• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Finally finished the game :) All in all took me 24:26 with measly 16.59% completion. There's so much to-do that it's pretty ridiculous. Not going to go for the 100%, but might seek out for some substories more. First Yakuza game that I have played more than the demo of.

Really liked the game, especially after the story really ramps up. Fighting was fun, substories were fun, great sounds and some great visuals here and there. Only frustrating parts were some of the Playstation 2 era jankiness, but it does have it's own charm too. Great and pretty unique game, hopefully the remastered version of the (first and second?) one comes out outside of Japan too.

How the hell do I
beat the Electronics King
? I have huge trouble with opponents in rush style to be honest. He dodges every attack and counters my ass on every occasion.

edit: All right beast mode worked.

*sees the mahjong sign*

I have been summoned.

To go out, you need to clear two han. You managed to clear only one

Winning by calling = 1 han

You should've tried to spice it up. Maybe gotten a Dora or something

The problem is i played Mahjong for the first time in my life today (unless there were some trophies tied to it in Y3 & Y4, but those had cheating items, so it wouldn't really count as playing) and i'm in way over my head, it's a big learning process. All the tiles were confusing at first and it didn't help that the character tiles aren't numbered with arabic numbers in the corner, so i had to learn their sequence first. The circle and bamboo tiles are fine, but i'm still not sure what to do with the wind and dragon tiles, other than pairs or triplets. I started out just trying to do simple hands and didn't really pay attention to Dora until after a couple of hours. I've won a few games at the intermediate table now and while it's going to take a while to get to 10 million yen that way, it's still preferrable to playing at the pro table, where i get destroyed. The sheer number of hands you can assemble is quite overwhelming, so i'm just trying to remember some of the simpler ones and go from there, hoping to slowly build up my knowledge of the game. I already got the CP for going out 10 times, but the specific ones seem like they could be very dependant on luck. I only got one Riichi so far, so getting a Riichi Ippatsu seems like a crapshot at this point.

I could make a thread about elements in a game that you see and are happy to say you have 0 interest in wasting time on with Mahjong in Yakuza being my key example.

I actually find it quite interesting as i'm starting to understand it better, and i'd rather play Mahjong than work on my Space Harrier and Fantasy Zone scores, all of which are the last thing separating me from getting to 100%.

Is Mahjong fun? I'm considering to learn it so I can 100% the game. I also came across some chess-like game but I wasn't sure what that was about.

Shogi is the Japanese chess game, I've still not really learned that mini game even after trying for several years across multiple Yakuza games. Thankfully the mini game can be cheesed, as they have a mission mode you can play, and guides online exist to show you exactly how to complete those missions which count toward the CP goals for Shogi.

Mahjong I find incredibly fun and addictive. Its got a steep learning curve initially as it is partially luck based, but once you learn a few decent hands etc. it can get really addictive. I still remember the game clicking for me when I was playing Yakuza Ishin, after that I've ended up pouring who knows how many hours into the mini game across several of the recent Yakuza sequels.

Is Yakuza Kiwami as good as Y0?

Not quite (in my opinion). What Kiwami falls down on is basically content. The base game is a remake of the original PS2 Yakuza game which didn't have all that much in the way of side content outside of the main story (basically just the side missions, the crane game, batting center, the fighting arena and the gambling games).
Kiwami adds in more mini games like Mahjong, Shogi, Karaoke, Bowling, Pocket Racer etc. along with a few new side stories and the "Majima Anywhere System" which basically results in Majima challenging you to battles anywhere in Kamuracho (some of the scenario's are truly brilliant). Only issue with the Majima stuff is it can get to be a bit of a grind if your either aiming to restore your Dragon of Dojima fighting style to working order, or aiming for 100% completion.

It also takes advantage of the combat advantages of 0 and gives you all the fighting styles and heat moves from 0, which is great since the PS2 version of the original game feels very bare bones these days in terms of combat moves. Heck, even Majima keeps his fighting styles when you battle him, making some of his optional fights really great!

Kiwami though doesn't feature any all new mini games (no, that stupid rock, paper scissors game doesn't really count!) and the arcade sucks compared to 0 (thankfully Sega fixed this complaint with Yakuza 6, which has an amazing arcade). As a result of it having less content than newer games in the series its one of the shorter games to finish (either just sticking to the main story or going for 100% completion). It definitely feels like a more "budget" title than 0 since it was a smaller scale remake done by Sega on a smaller budget (I believe) to tide fans over until Yakuza 6 was released in Japan. Its still a high quality game, and since its a remake of the first game it has some of the best characters/story in the entire series (in my opinion). Its an excellent game, just in terms of content I'd put 0 above it since they really went all out to make 0 an excellent evolution on the franchise.

