• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boem

I read that thing and I honestly thought it was a joke.

Still, sounds fun and I have no idea what to expect from that.

I know, you don't want us to know and want to keep your little insiders, but would be nice, for discussion sakes.

Symbol of the Jedi.

You actually see it in the trailer, on the cover of the book which is likely to be the Journal of the Whills.

Last-Jedi-teaser-Journal-of-the-Whills-904492.jpg

I thought in the original TFA draft she followed them to the Resistance base? I just assumed she'd end up there because of that, but I guess technically she could be anywhere.

Yeah, there's a shot of her handing Luke's saber to Leia in the 2nd teaser. At some point she was gonna come back to the Resistance HQ with the rest of the crew, but in the edit they apparently cut all that shit out. So she just sorta... disappears from the movie abruptly with no explanation.

Kinda like how there's never any cuts back to the First Order HQ to show that Hux/Kylo/Phasma didn't become part of the sun, either.

(and like how there's nothing that establishes what the fuck Hosnian Prime is until 2 seconds before it explodes)

Emarv

Symbol of the Jedi.

You actually see it in the trailer, on the cover of the book which is likely to be the Journal of the Whills.

Last-Jedi-teaser-Journal-of-the-Whills-904492.jpg

This is what's making me think that Luke's gonna pitch a new form of the Jedi that's basically the "ancient Jedi". He'll say he began learning the classic Jedi order ways, it went bad so he went searching for even more ancient Force connections. Led him to the Whills which were the first "Jedi". They keep the name and general concepts but get rid of the extreme dogma and tell her to be honest with herself.

Star Wars Ep IX: Meet the new Jedi, kinda like the old Jedi but better. (Tentative title)

This is what's making me think that Luke's gonna pitch a new form of the Jedi that's basically the "ancient Jedi". He'll say he began learning the classic Jedi order ways, it went bad so he went searching for even more ancient Force connections. Led him to the Whills which were the first "Jedi". They keep the name and general concepts but get rid of the extreme dogma and tell her to be honest with herself.

Yup. After what happened with Kylo he went seeking the first Jedi temple I'm guessing to gain more insight and maybe learn some secrets to help weed out exactly why things keep going wrong. Luke saying it's time for the Jedi to end doesn't mean that he's given up in general. Just that he wants to end the title of Jedi specifically.

The Jedi must end =/= fuck it all. But it's a cool thing to put in the trailer because they knew most people would consider it to mean that Luke is giving up everything.

Yeah, there's a shot of her handing Luke's saber to Leia in the 2nd teaser. At some point she was gonna come back to the Resistance HQ with the rest of the crew, but in the edit they apparently cut all that shit out. So she just sorta... disappears from the movie abruptly with no explanation.

Kinda like how there's never any cuts back to the First Order HQ to show that Hux/Kylo/Phasma didn't become part of the sun, either.

(and like how there's nothing that establishes what the fuck Hosnian Prime is until 2 seconds before it explodes)

Cut content from Star Wars films is just so fascinating. You get stuff like the entire ending of Rogue One changing, Shaak Ti dying in ROTS - two drastically differing points of the film as well - and as I have learned from this thread, Palpatine stealing Anakin's lightsaber in the duel with Windu.

Sephzilla

Yup. After what happened with Kylo he went seeking the first Jedi temple I'm guessing to gain more insight and maybe learn some secrets to help weed out exactly why things keep going wrong. Luke saying it's time for the Jedi to end doesn't mean that he's given up in general. Just that he wants to end the title of Jedi specifically.

The Jedi must end =/= fuck it all

Yeah, to echo what I've said previously he probably just came to the realization that the Jedi everyone knows about were probably flawed. He's likely reinventing the Jedi.

Star Wars Ep IX: Meet the new Jedi, kinda like the old Jedi but better. (Tentative title)

Return of the Jedha.

sphagnum

Banned
If Luke reverts the Jedi back to their ancient ways, technically that would make him an Orthodox Jedi, not Protestant. In that case, the PT Jedi still get to be Catholics.

Emarv

oh my god
I remember some YouTube videos saying that that's supposed to be Yoda sitting on top of that rock.

As silly as that would be, being honest with myself I really want Yoda somewhere in this new trilogy. He's just so essential to Star Wars for me, but I recognize that's more of a personal issue.

