• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One UI vid w/Snap

Probably an old build too. Was this taken at one of those tour locations?

Well at a minimum it was clearly a dev kit from the Welcome screen.

Not sure that was the greatest demo for practical application of snap, but the speed and smoothness was pretty impressive.

I just don't see a reason to look up movie tickets or google while in-game. There's usually a tablet or phone or laptop around these days anyways, which I'd much rather use.

Dont deflect, bro. Its cool for a game console.

But yea, go use ur tablet.

Damaniel

Banned
looks smooth, not sure what the problems could have been

There may be issues with frequency of snapping (as an example, maybe the snapped app or even the game crashes one out of every 5 times you snap, or something along those lines). There may be issues with Live and how it behaves when apps are snapped and unsnapped. Unfortunately, we won't know until launch (or until we hear some more from CBOAT and friends).

However, this doesn't look too bad, at least in this video. It's pretty slick and functional, and while I probably wouldn't use it extensively with IE, it could find use with other apps.

KillGore

Smooth though browsing looks like it's going to be a pain, like it has always been on consoles. Still cool.

EDIT: LOL @ those comments. What the hell?

Jeels

Web browser probably isn't the best example. It's really confusing when you have a fighting game side by side with an app that requires scrolling...

If they can get it all to work, Sony is going to need to step up their game. If the PS4 can do Vita levels of speed/multitasking though, I am happy. (Vita is super fast and snappy, nearly as fast as my $600 phone, although Vita browser kind of sucks).

Dranakin

I would say why someone would use a web browser with that little real estate is confusing.

7820584493861350.JPG

says you!

Milennia

I don't really like the web browsing whilst snapping, i really like the apps designed with snap in mind, like that machinima app they showed off.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
A left part and a right part, really confusing.
?

Yes, and when he goes to the dashboard, sometimes the big box is Killer Instinct, sometimes it's IE, there's a little button on the right that seems to do something but it's not clear what it is, navigating around full-sized webpages when you can only see a thin sliver of them looks grim, to put it lightly. I think there's a lot to be confused by.

Part of me wishes they'd keep the aspect ratio the same. Sure it's less screen space, but man it doesn't look so hot when the game is squished...

Bing looked awkward on that side screen. You'd think that they'd have a nicer layout for their own sites when snapped.

Looks functional though!

DrZeus

Looks like it will be fun to mess around with. The more unique features these consoles have the better. More reason to get them all.

MarkusRJR

Seems like a useless feature. I use it on my Surface and it makes sense there due to the touch interlace. It doesn't make sense on the Xbox One.

Also, that squished aspect ratio is really gross.

Barzul

This honestly goes against I expected given the comments by famousmortimer. I expected the game would be freezing up or snap wouldn't even work. If it handles this good even before the Day One patch. People getting the Xbox One at launch have nothing to worry about.

Ebomb

Banned
Plan to use this feature more when watching TV and sports. Also can see having a walkthrough snapped to the side for achievement hunting. Also, having my twitter feed snapped in will be nice at times.

UNCMark

Banned
I can't believe how many times it crashed the game while he was using snap. Unbelievable! Fix your shit, MS...wait what happened?

This honestly goes against I expected given the comments by famousmortimer. I expected the game would be freezing up or snap wouldn't even work. If it handles this good even before the Day One patch. People getting the Xbox One at launch have nothing to worry about.

Snap feature still works on games which take the 10 percent of OS power ? If it doesnt then it is kind of broken

EvB

That's pretty cool, people are going to be able to build there own little websites ir web apps to support particular games.

Warrior phrasing aside, the rumors were pretty apocalyptic. What happened? Serious question. Would be interesting to hear from the insiders.

Wheres cboat at?

Live connections were 'apocalyptic'. Snap kept crashing during some game demos. I'd wager that Microsoft may have employed these people known as 'decent programmers' to try to fix the problems. This video could be the first piece of evidence of their efforts.

It is missing all the transition animations from the promo though. Looks jarring and the game disappears into a black square for a second.

Internet Explorer, Bing, and what looks like a modified version of Windows 8 metro UI. I need a third hand so I can facepalm again.

I honestly can't think of a use for this, that a phone or tablet next to you(which I normally have anyways) couldn't do. Skype? On the tablet. IE? On my phone with at least a software keyboard too. Netflix? On my tablet.
What app would you open alongside a game?

I do multitask a lot when I'm playing but I use my phone.....I don't think that'll change even with this feature present. However I do see the usefulness in snapping TV.

LCfiner

It seems like a snapped browser window is only gonna be useful for something like a chat stream or basic single column text - or maybe a mobile formatted site. trying to navigate or read anything from a wider webpage in that narrow column is terrible.

If this is how Snap works in a old build of the Xbox One, I'm not worried at ALL about Snap being broken at launch. Or The OS being broken.

Looks like another insider tip was wrong. Not that I'm complaining, it's good that it was wrong this time! :p

Top Bottom