Not quite (in my opinion). What Kiwami falls down on is basically content. The base game is a remake of the original PS2 Yakuza game which didn't have all that much in the way of side content outside of the main story (basically just the side missions, the crane game, batting center, the fighting arena and the gambling games).
Kiwami adds in more mini games like Mahjong, Shogi, Karaoke, Bowling, Pocket Racer etc. along with a few new side stories and the "Majima Anywhere System" which basically results in Majima challenging you to battles anywhere in Kamuracho (some of the scenario's are truly brilliant). Only issue with the Majima stuff is it can get to be a bit of a grind if your either aiming to restore your Dragon of Dojima fighting style to working order, or aiming for 100% completion.

It also takes advantage of the combat advantages of 0 and gives you all the fighting styles and heat moves from 0, which is great since the PS2 version of the original game feels very bare bones these days in terms of combat moves. Heck, even Majima keeps his fighting styles when you battle him, making some of his optional fights really great!

Kiwami though doesn't feature any all new mini games (no, that stupid rock, paper scissors game doesn't really count!) and the arcade sucks compared to 0 (thankfully Sega fixed this complaint with Yakuza 6, which has an amazing arcade). As a result of it having less content than newer games in the series its one of the shorter games to finish (either just sticking to the main story or going for 100% completion). It definitely feels like a more "budget" title than 0 since it was a smaller scale remake done by Sega on a smaller budget (I believe) to tide fans over until Yakuza 6 was released in Japan. Its still a high quality game, and since its a remake of the first game it has some of the best characters/story in the entire series (in my opinion). Its an excellent game, just in terms of content I'd put 0 above it since they really went all out to make 0 an excellent evolution on the franchise.

Yeah, but which AV girls are in Kiwami? I asked before but didn't get a definite answer.

So I had the choice today between this and Horizon Zero Dawn and I wonder if I made a mistake.

This seems like a game that could become rare or at least not super easy to find in the future. I'm afraid if I don't jump on it soon it might not be so easy to jump on later.

So you think there's any validity to this? Should I return my unopened copy of Horizon to make sure I get while the getting is good?

So I had the choice today between this and Horizon Zero Dawn and I wonder if I made a mistake.

This seems like a game that could become rare or at least not super easy to find in the future. I'm afraid if I don't jump on it soon it might not be so easy to jump on later.

So you think there's any validity to this? Should I return my unopened copy of Horizon to make sure I get while the getting is good?

I personally haven't played Yakuza 0. But I'm currently playing Horizon, wishing I was playing Yakuza

Imo, this will be worth more than Horizon in a couple years too.

Yeah, but which AV girls are in Kiwami? I asked before but didn't get a definite answer.

No idea I'm afraid, I'm not really familiar with that sort of thing. I think there are only two hostesses in Kiwami though. Which is actually less than the amount of hostesses we got in the original PS2 version of the game (one hostess per club, as opposed to 2-3). Not that I'm complaining, that side of things always got a tad repetitive after finishing the third hostess storyline!

No idea I'm afraid, I'm not really familiar with that sort of thing. I think there are only two hostesses in Kiwami though. Which is actually less than the amount of hostesses we got in the original PS2 version of the game (one hostess per club, as opposed to 2-3). Not that I'm complaining, that side of things always got a tad repetitive after finishing the third hostess storyline!

And I assume the hostesses are the only AV girls? No cameos in substories? Zero was pretty much the only game that went this deep.

This is unacceptable, Sega!

You made a mistake only because Yakuza 0 is the most pure fun you will have with a videogame this year. Plus once you play Y0 you're going to want to play Kiwami which comes out in the summer, so you need to put some space between them.

Djostikk

Am I the only one who struggled with Isobe dance battle? I'm sure it took me at least one hour to finally SURPASS her. Loving cabaret mini game, very addicting, also got 570 millions from Shakedown. Game is tons of fun and pure joy to play. Glad I bought it.

You made a mistake only because Yakuza 0 is the most pure fun you will have with a videogame this year. Plus once you play Y0 you're going to want to play Kiwami which comes out in the summer, so you need to put some space between them.

Exactly this. I'm not finished yet, but already want Kiwami in my veins! I'm wondering if it will have English voice acting, since the original game had.

