• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nu-metal that didn't suck?

Doc_Drop

Nothing like a music genre debate to get people riled up. Nu metal is a pretty poor descriptor for a lot of these bands but it's the label attached to them by most so arguing the ins and outs ultimately leads nowhere

MOMighty

Neo Member
I haven't heard of many people who don't consider Tool a pioneer in the alternative metal genre (which I tend to put in with nu metal). That's why I specifically say that the label of nu metal is poor. It's probably why many don't consider chevelle, red or 10 Years nu metal even though you still have the heavy down tuned guitars, cracky snare, and aggressive lyrics.

BadAss2961

I would classify 'nu-metal' to be a mix of the following:

- simple pop songstructures
- often a catchy chorus
- (relatively) simple staccato guitar riffs, a lot of down tuned guitars
- mix of angry & clean vocals

with some added:
- electronics (dj, soundscapes, samples, or keys)
- rap/hiphop influenced vocals
- #angst and #edge
- optional: a 'gimmick'.

Ill Nino would be a good example of the above. Or one of my personal favorites; One Minute Silence.
I can agree with this. Nu-Metal is all about the rap influence and angst to me.

Lot of the bands being mentioned aren't really Nu-Metal, but were just of that era.

Neith

Banned
Sepultura were getting pretty nu metalish by the time they made Roots, which was still a really good album.

KrisB

I didn't put to much thought into what category. Digimortal fell into. To me it was another Fear Factory album. I remember listening to it a lot.

Obsolete is my favorite. Even the packaging was awesome.
My man. Such a good album.

Also recommend Fear Factory and Deftones despite them not being nu metal but are both great for dipping your toes into the metal world.

jmdajr

Nothing like a music genre debate to get people riled up. Nu metal is a pretty poor descriptor for a lot of these bands but it's the label attached to them by most so arguing the ins and outs ultimately leads nowhere

I think no band likes to be labeled.

Del Leppard and the like don't like to be called Glam Rock.
Korn doesn't like to be called Nu Metal.
Nirvana didn't like to be called grunge.

Even fucking Hammerfall is like...Power Metal? "That's fine..but we prefer simply to be called Heavy Metal. That's what we play."

Zukkoyaki

Would probably have to go on an album-by-album basis here. I'd say Mushroomhead's Superbuick is a legit great album and I'm a huge fan of late 90s KoRn (Issues for life!).

ElfArmy177

The Linkin Park guy passing away recently led me down a path of revisiting that shitty genre my friends and I were all into in high school. Turns out the internet is right and almost everything I've relistened to is garbage with the exception of Slipknot's first 2 albums (haven't listened past there). Yeah the lyrics are awful but at least its fun to listen to and amps me up - (sic) was a surprise in how much I enjoyed it.

Can you guys make a case for any other nu-metal bands still worth listening to?

Aside from Slipknot I've tried the following who were on varying degrees of bad:
Linkin Park
Limp Bizkit
Mudvayne

Linkin Park was shit?

jmdajr

Linkin Park was shit?

Linkin Park wasn't heavy enough for the hard rockers, and probably too bombastic for "normal people."

But hey, 10 millions albums sold so they connected with a shit ton of people. To me it's no different to how 80s rock bands connected with me. And they had the exact same issue as Linkin did.

Doc_Drop

Even fucking Hammerfall is like...Power Metal? "That's fine..but we prefer simply to be called Heavy Metal. That's what we play."
I think metal specifically struggles with micro labelling as a lot can seem insulting when really it's just to help people recommend and talk to each other about the bands they like. Though there is definitely a hierarchy and attempts at proving themselves legit whilst denouncing others. Happens with punk all the time

Fhtagn

I am old enough to have hated Nu-Metal when it showed up because it was clearly inferior to Death Metal, so I have grumpy old man opinions here.

but that said...

From my perspective, Sepultura - Chaos A.D. is definitively the first Nu-Metal record. It inspired Korn, who in turn inspired Sepultura's next album, Roots.

Chaos A.D. is also a rare example of "what would Nu-Metal sound like if Nu-Metal didn't suck?"

I can also deal with System of a Down, and I never intentionally listened to Linkin Park but they were the least bad of that batch of bands.

I didn't put to much thought into what category. Digimortal fell into. To me it was another Fear Factory album. I remember listening to it a lot.

Obsolete is my favorite. Even the packaging was awesome.

Obsolete is probably their best. Demanufacture is really damn good as well. I'm actually happy that Genexus was pretty good. Better than The Industrialist.

jmdajr

I think metal specifically struggles with micro labelling as a lot can seem insulting when really it's just to help people recommend and talk to each other about the bands they like. Though there is definitely a hierarchy and attempts at proving themselves legit whilst denouncing others. Happens with punk all the time

Yeah to me it's fine. It's good for categorizing. At least to me it's not meant as be an insult.
But I can understand not wanting to be confined in a category.

I am old enough to have hated Nu-Metal when it showed up because it was clearly inferior to Death Metal, so I have grumpy old man opinions here.

NuMetal did it's job as a gateway to extreme music. Korn's frontman was a huge Cannibal Corpse fan. Lots of the dudes in these bands respected "metal", they just wanted their own spin on it. It's all good.

