• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nazi Airplane lands on Georgia Highway

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/plane-with-wwii-nazi-design-lands-316-gwinnett/5aWK8TqYEM8uKs99fNA00O/

plane.jpg

A small airplane landed on Ga. 316 in Gwinnett County on Monday afternoon, police said.

Fred Meyer, who was piloting the plane, was the only person on board. He does not own the aircraft but built the engine and helps take care of the maintenance, he told Channel 2 Action News.

“The engine just quit, it just died,” Meyer told Channel 2. “You just sort of fall back on your training at that point in time. You dont think of the circumstances, you just think of your training.”

The plane was described by a Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman as a “Sonex experimental, amateur-built aircraft.” Sonex is a company that sells kits that allow people to build their own airplanes.

Meyer told Channel 2 the Nazi design was “just for fun.”

“A lot of people like to paint these planes up like old war birds,” Meyer said.

If there was already a thread my apologies I did nazi

shandy706

Eh, having an aviation friend it really is not unusual to see old war designs on custom/replica stuff.

I would go for something else though 😂

Could have left the tail detail off, but I'd make my judgement based on if it is an exact paint replica of a certain plane.

Deepwater

this is tough.

some of those luftwaffe planes were boss and he might just legitimately be into recreating relics

but he might also be secretly a neo nazi.

Xe4

Banned
I get that aviation junkies probably want the "realest" experience possible but maybe you should go for something that isn't literally Nazi's, bro.

Painting it like an old WWII warplane? Okay, sure.

Adding the German Iron Cross to it? Fine, if that really floats your boat, whatever.

Throwing the Nazi Swastika on it? You dun goofed.

Mahonay

Banned
I get that aviation junkies probably want the "realest" experience possible, but maybe you should go for something that isn't literally Nazi's bro.
It's Georgia. It's not a stretch at all that maybe this person is cool with Nazis in general.

MrKaepora

Eh, having an aviation friend it really is not unusual to see old war designs on custom/replica stuff.

Yep. It's pretty common in air festivals and among collectors.

Not going to judge him before I know more.

Elandyll

Banned
this is tough.

some of those luftwaffe planes were boss and he might just legitimately be into recreating relics

but he might also be secretly a neo nazi.
Yeah at first I was like "it's just ww2 German Luftwaffe stuff", but then I saw the tail...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I don't know, luftwaffe garb does not necessarily mean skinhead.

There is no swastika on the thing.

There is one, actually. I didn't see it at first either.

I don't mind the paintjob, but the Nazi cross is insensitive - assuming he's genuinely not a neonazi, otherwise it makes 'sense'. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a bit of authenticity.

He painted it like a BF-109, that's fine, but he really didn't need to add the swastika. Lot of German planes never had the swastika on them, it's really unnecessary.

Mimosa97

People who think WWII buffs won't go as far as painting a swastika on a miniature airplane just for " accuracy " don't understand the obsession some people have with the war.

But hey this guy could also be a white supremacist who's just spewing some bullshit to save face.

Deepwater

Could have left the tail detail off, but I'd make my judgement based on if it is an exact paint replica of a certain plane.

WW2 war stuff is amazingly romanticized. People just like the novelty of all the death machines from that era, Planes, Tanks, Ships, Guns.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Surprised he didn't paint a half naked lounging Richard Spencer giving a come hither look on the side of his plane.

Deepwater

People who think WWII buffs won't go as far as painting a swastika on a miniature airplane just for " accuracy " don't understand the obsession some people have with the war.

But hey this guy could also be a white supremacist who's just spewing some bullshit to save face.

this is where I'm at. It honestly could go both ways.

Mahonay

Banned
Nazi's had some beautiful equipment. It doesn't mean he was a neonazi at all.
It's just a modern plane made to look like a Nazi plane. It's not an actual historical plane, where yeah a lot of people would go for as much accuracy as possible.

yeah but AFAIK, luftwaffe planes didn't have swastikas on them by default.

Hari Seldon

I could see if you actually had a vintage BF-109 or something, but painting a swastika on a kit plane is highly questionable.

Not gonna defend the guy because he might be a racist asshole, but not going to attack him either because that's not even his plane.

Top Bottom