If Luke reverts the Jedi back to their ancient ways, technically that would make him an Orthodox Jedi, not Protestant. In that case, the PT Jedi still get to be Catholics.

I was raised evangelical and a major point they tried to push was that evangelicalism was about taking Christianity back to its central goal of just being about a relationship with Christ. Could see Luke being like that. All that matters is you being connected to the Force and maintaining that relationship. (Although the analogy is false because evangelicalism if often more extreme than everything)

Boem

It's all a red herring. In the full movie it'll be 'It's time for the Jedi to end...orse Bernie Sanders'.

It's no coincidence that this trilogy will end just before 2020.

I remember some YouTube videos saying that that's supposed to be Yoda sitting on top of that rock.

As silly as that would be, being honest with myself I really want Yoda somewhere in this new trilogy. He's just so essential to Star Wars for me, but I recognize that's more of a personal issue.

I'm pretty sure it's just a rock/statue.

That said, I'm sure they'll do Yoda again in a new movie. They won't miss that chance. Maybe not this current trilogy (although it's possible), but somewhere, at some point. Maybe one of the spinoff movies, if it makes sense somewhere.

I personally really want Anakin, Obi and Yoda to stay out of these films, I'm accustomed the idea that their spirits are at peace after ROTJ.

Yeah, to echo what I've said previously he probably just came to the realization that the Jedi everyone knows about were probably flawed. He's likely reinventing the Jedi.

Which thrills me because it directly continues the idea of Lucas' representation of the Jedi in the prequels, where had they not been so robotic, egotistical and downright inhumane, Anakin wouldn't have had a reason to go to the dark side. That being said, I'm curious as to the specifics of how Luke was handling things and why Kylo went dark. Theoretically, Luke was initially building a new order of Jedi but this time involving the insight from the Force starting from Qui-Gon's teachings to Yoda and Obi-Wan while they were in exile.

You get the feeling that Qui-Gon learned a lot in the afterlife and passed it onto them, which is why they're more "sage-like" in the originals. When Episode 1 came out I remember a lot of people talking about how they imagined the Jedi to be more like Qui-Gon. He was the first Jedi to presumably become "one with" the Force upon death, and his discoveries in the Force afterlife or fucking whatever was passed onto Obi-Wan and Yoda, which I imagine would then be passed on to Luke through Force communication or even the ghosts appearing before Luke to discuss the matter.

So again-- what went wrong here? I think that's the question on Luke's mind, and his journey and exile to Ach-To is going to shed some light on it.

LosDaddie

Banned
Personally, I think all the promotional material (trailer & official poster) released thus far are all just a fake-out for fans. The trailer (and even the poster) made it seems as if Luke might turn into Vader 2.0, but I doubt Disney/LF is going to have one of the most iconic heroes in pop culture go evil.

Luke will probably have his Crisis of Conscience about the Jedi Order, and then Rey will be the one to bring him back into the Light. Or maybe I'm totally wrong 🤷🏽

If you act obviously sexist & racist, that's probably gonna get you called out for being sexist and racist, though.

I mean, that's not a Star Wars thing.

Dunno why you're so eager to have this happen to you/around you/in front of you.

And when your toolbox consists solely of a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.

GAF is for fun. I don't spect the OTs for this movie to be as fun as last time.

Which thrills me because it directly continues the idea of Lucas' representation of the Jedi in the prequels, where had they not been so robotic, egotistical and downright inhumane, Anakin wouldn't have had a reason to go to the dark side. That being said, I'm curious as to the specifics of how Luke was handling things and why Kylo went dark. Theoretically, Luke was initially building a new order of Jedi but this time involving the insight from the Force starting from Qui-Gon's teachings to Yoda and Obi-Wan while they were in exile.

You get the feeling that Qui-Gon learned a lot in the afterlife and passed it onto them, which is why they're more "sage-like" in the originals. When Episode 1 came out I remember a lot of people talking about how they imagined the Jedi to be more like Qui-Gon. He was the first Jedi to presumably become "one with" the Force upon death, and his discoveries in the Force afterlife or fucking whatever was passed onto Obi-Wan and Yoda, which I imagine would then be passed on to Luke through Force communication or even the ghosts appearing before Luke to discuss the matter.