Fhtagn

oh and much as it pains me to mention it, cuz I really love them, but Neurosis circa Enemy of the Sun are also kinda proto-Nu-Metal, like if you played some of their riffs a bit faster and cut the song lengths down and made the lyrics more teen-angsty instead of adult-angsty, they'd fit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Bands are notoriously bad at genres. Lemmy of Motörhead just always said "we play rock n' roll" (they don't, they play speed metal, but I forgive him ;)).

Linkin Park was shit?
Why is there an interrogation mark in your statement?

Quikies83

I haven't heard of many people who don't consider Tool a pioneer in the alternative metal genre (which I tend to put in with nu metal). That's why I specifically say that the label of nu metal is poor. It's probably why many don't consider chevelle, red or 10 Years nu metal even though you still have the heavy down tuned guitars, cracky snare, and aggressive lyrics.
Oh I consider Chevelle and Red nu-metal. Tool has always been more progressive rock than anything, IMO.

ElfArmy177

Linkin Park wasn't heavy enough for the hard rockers, and probably too bombastic for "normal people."

But hey, 10 millions albums sold so they connected with a shit ton of people. To me it's no different to how 80s rock bands connected with me. And they had the exact same issue as Linkin did.

Man, I don't wanna go off on a tangent but Linkin Park is far from bad and actually extremely talented for what they did. People called them whiny because the lead vocalist was totally fucked up and that's what he wrote about. Saying you don't like a popular band is one thing. Saying they are bad simply because you didn't like them is entirely ignorant. Not you, just people in the thread. I don't like Justin beiber but I can't deny he's talented, I can't stand Kayne but he's talented

I guess I just don't get it. If any of the leads of those bands listed as "better nu metal" committed suicide I genuinely don't think the fallout would be nearly as large. Hell, their debute album from almost 20 years ago was the top seller and listened to album the whole week after he killed himself. There was a tribute at the us embassy in Russia.. the band was def not bad

I would classify 'nu-metal' to be a mix of the following:

- simple pop songstructures
- often a catchy chorus
- (relatively) simple staccato guitar riffs, a lot of down tuned guitars
- mix of angry & clean vocals

with some added:
- electronics (dj, soundscapes, samples, or keys)
- rap/hiphop influenced vocals
- #angst and #edge
- optional: a 'gimmick'.

Ill Nino would be a good example of the above. Or one of my personal favorites; One Minute Silence.
I'd reduce it further and say guitars, a DJ and occasional (bad) rap are the bare essentials.

Man, I don't wanna go off on a tangent but Linkin Park is far from bad and actually extremely talented for what they did. People called them whiny because the lead vocalist was totally fucked up and that's what he wrote about. Saying you don't like a popular band is one thing. Saying they are bad simply because you didn't like them is entirely ignorant. Not you, just people in the thread. I don't like Justin beiber but I can't deny he's talented, I can't stand Kayne but he's talented

I guess I just don't get it. If any of the leads of those bands listed as "better nu metal" committed suicide I genuinely don't think the fallout would be nearly as large. Hell, their debute album from almost 20 years ago was the top seller and listened to album the whole week after he killed himself. There was a tribute at the us embassy in Russia.. the band was def not bad

Interesting how Chris Cornell and Chester killed them-selves in eerily similar circumstances in a relatively short period of time..

Fhtagn

Y
NuMetal did it's job as a gateway to extreme music. Korn's frontman was a huge Cannibal Corpse fan. Lots of the dudes in these bands respected "metal", they just wanted their own spin on it. It's all good.

In my experience with the local NJ scene in the 90s, a lot of dudes in NuMetal bands were in Death Metal bands just 2 years earlier than when Korn blew up. And before that, I knew at least one dude who spent years talking shit on death metal until suddenly he was playing that style too when it was popular.

Kinda revealed who were chasing the latest cool thing and who were dedicated to a specific expression. Hell, at least someone in Slipknot was involved in Anal Blast, if I recall correctly

That kind of pettiness aside, I am 100% down with people making new genres, I'm pretty much a music obsessive interested in a good several dozen subgenres, but due to the chance circumstance of my age and where I grew up, NuMetal is the music of the kids ~4 years younger than me and there's usually nothing one hates more than the thing that replaces the thing that was "ones thing" when one was 14. So, while I acknowledge it's a bit irrational, I really do loathe most of it. It's also such a young angsty person's music that it's almost impossible to get into in middle age, so it's not like I can go back and appreciate it out of context now.

Much like i like psyche/prog/fusion/free jazz/improv music but can't get into jam bands, I like brutal slam, hip-hop, death metal, sludge, stoner, etc but can't stand most numetal.

Neith

Banned

but that said...

From my perspective, Sepultura - Chaos A.D. is definitively the first Nu-Metal record. It inspired Korn, who in turn inspired Sepultura's next album, Roots.

Chaos A.D. is also a rare example of "what would Nu-Metal sound like if Nu-Metal didn't suck?"

I can also deal with System of a Down, and I never intentionally listened to Linkin Park but they were the least bad of that batch of bands.