Whew, thanks for that. Can I go 0 -> Kiwami -> 6? Does that make sense?

That....that was awful. I normally like English dubs for a lot of Japanese games but I would much rather stick with Yakuza in Japanese I think.

After experiencing the Japanese Dub, it's almost impossible to go back to English. Mark Hamil's performance was just one bright spot in a sea of darkness.

*sees the mahjong sign*

I have been summoned.

To go out, you need to clear two han. You managed to clear only one

Winning by calling = 1 han

You should've tried to spice it up. Maybe gotten a Dora or something

I finally managed do get the Riichi Ippatsu and 10 million Yen CP, i also went out with a Mangan once, but that was sheer coincidence. Can you give me any tips about going after Mangan, Haneman and a Full Straight?

Gacha-pin

I'm just starting to learn how to play Mahjong and i don't have a full grasp on it yet. Can anyone explain why i didn't win the round with these two hands, when it was my turn?

I thought it's sufficient to have 4 sets and a pair, but i didn't get a prompt to end the round and instead had to discard a tile, which in one of these cases caused a ron for the next player.

Edit: I just checked the rules and the default setting is 2 han, so i take it that hands that fall below that don't qualify as a round ender?

Edit: Hmm, had the same situation happen again, despite changed rules.

Edit 3: Under additional rules it says the hand has to be worth at least 1 yaku, now i only need to find out what that entails. :)
Doing Chi/Pon extracts 1 han from your hand. The hands you posted only have one han and you did Chi/Pon on both times. So it means your hands had 0 han and you got disqualified.

Until you do know the rules and hands, just try not to do Chi/Pon. Try making a sequential pair more is also a good way to do. Having the same tiles of three makes less chances to get better hands.

Doing Chi/Pon extracts 1 han from your hand. The hands you posted only have one han and you did Chi/Pon on both times. So it means your hands had 0 han and you got disqualified.

Until you do know the rules and hands, just try not to do Chi/Pon. Try making a sequential pair more is also a good way to do. Having the same tiles of three makes less chances to get better hands.

Thanks, i knew that chi/pon are worth less than if i had a closed hand, but i didn't relaize that they actually subtract your points, it makes sense now. The bolded is what i've been consciously trying to do today and it finally got me the Riichi Ippatsu. Now i only need some hints for combos that will help me get 4 more Mangan and a Haneman. The straight flush seems like it's very dependant on luck, but i'll keep trying.

Rymuth

I finally managed do get the Riichi Ippatsu and 10 million Yen CP, i also went out with a Mangan once, but that was sheer coincidence. Can you give me any tips about going after Mangan, Haneman and a Full Straight?
Full straight : get 123 456 789 of any suit in your hand

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ69Y2CaSOY

Mangan: 5 han
Haneman: 6-7 han
Baiman: 8-9 han

For you to get them, you *need* to understand what hans are and memorize atleast a few. Hans are awarded for clearing certain 'conditions' - the more conditions/hurdles you clear, the more han your hand is worth.

Memorize these hans

Declaring riichi = 1 han
ippatsu/ Winning in the first turn after declaring riichi = 1 Han
7 pairs = 2 han
Triplet of dragons = 1 han x each
Triplet of winds = 1 han x each
3 triplets = 2 han
Dora = 1 han x each tile

Now since you're a beginner, your best bet is to focus on the dora. Im assuming you know but lets be safe. The tile in the middle of the table for all players to see is the dora indicator. It changes every match. Whoever has the next tile in the sequence is awarded a han.

Suppose the tile shows 1-bamboo, in which case, try to get as many 2-bamboos in your hand as possible.

Or if it shows 5-kanji, gather as many 6-kanji as possible. 9-whatever, hold on to the 1-whatever...and so on

If it shows wind, just go clockwise. N-E-S-W.

So if you won with a riichi, ippatsu, 3 dora...what does that make? 1+1+3 = 5 han. A mangan hand.

Full straight : get 123 456 789 of any suit in your hand

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ69Y2CaSOY

Mangan: 5 han
Haneman: 6-7 han
Baiman: 8-9 han

For you to get them, you *need* to understand what hans are and memorize atleast a few. Hans are awarded for clearing certain 'conditions' - the more conditions/hurdles you clear, the more han your hand is worth.

Memorize these hans

Declaring riichi = 1 han
ippatsu/ Winning in the first turn after declaring riichi = 1 Han
7 pairs = 2 han
Triplet of dragons = 1 han x each
Triplet of winds = 1 han x each
3 triplets = 2 han
Dora = 1 han x each tile

Now since you're a beginner, your best bet is to focus on the dora. Im assuming you know but lets be safe. The tile in the middle of the table for all players to see is the dora indicator. It changes every match. Whoever has the next tile in the sequence is awarded a han.

Suppose the tile shows 1-bamboo, in which case, try to get as many 2-bamboos in your hand as possible.

Or if it shows 5-kanji, gather as many 6-kanji as possible. 9-whatever, hold on to the 1-whatever...and so on

If it shows wind, just go clockwise. N-E-S-W.

So if you won with a riichi, ippatsu, 3 dora...what does that make? 1+1+3 = 5 han. A mangan hand.

This is great info, thanks! I've read in a guide that you should try to go after sequences instead of triplets, because they are easier to form, which actually got me my first Riichi Ippatsu, but i didn't realize dragon and wind triplets were worth that much, that's good to know! I learned about the dora since yesterday, but thanks for the explanation!

omgkitty

My sister really hates the Disco minigame a lot. It frustrated her (she was on the last dancer with Maejima)

I don't hate it, but it gets hard to see where to go next at times, especially on harder difficulties because there is so much shit on the screen. I understand why they overlay it with you dancing, but there's just too many colors on the screen. I think the game that annoys me most was karaoke because each line change has a different speed which is absolutely absurd. It will double speed on some lines with a prompt right at the beginning.

Rymuth

This is great info, thanks! I've read in a guide that you should try to go after sequences instead of triplets, because they are easier to form, which actually got me my first Riichi Ippatsu, but i didn't realize dragon and wind triplets were worth that much, that's good to know! I learned about the dora since yesterday, but thanks for the explanation!
Just so there's no confusion, I didn't mean that a triplet of dragon is worth 3 han. It's that for every triplet of dragon, you get a han.

So, imagine if my hand consisted of a triplet of red dragon, white dragon and North Wind, it'd be awarded with the following

Triplet of Red dragon = 1 han
Triplet of White Dragon = 1 han
Triplet of North wind = 1 han
Three triplets = 2 han

^ that's already a mangan worthy hand and I haven't even declared riichi or factored the dora.yet

danmaku

I reached chapter 10 and wow, the story is finally starting to get interesting!

Kiryu was a pretty boring character so far, but now he finally got his ass kicked (briefly, but it's better than nothing) and realized he can't fight the entire fucking world alone, even with the magical power of being the main character in a prequel story. What I totally did NOT expect was Tachibana being the bat tattoo guy. I thought they were going to tie the two stories by revealing that Makoto is the owner of the empty lot, and I still think they'll do it, but this revelation about Tachibana raises the stakes. Now I can't wait to see what happens when Majima will clash with Kiryu.

On the other hand, I noticed that the side stories seem to have dried up completely. In the previous chapters I couldn't walk for half a minute without bashing into a side story, now I can't find them anymore. Maybe I'm supposed to go on with the main story to unlock the other ones?

Whew, thanks for that. Can I go 0 -> Kiwami -> 6? Does that make sense?

You can if you'd like. There is a recap of 5's ending at the beginning of 6 so it makes sense even if you've not played the previous games. I'd always suggest that playing all the games through is the way to go if you can just for the Kiryu/Haruka character development between games but you won't really be all that lost if you go from Kiwami to 6.

Is it possible to beat
Miracle in dancing
? He got like close to 10k points lol.

Nope, that's not a dance you can win!

Just so there's no confusion, I didn't mean that a triplet of dragon is worth 3 han. It's that for every triplet of dragon, you get a han.

So, imagine if my hand consisted of a triplet of red dragon, white dragon and North Wind, it'd be awarded with the following

Triplet of Red dragon = 1 han
Triplet of White Dragon = 1 han
Triplet of North wind = 1 han
Three triplets = 2 han

^ that's already a mangan worthy hand and I haven't even declared riichi or factored the dora.yet

Yeah, i quickly found out that would have been too easy.
Regardless, i just got a full straight and another mangan (no-points hand, full straight, and dora for 5 han), so i only need 3 more mangan and a haniman. :)

Thanks!

Shogi is the Japanese chess game, I've still not really learned that mini game even after trying for several years across multiple Yakuza games. Thankfully the mini game can be cheesed, as they have a mission mode you can play, and guides online exist to show you exactly how to complete those missions which count toward the CP goals for Shogi.