So again-- what went wrong here? I think that's the question on Luke's mind, and his journey and exile to Ach-To is going to shed some light on it.

And in particular relation to that, how much was the problem actually inherent to Luke's order, and how much to Snoke's machinations?

Because as much as I'm growing fond of the idea of Jedi Protestantism/Orthodoxy/whatever, if the films actually depict a scenario where the blame for Kylo's fall can be laid 100% at the neglect of his parents and Snoke's influence, then Luke thinking he needs to reform the order at all is really, really dumb and unnecessary. Yet if he repeated the exact failings of the old Jedi Order, then... that's still potentially dumb, depending on how its depicted.

-griffy-

Banned
The trailer (and even the poster) made it seems as if Luke might turn into Vader 2.0, but I doubt Disney/LF is going to have one of the most iconic heroes in pop culture go evil.

I think it's weird/interesting how many people are making the leap from "Not into the Jedi ways" to "turning evil" for Luke.

Surfinn

Yup. This is where I think it's going too.

oh my god

Lol please don't

Sephzilla

Here's my armchair prediction of what Luke's arc will be in Episode 8 and potentially 9.

Luke took Kylo Ren's betrayal extremely personally. He probably feels like despite whatever changes he tried to do to ensure the past didn't repeat itself, it ended up happening anyway. And because of that he's probably not factoring in Snoke's influence as much as he should. Thus after Kylo Ren's betrayal Luke fled to the first Jedi Temple in order to discover the ways of the ancient Jedi and The Force itself, which is leading him to believe the Jedi as we know it need to end and the Jedi need to go through a reinterpretation of some level. Perhaps Luke is pushing it to an extreme because he's still beating himself up over what happened with Kylo Ren (and by extension Han Solo). Rey is going to end up serving as a figure who helps snap Luke out of the funk he's in and prove that not everything was Luke's fault.

And in particular relation to that, how much was the problem actually inherent to Luke's order, and how much to Snoke's machinations?

Kylo's fall to the dark side might not have been entirely Luke's fault but maybe Luke is just beating himself up over it too much?

Both plausible, I think. Rey's gonna be that spark for Luke that digs him out of the ditch.

This is tricky to discuss because we still don't know much about Snoke and he's a key figure in all of this.

LosDaddie

Banned
One thing I hope we get from TLJ is expanded Force powers. At least some damn fast running like we saw in TPM.

I think it's weird/interesting how many people are making the leap from "Not into the Jedi ways" to "turning evil" for Luke.

The music right after Luke speaks in the cave and even poster with Luke in red play right into that narrative.

Surfinn

Kylo's fall to the dark side might not have been entirely Luke's fault but maybe Luke is just beating himself up over it too much?

I wonder if Luke had sensed via the force that there would be another Jedi.. someone who he would pass the reigns down to. Kylo destroying everything lead him to meditate/look for guidance, then he discovered there would be another "hero".. so he wanted to learn all he could to pass down the best information. He's not going to retrain Jedi and restore his vision, but he's going to give all he can to Rey so that SHE will.

The future of the Jedi will be in Rey's hands.

And when your toolbox consists solely of a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.

And when you cosplay as a nail don't act aggrieved when everyone else in line with you catch hits to the head.

"Oh, people are going to be upset at sexism when it inevitably shows up, lolololol can't wait"

That's a weird stance to (proudly) take.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Rey's the real chosen one from the prophecies.

This is the beauty of the prophecy, everyone can be the Chosen One until they're not and then they get another one. I bet the Jedi ended up killing thousands of kids cus they thought they were the Chosen One.

The Jedi Temple's basement is filled with dead kids.

Both plausible, I think. Rey's gonna be that spark for Luke that digs him out of the ditch.

This is tricky to discuss because we still don't know much about Snoke and he's a key figure in all of this.

Yep.

Among the various questions that baffle me about him, perhaps the biggest is why he's tied to the First Order at all. Like, the Sith being tied to the Empire is because the Emperor who founded said empire was a Sith. The Sith in question being the ancient rivals of the Jedi Order. Hell, even before TPM revealed that connection, you can get some sense that the Jedi were a specific obstacle in Palpatine's way, so that's why he had Vader hunt them down.