Yeah, I agree. Korn was a fairly inventive on their first couple. And Sepultura basically had a hand in starting the genre.

Not sure Chaos is full nu metal though.

jmdajr

I feel ya. Everything I like is shit basically. Obviously I don't think it, and millions of other don't either.

I'm not apologizing for anything. I don't listen to any music "ironically." If I like it, I like it and that's it.

Fhtagn

since when is SOAD nu-metal? music genres are a fucking mess.

It's a timing and cultural thing; like at the time in the late 80s, the media called Godflesh "grindcore" just because they were ex-Napalm Death and on Earache.

These days, no one would confuse the two.

SOAD was def lumped in with NuMetal at the time, but they are also an outlier on the music.

Yeah, I agree. Korn was a fairly inventive on their first couple. And Sepultura basically had a hand in starting the genre.

Not sure Chaos is full nu metal though.

Yeah, it's not pure nu metal, it's got some thrash and punk feeling too, but I heard Refuse/Resist over the PA at St. Vitus recently and was struck that I thought it was from Roots until the chorus hit.

jmdajr

That kind of pettiness aside, I am 100% down with people making new genres, I'm pretty much a music obsessive interested in a good several dozen subgenres, but due to the chance circumstance of my age and where I grew up, NuMetal is the music of the kids ~4 years younger than me and there's usually nothing one hates more than the thing that replaces the thing that was "ones thing" when one was 14. So, while I acknowledge it's a bit irrational, I really do loathe most of it. It's also such a young angsty person's music that it's almost impossible to get into in middle age, so it's not like I can go back and appreciate it out of context now.

Hey I totally feel that. Grunge pretty much killed all the music I like dead. It made it a fucking joke. Even Metallica gave up. I liked Nirvana and Pearl Jam, but I would never say I loved them. Never went to their shows etc. It's just what was available to me.

But I thank Grunge for killing mainstream metal because it made me go after underground metal music. I'm not going to go on about all the music found, but I felt so revitalized. Before that, I had pretty much given up and moved on to electronic music.

Soltype

WhiteZombie-AstroCreep2000.jpg

Would Astro Creep 2000 fall into Nu Metal?, it was very interesting when it came out, still holds up today too.

since when is SOAD nu-metal? music genres are a fucking mess.

Yea it's the reason I didn't list them. Other than having down tuned guitars, I don't really see what characteristics they have that would deserve them the label. One of my favorite bands of all time.

And honestly, I really hate the sigma of nu-metal being all crap. There bad in every genre and there were plenty of bands doing some really cool things at the time. Really unique stuff in there.

Prurient

Banned
No matter how bad some 'nu-metal' got, it was all worth it for this:

61lo7JnEXxL.jpg

Anyhoo, this thread shows just how stupid genres are. There's only two genres: music you dig and music you don't. Beyond that who gives a fuck.

jmdajr

No matter how bad some 'nu-metal' got, it was all worth it for this:

61lo7JnEXxL.jpg

Anyhoo, this thread shows just how stupid genres are. There's only two genres: music you dig and music you don't. Beyond that who gives a fuck.

"Dude you need to listen to IMMORTAL, they are fucking awesome!"
"What do they sound like?"
"Don't worry about it! Trust me!"

"Dude you to listen to IMMORTAL, they are fucking awesome!"

Yeah. The subgenres in Metal are absolutely vital. I'm not exactly going to recommend Morbid Angel to someone who is really into Twilight Force even though both are Metal.

Seventy70

Disregarding Watkins' misdemeanour (to put it lightly), I always thought Lostprophets' early stuff was good.
I agree. Their early stuff was great. some of their songs had very interesting melodies. It was sort of like a British version of the Grunge/Nu-Metal sound.

A few favorites of mine:
https://youtu.be/QCAHl-zP__w
https://youtu.be/yfgstJb5zSk

It's a real shame because the band was always very musically talented. Even after their Nu-Metal days they did catchy very well. This one from the Spider-Man 2 OST brings back tons of '00 memories. I never cared for the singing or lyrics though. I can't imagine what it feels like to have that hard work thrown away because of that asshole.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well...
"Dude you need to listen to IMMORTAL, they are fucking awesome!"
Yeah. The subgenres in Metal are absolutely vital. I'm not exactly going to recommend Morbid Angel to someone who is really into Twilight Force even though both are Metal.
Thank you. The whole sense of superiority because you "don't are about genres" is insipid and annoying. You aren't more clever or "open-minded (tm)" because of your grand indifference to... useful descriptive words, guy.

The implication that you need a mountains of subgenres to describe music just demonstrates a lack of understanding. Subgenres quickly just become adjectives that serve as a short hand for other features we already have words for. It's not hard.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Deftones are literally the only good thing to come out of Nu-Metal, and they weren't even really Nu-Metal; at least from WP onwards.

Rage aren't nu metal.

Sure, but I can see where he's coming from. They're definitely precursors, kinda in the same way The Stooges were to Punk. There's a couple of tracks on RATM's first album that predate a lot of the scene.

You know about the singer right?

I think they're doing it for the mega lols. :/

Top Bottom