINGS QUICK". It's just annoying how everything rotates around the 1min cooldowns and how you have to dump everything all at once super fast because of the Rapid Fire thing or whatever's it's named. It seems even worse at 70 since you have to Overheat too.

BRD is gonna be my first alt class. How's SAM? I'm considering leveling that after BRD.

Wagram

Yes, i'll travel half way around the world to learn how to master a sushi recipe so you can impress your fiancees father.

This is some FFXV trash tier writing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes, i'll travel half way around the world to learn how to master a sushi recipe so you can impress your fiancees father.

This is some FFXV trash tier writing.

Best writing you mean.

dramatis

I don't place that much weight on the writing of the class/job quests, but I don't find that instance particularly 'trash'.

Because here is a guy who quit his original adventuring to help refugees after he fell in love with one of them, that's probably more sympathetic than 90% of the character stories in FF15, so what is so trash about that?

Top Bottom