Mahjong I find incredibly fun and addictive. Its got a steep learning curve initially as it is partially luck based, but once you learn a few decent hands etc. it can get really addictive. I still remember the game clicking for me when I was playing Yakuza Ishin, after that I've ended up pouring who knows how many hours into the mini game across several of the recent Yakuza sequels.

Does it actually teach you how to play in the Yakuza games? I've been dying to learn how to play Mahjong for quite some time now.

Does it actually teach you how to play in the Yakuza games? I've been dying to learn how to play Mahjong for quite some time now.

The in game instructions aren't too bad, but it is still fairly confusing. I actually learned Mahjong thanks to the gamefaqs user Barticle - who has wrote some excellent faqs for Shogi and Mahjong and frequents the Yakuza boards over at Gamefaqs. He just basically told me what I was doing wrong and gave me pointers on how to do the basic hands in the game. From there it just sorta clicked.

Jimrpg

If you want a physical copy of Yakuza 0, get it now. While older Yakuzas have been discounted in the past, that might very well have been retailers off loading their copies for cheap because they couldn't sell. Yakuza 0 is selling really well so there's no knowing when they will suddenly run out of copies.

I'm sure there will be plenty of copies of Horizon floating around and at worst theres 2.6m preowned copies out in the wild. Yakuza 0 we're talking less than 100k.

For reference Uncharted 4 a Sony exclusive is about half price about a year later if you're looking to get Horizon for cheap later on.

The digital version for both will get discounted a bit for sure. But I'd get Yakuza 0 just for the reason there are less copies printed.

Jimrpg

The instructions aren't great in game. Its serviceable if you really pay attention but it might go after some people's heads if you've never seen the game before. You'll be fine if you give it a shot and then just ask questions in here.

Mahjong is really great in Yakuza and worth learning. It's a mini game you can keep playing without it ever getting old just like Mahjong IRL.

In Yakuza 1, they add a lot of swearing... the F word came way too often... Yakuza 2 is a little less problematic, they keep Japaneses voice in 2 and upward so it's much better.

I mean actual mistranslations. Nothing you'd easily notice like typos and whatnot. It's what I've read in other boards at least, the first few translations were supposedly a bit sloppy but it's gotten increasingly better over the years.

The instructions aren't great in game. Its serviceable if you really pay attention but it might go after some people's heads if you've never seen the game before. You'll be fine if you give it a shot and then just ask questions in here.

Mahjong is really great in Yakuza and worth learning. It's a mini game you can keep playing without it ever getting old just like Mahjong IRL.

I wanna learn so I can pull a fast one on my inlaws whom are addicted to Mahjong. They keep trying to encourage me to play so they can milk me dry. (They know I can't play) I wanna surprise them one day and take them up on their offer...

Yessss, i just took care of my final two Mahjong related CPs with this lucky hand!

yakuza0_20170328031933vl6t.png

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I was dreading having to play Mahjong, but now i'm a fan, even though i still have much to learn. Does Yakuza Kiwami also have Mahjong? :D

Now onto my last two obstacles to 100%, Fantasy Zone and Space Harrier. I'll probably come here to vent in a few days.

Completed all minigames except one. Gotta learn how to play mahjong now. Really wish the game had cheat items.

Edit: I have no idea what I'm doing

Neither did i, just a couple of days ago. Read through the last page or two for some great tips!

xezuru

Grabbing this tomorrow hopefully. Fingers crossed GAF doesnt lead me astray on this...

Lay some time out for it, do the sidequests, hard save often, don't equip charismatic autobiography, stock on billions of healing items, and enjoy the shit out of it.

Demoskinos

Is there anything missible in terms of side stories or completion list stuff?

I just bought the game and am on chapter 2 just thought I should figure this out now before I get much further in.

Jimrpg

I wanna learn so I can pull a fast one on my inlaws whom are addicted to Mahjong. They keep trying to encourage me to play so they can milk me dry. (They know I can't play) I wanna surprise them one day and take them up on their offer...

Just remember there are various types of mahjong (Hong Kong, Riichi (Japanese), Taiwanese etc.) with slightly different variations in hands and things. The mahjong in Yakuza is obviously the Japanese one - so for me personally there was a slight adjustment from the Hong Kong one with flowers and also different complete hands.

Is there anything missible in terms of side stories or completion list stuff?

I just bought the game and am on chapter 2 just thought I should figure this out now before I get much further in.

Nope, you can do everything by the end of the game, or even after finishing the main story.

Though a lot of stuff unlocks as you progress in the story.

Top Bottom