So what is it that offends Snoke about both the Jedi and the New Republic that he would work his way up to being the Supreme Leader of the First Order so as to destroy them?

Emarv

I hadn't even thought of the issue with Luke continuing the following of the Jedi teachings. If he's able to have communion with Kenobi and Yoda, it'd make no sense for him to follow those old ways when those two began to slowly see their own errors. Or maybe not? Maybe they stopped advising him or advised him wrongly? Idk

Sephzilla

Actually I hope Luke finds an old Jedi book that says "THE CHOSEN ONE LEGEND IS PURE BULLSHIT". The whole Force-Jesus thing was stupid.

LosDaddie

Banned
Honestly this could be a very real possibility especially if she's a Skywalker

Rey is obviously being set up to be the bestest Jedi ever. But I doubt the prophecy is going to be brought up in this new trilogy....Or any of the prequel trilogy.

And when you cosplay as a nail don't act aggrieved when everyone else in line with you catch hits to the head.

"Oh, people are going to be upset at sexism when it inevitably shows up, lolololol can't wait"

That's a weird stance to (proudly) take.

Aggrieved? 😂 Nah, breh. GAF is just for fun.

I hadn't even thought of the issue with Luke continuing the following of the Jedi teachings. If he's able to have communion with Kenobi and Yoda, it'd make no sense for him to follow those old ways when those two began to slowly see their own errors. Or maybe not? Maybe they stopped advising him or advised him wrongly? Idk

Well, they saw their errors after ROTS and Qui-Gon sharing insight from the Force afterlife thingy. The Yoda and Kenobi in the originals had been corrected after being in exile and communing with Jinn who was in the Force servers. When Kenobi dies and disappears, he learned that from Qui-Gon, and the same for Yoda.

I would like to think Luke's new regime were also being partially guided from the deceased Jedi like Kenobi and Qui-Gon. But then Snoke and Kylo fucked everything up again, so Luke goes on a journey to learn more.

Kyoufu

I thought the Chosen One was confirmed as Anakin in The Clone Wars?

Right but this is something they can shift to a new character (Rey) at any time because there's no balance in the Force and there never will be in this cash cow of a franchise :p

GAF is just for fun.

that's a non-sequitur.

It obviously bothers you on some level because you consistently bring the shit up unprovoked and completely aside from whatever the current topic is.

Emoji + non-sequitur doesn't erase the transparency of your concern (trolling)

Actually I hope Luke finds an old Jedi book that says "THE CHOSEN ONE LEGEND IS PURE BULLSHIT". The whole Force-Jesus thing was stupid.

Or that there's never just the one "One," - take a page from the Matrix. There's always going to be someone the Force puts in a position to balance out people misusing it for selfish/misguided purposes, again and again, until the systems of power respond properly.

The prophecy isn't even really a prophecy, it was a warning. "Get it right, or we're going to make you do it over again."

Emarv

Well, they saw their errors after ROTS and Qui-Gon sharing insight from the Force afterlife thingy. The Yoda and Kenobi in the originals had been corrected after being in exile and communing with Jinn who was in the Force servers. When Kenobi dies and disappears, he learned that from Qui-Gon, and the same for Yoda.

I would like to think Luke's new regime were also being partially guided from the deceased Jedi like Kenobi and Qui-Gon. But then Snoke and Kylo fucked everything up again, so Luke goes on a journey to learn more.

"Force servers" cracked me up.

I'd be so down with the prophecy being wrong. Like Yoda comes up and says Shmi was a liar and just had a one night stand. The Skywalkers are just powerful frauds. Rey is the true Chosen One. Just for the trolling and to get rid of immaculate conception from this series.

Right but this is something they can shift to a new character (Rey) at any time because there's no balance in the Force and there never will be in this cash cow of a franchise :p

Anakin was the initial chosen one,
Luke came along and helped Anakin in the end fulfill that duty,
Rey may help Luke bring true balance to the Force

So rather than there just being one chosen one, it's more like there's going to be an individual that plays a key role in keeping the dark side at bay.

And Yoda did say it could've been misinterpreted, as mentioned.

There's one particular fan theory I'm fond of that would be interesting if they could canonise it somehow - the idea that the whole 'Chosen One' thing was somehow crafted by the Sith as a long con against the Jedi Order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom